DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-26-11, 03:23 PM   #26
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Is There Any Place To Live Safe From Mother Nature's Wrath?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Interior BC would be my safe zone. Fairly nice climate, no earthquakes, no tornadoes or other extreme weather.
But it's Canada, so you lose points for that
Old 04-26-11, 03:33 PM   #27
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Hawaii has no blizzards or tornadoes. The volcanoes don't explode, but just drool lava. The last big earthquake was over 150 years ago. There are almost no hurricanes. The recent tsunami was a 7 foot wave, which is just an ordinary winter storm back east. The average temperatures range from 76 degrees in January to 81 degrees in July. The biggest worry of the last century was Japanese aircraft.
If you can afford the high cost of living there it's really the place to be.

-edit, I did see a Geology show on tsunamis where they said if the western flank of the Big Island collapsed, Honolulu would be toast. Here, I found the clip:

Stay away from Hawaii too.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US

Last edited by VinVega; 04-26-11 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-26-11, 03:34 PM   #28
DVD Talk Hero

Florida -- child rapists, hurricanes, murderers and occasional flooding.
Old 04-26-11, 03:46 PM   #29
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
Florida -- child rapists, hurricanes, murderers and occasional flooding.
I like where I live in FL because it would take an unnatural turn of a Hurricane to give Tampa a direct hit. The general path of hurricanes take them out into the Gulf of Mexico to hit the panhandle, Alabama and points west. We've lost power from the hurricanes in 2004, but no real damage was done to my area even with 4 of them hitting the state.

Gerrymandering in the US
Old 04-26-11, 03:57 PM   #30
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I like where I live in FL because it would take an unnatural turn of a Hurricane to give Tampa a direct hit. The general path of hurricanes take them out into the Gulf of Mexico to hit the panhandle, Alabama and points west. We've lost power from the hurricanes in 2004, but no real damage was done to my area even with 4 of them hitting the state.
Yeah but Tampa gets nasty lightning storms. Not a major disaster per se but still annoying. Orlando doesn't get the same kind of storms and we usually avoid the hurricanes.
Old 04-26-11, 04:14 PM   #31
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Course they also say if that Yelllowstone volcano erupts, it will obliterate 2/3 of the US. Lovely thought.
Old 04-26-11, 05:07 PM   #32
DVD Talk Limited Edition

slate.com did an article a few years back and Storrs, CT was their place to go. Having gone to college there, I can agree with the findings.

http://www.slate.com/id/2126321/

Here in New England the worst severe weather we get is usually winter storms which while severe, usually don't cause any immediate damage to life and property as long as you're not driving. Sure this winter was worse(some building collapses and ice dam related water damage) but it was the worst winter in about 30 years. We get the random occasional tornado in parts or threat of one but usually just some severe thunderstorms that blow by pretty quickly in the summer. Flooding can occur but if you live away from a river it's really not a big deal even if you have a basement as long as you have proper waterproofing and or a sump pump.
Old 04-26-11, 05:13 PM   #33
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
Seriously, i am ready to get the heck out of Arkansas. I've been through a lot of tornado watches in Texas, but never experienced so many close calls as I have this month.

Last week, tornado sirens went off 5 times. Last night I had one foot in the bathroom while the other part was still watching the tv tracking a funnel cloud literally two miles from my place. Then I find out these same storms wiped out Vilonia and 50 ppl are missing. That is so bad that unless you have a storm shelter, you probably won't survive.

And if that wasn't enough fun, round two tonite. NOAA upgraded my area for high risk for deadly violent tornados. It was only moderate risk yesterday.

So is there truly a part of the US that has nice weather and no weather worries? Forget the coast. I don't want earthquakes and hurricanes. CA has wildfires and mudslides as well and the northern states deal with winter weather nightmares.

Eastern Oregon/Eastern Washington.

No real threat of earthquake/hurricanes/big weather systems, occasionaly you will get a blizzard..but those are not usually that bad either.
Old 04-26-11, 05:14 PM   #34
DVD Talk Legend

No.

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 04-26-11, 05:15 PM   #35
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I've actually been looking at Washington State. The weather temps sound wonderful. No brutal winters, and 70s in the summer. By contrast, Arkansas is just about unbearable. Spring and fall temperatures only seem to last a few weeks and we get like 8 months of brutal hot sticky weather.
In terms of weather it is not so bad here..but you do have the threat of a mountain blowing up.

Also in western washington..you don't really have four seasons..mostly 9 months of gray, with about 2 months of good quality weather.
Old 04-26-11, 05:19 PM   #36
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Course they also say if that Yelllowstone volcano erupts, it will obliterate 2/3 of the US. Lovely thought.
Except for the west coast
Old 04-26-11, 05:29 PM   #37
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
If you can afford the high cost of living there it's really the place to be.

-edit, I did see a Geology show on tsunamis where they said if the western flank of the Big Island collapsed, Honolulu would be toast. Here, I found the clip:

Stay away from Hawaii too.
Son of a bitch! I'm moving there in the fall.

I guess my point of view is that you can't live your life in fear. Something terrible can happen to you anywhere and we all have to die sometime. Live where you want to to live and do the things you enjoy doing while you can. There are so many more important factors in deciding where to live.
Old 04-26-11, 06:08 PM   #38
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
Looks like Mesa, AZ will be your new home.

http://www.sustainlane.com/us-city-r...-disaster-risk
yeah, that was the thing i was referencing in my earlier post.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 04-26-11, 06:12 PM   #39
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Hawaii has no blizzards or tornadoes. The volcanoes don't explode, but just drool lava. The last big earthquake was over 150 years ago. There are almost no hurricanes. The recent tsunami was a 7 foot wave, which is just an ordinary winter storm back east. The average temperatures range from 76 degrees in January to 81 degrees in July. The biggest worry of the last century was Japanese aircraft.
Yeah, but it's full of smelly Hawaiians

I'm a creationist, I believe man created God. - Seen on a bumper sticker
Old 04-26-11, 07:43 PM   #40
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan30oly View Post
Pacific Northwest - The worst we have here is rainy weather with the occasional earthquake (we are due for a very large one though)
Tsunamis, forest fires, stinky hippies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger
The last big earthquake was over 150 years ago.
Which means you're just building up for another big one
Old 04-26-11, 08:06 PM   #41
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
Son of a bitch! I'm moving there in the fall.

I guess my point of view is that you can't live your life in fear. Something terrible can happen to you anywhere and we all have to die sometime. Live where you want to to live and do the things you enjoy doing while you can. There are so many more important factors in deciding where to live.
Hawaii is one of the places I'm tempted to live. Good luck and I hope you enjoy yourself there. I wouldn't worry about The Big Island collapsing. Shit, Las Palmas could collapse and flood the entire east coast of the US. It's all relative. Like you said, enjoy life, don't live it in fear. We all have to go sometime.

Gerrymandering in the US
Old 04-26-11, 08:40 PM   #42
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow I hope dvdjunkie32 is ok, looking at the radar map and it looks like Arkansas is being destroyed.
Old 04-26-11, 08:43 PM   #43
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dork View Post
Mid-Atlantic: Bandoman
I live bear Bandoman??? Fuck.

For Bandoman, I suggest this:

Old 04-26-11, 10:44 PM   #44
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've lived in Florida my whole life and hurricanes are just sort of things you learn to adapt to. They definitely suck when you get hit, but for the most part you'll have enough warning to either prepare or get out of the area. I've been through 'em before, and while it's no picnic, it's not the worst of the natural disasters if it's below a Category 5; especially if you aren't directly hit by the storm and have time to board up your house.

I can't imagine living with tornadoes though, where they just sort of pop up without any real warning.

Quote:
You're from Tampa? Funny you mention 2004 because I was in high school when Hurricane Charley hit Florida. My friends and I were in a chatroom online talking about how Charley was projected to hit Tampa as a Category 2, and then within an hour it was a Category 4 and had changed course and was coming straight for our town. We were all fighting to be the last person in the chatroom before the power went out

That was a pretty bad storm, although it was nothing compared to something like Andrew. Still, we had no power or water for about two weeks; we had a well, but the pump was damaged during the storm. The worst part of it was just not being prepared, in general, because we thought it was going to hit you guys in Tampa. I remember having to hold two French doors together with rope because the porch had been ripped off and the doors were buckling due to the winds. We had a bunch of 50+ foot tall trees around our house; they snapped in half like twigs, but fell away from the house, so we lucked out.
Old 04-26-11, 11:34 PM   #45
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Wow, I live in the one little corner of Tennessee that isn't covered by any color on that map.
Old 04-27-11, 05:01 AM   #46
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePage View Post
Wow, I live in the one little corner of Tennessee that isn't covered by any color on that map.
Yeah, but you are red today!

Old 04-27-11, 05:47 AM   #47
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nothing beats wake up alarm by tornado. I just enjoyed that thirty minutes ago. Whee.
Old 04-27-11, 07:49 AM   #48
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
You're from Tampa?
Well I live in Tampa, I'm from NYC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Yeah but Tampa gets nasty lightning storms. Not a major disaster per se but still annoying. Orlando doesn't get the same kind of storms and we usually avoid the hurricanes.
I drive all over the state of FL for my job. I've been to Gainesville, Ocala, Orlando, Daytona, Coco Beach, Ft Myers, Ft Lauderdale, Pensacola, and Miami. The whole state gets the same kinds of popcorn T-Storms all summer. I can't say Tampa is any more or less severe when it comes to lightning than any other city or town in the state of FL.

It does seem like the Panhandle gets stronger rain/wind in the fronts during front season (Oct-May) before they tend to peeter out as they sink south, but that's just from watching radar and seeing the fronts organized in the Panhandle and then weakening as they get south of say Ocala.

As far as Orlando hurricanes, I remember everyone in Tampa tearing out of town in 2004 when Charlie was bearing down. A bunch of people went to Orlando. When the storm changed course and hit Punta Gorda it continued north and then hit Orlando. The poor folks who left town got hit by the hurricane anyway. But I agree with you, Orlando does not have as much to worry about from hurricanes since they are inland a bit.

Gerrymandering in the US

Last edited by VinVega; 04-27-11 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-27-11, 08:01 AM   #49
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Wow I hope dvdjunkie32 is ok, looking at the radar map and it looks like Arkansas is being destroyed.
Thanks man, last night was a bit rough, but not nearly as bad as Monday. Some funnel clouds were spotted, but no major damage!
Old 04-27-11, 08:17 AM   #50
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My wife & I live in NE Ohio, the most that happens here is the occasional strong storm, every once in awhile a tree gets blown over, but we don't get tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes (maybe a tremor once in awhile). Snow in the winter can be a pain but being an Ohioan I expect that (my wife is from Texas, she hates winters here, but the alternative is high heat, drought, hurricanes, death, so I'll take Ohio thankyouverymuch). -kd5-

My DVD/BD Collection