Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-26-11, 10:21 AM   #1
Sean O'Hara
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sheriff's Deputy Has Sex with 14 Year Old Girl

I'm sure she was resisting arrest.

Quote:
A deputy with the Frederick County Sheriff's Office was arrested Wednesday and charged with having sexual contact with a 14-year-old girl who attends the school where he worked as a resource officer.

Sam Allen Bowman, 46, of New Market, was assigned to Walkersville High School. According to charging documents filed in Frederick County District Court, Bowman engaged in an inappropriate relationship with a ninth-grade student, which included having sexual contact with her in his patrol car and in the girl's home.

The two also had frequent contact during the school day, including eating lunch together, the documents stated. Bowman also drove the girl home on three separate occasions, including on March 9, when the sexual contact allegedly took place. According to the documents, school officials approached the girl on March 15 with concerns about her relationship with Bowman, and told her she could no longer eat lunch with him or accept rides from him. Officials also confronted Bowman, but he never reported the conversation to his superiors, the documents state.

Detectives from the Frederick County Bureau of Investigation were contacted Monday by Child Protective Services and asked to assist with an investigation of possible child sex abuse involving a sheriff's deputy.

A CPS agent had interviewed the student earlier that day and concluded that she was not being honest about her relationship with Bowman. The girl acknowledged having frequent contact with Bowman but denied anything sexual occurred. She also acknowledged that rumors had been going around the school that the two were having sex. During a second interview with the CPS agent and an FCBI investigator on Wednesday, the girl said she engaged in sexual activity with Bowman on March 9 that began in his cruiser and moved to her bedroom, the documents stated.

According to the documents, the girl also told investigators that her mother had given her permission to have Bowman in the house to play a video game with her the day after the alleged sexual contact.

She said the two planned on having sex after he drove her home on March 14, but they didn't because her sister was home when they got there, the documents state.

Bowman was brought in for questioning Wednesday and, according to the documents, acknowledged to investigators that he had regular contact with the girl, including having lunch with her and driving her home. But he denied any sexual contact, and told investigators that he had gone into the girl's bedroom because he suspected she was inhaling paint fumes and wanted to check the room for evidence.

Logs taken from the on-board computer in Bowman's cruiser confirmed the dates and times Bowman was at the girl's house, the documents stated.

Sheriff Chuck Jenkins said he was shocked by the allegations and subsequent charges against Bowman. He said an internal investigation is being conducted concurrent with the criminal investigation.

"The shocking part is that this is a person who was hired as a law enforcement officer, and in this case someone who was trusted to protect students in the school system," Jenkins said.

Jenkins said a thorough background check of Bowman was conducted before he was hired by the sheriff's office in August 2010, despite his years of service with the Frederick Police Department, where he retired as a corporal.

"He went through the same background process as all our applicants and candidates," he said.

Bowman, who was released from the Frederick County Adult Detention Center after posting $75,000 bail, has been suspended without pay. Jenkins said the charges alone could result in Bowman being terminated, but it was too early to speculate about what might happen.

"There is a process, and we're going to uphold the process," Jenkins said.
Between this and the story about the "school resource officer" who had the girl suspended because he thought she was on drugs, I have to wonder if this is the sort of job they give really shitty cops.

And what's wrong with the parents? "Oh, a middle-aged man wants to play video games with our adolescent daughter after giving her a ride home. I don't see anything wrong with that."
Old 03-26-11, 10:47 AM   #2
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Sheriff's Deputy Has Sex with 14 Year Old Girl

I'm sure her parents felt intimidated by the the Deputy. Maybe they felt they would get into trouble if they threw him out.
Old 03-26-11, 11:22 AM   #3
JasonF
DVD Talk Hero

Here is a picture of the girl:
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 03-26-11, 12:04 PM   #4
JumpCutz
DVD Talk Legend

Well at least it wasn't her...

Old 03-26-11, 12:10 PM   #5
Solid Snake
DVD Talk Hero

damn...what's with all this shit happening this month? Spring Break or what?
Old 03-26-11, 12:33 PM   #6
DeputyDave
DVD Talk Legend

Oops.
Old 03-26-11, 02:33 PM   #7
NORML54601
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Between this and the story about the "school resource officer" who had the girl suspended because he thought she was on drugs, I have to wonder if this is the sort of job they give really shitty cops.
All the liaison officers in my schools seemed to be below average.

The surprising part of story to me is that they actually suspended him without pay.
Old 03-26-11, 03:09 PM   #8
PopcornTreeCt
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
Oops.
Old 03-26-11, 03:11 PM   #9
Giantrobo
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
Oops.

Old 03-26-11, 03:47 PM   #10
TimeandTide
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
the girl also told investigators that her mother had given her permission to have bowman in the house to play a video game with her...
wtf?
Old 03-26-11, 03:56 PM   #11
Goat3001
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
And what's wrong with the parents? "Oh, a middle-aged man wants to play video games with our adolescent daughter after giving her a ride home. I don't see anything wrong with that."
On the surface it sounds stupid but there might be more to that then the article states. Maybe the parents had become close to the deputy themselves and trusted him more than the article made it seem. Maybe because he was a police officer they thought he wouldn't do anything bad. Maybe they thought the deputy was keeping their daughter out of trouble so the idea of him being home with her while they were at work was comforting to them.
Old 03-29-11, 10:14 AM   #12
creekdipper
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ahh, the old "paint fume" defense....

My friend Vinnie to the rescue.
Old 03-29-11, 11:29 AM   #13
FlickMan
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
On the surface it sounds stupid but there might be more to that then the article states. Maybe the parents had become close to the deputy themselves and trusted him more than the article made it seem. Maybe because he was a police officer they thought he wouldn't do anything bad. Maybe they thought the deputy was keeping their daughter out of trouble so the idea of him being home with her while they were at work was comforting to them.
Crazy crap like that only happens when a father fails to see his teen daughter as fuckable..
Old 03-29-11, 11:36 AM   #14
Meglos
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Where were deputies like this when I was in high school?!

Future Dwight

"Why don't you give me Ape Tit for two hundred." - Turd Ferguson
Old 03-29-11, 11:37 AM   #15
DeputyDave
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meglos View Post
Old 03-29-11, 03:56 PM   #16
superdeluxe
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Right or Wrong, many hold police officers in the highest regard, and don't think they would try and pork their 14 yo daughter.
Old 03-29-11, 04:00 PM   #17
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meglos View Post

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 03-29-11, 04:00 PM   #18
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickMan View Post
Crazy crap like that only happens when a father fails to see his teen daughter as fuckable..
A problem I would never have.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 03-29-11, 04:24 PM   #19
SuperJim88
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
A problem I would never have. I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.
Old 03-29-11, 05:10 PM   #20
PrincessT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
A problem I would never have.
Ummm cause you have boys?

Wii Code: 3634 4474 0968 4351
Old 03-30-11, 09:08 AM   #21
smg669

We're going to have to see a picture of this deputy before we can decide whether or not he's guilty...
Old 03-30-11, 09:11 AM   #22
smg669

Oh yeah.... he's totally hot. So not guilty.
Old 03-30-11, 09:22 AM   #23
majorjoe23
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessT View Post
Ummm cause you have boys?
No, it's because he's been fixed.
Old 03-30-11, 09:30 AM   #24
Superman07
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:

Reminds me of what happened while I was in HS with our school resource officer!

Quote:
When Fairfax County police arrested Jeffrey R. Hand last week, they were making history - but not the kind they want remembered in the record books. Officer Hand, a 23-year veteran officer who could have retired three years ago, was accused of walking into a Burke bank on May 22 with a mask and a shotgun and demanding money. His arrest made him the first officer in recent memory to be charged with a violent crime.

But he is not the only county officer to find himself on the wrong side of the law lately. Just five weeks before Officer Hand's arrest, Detective Michael D. Kerns was convicted of malfeasance after investigators found property recovered in commercial robbery investigations - computer games, a radio, a tool kit and other items - in his home and office.The cases have left county police and their supporters scratching their heads."There are 1,100 uniformed police officers," said David G. Smith, principal of West Springfield High School where Officer Hand has been a school resource officer since 1995. "An allegation against one is not an indictment of them all. . . . I hope people will remember that."Lt. Col. David R. Franklin, who announced the arrest Thursday of Officer Hand, said it is "just an anomaly.""The bigger you get, something is going to happen," said Col. Franklin. "We have almost 1,500 officers and civilian employees."At the West Springfield District Station where Officer Hand worked - and from which officers responded to the bank robbery for which he now stands charged - the reaction was one of "utter disbelief.""The whole station is saddened and shocked," said Capt. P.D. O'Keefe, commander of the West Springfield station.Officer Hand, 43, is currently being held without bond for the robbery of the Central Fidelity Bank at 5815 Burke Centre Parkway, a robbery that netted the thief $71,782.He is also a suspect in at least three other area bank robberies, according to court documents, including one that FBI officials have described as "particularly violent."He has been relieved of his duties and put on leave, with pay, while his case is pending.Detective Kerns, 36, is waiting to learn if he will keep his job after his misdemeanor conviction.Last fall, he told investigators he was guilty only of "an oversight" after they found he had six pairs of expensive sunglasses, a 21-piece Precision tool kit, three sets of nickel-plated steel handcuffs, knickknacks from the Franklin Mint and assorted computer equipment that were supposed to be in the police property room.Prosecutors accused him of stealing the property and sought a felony embezzlement charge against Detective Kerns, a 16-year veteran of the force. But he was convicted April 29 of the misdemeanor malfeasance charge instead and fined $500 in Fairfax County Circuit Court.Col. Franklin said the arrest of Officer Hand and the conviction of Detective Kerns should not shake public confidence in the police."It's disappointing, but it's unusual," he said. "It's very unusual to have somebody with so much time on to be involved in something like this."Capt. O'Keefe had other concerns. "I certainly hope the community will continue to support us," he said.
Old 03-30-11, 09:54 AM   #25
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

what would you rather do as a cop, catch murderers and other real criminals or play truant officer?
Sponsored Links