Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-01-11, 08:49 PM   #51
kgrogers1979
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: How Do People Get So Fat?

I agree sugar is in everything. I used to eat Yoplait yogurt until I actually paid attention to the ingredients. High fructose corn syrup is one of the top five ingredients in Yoplait. I was astounded that something marketed as healthy was in actuality not healthy at all.

Serving sizes are also deliberately misleading in order to make it seem like the food isn't so bad. Back in the days when I didn't give a crap about healthy eating I ate a lot of cinnamon rolls. After I became more health conscious, I looked at the label and noticed that it was 160 calories. I thought that wasn't so horrible, then I noticed the serving size was only a third of the roll and then it did become horrible when I realized that it was actually almost 500 calories for one freaking cinnamon roll. Who the heck is only going to eat a third of the roll anyway?

I agree that people overestimate how much they are actually burning while exercising. One hour of cardio only burns about 300-400 calories. One large soft drink has that many calories, so drinking just one large drink completely negates the entire hour of cardio. That's why food is so much more important for weight loss than exercise. One hour of cardio burns the same amount of calories as just saying no to soft drinks.
Old 07-01-11, 09:44 PM   #52
kitkat
DVD Talk Special Edition

I too experienced the slow weight gain creep starting in my mid 30's. Prior to that I was always quite slender with no effort whatsoever so I didn't really understand how to regulate my weight. And although I noticed my slow weight gain, it took a few years for me to actually cross into overweight territory. I didn't like it, but I believed that it was something that just happens to many people as we get older, and I thought I should just accept my body as it was. I knew people who were thin without seeming to try, as I had been, and I also knew people who put themselves through ridiculous diets to battle their bulge, which seemed pretty miserable to me and also not so healthy mentally. There were also hard core athletic types but I had always sucked at sports and therefore hated that idea, it just seemed like more work that I was capable of.

Go forward a few more years and I had gone from overweight to downright fat (not Walmart scooter fat, just good old-fashioned regular fat). I was miserable and hated it, but I honestly believed, and all the evidence I saw around me backed it up, that fixing it through diet and exercise would require a herculean effort that I simply was not capable of and would leave me even more miserable. I did work towards improving my diet, which was never completely horrible to begin with but was just bad enough to allow the creep. I also liked to take walks, so at least I stabilized things, I guess.

It was only after a temporary change in my routine caused an 'accidental' weight loss that the lightbulb went on in my head and I realized that the messages I had been hearing all of my life, "just accept it," "you're fine," "it's part of getting older," "losing weight and keeping it off is just too hard for most people" were bullshit. It wasn't until I believed that little old unathletic me could actually do something about it that I was able to begin to fix it.

After that there was a lot of trial and error as I taught myself what I needed to do, what would work for me, and how to keep at it, but I'm now getting pretty close to the home stretch.

So to answer the OP's question, in addition to a slow weight gain being very easy to sneak up on a person, it also takes believing that change is possible and that it won't be as hard as you think. If you don't believe you can do it you probably won't even try.

Last edited by kitkat; 07-01-11 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-01-11, 09:49 PM   #53
AGuyNamedMike
DVD Talk Legend

I blame liberalism. That whole tolerance, "I'm ok, you're ok", let's give all the kids awards just for participating thing.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 07-01-11, 09:58 PM   #54
RunBandoRun
Needs to contact Admin about multiple accounts

Location: Formerly know as"Vibiana"/Living in a van down by the river

Well, I guess I'm one of those people the OP was talking about, because I went to the doctor on Wednesday and found that I weigh 314 pounds.

I have been over 250 for years, but since my honey left for her deployment last fall I gained weight because I'm eating in restaurants a lot more and not paying attention to anything. My good friends have all been more than willing to spend time with me and that time always seems to involve food. So even though I knew I'd gained weight, I never expected to go that high. I also let my house go completely to hell, mail piled up all over the dining room table and honey's Army trunks all over the living room so that I haven't been able to entertain all winter or spring.

I can't tell you why other people get so fat, but I can tell you how I did. You make food into your best friend and tell yourself that while humans in the world have disappointed you, chocolate or potatoes never have. And you believe it, because it's easier to hide away from the world and stuff yourself than to face what is really going on in your life.

I am so heavy now that even though I'm 5'9" and most people wouldn't guess I weigh as much as I do, I have trouble getting through small spaces--like between cars in a parking lot. I've already noted that when I fly, I routinely buy two seats. My back gives me agonies two or three times a year when I "throw it out" and I just found out yesterday that I have glaucoma. I'm not to the point yet where I have to sit in the scooter at Walmart but I've hit the top size they sell at most of the places I buy clothes. I'm determined to turn back now.

I know I've always defended fat people on here (except for that one myspace gal, lol) and I still believe that people should be judged according to their personalities, not their clothing sizes. But I've bumped up against my personal limit. I don't want to end up on Jerry Springer with a legend at the bottom of the TV screen reading "Vibiana, 500 pounds and loving it." I have lost weight before and know I will be able to do it again. But now that I'm entering my late forties (46 this month) and have no girly parts left to produce estrogen, the stakes are higher. I have a strong family history of heart disease, and my oldest brother just had a heart attack last week. He's the first of our generation. I don't want to follow in that tradition.

So last weekend I had a friend's stepdaughter come and clean my house, and now that my living room is clear I'm dancing with a Richard Simmons exercise tape every evening. Only ten minutes at a time now, but I plan to build on it and start taking better care of myself.

I've just bared as much of my soul to you guys as I've done for a long while, and since this is Otter I realize I'm in for some shit, but I had to get it out. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by RunBandoRun; 07-02-11 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-01-11, 10:00 PM   #55
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
But if your normal weight is 170 and you are 200, it's not very noticeable or a big deal. Put on 50 more and it becomes noticeable. Should that be a clue to change it up so as not to hit 300?
I don't buy the slow creep either. Maybe for the first 25-30 pounds, but 100-200?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainee View Post
I think it isn't calories per serving that's the trouble ... it's serving size. Food companies know this and they can be sneaky about serving size - setting them unrealistically (or impossibly) low to make the calorie/serving number look decent for anything.
I love this on 20oz soda bottles. 150 calories! ... 2.5 servings. Who the hell drinks a half a 20oz bottle?

Now Playing
Infamous: SS | Almost Finished Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Old 07-01-11, 10:23 PM   #56
kgrogers1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I don't buy the slow creep either. Maybe for the first 25-30 pounds, but 100-200?

For people that are only slightly overweight, then yes the slow creep does apply.

For people that are very large, it goes far deeper than just being lazy. If you have ever watched any weight loss programs like Biggest Loser or whatever, then almost all of the super-obese have some kind of psychological issue.

I know from personal experience because I used to weigh 400 lbs. It was depression, not laziness, that was my main culprit. Many depressed people eat for comfort, and that becomes a vicious cycle of being depressed and eating that leads to even more depression and eating.

Yes, I looked in the mirror every day and knew I was turning into a fatass. The thing is I just didn't care because I was depressed. Simple every day things like tying my shoes was becoming challenging, but I just didn't care. So yes, these super-obese people are aware they are super-obese. Its just depression is making them not care. Until you deal with the mental issues, the physical part won't ever change.
Old 07-01-11, 11:00 PM   #57
Ghostbuster

I read a book about motivation called Why We Do What We Do, and the author explained why many people fail to lose weight, stop smoking, or quit drinking. Basically, they feel external or internal pressure to change, but they haven't internalized the need for change and then freely made a commitment to change. People who try to change for the wrong reasons typically fail. People who decide to change for the right reason are likely to succeed.

Wrong reasons - negative feelings (shame, guilt, etc.), real or perceived pressure from someone else (spouse, friend, doctor, etc.), desire for acceptance/attention of others

Right reason - desire to improve health and relationships

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
So to answer the OP's question, in addition to a slow weight gain being very easy to sneak up on a person, it also takes believing that change is possible and that it won't be as hard as you think. If you don't believe you can do it you probably won't even try.
Yep. A person needs to to feel capable and in control, not incapable and controlled.

Last edited by Ghostbuster; 07-01-11 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-01-11, 11:05 PM   #58
Time Warrior

I think soda really is one of the big factors in weight gain. I used to have a job that involved spending long days on the road. Just to keep me going I would drink around four litres of Coke a day - surprise I ballooned and became very addicted to the caffeine.

In January this year I finally went cold turkey on soda. For days I had terrible caffeine withdrawal headaches, but within months without any other change in diet or exercise levels I lost a great deal of weight.

Soda really is the devil's candy and eliminating it from your diet is one of the great things you can do to help yourself.
Old 07-01-11, 11:17 PM   #59
dtcarson
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Soft drinks is definitely a big part of it. Unless you're drinking diet, you're getting tons of sugar and 100-500 calories per drink, depending on the size.

Prevalence of fast food and processed food, larger plate/portion sizes, the idea that 'we're so busy' (even though we actually have more free time than at most other times in history) so there's no time to cook from scratch, and a lack of knowledge of what one is eating. Plus the entitlement, instant-gratification society we live in. Eating for boredom, loneliness, depression, etc. The fact that there's so much potentially conflicting or confusing information out there (I should burn more calories than i take in, but if I take in too few, now I'm in starvation mode and gain weight; fat makes you fat, but some fat is good; I'm eating fine on calories, but what about cholesterol/fat/fiber/sugars/etc, etc.) And the fact that the stuff that's bad for you, tastes so good.
All of those are factors.

That said, it's easy to creep up, and someone gaining 1/2 lb or 1 lb a week might not notice it till its too late, and like Ghostbuster says, change must start from within. Many people who want to change don't do it right (gotta lose weight, so I'll starve myself - three days later, oh god, I'm starving, and they fall off the wagon hard, never to return.)

That said, I'm one of those who has multiple pounds to lose - I have started tracking everything I eat, and I've been surprised two ways - one, how many calories I used to eat (my regular [regular as in it's what I always got, not that I got it every day] Taco Bell lunch was about 1000 calories), and two, that it's possible to feel sated with much fewer calories (the first couple days I ate reasonable breakfast, lunch and dinner, and came in way under my goal calories while still feeling sated, but not stuffed.)

I think most people in that situation either honestly feel it crept up on them, or find themselves at a loss as to how to start dealing with it. And of course that can cause emotions which continue the spiral.
Old 07-02-11, 12:15 AM   #60
Hank Ringworm
Needs to provide a working email

Good luck, Vibiana! Takes a whole lot of courage to bare your soul in front of this crowd. If you can do that, you're surely strong enough to lose the weight.
Old 07-02-11, 12:21 AM   #61
Hank Ringworm

On a personal note, I gave up pizza and soda three weeks ago. (I was hovering around 235 -- muscle up top from lifting wine boxes every day, gut down below from drinking wine every night.) Pizza was a big problem because the Italian restaurant next to where I work gives us large, delicious pies for $3.

In those three weeks I've lost eight pounds. Effortlessly. So easily, in fact, that the ease of the thing has given me confidence to lose more.

I think the "eat because depressed, depressed because eat" has an inverse: "feel good because eat well, eat well because feel good". It just takes a little inspiration. Mine, of course, came from a woman. A good woman will make a man move the hills in and around his stomach, if not mountains outright.
Old 07-02-11, 12:54 AM   #62
JTH182

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
I blame liberalism. That whole tolerance, "I'm ok, you're ok", let's give all the kids awards just for participating thing.

I know you're kidding, but isn't it the conservatives (mostly Sarah Palin I guess) who think Michelle Obama is wrong for telling us to eat healthy?

A lot of it comes from the attitude "I'm a 'Merican dad gummit, and I'll eat whatever the hell I wanna eat, it's my Constitutional right (I'm sure it's in there somewhere)!"
Old 07-02-11, 01:04 AM   #63
DaveCole

As a kid I blame my parents for letting me eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. By the time I was 17 I was diabetic and weighed around 270. I dropped that down to 190 through eating very little and lots of exercise. (I miss all the free time I had then.)

Over the years it slowly came back. I went from size 38 to size 40 then 42 and finally after 10 years topped back out at 270 and size 44 pants. I knew it was happening, and would go on diets and exercise programs and drop 10-15lbs but then life would catch up with me and I would be too tired or too busy to make it to the gym and due to my job I was eating out more often than I was.

People know they are gaining the weight but eventually you just become fatalistic about it and accept it. Even after my heart attack and triple bypass last month after only turning 40, I find it difficult to lose weight. I seem to float around 250 which is 20lbs less than I was in January, but I can't seem to move below it. What I have lost has been due to watching everything I eat and getting back to walking for a couple hours a day. When I do get back to work in a couple weeks I will lose all the extra time and be back on the road constantly so we will see if I can keep up the downward trend.

*Edited to add* I don't blame my parents for the weight gain when I got older. That was all me and just not caring.
Old 07-02-11, 01:06 AM   #64
Hank Ringworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
I know you're kidding, but isn't it the conservatives (mostly Sarah Palin I guess) who think Michelle Obama is wrong for telling us to eat healthy?

A lot of it comes from the attitude "I'm a 'Merican dad gummit, and I'll eat whatever the hell I wanna eat, it's my Constitutional right (I'm sure it's in there somewhere)!"
As for the first part of this statement, I mostly agree. Kudos to the first lady for encouraging healty activity.

As for the second part, oh man. The Constitution guarantees not the rights of men, but the responsibilities of government. The fact that healthy eating is not mentioned therein is an indication that the personal oversight diet in general is -- per the 10th Amendment, if you want to get all legal -- a sort of Constitutional right. (Also, only a fool would argue that it is not a natural right to determine what you eat.)

I would tell you that stupid conservatives don't want Ms. Obama telling us to eat healthy. Smart ones don't want the government telling us to eat healthy. I, personally, know that the traditional role of the first lady is to support, rather than enforce good habits. I also realize, however, that liberals have a proven track record of enforcing good habits.

The big lesson of the Age of Reason is: you can't tell people what to be, but you can shape what they are into a workable society. The big lesson of the Age of Ego is: why, hell yes, I can! and why should I!
Old 07-02-11, 01:19 AM   #65
JTH182

Guess I should have added a "" to the end of that one.
Old 07-02-11, 02:08 AM   #66
hbilly

I grew up on U.S. Military bases here in Europe. First thing you will notice when driving on base: plenty of obese Army wives dragging 2-5 kids behind them.
It's not unusual to see them pushing two (!) shopping carts at once, filled with fatty food, towards the register at the Commissary.
Walk through one of the many food malls on base and you'll see them standing in line at Baskin Robbins, Charley's Grilled Subs, Taco Bell, Domino's, Popeye's or Burger King.

I'm sure there are many reasons and factors why people get so fat, but when you happen to live in junk food wonderland watching your weight can be a struggle.
Old 07-02-11, 04:01 AM   #67
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Sure, I had a big gut and I had to start buying weird sized pants. Then I woke up and changed. My question is why do people pass these milestones and just keep going until they are wearing those tent sized clothes?

I remember that not only did I have to buy larger size waists but I started buying shorter lengths because even with the larger waist, the pants hung lower. And I was only a 34. I can't imagine getting to 38 or higher.
I was up to a 44" pant size in Dockers and 46" in jeans when I decided to lose weight. I'm now a 34" in both types of pants. Yea, lost a foot in width.

I think it borders on a sickness. I was so miserable yet, didn't realize it. Meaning not only was my blood pressure up, but was out of breath just putting on my shoes (now I run 3 miles several times a week and lift weights). Everything was difficult, yet I didn't truly understand why.

One of the "shockers" for me was on an airline flight. I was the "fat guy" sitting next to the skinny attractive girl. When she put on her seat belt I noticed she had a good 12" to 18" of the belt left. When I put on my seat belt I actually struggle and almost had to ask for an extension!

Home Theater Build
Old 07-02-11, 04:09 AM   #68
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Warrior View Post
I think soda really is one of the big factors in weight gain. I used to have a job that involved spending long days on the road. Just to keep me going I would drink around four litres of Coke a day - surprise I ballooned and became very addicted to the caffeine.

In January this year I finally went cold turkey on soda. For days I had terrible caffeine withdrawal headaches, but within months without any other change in diet or exercise levels I lost a great deal of weight.

Soda really is the devil's candy and eliminating it from your diet is one of the great things you can do to help yourself.
Its not just soda, but ANY liquid calories. Like Starbucks, energy drinks, and such. Some of those drinks have 500+ calories easy. Yet, study after study shows that liquids don't make us feel full. So we eat just as much with meals and snacks.

Home Theater Build
Old 07-02-11, 04:14 AM   #69
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Lets also be clear; your actual pounds (the amount you weigh) is only one indicator of health and is not the end all be all. Meaning, you can be "skinny fat" and have much of the same problems of an overweight person.

Easy examples are pro athletes. A 6'0 230 lb running back could be in excellent health while a guy 200 lbs could be in terrible shape (high blood pressure, etc). For health, many now look at % of body fat as perhaps as big of a factor as total lbs.

Home Theater Build
Old 07-02-11, 05:58 AM   #70
atxbomber

Quote:
But if your normal weight is 170 and you are 200, it's not very noticeable or a big deal. Put on 50 more and it becomes noticeable. Should that be a clue to change it up so as not to hit 300?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
If you don't take the time to really look at yourself in a mirror (something big people don't like to do), it's a lot easier to let this happen than you might think. I've always been a big guy (6'5", 230-250lbs), and back in October I had a major flare of my Crohns that caused me to go on Prednisone for 8 months. During that time, the pred made it to where I was not only never full, I always felt like I was starving. I knew I was putting on some weight, but due to some depression caused by being sick for so long (and losing my job due to the illness), I never really paid attention to what I was seeing in the mirror.

It wasn't until I was off the prednisone that I really noticed that my reflection wasn't showing "a big guy" anymore, but a complete fat ass. I had gone from 242 in October to 296 in may. I had thought I'd maybe I had hit 260,and was horrified to see I'd not only hit 260, but I'd eaten it too.

Quote:
I love this on 20oz soda bottles. 150 calories! ... 2.5 servings. Who the hell drinks a half a 20oz bottle?
Yup. That's how it is on everything. It was horrifying to see stuff i was eating a whole bowl of comes in at 120 calories/serving... With a serving being 3/4 of a cup.

Thankfully, I completely cut out sodas and most junk foods, and have tried to be pretty diligent about keeping to serving sizes, and I've lost about 24lbs in just under 2 months. Still got a long ways to go, but I'm getting there.
psn: real_ultimaton
3DS: 3995-6651-2413

Last edited by atxbomber; 07-02-11 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-02-11, 06:04 AM   #71
Mankal
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Well, I guess I'm one of those people the OP was talking about, because I went to the doctor on Wednesday and found that I weigh 314 pounds.
Well you took the right first step in admitting there is a problem. I respect you for that and wish you the best in your weight loss plan. It's not easy and especially living alone, its hard to get that support.
Old 07-02-11, 06:36 AM   #72
jiffy97

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxbomber View Post
Yup. That's how it is on everything. It was horrifying to see stuff i was eating a whole bowl of come in at 120 calories/serving... With a serving being 3/4 of a cup.
A serving has nowhere near that many calories.
Old 07-02-11, 07:39 AM   #73
RoyalTea
DVD Talk Legend

the answer is not enough government control on our daily activities. If the government banned daily diets of more than 2000 calories and mandated exercise, this shit wouldn't happen.
Old 07-02-11, 08:50 AM   #74
Larry C.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post

I have been over 250 for years, but since my honey left for her deployment last fall I gained weight because I'm eating in restaurants a lot more and not paying attention to anything. My good friends have all been more than willing to spend time with me and that time always seems to involve food. So even though I knew I'd gained weight, I never expected to go that high. I also let my house go completely to hell, mail piled up all over the dining room table and honey's Army trunks all over the living room so that I haven't been able to entertain all winter or spring.

I can't tell you why other people get so fat, but I can tell you how I did. You make food into your best friend and tell yourself that while humans in the world have disappointed you, chocolate or potatoes never have. And you believe it, because it's easier to hide away from the world and stuff yourself than to face what is really going on in your life.

I am so heavy now that even though I'm 5'9" and most people wouldn't guess I weigh as much as I do, I have trouble getting through small spaces--like between cars in a parking lot. I've already noted that when I fly, I routinely buy two seats. My back gives me agonies two or three times a year when I "throw it out" and I just found out yesterday that I have glaucoma. I'm not to the point yet where I have to sit in the scooter at Walmart but I've hit the top size they sell at most of the places I buy clothes. I'm determined to turn back now.

I know I've always defended fat people on here (except for that one myspace gal, lol) and I still believe that people should be judged according to their personalities, not their clothing sizes. But I've bumped up against my personal limit. I don't want to end up on Jerry Springer with a legend at the bottom of the TV screen reading "Vibiana, 500 pounds and loving it." I have lost weight before and know I will be able to do it again. But now that I'm entering my late forties (46 next month) and have no girly parts left to produce estrogen, the stakes are higher. I have a strong family history of heart disease, and my oldest brother just had a heart attack last week. He's the first of our generation. I don't want to follow in that tradition.

So last weekend I had a friend's stepdaughter come and clean my house, and now that my living room is clear I'm dancing with a Richard Simmons exercise tape every evening. Only ten minutes at a time now, but I plan to build on it and start taking better care of myself.

I've just bared as much of my soul to you guys as I've done for a long while, and since this is Otter I realize I'm in for some shit, but I had to get it out. Thanks for listening.

Good luck girl please keep it up cause we don't wanna lose you! BTW I'm 6'2" and always played sports in HS Football and Basketball and in my Sr year I fractured my ankle and gained some weight due to the fact that I was eating the same but was unable to practice or workout. So I became a little overweight.

My ankle got better, but I was out of HS now and had a GF no need to lose weight Broke up met my ex-wife got married at 22 and woke up one day and said I wanted to be at my old weight. Went on Weight Watchers along with playing basketball at the park everyday and lifting a bit of weights at home I lost 45 lbs in 6 weeks.

Its was all "gravy" until I got divorced and went through a depression of not being with my kids day in and day out. Now its all about how you feel. I had friends tell me I was fine and didn't look overweight but its all about how you feel. I haven't gone through the things you mentioned about fitting in between cars and what not and I really feel for you, its gotta be hard getting up and being active but stick with it. I'm 37 now and you have inspired me to take up weight watchers again and keep it up not just for looks but to be healthier overall.
Miami Heat 2012 NBA Champions!!
Miami Heat 2013 NBA Champions!!!
Old 07-02-11, 10:15 AM   #75
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

Wait, where are all these Otter fatties coming from? I thought everyone here had 2% body fat and a 12" cock (or an impressively large tit size for the ladies.)
Sponsored Links