DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-16-14, 07:30 PM   #151
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Is There Any Place To Live Safe From Mother Nature's Wrath?

Coming up on three years now. The following video was just posted to YouTube a couple of weeks ago... Joplin says "Thank You" to the thousands of volunteers who dropped everything and who rushed to Missouri to help their neighbors get right.

Just before Christmas 2011, the people of Joplin mailed over 100,000 Thank You cards to the volunteers from around the world who came to their tornado-ravaged community to held a helping hand. Each card included a personalized note from a resident.

Here's mine:

My son and I are heading back at the end of June. I'll post updated photos of as many of the "after" locations from 2011 as I can.

...and I'm going to try to score one of those great "We Are Joplin" shirts.
Old 05-20-14, 12:17 AM   #152
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I live like 60 miles from Joplin and hear the story of the rebuilding almost daily. It is really a great story and I enjoy hearing of all the progress they have made. I went back and seen the hardest hit areas about a month after it happened (Me and the family were at Chuck E. Cheese when it hit, which was like 2 miles form ground zero) and it was a scary sight then, the hospital that was destroyed and shown (and the med flight helicopter) were really scary because just over a year before my daughter was in that hospital and used that very same helicopter after a car accident and it was surreal seeing it in ruins. I never worried about the Tornado Warning before but after that day I heed every warning and just last month (4-27) we had a EF-2 tornado hit a little town 6 miles north of where I live, My wife's uncle works at a grain elevator that was hit by that tornado but luckily he was off work at the time

Last edited by JJE-187; 05-20-14 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-20-14, 06:15 AM   #153
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for posting the video, Ken. And thanks to you, Nefarious and others for the volunteer work.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 05-21-14, 10:48 PM   #154
DVD Talk Legend

"I just can't imagine all the hell that you went through
And the feeling that all hope was lost on May 22
And the fear and anger and the tears that were cried
For all your friends and family that didn't make it out alive

I see the hope, I feel the tenderness
I see the way to rebuild this hometown through all the broken mess
And I know that your lives won't be the same
But our love will shine bright through all your pain"

God Bless Joplin - your sons and daughters love you.
Old 05-22-14, 08:52 PM   #155
DVD Talk Hero

Is There Any Place To Live Safe From Mother?

No, there is not.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 05-23-14, 07:48 AM   #156
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Is There Any Place To Live Safe From Mother?

No, there is not.
I have to agree. Looks like we had a Tornado touchdown in Upstate NY yesterday, about 10 miles or so from our house.

Deadman31: how does Inuit oral history compare with Inuit anal history? Sean O'Hara: Seal blubber is a horrible lubricant. Let's just leave it at that.
Old 05-23-14, 09:37 AM   #157
DVD Talk Legend

Three years and a day... moving forward and looking to Joplin's future now.

Here's a video I've held back until today. This was shot two years ago at the interim home of Joplin High School inside Northpark Mall. Sure, it's just a campy 8+ minute lip dub of a couple of pop songs, but not only do you get to see the entire school and every student attending there, you really get a feel for just how resilient these kids are. They're bursting with pride and excitement, and as cheesy as the video may be, it's really uplifting to see something as flat-out joyful as this come from the hearts of kids who had to endure hell.

"Jop-lin Ea-gles!"

A note on the song selection... Katy Perry's song was selected because...
Spoiler:

http://www.koamtv.com/story/16954917...-expenses-paid

Quote:
Joplin Seniors get a Surprise for Prom: Most Expenses Paid

JOPLIN, MISSOURI - The senior class at Joplin High School receives a surprise for their upcoming prom.

Students received a special message at a meeting this afternoon. Pop sensation Katy Perry delivered the message to the seniors during morning announcements via a video.

Although she won't be performing at their prom, students will receive free prom dresses, free flowers, the prom will be held at the Hammons Convention Center, and many other perks for this year's senior dance. The seniors will have free portraits and boys will also receive tuxedos at a lowered rate of $50.

Organizers say they wanted to make the event extra special for students who have been through a lot in the past year.

"It was something I came up with as a mom thinking about how your senior year should be and this is an unusual circumstance," says Melissa Blayton of the Ambush Squad. "So wanting to do something to give these kids a last hoorah, to get them excited about the end of the year, and it's something through the collaboration of a lot of amazing people I was able to pull together."

The dance will take place Saturday, April 21.
Old 05-21-15, 11:15 PM   #158
DVD Talk Legend

^bump for today's four year anniversary.

If you have an opportunity to see this documentary.. Heartland.. you really should. There's a scene early on where the family that was recording video from their front porch in the trailer comes back out from the shelter to see what the EF5 left behind... the shock and despair you hear in their voices to their initial reaction is absolutely heartbreaking. But the documentary isn't about the loss that Joplin endured... it's a story of survival and recovery. And as hard as the first half of the film is to watch, the feelings of joy that the second half brings is absolutely wonderful.
Old 05-22-15, 12:43 PM   #159
DVD Talk Legend

This article from today's Joplin Globe is behind a pay wall, so I'm reposting it in its entirety:

Linky: http://www.joplinglobe.com/opinion/c...ab25f5ef9.html

Kaycee O'Dell, 6, watches the ceremony to mark the one-year anniversary of the Joplin tornado at Cunningham Park from her perch on the memorial ring on May 22, 2012.

Spoiler:
Quote:
Our View: Joplin has everything it needs to move forward
Joplin Globe Editorial - Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 7:00 am

-------------

We remember today, as we will every May 22, the lives of our friends, our family and even the strangers among us who died as a consequence of an EF-5 tornado.

There were 161 fatalities and thousands injured. A third of Joplin that had existed before that day in 2011 was gone.

Four years later, we still remember. But we also move forward.

As a community, we worked together to create ways to connect with our past. Cunningham Park is considered Joplin’s ground zero and was rebuilt by the city as a memorial. A memorial wall includes the names of those who died. A reflective pool was built in honor of the children who died, and there are 161 trees planted to represent each life lost.

To the south of Cunningham will be Mercy Park, the place where St. John’s Regional Medical Center once stood before it was battered by the tornado. Earlier this year, the beautiful Mercy Garden, where the St. John’s Chapel once stood, was dedicated as part of the grand opening observance for the new Mercy Hospital Joplin.

This month, the City Council agreed to build a $4.8 million park with a lake, walking and bike trails, woodlands, a meadow and open green space around the garden. We expect many to use the park as a way to remember.

What started out after the tornado as the Joplin Memorial Run has evolved into the Joplin Memorial Half marathon, which takes runners through the tornado area. Banners carrying photos of those who died are set along the run. This year, more than 2,000 people participated in the various runs and 400 people volunteered. It’s a poignant event and another way that Joplin connects.

Early Sunday morning tornado sirens sounded in Joplin. Because we have moved forward and learned from our past, far more people had a place to go than they did four years ago. Whether it was in their own new tornado shelter or one of the community shelters, the people of Joplin are safer.

Businesses have been re-established, the schools are rebuilt, the hospital has opened, homes and apartments are filling the open lots. Plans for a new library are in the works, and the city is going forward with a senior living area west of McClelland Boulevard. The sudden departure of Joplin’s master developer at the beginning of the year has done little to deter plans for Joplin’s progress. In fact, it appears that we are doing what we did best in the immediate aftermath of the tornado: We picked ourselves up and went to work.

Joplin, we’ve got everything we need to keep moving forward.

We’ve got each other.

And also today, the last remaining fund that had been established in 2011 for Joplin's tornado victims dissolved its' board and distributed the remaining monies after redirecting $1M in relief aid.

Linky: http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/m...dfa38cac8.html

This chapter in Joplin's story has closed, but there's certainly a lot of history yet to be written. It really is time to look forward to what she can become, and be proud of what she's already accomplished.
Old 05-29-15, 05:14 PM   #160
DVD Talk Limited Edition

California

We never get rain and earthquakes rarely happen.
Old 05-31-15, 10:31 AM   #161
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
California

We never get rain and earthquakes rarely happen.
Not after seeing the movie San Andreas. That shit just got real. Plus The Rock lives there, so I'm not moving to that state.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 05-31-15, 12:58 PM   #162
DVD Talk Legend

I saw the 1970s movie Earthquake with Charlton Heston and came to the exact same conclusion.
Old 05-31-15, 01:58 PM   #163

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles

I'd take earthquakes every day of the week. Better than having your house ripped off it's foundation and flown through the air Wizard of OZ style!

California for the win!

But please, everyone... stay out of California, we have no water and traffic sucks big time ball sacks. That, plus, everything is super expensive out here! Forget buying a stater home, even in the ghetto (Inglewood, Compton) starter homes are $500k.
Days of speed and slow time Mondays, pissing down with rain on a boring Wednesday, watching the news and not eating your tea, a freezing cold flat and damp on the walls - That's Entertainment - The Jam
Old 05-31-15, 02:04 PM   #164
DVD Talk Special Edition

Somalia maybe, I never hear anything bad about the weather there.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”
― H.L. Mencken
Old 05-31-15, 04:03 PM   #165
DVD Talk Legend

They just don't have shit to eat there.
Old 05-23-16, 09:57 AM   #166
DVD Talk Legend

^ 5th anniversary bump.

From CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/22/us/jop...o-anniversary/
Quote:
Five years ago, a tornado ripped through the Missouri city of Joplin, tearing apart buildings and neighborhoods, and killing about 160 people. As it marks the fifth anniversary Sunday, Joplin has worked to rebuild, both its spirits and buildings.

Here are five things to know about the deadly storm -- facts and memories of that day:

It was the deadliest in the U.S. in decades

The Joplin tornado was the deadliest in the United States since 1950 -- when modern record-keeping began. It injured more than 1,000 people and packed winds of more than 200 mph.

The storm damaged or destroyed 7,500 residences and 500 businesses, displaced 9,200 people, affected 5,000 employees and generated 3 million cubic yards of debris, said a report from the city of Joplin.

National Weather Service made changes after Joplin

After the tornado struck, the National Weather Service sent an assessment team to study the community's preparedness and make key recommendations.

"The tornado that struck Joplin offers important lessons about disaster preparedness," then-National Weather Service Director Jack Hayes said in 2011. The study found many did not take shelter because sometimes false alarms had been sounded over the years. The recommendations included an improved warning system that conveyed the urgent nature of an approaching tornado and the devastating impact it could have.

Increased use of social media, such as text messaging and smartphone apps, also was recommended, as was increased collaboration among government agencies.

'His life was worth something'

Daniel Fluharty was working at a Pizza Hut five years ago when the warnings sounded. "We went outside to look and it was so wide, it looked like a thunderstorm," he said Sunday. "There was no funnel. It wasn't even raining."

He credits co-worker Christopher Lucas with saving his life. Lucas ushered almost everyone at the restaurant into a walk-in freezer.

Lucas died in the storm.

"He saved my life, he saved a lot of lives," said Fluharty, 22. "He was a veteran, and I want his kids to know that his life was worth something."

Fluharty said one of the first things he saw after the tornado was an ambulance arriving from Springfield, Missouri. Fluharty said he was inspired by the selfless nature of the first responders and, in turn, has helped with disaster response after tornadoes in Moore, Oklahoma, and Branson and Baxter Springs, Missouri. "As soon as we could get there, we would help them with the cleanup, the hard work that no one wants to do," he said. "It's not glamorous. We know better than anyone else that there's nothing worse than picking up your life."

Survivors have tornado tattoos

Steven Weersing was 17 when he and his friends drove straight into the storm.

"It just happened in a second, all the windows blew out and a tree fell onto the windshield," he said. The twister picked up the car, and Weersing held his arm out the window trying to hold on to the vehicle's door so he wouldn't be sucked out.

"The car rolled over onto my arm and broke it," he said. "I was blown through the window. I was in and out of consciousness, and I woke up and my friends were carrying me and I saw my arm and I passed out." His friends put him into the first vehicle they saw -- a storm chaser's truck -- and he was taken to the hospital.

He credits the tornado with bringing him and his girlfriend, Tara Fleming, together. They are raising two daughters -- Briella, who turns 3 Monday, and Bailey who is almost 2. "Before we were just good friends," he said. After getting out of the hospital, he says, "Tara was definitely someone I could rely on and supported me. Anything I needed help with, she would help me."

Now they both have tattoos. His is a big black tornado. Hers says, "What doesn't kill me makes me stronger," with the word survivor and the date of the Joplin tornado.

Remembering the storm

Joplin is treating the tornado as a historic event. The city organized Joplin Proud, four days of activities "to remember what we lost, thank the volunteers who came to our aid, and be proud of the progress we have made as a community," the city government website said.

A Joplin Disaster Recovery Summit was held Thursday and Friday, with guest speakers discussing what the city learned from the storm. Over the weekend, a marathon was held, and citizens gathered in a city park to remember the victims and to thank the people and organizations that helped rebuild the town, such as AmeriCorps, The Joplin Globe reported.

More than 140,000 registered volunteers provided 877,301 hours of service, according to the city report. The Federal Emergency Management Agency gave $20 million in assistance for housing and transportation.
Old 05-23-16, 09:57 AM   #167
DVD Talk Legend

The National Weather Service has also noted the historic nature of the storm by creating a Remembering Joplin event page.

http://www.weather.gov/sgf/RememberingJoplin
Old 05-23-16, 10:00 AM   #168
DVD Talk Legend

Five years ago, the city of Joplin and the lives of those who called it their home (including me) forever changed. Today we remember those who lost so much, and today we look forward together to a better future.

The story is full of heartbreak but there have been enough tears shed already. Instead of dwelling on the pain, I'm share something uplifting. Because Joplin's story is ultimately about overcoming the darkest of days and moving forward toward a brighter tomorrow.

I can think of better things to put my hometown on the map
Than to have it blown clear off it Sunday night
But if I know folks like I know folks in my town
They're gonna be alright

Cause here in my hometown
It's just like your hometown
We've got fathers, we've got mothers,
Memories of one another we hold dear

Here in my hometown
The one like your hometown
Sure there might be a little less of it
We might have a bigger mess of it
But all we really need is all still here

Mother Nature ain't around to answer questions
But what she tore down, we're building right back up
When you've got everything to gain,
Well then what's a little rain
Gonna do to folks that don't know when to stop…

Here in my hometown

Last edited by kenbuzz; 05-23-16 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-18-17, 01:55 PM   #169
DVD Talk Legend

I am heading back to Joplin tomorrow to celebrate Memorial Weekend. The weekend kicks off tomorrow with the Walk Of Silence - an event that was first held last year during the 5th anniversary:

Linky: http://www.columbiamissourian.com/ne...381cbaa9c.html

Quote:
Memorial Walk of Silence pays tribute to 2011 Joplin tornado victims
Missourian.com - Allison Collins - May 20, 2016

JOPLIN — Hundreds of people walked in complete silence through downtown Joplin on Friday to commemorate the victims lost in the 2011 tornado that claimed 161 lives.

The annual Joplin Memorial Walk of Silence began at Eighth and Joplin Avenue by Memorial Hall and continued for 11 blocks, ending at Nineteenth Street. On both sides of the street, 161 banners with the names of each victim waved in the wind.

The tornado was the most catastrophic tornado in the U.S. since 1947. It was also the most costly tornado, costing $2 billion in damages, according to documents released by the City of Joplin. The National Weather Service classified the tornado as an EF5, with wind speeds reaching 200 miles per hour. It stretched nearly a mile wide as it tore through the city that Sunday evening.
I'll be walking it with my son, and my sister and her family.

And then Saturday, we celebrate with the (new) annual Joplin Memorial Marathon! There's also a half-marathon, a 10K, a 5K (that I'm doing), and a 1-mile kids fun run.

All of the runs lead us around Joplin, in and through the tornado path, and all of us finish along the same one-mile stretch along Joplin street with the 161 banners. It's sure to be a day of mixed emotions.

And when we finish.... lunch on me at Fred & Red's!