Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-08-11, 12:49 PM   #26
orangecrush
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Re: U.S. Dept of Education uses SWAT team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
Man... While the usual crew of anti-police gang have jumped up to denounce the use of SWAT, in this one case they have a point. If these facts hold up, this is clearly a silly over-reach of SWAT. I say "if these facts hold up" because in most cases on this board they have not (yet oddly when they crumble no retractions are made).
If the facts are simply what is stated in the OP (which they probably are not), then it is a lot worse than a silly over-reach.

gamertag: IAMNOTwiththem
Old 06-08-11, 12:49 PM   #27
Kasha
Cool New Member

Quote:
Questions surround feds' raid of Stockton home
10:13 AM, Jun 8, 2011

STOCKTON, CA - A federal official Wednesday morning offered little information as to why federal agents raided a Stockton man's home Tuesday morning.

The resident, Kenneth Wright, does not have a criminal record and he had no reason to believe what he thought was a S.W.A.T team would be breaking down his door at 6 a.m. Tuesday.

"I look out of my window and I see 15 police officers," Wright said.

Wright came downstairs in his boxer shorts as he says the officers barged through his front door. Wright said an officer grabbed him by the neck and led him outside on his front lawn.

"He had his knee on my back and I had no idea why they were there," Wright said.

According to Wright, officers also woke his three young children, ages 3, 7, and 11, and put them in a Stockton police patrol car with him. Officers then searched his house.

As it turned out, the person law enforcement was looking for - Wright's estranged wife - was not there.

"They put me in handcuffs in that hot patrol car for six hours, traumatizing my kids," Wright said.

Wright said he later went to Stockton Mayor Ann Johnston and Stockton Police Department, but learned the city of Stockton had nothing to do with the search warrant.

A U.S. government official confirmed for News10 Wednesday morning federal agents with the Office of the Inspector General (OIG), not local S.W.A.T., served the search warrant. The official would not say specifically why the raid took place. He did say the search was not related to student loans in default.

He went on to say OIG is a semi-independent branch of the U.S. Department of Education that executes warrants for criminal offenses such as student aid fraud and embezzlement of federal aid.

"They busted down my door for this," Wright said. "It wasn't even me."

The Stockton Police Department said it was asked by federal agents to provide one officer and one patrol car just for a police presence when carrying out the search warrant.

Police officers did not participate in breaking Wright's door, handcuffing him, or searching his home.

"All I want is an apology for me and my kids and for them to get me a new door," Wright said.
http://www.news10.net/news/article/1...-Stockton-home
Old 06-08-11, 12:55 PM   #28
Pizza
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
It's interesting to see how people somehow view and react to this differently than the other needless, violent, and sometimes deadly 50,000+ paramilitary raids a year in the US.
Start a thread for each of those and we'll react. It's not real until it's a thread in otter.
Old 06-08-11, 12:56 PM   #29
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

Stop telling me what to do!!!

You're delicious btw...

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 06-08-11, 12:59 PM   #30
foofighters7

Bottom line, unless she had been making terrorist like threats I still don't understand why they did this.

If she did pull a student aid scam or embezzled money I don't see why they should make such a violent over-the-top response for a non-violent offense.
Old 06-08-11, 01:08 PM   #31
Navinabob
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasha View Post
WHAT? Another side to this story? Well I for one didn't see that coming...

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
Old 06-08-11, 01:14 PM   #32
fishingleatity

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighters7 View Post
Bottom line, unless she had been making terrorist like threats I still don't understand why they did this.

If she did pull a student aid scam or embezzled money I don't see why they should make such a violent over-the-top response for a non-violent offense.
I find myself agreeing with you far too often... and I also like the Foo Fighters. Want to run off together and get married?
Old 06-08-11, 01:46 PM   #33
focker
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can't believe the Department of Education even has access to a SWAT team. We can just add that to the list of reasons that the entire department should be abolished.

What's next? Will the EPA or the Department of Energy send SWAT to people's houses for hoarding incandescent light bulbs? Maybe the Department of Agriculture can send out SWAT when a farmer being paid not to grow is suspected of selling vegetables illicitly. The FDA can send SWAT to Amish farms selling unpasteurized milk.
Old 06-08-11, 01:51 PM   #34
RoyalTea
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
Will the EPA or the Department of Energy send SWAT to people's houses for hoarding incandescent light bulbs?
you kid, but I'd honestly be shocked if I don't hear about an armed raid to take out a supplier of black-market lightbulbs within the next decade.
Old 06-08-11, 02:01 PM   #35
Navinabob
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It does not appear to be a large or well-funded group as they had to ask for 30 new shotguns to replace their 20 year old set. I'm getting the impression that these are not high-tech assassins. Here is a link to the Department of Energy's SWAT group.

http://www.specialoperations.com/Domestic/DOE/Y12.htm

And as I dig deeper... The Department of Education uses the SWAT team from The Office of Inspector General and is responsible for the detection of waste, fraud, abuse, and other criminal activity involving Federal education funds, programs, and operations. As such, OIG operates with full statutory law enforcement authority, which includes conducting search warrants, making arrests, and carrying firearms.

So I can see why they'd be used in general... I'm waiting to see why there were used in this case.

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
Old 06-08-11, 02:17 PM   #36
FlickMan
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Quote:

Welcome to Nazi America...I suspect similar crap like this went down under Bush..look what what Clinto allowed for Wacko when the freak could have been picked up in town buying groceries...but I bet nobody figured the same shit would happen under Obama.
Old 06-08-11, 02:56 PM   #37
foofighters7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingleatity View Post
I find myself agreeing with you far too often... and I also like the Foo Fighters. Want to run off together and get married?
Reminds me of...

"I miss your musk... When this all gets sorted out, I think you and me should get an apartment together!"
Old 06-08-11, 03:04 PM   #38
starman9000
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
WHAT? Another side to this story? Well I for one didn't see that coming...
Really? That's what you got from that link? It's the exact same story.

SWAT isn't a national organization, so you can say it's OIG and not SWAT, but that doesn't change anything.

Last edited by starman9000; 06-08-11 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-08-11, 03:05 PM   #39
Supermallet
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
I can't believe the Department of Education even has access to a SWAT team. We can just add that to the list of reasons that the entire department should be abolished.

What's next? Will the EPA or the Department of Energy send SWAT to people's houses for hoarding incandescent light bulbs? Maybe the Department of Agriculture can send out SWAT when a farmer being paid not to grow is suspected of selling vegetables illicitly. The FDA can send SWAT to Amish farms selling unpasteurized milk.
There are already armed raids on co-op markets that sell unpasteurized milk. There's one in Los Angeles that's been raided multiple times.
Old 06-08-11, 03:06 PM   #40
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 06-08-11, 03:28 PM   #41
fishingleatity

Quote:
Reminds me of...

"I miss your musk... When this all gets sorted out, I think you and me should get an apartment together!"
I had to look that up... only saw Anchorman once, right after it came to dvd

But this is one of the best KiTH sketches! :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpCIYlRRw_o
Old 06-08-11, 03:47 PM   #42
Navinabob
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post

SWAT isn't a national organization, so you can say it's OIG and not SWAT, but that doesn't change anything.
Well, the difference is The Office of Inspector General who job it is to monitor federal funds is a different arm and a bit separate from the Department of Education. Plus, it looks like an "unpaid loan" wasn't really the cause. It's like everyone getting outraged by an article from PETA like "Man shoots cat walking on property" without the key detail that the cat in question was a mountain lion.

A U.S. government official confirmed for News10 Wednesday morning federal agents with the Office of the Inspector General (OIG), not local S.W.A.T., served the search warrant. The official would not say specifically why the raid took place. He did say the search was not related to student loans in default.

Old 06-08-11, 03:53 PM   #43
RoyalTea
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Well, the difference is The Office of Inspector General who job it is to monitor federal funds is a different arm and a bit separate from the Department of Education. Plus, it looks like an "unpaid loan" wasn't really the cause. It's like everyone getting outraged by an article from PETA like "Man shoots cat walking on property" without the key detail that the cat in question was a mountain lion.

The only two pieces of information that I believe matter are:
  • Was a team armed agents used in a military-style raid?
  • Was the target of the raid a threat to anybody else's life?

If the answer to question 1 is "yes," then the answer to question 2 damn sure better be "yes" as well. If not, it's insanity.
Old 06-08-11, 03:56 PM   #44
Navinabob
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
The only two pieces of information that I believe matter are:
  • Was a team armed agents used in a military-style raid?
  • Was the target of the raid a threat to anybody else's life?

If the answer to question 1 is "yes," then the answer to question 2 damn sure better be "yes" as well. If not, it's insanity.
Agreed 100%.

Old 06-08-11, 04:25 PM   #45
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

"Agh! The police are coming to arrest me for defaulted student loans! I must destroy all evidence that I ever went to college! ... um... now, where did I put it? "

Yeah, they really needed the SWAT team to prevent destruction of evidence.

It's times like these that I think my brother is right to live in a cave in the woods. After all, they just dropped in on her last known address, so, if you don't have a known address...
Old 06-08-11, 04:29 PM   #46
Navinabob
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It looks like ABC News has retracted their story and issued a new one.

Feds defend Department of Education SWAT team raid
The Education Department is confirming that a SWAT team sent by its Inspector General raided a California home, but says the officers were conducting a criminal probe - not pursuing a woman because she could not pay her student loans, as has been reported.

The story of the Stockton raid went viral early Wednesday after a local ABC station reported that the inspector general and local law enforcement authorities had executed a warrant because she had defaulted on federal student loans.

Justin Hamilton, the Education Department’s press secretary, said that story is wrong.

“While it was reported in local media that the search was related to a defaulted student loan, that is incorrect. This is related to a criminal investigation,” he said. “The Inspector General’s Office does not execute search warrants for late loan payments.”

The TV station has since taken down the original story on its website and posted an updated one.

Hamilton declined to comment on the specifics of the case because it is “an ongoing criminal investigation.” He did, though, say that the independent inspector general executes 30 to 35 search warrants each year on issues including bribery, fraud and embezzlement of federal financial aid money.

The woman who police were looking for, meanwhile, wasn’t in the home at the time. Her estranged husband lives there.

Also... now we know that SWAT was not used. There was no-paramilitary force, just normal federal agents.

Old 06-08-11, 04:58 PM   #47
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

Nobody broke his door down?

Darn, I was getting a good het up going.
Old 06-08-11, 05:21 PM   #48
MoviePage
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Never would have guessed that there was more going in this story than was originally reported. (Or less going on, as the case may be.) I was half expecting the first post to point out that it was the same team that got Bin Laden.
Old 06-08-11, 05:37 PM   #49
starman9000
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
It looks like ABC News has retracted their story and issued a new one.

Feds defend Department of Education SWAT team raid
The Education Department is confirming that a SWAT team sent by its Inspector General raided a California home, ....

Also... now we know that SWAT was not used. There was no-paramilitary force, just normal federal agents.
huh?
Old 06-08-11, 05:38 PM   #50
PopcornTreeCt
DVD Talk Hero

*phew I don't have to payback my loans now.
Sponsored Links