DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-29-11, 10:36 PM   #126
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Is There Any Place To Live Safe From Mother Nature's Wrath?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
God, that's crazy. I can't imagine how fast it must have been going to pierce concrete like that.
To quote a caption for this photo I saw the other day:

"Paper beats rock."
Old 06-01-11, 03:41 PM   #127
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
We went to Joplin today to help some people with clean-up. Drove down into the hardest hit area and it is just surreal. Total destruction for as far as you can see. Lots of volunteers out helping, though.
Thanks for lending a hand - I am certain it was appreciated!

Now that the search and rescue phase is pretty much done, the Missouri FEMA-equivalent agency has now opened up their call for volunteers for the recovery and rebuilding phase. They've accepted my offer to help with long term project planning, plus whatever other help they need. They have asked me to be on-site the week of June 13-17.

They have also asked me to be flexible, because even though they're accepting my 'professional' assistance, there's always a chance that they may not be ready for me (or need me in that capacity) when I'm there, so I should be prepared to be reassigned to more hands-on duties like debris removal, food distribution, and the like. They're recommending that I be current on my tetanus shots and have access to a hard hat, leather work gloves, and steel-toed shoes. Not a problem, I really hope that I can get down and dirty to help Joplin recover in any capacity I may.

Edited to add:

Last edited by kenbuzz; 06-01-11 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-01-11, 03:58 PM   #128
DVD Talk Legend

Gang, take a look at this....

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/26/136655...view-of-joplin

I'm not going to even to try to describe what I'm seeing - words fail me.
Old 06-01-11, 04:04 PM   #129
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wait until you see it in person. As shocking as the pictures are they just can't convey the vastness of the affected area when you are standing in the midst of it. Clean-up of debris will take a long while.
Old 06-02-11, 01:24 AM   #130
DVD Talk Special Edition

Imagine being stuck in rush hour traffic while a tornado passes right in front of you. This happened yesterday in Springfield, MA.

Old 06-02-11, 01:31 AM   #131
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
If anyone wants to see what my dad looks like, he's sitting directly behind the right shoulder of the person speaking at the podium for the live Joplin memorial currently airing on CNN.

My dad is over the speaker's right shoulder, live on CNN.  on Twitpic

I'm a creationist, I believe man created God. - Seen on a bumper sticker
Old 06-02-11, 01:37 AM   #132
DVD Talk Hero

I've never seen a tornado in real life. Ever since seeing Twister when I was young they've always been one of my biggest fears. But what's been happening lately, just unbelievable.
Old 06-08-11, 04:07 PM   #133
DVD Talk Legend

Just got a call from the State EMA bubbas. Apparently they get a crush of volunteers on Fri-Sat-Sun, so they're using Monday next week as a "recovery" day before diving back in to the strategic work on Tuesday. They've told me that they don't need me to report on site until then to lend my specific assistance, though I'm welcome to come Monday and show up at the Volunteer Reception Center (VRC) and have them put me to work.

My doc would probably prefer I take Monday as a slow drive day - I had knee surgery in January and was hospitalized thrice in February due to post-surgical complications related to a DVT in my left leg and a PE in my lungs. I'm probably going to be restricted from doing any significant debris removal when I see her Friday for my tetanus shot, but hopefully she'll at least let me do some hands-on work - even if only for a single 3-hour shift. I've got this need to get my hands get dirty and earn that Spaghetti Red.

Old 06-20-11, 09:20 PM   #134
DVD Talk Legend

I ended up taking Monday as a slow-drive day. Got to JoMo in the evening, and received an email telling me that the state EMA bubbas would not be ready for my help for a couple of weeks. So on Tuesday I strolled up to the VRC and asked them to put me to work. I asked for outside duty, since I knew I wouldn't be allowed to work consecutive outside days and wanted to go for a Tuesday-Thursday pairing.

AmeriCorps put me to work doing debris clean-up and removal. my squad of 20 was assigned a field near the corner of 20th and Duquesne roads, about 1/2 mile east of the Home Depot on Range Line that had been demolished. My cleanup site was where most of the Home Depot landed. Our task was to go through the huge crater of debris (it was 200-300 feet in diameter) to pull out metal, vegetative debris (trees), lumber, hazmat, personal belongings, etc., and to sort everything into smaller piles for subsequent removal. It was hard, hot work. The temperature was over 90 and there was no shade as all the homes and trees were down. With all of the protective gear I was wearing (hard hat, goggles, respirator, long sleeves, leather gloves, steel-toed shoes) I probably sweated out a couple of pounds.

While working it was easy to focus on the task at hand and forget why we were really there. That was, until I removed a piece of twisted sheet metal to find a small child's toy - a stuffed dog with a missing leg and with its stuffing coming out. My own kid has a lot of stuffed animals, and at the moment the job got a LOT harder.

I ended up in that field for a day and a half. I was assigned indoor computer data entry duties for the other half of my time there. During that indoor time I learned that over 150,000(!) hours of volunteer work had been logged in the three weeks following the storm. My logs showed volunteers from all parts of the country and from many foreign lands (including Canada, the UK, Italy and Australia). I have never been involved in anything like this before so don't know if that type of response is typical, but having spent so much of my childhood and all of my undergraduate days in Joplin I was humbled to see the spectrum of support my 2nd home was receiving.

During my evenings there I toured some of the more devastated parts of town and shot photos and videos. For those who were following my trip last week via Facebook none of this information is new. For everyone else, here are a few links:

PHOTOS
Everything is on Flickr, my Photostream is at http://www.flickr.com/photos/63881077@N07

The photos are arranged in reverse chronological order, with the snaps that I uploaded most recently displayed first. Those most recent uploads include paired "before and after" photos - as I found locations that had visible landmarks to aid me in determining from where the photo had been taken, I would take that information and find a "before" image of the same spot using Google Street View. Note that for every one of these photos, there are 4 or 5 more where my location could not be determined. Thus, these photos are of the LEAST damaged parts of my tour.

VIDEOS
Everything is on YouTube, my videos are at http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...amishbengalfan

On the day of my arrival (Monday) I was driven through town and I shot video using my iTouch. Alas, I was holding the device upright rather than horizontally, so all of the videos captured that day have their aspect ratios screwed up - they're all tall and narrow. The first 8 videos all suffer from this defect. The final two videos (#9 and #10) were shot on Thursday before I left town - I fixed the aspect ratio problem. Video #9 was shot from a single residential street corner (24th and Kentucky) and is a 360-degree panoramic view. Here it is:

If you pause the video at 0:23, I am shooting directly down Kentucky Avenue looking south. The entire left-hand side of the street used to be lined with 50+ year-old homes and old-growth trees. But now, everything's just gone. Here's an image of the same location before the storm:

Video #10 was a tour of the neighborhood surrounding 24th and Kentucky. Parts of that are difficult for me to watch even now:

I know we have all seen images of numerous natural and man-made disasters, and we have all likely become desensitized to scenes like these. But to be frank, seeing things first-hand is orders of magnitude more powerful than through the eyes of others. The links/images above do not even come close to conveying just how terrible things really are in parts of town, and one cannot fathom what the destruction really looks like without having your feet there on the ground. There were several occasions where I was so overwhelmed that I just wept.

If you have a moment to say a small prayer for the families who have lost absolutely everything, I am certain they wouldn't mind. There are thousands of volunteers and dozens of support agencies working very hard there right now to help get Joplin back on her feet. I was proud to be one of those. And while I am NOT soliciting for donations, if folks want to help I have a short list of agencies who have pledged to pass 100% of their donations directly to support Joplin's families without any overhead.

I will close with a link to a music video. This is "Where Would You Go (If You Couldn't Go Home)?" by the Mark Chapman Band. It is a tribute to those in the South who have suffered the ravages of Nature this Spring - all proceeds from the sale of this song via iTunes will be donated to agencies who are continuing the work to rebuild Joplin. Every one of the images in the video are from Joplin.

Lyrics:
Quote:
Hope used to live right down the street
Her kids two and four played in the yard in their bare feet
Sunday nights they watched the sun go down
from their back porch somewhere in the South

Charlie had a good job at the mill
Little house on the edge of town, A dog, a car, a mortgage bill
Overnight they're homeless refugees
They're Americans just like you and me

CHORUS

Where would you go if you couldn't go home
What would you do if everything you ever knew was gone
I can't imagine what that's like
I pray I'll never have to know

VERSE 2

If you had to put your whole life in two hands
and carry it away like some gypsy in a caravan
What would you take, what would you leave
When your home is turned to rubble and debris

Friends in Alabama, Dixieland delight
Georgia, Louisiana, you're in our prayers tonight
To those Joplin Missouri born and raised
Pickin up the pieces blown away
Our hearts are with you

CHORUS

What would you do if everything you ever knew was gone
I can't imagine what that's like
I pray I'll never have to know

BRIDGE

Last edited by kenbuzz; 06-20-11 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-20-11, 09:42 PM   #135
DVD Talk Legend

Well Oregon is pretty safe...other than the pesky volcanos
Old 07-11-11, 07:55 PM   #136

Old 07-12-11, 01:38 PM   #137
DVD Talk Legend

My grandmother was in the hospital in Joplin that was unaffected by the storm. Unfortunately, she passed away right before the 4th of July, so we made an unexpected trip down there.

That video above is a great way to see how bad it really is. I've visited Joplin at least once or twice a year for my entire life. It's truly unbelievable, even a month later, how devastated the area actually is. I've heard things like "1/3 of the town is gone". Joplin isn't huge, but removing 1/3 of the town from the map is massive any way you cut it.

Truly sobering. Especially driving by the high school and seeing my mom's room open to the weather. And thinking how much worse it would have been if the high school graduation had been at the actual high school rather than the college.
Old 07-12-11, 02:41 PM   #138
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
Simply amazing stuff.

I am returning to Joplin again next week. My son and I had planned to visit famliy there this coming week all along. I will probably try to sneak in a day or two of volunteer work while I'm there, but with the town as damaged as it is now my primary objective is to give him a chance to build a few memories.

He will be a regular visitor to Joplin in upcoming years, and he deserves a chance to see what it looks like right now before ths coming rebuilding. Years from now when the town has fully-recovered, in whatever form that may take, he will be able to look back to Summer 2011 and know what it looked like before - and gain an appreciation of the work that went into it.

I am expecting that most of the "half houses" will have been cleared out by the time we arrive. While I want him to see how Joplin looks now, I don't know how much I want to traumatize him by showing him places where people lived (and died) when the F5 blew through back in May. He's only 10, there is no need to put the Fear Of God into him and give him cause to doubt his own safety in the future should our own tornado sirens go off. Empty lots where houses once stood should be plenty powerful imagery, IMO.
Old 07-20-11, 08:29 AM   #139
DVD Talk Legend

Back in Joplin this week. When I checked in at the VRC they begged me to help in the Call Center logging volunteer data. Apparenty there's a looming deadline and if the paperwork isn't squared away the FEMA dollars get reduced from 90% of the covered costs to 75%. That 15% equals millions of dollars. So I got to choose between sitting in A/C all day while filling in spreadsheet values or digging around doing outdoor debris removal.

Tough choice.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 07-20-11 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-20-11, 09:20 AM   #140

You chose.....wisely.
Old 07-20-11, 10:25 AM   #141
DVD Talk Legend

I know some of you deal with heat like this a lot, but it has been crazy up here the past few days:

Quote:
88 degree dew point at Moorhead last night between 6pm and 8pm sets new all time record highest dew point reading in Minnesota! (Previous record was 86 degrees)

You can believe that many weather experts in Minnesota would have never imagined we'd smash heat and humidity records by such magnitude. The new (still unofficial) heat index record of 134 degrees at Moorhead Tuesday blew the previous record out of the water by a full 10 degrees!

With a heat index of 134 degrees, Moorhead was literally the hottest place on the planet Tuesday!
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/col...lumns/updraft/
Old 07-20-11, 10:55 AM   #142
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, this shit has been real tropical lately. Not at all jealous of that record though!

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the darkness at Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die." - Roy Batty
Old 07-21-11, 10:11 AM   #143
DVD Talk Legend

Update: On Tuesday, I wisely took the inside job assignment and spent the day at the Americorps Call Center, where me and about 20 other folks were working. I was logging all of the volunteer hour sign-in/sign-out data while most of the folks around me were manning the phone banks answering calls from folks who neded help or who had stuff or manpower to donate. I must've been "D-Day", since I overheard a lot of calls from folks needing dog food, detergent, diapers and dinnerware. If today's needs run along the lines of fajitas and furniture then I'll know there's' a trend.

While at the call center, I learned that since my first trip here in June they had opened up several volunteer opportunities for kids under 16 years of age. So armed with that info, I brought my son (10) with me to the VRC yesterday morning and he got to go through the entire process. We ended up being sent to the Joplin Family Worship Center (JFWC) out on east 7th street. This is a HUGE church that has been converted into a clearing house for donated items. There were 2-3 enormous circus tents set up outside just for all of the donated clothing. Another tent with furniture. A double gymnasium inside had been converted into a store filled with non-perishable food, hygiene and cleaning supplies, flashlights and battery-powered radios, shoes, hats, small appliances, etc. There was also a cafe and a dining hall set up to prepare hundreds of meals.

We started out at 9am in the cloting tents,trying to sort through a huge pile of baby clothes. It got really hot, really fast, and after nearly an hour he started shutting down. So I took him inside, got him a cold water, and got us reassigned to other duties. We ended up in the kitchen, where we served up and boxed all of the Meals on Wheels lunches, then helped serve the 60-70 lunches to the kids in the daycare center. After that, it was time to get lunch to the hundred or so outdoor workers who had checked in to get fed.

They kept us hopping, but my kid had a great attitude and had a smile for everyone throughout. He really enjoyed himself. I think it really sank in for him when families with kids his age would come in foe help. I had driven him around some of the more devastated areas (they're not at all hard to find) and he began to apprecite just how many famlies had literally lost everything. It gave him a perspective that helped a lot when he actually got to meet some of the affected, and they way he carried himself and tried to buoy the spirits of everyone around him - be they families in need or volunteers working hard to help - it made me really proud to be this kid's dad.

Today (Thursday) we have no volunteer plans. We are going to visit with family. Not sure about Friday yet. Al I know is that on Saturday (assuming I-44 isn't buckled from the heat)I am planning ti surprise him by stopping at Merimac Caverns. Sure, it will probably be a kitchy rip-off, but I still think we'll have fun.
Old 07-21-11, 01:20 PM   #144
DVD Talk Legend

I think the middle/south of the country has been screwed this year in terms of weather.

While up in Seattle we have had 78 minutes of temps at 80 degrees or greater since summer started.
Old 07-22-11, 12:52 AM   #145
DVD Talk Hero

It was 110 in Minnesota the other day! It's hot as fuck on the east coast and parts of the Midwest.
Old 08-17-11, 01:44 PM   #146
DVD Talk Legend

Three months ago this week, the city of Joplin endured unbelievable destruction as the deadliest tornado in recorded history wiped-out 1/3 of the city. Today Joplin's children went back to school - right on schedule. ABC's Good Morning America reports...

Back to School in Joplin, Missouri: Recovery After Devastating Tornado
Old 08-17-11, 03:35 PM   #147
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Not Siberia.
Old 05-22-12, 07:23 AM   #148
DVD Talk Legend

^bump

The Joplin tornado was one year ago today.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/j...rnado-16401546

Quote:
A day of solemn remembrances and forward-looking celebrations is planned Tuesday as Joplin commemorates the anniversary of a tornado that ripped the city in half. The May 22, 2011, twister was the nation's deadliest in six decades, killing 161 people, injuring hundreds more and destroying thousands of buildings, including the city's only public high school. Groundbreaking ceremonies are scheduled at three sites for replacement buildings, including Joplin High School's future home.

Gov. Jay Nixon, who joined President Barack Obama on Monday night as a Joplin High School graduation speaker, plans to attend a sunrise service and "journey of healing" at Freeman Hospital honoring the city's medical workers and volunteers who have aided the recovery. The hospital has seen a surge in use after the tornado destroyed St. John's Regional Medical Center, which has since occupied a succession of temporary facilities but is being rebuilt at a new location — and renamed as Mercy Hospital Joplin.

A 4-mile unity walk through some of the city's hardest hit neighborhoods begins at 2 p.m. in neighboring Duquesne, where more than one-fourth of the community's 750 homes were destroyed and nine people died. The Joplin portion of the walk begins past a Wal-Mart where 200 people survived the storm by huddling together in employee break rooms, bathrooms and other designated safe zones. Three people, though, were killed inside that store.

The walk will conclude with a moment of silence at Cunningham Park at 5:41 p.m., the precise time when the EF-5 tornado packing 200 mph winds hit Joplin. The city park, which is across the street from the hulking remains of the St. John's hospital, has since been rebuilt.

While many of Tuesday's events will reflect upon the past year, community leaders are also looking ahead toward what is bound to be a long recovery effort.

In January, elected officials and other members of a 45-person recovery committee endorsed a long-term recovery plan that calls for the creation of four new business districts that would allow residents to live and shop nearby and a unified approach to rebuilding that ensures new construction meets certain design standards.

In March, the city hired Wallace Bajjali Development Partners, of Sugar Land, Texas, as its "master developer" to oversee the rebuilding plan.

The day's events are also expected to attract some of the more than 130,000 volunteers who descended on southwest Missouri from across the country to help out. That group includes a contingent of bicyclists who left New York City's Central Park nearly three weeks ago on a Cycle for Joplin fundraising ride organized by a group of former Joplin residents known as the Joplin Expats.
Duquesne was where I was assigned during my first visit to help the Joplin recovery back in early June 2011. My team was on the SE corner of 20th Street & Duquesne Road, where the Home Depot "landed". I can still remember what that field felt and smelled like today, and the memories of the personal effects I found in the rubble and debris still haunt me.

If you have the opportunity and the inclination, please join me at 6:41pm ET this evening in a moment of silence to remember those we lost in last year's tornadoes in Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, and of course Joplin.
Old 05-22-12, 07:24 AM   #149
DVD Talk Legend

POTUS was in Joplin yesterday to deliver the commencement address to the Joplin High School graduating class of 2012. I was surprised, he kept the politicking to a minimum and actually focused mainly on Joplin and the graduates.

Read the full transcript here
Old 05-22-12, 10:39 AM   #150
DVD Talk Legend

My mother is a teacher at Joplin High School and was just getting ready to head out for commencement when I talked to her yesterday. She was planning on doing the walk today too.

She just said it's been a hard year but they've made the best of it, the kids are excited and the town is coming back, slowly but surely.