Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-05-11, 06:01 PM   #1
JZ1276
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Annoying next door neighbors...

My family and I have been living in the same corner house now for 50+ years. Last year, our elderly woman neighbor was put in an old folks home and her 60-ish yr old son moved in. Since then he has had two tenants move into his house who all park their cars in front of our home. They have 2 driveways that are never used. Being that we've lived here so long, we kind of feel like these spots are ours, but know anyone who wants to can park wherever they want on the street. We also have people who live 2 houses down and people across the street actually park in front of our house and directly behind our driveway making almost impossible to pull out when there are cars parked on both sides of our driveway already. This infuriates my brother as he has claimed his spot years ago and cannot leave for 5 minutes without one of these neighbors taking it. I usually park in the garage our driveway so I'm not too bothered with it. He's talking about putting notes on their cars, but I think that'll makes us looks like pricks by even bringing it up to them. Anyway, any advice? Sugar in the gas tank? banana in the tailpipe?
Old 06-05-11, 06:04 PM   #2
Bacon
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Annoying next door neighbors...

Mature way-kindly ask them to move the cars
Otter way- be a jerk and show out and pick a fight over it

Ask them to move the cars
Old 06-05-11, 06:05 PM   #3
GMan2819
DVD Talk Special Edition

Post a top view drawing of the street layout, the driveways, the neighbors houses, etc so that we know what you're whining about.
Old 06-05-11, 06:16 PM   #4
Supermallet
Time Lord

Sleep with the retarded one.

Wait, which thread is this again?
Old 06-05-11, 06:22 PM   #5
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

Have the cars towed. Be sure to video their reactions when the tow truck arrives.
Old 06-05-11, 06:26 PM   #6
NORML54601
DVD Talk Legend

WTF? A 60-year-old guy with 2 roommates? And how old are you? Why do you still live with your parents & brother?
Old 06-05-11, 06:32 PM   #7
printerati
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
WTF? A 60-year-old guy with 2 roommates? And how old are you? Why do you still live with your parents & brother?
Old 06-05-11, 07:03 PM   #8
Septemberbaby
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm confused. Do you OWN the street?
Yes, you've been there forever, and yes it may SEEM like it's your street, but
I don't think you have an legal say in this. It's a public street. Anyone can park there.
You catch more bees with honey .. yada, yada, yada.
Why not reach out and have a discussion about how you feel about them parking in front your house on a pubic street. Or you can park your cars there and this way they won't be able to.. or you can park YOUR cars in front of their house and see what that solves.
Old 06-05-11, 07:09 PM   #9
EdTheRipper
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
he has claimed his spot years ago and cannot leave for 5 minutes without one of these neighbors taking it.
My grandfather used to be that way. The parking spot in front of his house was HIS spot and perish the thought of anyone else parking in it. He'd leave notes on cars and then wonder why things would get tense with the neighbors.

The bottom line is this...on-street parking is essentially chaos. There are no designated spots and people who "claim" spots are subscribing to an antiquated way of thinking. You can't control on-street parking and never will be able to. It sucks to say but if people have driveways and don't want to park their cars in them, it's really not your business. You just kind of have to suck it up and make the best of it.
Old 06-05-11, 07:21 PM   #10
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
Sleep with the retarded one.

Wait, which thread is this again?

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 06-05-11, 07:48 PM   #11
Shannon Nutt
DVD Talk Legend

So there's this one episode of CHEERS where Norm comes in and someone's sitting on HIS stool....
Old 06-05-11, 08:01 PM   #12
Navinabob
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tough luck. Public parking. You can take the spot yourself and switch cars with the one in the driveway. First one home gets the street, second person gets the driveway.

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
Old 06-05-11, 08:23 PM   #13
DeputyDave
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
My grandfather used to be that way. The parking spot in front of his house was HIS spot and perish the thought of anyone else parking in it. He'd leave notes on cars and then wonder why things would get tense with the neighbors.

The bottom line is this...on-street parking is essentially chaos. There are no designated spots and people who "claim" spots are subscribing to an antiquated way of thinking. You can't control on-street parking and never will be able to. It sucks to say but if people have driveways and don't want to park their cars in them, it's really not your business. You just kind of have to suck it up and make the best of it.
This
Old 06-05-11, 08:31 PM   #14
movie diva
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ask the neighbor if you can park in one of his driveways, because no one uses them and the parking on the street is horrible.
Silence is golden; duct tape is silver. -Kittydreamer
Old 06-05-11, 08:37 PM   #15
Rival11
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: N.Y. and I would have changed my username but just like Chuck Finley...Rival11 is forever

Ugh, I had this problem not too long ago (not the EXACT same problem...I just had a shit bag neigh-boor who was a pack rat).

First...don't do anything stupid...It will come back to bite you on the ass.

The best thing to do is be persistent in asking them....but always try to stay of their property (meaning don't go over their house to ask). Constantly asking the same damn question as often as you can has a better effect than you may give it credit for.

I got lucky with getting rid of my old sucmbag neigh-boor because of his loud dog and pack rat tendencies (simple calls to the police took care of it) but it turns out I wasn't the only one complaining.
Old 06-05-11, 08:37 PM   #16
BambooLounge
DVD Talk Special Edition

The OP is exactly why people by me give people from Long Island shit. "Wah, it's my spot." No, it is not your spot. You live in the burbs, you have driveways and garages, you don't get to own public curbside parking spots.

Growing up in the burbs it may come to a shock to you that yes, street parking can be annoying, especially if you live in a city and have to deal with alternate side parking. I did it for years before finally getting fed up and I now pay rent to keep my car in a lot. I'm sure your block is filled w/empty spots, but those would require you to walk like 5 feet extra or something.

If people are parked illegally in your driveway that is a different story. Call the cops and get their cars towed if they are blocking the driveway. But even saying something to your neighbors over them parking legally in public parking spots is ridiculous and if I was in their position I would make a point to park in those spots.
Old 06-05-11, 08:38 PM   #17
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

If you live in suffolk county rat him out. Pretty sure you can't have 2 tenants in a 1 family home
Old 06-05-11, 08:41 PM   #18
Spottedfeather
Banned

If they're blocking your car in the driveway, just back out until you touch his car. Then, keep backing out until there's enough space to get out. If his car is in the street and gets hit,....so what ? It would be his fault for parking where he's not supposed to.
Old 06-05-11, 08:42 PM   #19
crazyronin
DVD Talk Legend

Dear OP,

You do not own the street, the curb, or the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street. You have no say in who parks in "your" spot.
sincerely,
crazyronin
Old 06-05-11, 08:43 PM   #20
BambooLounge
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: the whole sugar in the gas tank or banana in tailpiple crap...

VINCENT
I just wish I caught 'em doin' it,
ya know? Oh man, I'd give anything
to catch 'em doin' it. It'a been
worth his doin' it, if I coulda just
caught 'em, you know what I mean?

LANCE
It's chicken shit. You don't fuck
another man's vehicle.
Old 06-05-11, 08:45 PM   #21
Spottedfeather
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyronin View Post
Dear OP,

You do not own the street, the curb, or the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street. You have no say in who parks in "your" spot.
sincerely,
crazyronin
Maybe not, but it's a huge problem if they're blocking him from leaving his property.
Old 06-05-11, 08:46 PM   #22
Spottedfeather
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
The OP is exactly why people by me give people from Long Island shit. "Wah, it's my spot." No, it is not your spot. You live in the burbs, you have driveways and garages, you don't get to own public curbside parking spots.

Growing up in the burbs it may come to a shock to you that yes, street parking can be annoying, especially if you live in a city and have to deal with alternate side parking. I did it for years before finally getting fed up and I now pay rent to keep my car in a lot. I'm sure your block is filled w/empty spots, but those would require you to walk like 5 feet extra or something.

If people are parked illegally in your driveway that is a different story. Call the cops and get their cars towed if they are blocking the driveway. But even saying something to your neighbors over them parking legally in public parking spots is ridiculous and if I was in their position I would make a point to park in those spots.
Then, you sir, would be what we call a female cleansing product.
Old 06-05-11, 08:49 PM   #23
crazyronin
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
Maybe not, but it's a huge problem if they're blocking him from leaving his property.
If that part is true, call the cops and get their ass towed. Or buy a junker as a driveway entrance sweeper (bonus points for getting up to 30 mph before hitting the street.)
Old 06-05-11, 08:50 PM   #24
nemein

If they are really blocking the drive try calling the police to see if they can ticket or even tow it.

"When you look really deep, we are all kind of shallow" -- unknown

My Countdown Counting down to: End of the countdown clock
2204 days 22 hours 37 minutes
Old 06-05-11, 10:25 PM   #25
resinrats
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

24 posts an no one has suggested the 'offer to pee in butt' solution.
Sponsored Links