Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-02-10, 11:12 AM   #51
Moopher
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: What's good @ Five Guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
i really need to try one. everyone i know that's had one says they are great.
They are unbelievably good! Get some Smash fries too!

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the darkness at Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die." - Roy Batty
Old 11-02-10, 11:15 AM   #52
SethDLH
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm pretty sure this thread just got me to go to 5 guys for lunch. I haven't had one of their delicious burgers in a long time.
Old 11-02-10, 11:32 AM   #53
Trevor
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

If Five Guys had coupons I'd be 50 pounds heavier.
Old 11-02-10, 11:34 AM   #54
Chrisedge
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They were rated the top burger in Zagats this year.

They are my favorite burger place (beating INO)

But In-N-Out is a close second...

DVDTalk Member #1758 since: 06-09-99
I Hate Blockbuster chrisedge.com My first post I can find here
Old 11-02-10, 11:37 AM   #55
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

For some reason they put the closest Five Guys to me right next to a Potbellys. Needless to say, if I'm over that way I don't eat at Five Guys.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 11-02-10, 11:40 AM   #56
wendersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
For some reason they put the closest Five Guys to me right next to a Potbellys. Needless to say, if I'm over that way I don't eat at Five Guys.
The Five Guys in my neighborhood is across the street from a Potbellys.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 11-02-10, 11:40 AM   #57
lewisb73
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love Five Guys... and have come around a great deal on them fries too, as long as they are the cajun ones... luckily I always go with someone so we end up sharing fries

I generally order a cheeseburger with ketchup, mayo, lettuce and onions... like simplicity
Old 11-02-10, 12:06 PM   #58
stp115
DVD Talk Special Edition

Five Guys is the best fast food burger I have ever had, bar none. Even blows regular chains (Like Fuddruckers/Red Robin) away. I've been to places that server a better burger, but not that quickly, or that cheaply. As for the fries, I, my wife and my son all share a small - and we don't always finish them.

Last edited by stp115; 11-02-10 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-02-10, 12:12 PM   #59
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

They're my favorite fast food burger but I'm not their biggest fan all around. A tad overpriced.

I usually get a regular (2 patties) cheeseburger with grilled mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, lettuce and some bbq sauce, along with a small side of fries (small? bullshit.)

Still, in a clutch, they are pretty good. And for some reason their hot dogs are kind of awesome (sliced down the center, grilled and topped with whatever it is you want). Plus the one out here is open until 3 AM (weekends), which is really when it counts (the other 5 in the area close at 10 though).
Old 11-02-10, 12:43 PM   #60
Randy Miller III
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp115 View Post
Five Guys is the best fast food burger I have ever had, bar none. Even blows regular chains (Like Fuddruckers/Red Robin) away. I've been to places that server a better burger, but not that quickly, or that cheaply. As for the fries, I, my wife and my son all share a son - and we don't always finish them.
Sweet, didn't realize you could eat children there.

Old 11-02-10, 01:01 PM   #61
stp115
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Miller III View Post
Sweet, didn't realize you could eat children there.

You do need to order that from a special menu though.
Old 11-02-10, 01:16 PM   #62
rabbit77
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Their auto-fellating decor is just too much for me. Floor to ceiling posters of all the magazine articles about them and their awards. It's ok, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go to one like I do with in-n-out.
Old 11-02-10, 02:16 PM   #63
milo bloom
DVD Talk Legend

It's decent, I do like the cajun fries, but no one else I go with does. The burgers do tend to have more of a "cooked on a grill outside" flavor in my opinion, but I haven't been in months and even reading this thread hasn't made me crave one.

Spinehunting - picking up used Criterion DVDs.
Old 11-02-10, 02:27 PM   #64
slop101
DVD Talk Legend

The problem with 5 Guys isn't that it's bad or even that expensive, but the fact that for just a few dollars more, I can go down the street, to a real restaurant or a gastropub and order an amazing gourmet burger. The kind with prime-quality dry-aged meat that's ground up fresh on the spot, served with imported cheese on a fresh-baked bun. (pics below, spoilerized for size and explicit food content)
Spoiler:

Sure, 5 Guys might be quicker and a little cheapre, but if I'm going to consume those types of calories, why not spend just a few dollars more and get those calories in an exponentially better package?

Or for the same price as 5 Guys, I can get a much better fast-food burger at local independent places like "Yellow Basket" or "Dukes" or "TK", or just get two D-Ds at In-N-Out, which is much more satisfying than one 5 Guys burger.
Old 11-02-10, 02:27 PM   #65
MoviePage
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks to this thread, I tried Five Guys for the first time today. It's been here in my town for a little under a year now.

Burger was good, and I'm glad I took the advice here and only got the regular fries. I ate about half of them and that was still overdoing it. Everything was really greasy.

I'll forward the doctor bill to DVDTalk.
Old 11-02-10, 02:36 PM   #66
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
The problem with 5 Guys isn't that it's bad or even that expensive, but the fact that for just a few dollars more, I can go down the street, to a real restaurant or a gastropub and order an amazing gourmet burger. The kind with prime-quality dry-aged meat that's ground up fresh on the spot, served with imported cheese on a fresh-baked bun. (pics below, spoilerized for size and explicit food content)
Spoiler:

Sure, 5 Guys might be quicker and a little cheapre, but if I'm going to consume those types of calories, why not spend just a few dollars more and get those calories in an exponentially better package?

Or for the same price as 5 Guys, I can get a much better fast-food burger at local independent places like "Yellow Basket" or "Dukes" or "TK", or just get two D-Ds at In-N-Out, which is much more satisfying than one 5 Guys burger.

I've had gourmet burgers before. Usually I don't care for the buns they use (like the one in your pic) and I'm not a fan of fancy condiments. They may look prettier, but I don't think they can beat the taste of a Five Guys burger.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 11-02-10, 02:45 PM   #67
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
wenders is a "Veggie."
I think "plant killer" is the correct term.
Old 11-02-10, 02:54 PM   #68
slop101
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I've had gourmet burgers before. Usually I don't care for the buns they use (like the one in your pic) and I'm not a fan of fancy condiments. They may look prettier, but I don't think they can beat the taste of a Five Guys burger.
Then you must not like meat (since that's what a good gourmet burger is all about; quality meat and building a burger around that meat to accentuate it - and the condiments are essentially just cheese, bacon, greens and sauce - nothing too wacky, and the bun, while fresh and fluffy, isn't very dense and worlds better than the shit 5Gs uses for buns), and if you don't like meat, what are you doing eating a burger anyways? Go off with Wendersfan and have some tofu!
Old 11-02-10, 03:05 PM   #69
wendersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
I think "plant killer" is the correct term.
They taste better if you eat them with a little fight still in 'em.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 11-02-10, 03:08 PM   #70
SethDLH
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I will confirm they are still delicious
Old 11-02-10, 03:12 PM   #71
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Then you must not like meat (since that's what a good gourmet burger is all about; quality meat and building a burger around that meat to accentuate it - and the condiments are essentially just cheese, bacon, greens and sauce - nothing too wacky, and the bun, while fresh and fluffy, isn't very dense and worlds better than the shit 5Gs uses for buns), and if you don't like meat, what are you doing eating a burger anyways? Go off with Wendersfan and have some tofu!
I think burgers should be simple. A traditional sesame seed bun is what I want. 3, maybe 4 condiments tops, and only the tradtional ones. The meat shouldn't be too lean and it doesn't need to be gourmet to make a great burger. I suppose different cheeses could make a difference but I'm simple: prefer Swiss (which you unfortunately can't get at 5 Guys), then American.

You can have your foo-foo burgers. Give me a real one.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 11-02-10, 03:24 PM   #72
slop101
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I think burgers should be simple. A traditional sesame seed bun is what I want. 3, maybe 4 condiments tops, and only the tradtional ones. The meat shouldn't be too lean and it doesn't need to be gourmet to make a great burger. I suppose different cheeses could make a difference but I'm simple: prefer Swiss (which you unfortunately can't get at 5 Guys), then American.

You can have your foo-foo burgers. Give me a real one.
Except for the bun, you pretty much described the burgers I posted. The meat is hardly lean (you need a good deal of fat to be juicy) and they do only have 3-4 condiments - what's so non-traditional about mixed greens as opposed to lettuce? Or caramelized onions instead of raw onions? Or thick-cut sugar-cured bacon instead of regular bacon. What you call "foo-foo" is just a higher grade of quality. Do you compare a Prime cut of beef to a Choice cut by calling the Prime froo-froo? Pearls before swine, I suppose.
Old 11-02-10, 03:51 PM   #73
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Yeah - but I don't think burger meat needs to come from a prime cut like a filet or something like that. You seem to think you need high caliber beef to create a better burger.

The funny thing about bacon is that I like regular bacon more than thick cut and most people probably think that's bizarre. Thick cut is usually more chewy. I think regular bacon fries up better.

To each their own I guess. I've never had a better burger than a 5 Guys burger and I've had gourmet burgers that cost $8+ in a sitdown restaurant plenty of times. It's my favorite. I've never had In & Out though. Then there's Ray's Hellburger - which probably is close to a gourmet burger - everyone seems to rave about that place around here.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 11-02-10, 04:59 PM   #74
Josh-da-man
DVD Talk Legend

Ate there last week.

For all the praise they receive here, I found the burgers and fries wholly unremarkable.

The food, as a whole, lacks finesse. The meat in the burger was bland and unseasoned, the cheese tasted like plain American cheese, and the bun was plain. It tasted exactly like something I could throw together in my kitchen with a Rainbow bun, some ground chuck, and a Kraft single.

The fries, which were so highly regarded in an earlier thread, were greasy and soggy. I got the "cajun fries" which were caked with some kind of powder that lacked punch for the quantity that was on them.
"Two guys in a bathroom stall it feels like the most important place in the whole world in that moment. I've actually gone into bathroom stalls with friends since I quit, just so I still have a little bit of that bonding." - Lars Ulrich
Old 11-02-10, 06:38 PM   #75
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
Everyone raves about Five Guys here and claim it puts In & Out to shame in terms of California fast food, but I've never tried it.
Five Guys absolutely does not. In taste and value among fast food chains, In 'N' Out reigns supreme. That said, Five Guys burgers are very good. But it's not the same as In 'N' Out, or Shake Shack.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Sponsored Links