Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

View Poll Results: does changing your profile pic help fight child abuse?
yes 4 6.90%
no 50 86.21%
i changed my profile pic to twikoff 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-10, 09:34 AM   #1
mhg83
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

New facebook trend: changing profile pic to cartoon character= fight child abuse???

I noticed a few of my friends on fb changed their profile pic to cartoon characters. Did a little research to find out it's another pointless facebook trend. Seriously how does a cartoon character help fight child abuse?! A better thing would be to post a link to a fund for some charity for children. None of this fb crap is helping anyone. What do you guys think? Did you cahnge your profile pic? I don't have the balls to change my pic to Pedobear like some 4 chan users have
Old 12-04-10, 09:37 AM   #2
DonnachaOne
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: A place where they know how to pronounce "Donnacha" correctly
Re: New facebook trend: changing profile pic to cartoon character= fight child abuse?

It's ridiculous. Same thing as the breast cancer awareness nonsense (posting the color of your bra, "I like it on the___"), leading people into some false sense of philanthropy even if their (lack of) effort accomplishes nothing.

That said, I'll take any excuse to change my profile pic to something silly and fun. Mine is currently Matt Trakker! Spectrum's got such super vision...
Old 12-04-10, 09:39 AM   #3
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

Re: New facebook trend: changing profile pic to cartoon character= fight child abuse?

At the very least they could use images that made sense in context of the alleged cause.

Old 12-04-10, 09:39 AM   #4
Michael T Hudson
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-04-10, 09:44 AM   #5
Cardsfan111
DVD Talk Legend

Sure it's a little silly, but at least their status states the cause they support unlike the bra color/purse placement status changes before. I do enjoy the many retro cartoon character pics from friends.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 12-04-10, 09:45 AM   #6
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-04-10, 09:53 AM   #7
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

I changed mine, but didn't attach it to any cause.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 12-04-10, 09:55 AM   #8
Groucho

It's called "Slacktivism". You can pretend you're doing something for a cause, but do it with the least amount of effort possible (and with no actual aid to the cause).

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 12-04-10, 10:07 AM   #9
Gilgamesh1082

My facebook pic:
Old 12-04-10, 10:17 AM   #10
kstublen
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh1082 View Post
My facebook pic:
I'm gonna have to steal that.
Old 12-04-10, 10:40 AM   #11
cdollaz
DVD Talk Legend

I think I'm gonna try to start my own trendy thing of FB. "If you are against hunger, change your profile pic to a picture of your favorite food. Pass it on."
Old 12-04-10, 10:46 AM   #12
calhoun07
DVD Talk Legend

Pick from one of the following cartoon characters to show your support!
Old 12-04-10, 10:53 AM   #13
glassdragon
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

People post that and I just think to myself "What sheep"

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Psn - glsdragon
Old 12-04-10, 11:29 AM   #14
TomOpus
DVD Talk Hero

I changed mine just cuz it seemed like fun to change it for a few days. Will it fight child abuse? No. Will it bring some awareness? Possibly to some...they might take the time to look locally to help.

It's just facebook. It's not that big of a deal. It's just a status that you will or won't change. Some people seem to get concerned over the smallest things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
A better thing would be to post a link to a fund for some charity for children.
I take it this is what you did with your facebook status.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 12-04-10, 11:34 AM   #15
kstublen
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It would actually be cool if Facebook or some other organization committed to donating money to a Charity for every picture changed. Or if there was some way people could donate through Facebook, since people are lazy and probably won't take the extra step to find some place on their own.
Old 12-04-10, 11:39 AM   #16
glassdragon
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One of my friends posted this

Quote:
To my friends: If you can, please donate to this. It's a lot more effective than just changing your picture. I know I can't, as money is tight, but even if you can't, then just click "Share" and spread the word.
Prevent Child Abuse America
www.preventchildabuse.org
Prevent Child Abuse America was established in 1972 to build a nationwide commitment to preventing all forms of child abuse.

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Psn - glsdragon
Old 12-04-10, 11:56 AM   #17
Thunderball
DVD Talk Legend

I like it. My profile pic is now the Thundercats logo.
Old 12-04-10, 11:58 AM   #18
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm going to beat my kid because of this.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 12-04-10, 12:00 PM   #19
RoyalTea
DVD Talk Legend

I'd like to meet the guy who's about to beat the shit out of his kids, but thinks twice because one of his friends posted a picture of Scooby-Doo online.
Old 12-04-10, 01:18 PM   #20
Groucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Will it bring some awareness? Possibly to some...
On the very small chance that there's somebody out there who has never heard of child abuse (!), the fact that they have friends on Facebook with temporary cartoon avatars isn't going to change that.
Old 12-04-10, 02:41 PM   #21
Boba Fett
DVD Talk Reviewer

I changed mine to Ken from Fist of the North Star because it essentially craps on the whole trend.
Old 12-04-10, 02:52 PM   #22
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A couple weeks ago bunch of friends had "change to a cartoon character because it would be cool if everybody had cartoon pictures during December"

Apparently that wasn't good enough reason, so they switched to child abuse.
Old 12-04-10, 03:11 PM   #23
RunBandoRun
Needs to contact Admin about multiple accounts

Location: Formerly know as"Vibiana"/Living in a van down by the river

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
I'm going to beat my kid because of this.
Deftones for the win!

I did change mine, but without posting the little blurb about child abuse. If someone is going to beat their kid, they'll do it without my inspiration.

Oh, and my character is, of course, Fat Albert. Hey, hey, hey!

EDITED TO ADD that before this, my profile pic was Warhol Vigo, THEEK's creation. Sort of a cartoon, but not quite.
Old 12-04-10, 03:27 PM   #24
Cardsfan111
DVD Talk Legend

I'm now operating under the assumption that any of my Facebook friends whose profile picture is not a cartoon character either abuses children themselves or sees nothing wrong with child abuse.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 12-04-10, 05:05 PM   #25
EdTheRipper
DVD Talk Legend

I don't follow any of the Facebook fads. This is no exception.
Sponsored Links