DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-08-11, 11:34 AM   #126
X
Administrator

Re: Up early/late smoking a pig

Starve the coals for air when the temperature gets too high. It goes down pretty quick that way.
Old 08-08-11, 11:59 AM   #127
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by X View Post
Starve the coals for air when the temperature gets too high. It goes down pretty quick that way.
Yeah? That's what I kind of figured, less air=lower temp, but I kept the door shut and everything sealed up as tight as it could be for 30 minutes or so and the temp didn't come down at all. I'll just leave it closed up longer next time I guess.
Old 08-08-11, 12:35 PM   #128
DVD Talk Hero

The third annual pig roast is supposed to be next week but as of now, we are are smoker less
Old 08-08-11, 01:23 PM   #129
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktick View Post
Had a successful first rib smoking Saturday.

Ended up using the BRITU dry rub. Pulled the membrane off, applied the rub, let them sit a couple hours while I go the smoker going.

My first mistake, as I discovered a few hours later, was putting too much charcoal on. I used about 12 lbs. as both the BRITU recipes and the Brinkman manual called for, but it shot up to over 400 degrees pretty fast, and took forever to come back down. I set an oven thermometer on the grate above the water, so don't know how accurate that was, and was also going by the gauge on the Brinkman lid.

I ended up just leaving the door open (no other vents on the Brinkman), hoping that would let more air in to burn the coals off faster. It took a few hours to get it back down to about 300. By then I was sick of waiting, and the temperature was still going down, so I put the ribs on (which I ended up cutting in half, to fit on the grill).

Threw some wood on (hickory and cherry), filled the water back up, closed the door, and let them go for 3 hours. Temp ended up coming down to about 250 and stayed pretty steady.

Then took them off and wrapped all 6 slabs individually in aluminum foil (added maybe 1/2 oz. of water to each at direction of my bro-in-law), added a bit more charcoal since the temp was heading near 200, and let them go 2 hours.

Didn't cook them with any BBQ sauce on or anything. Turned out great, I thought. Better than any ribs I've ever had at a restaurant, that's for sure.

The smoker ended up going for about 8 hours total since I waited so long for the temp to come down...probably should have just taken the body off to let the coals burn up faster? Other than that it went surprisingly well. Thanks for the advice here.

What should I try next?
Glad it ended up well but now you know why BBQ vets don't like the Brinkmanns. Too hard to control the temps, very inefficient with the fuel, and requires too much babysitting. If you plan on smoking regularly, get a better smoker.
Old 08-08-11, 01:27 PM   #130
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMan2819 View Post
Glad it ended up well but now you know why BBQ vets don't like the Brinkmanns. Too hard to control the temps, very inefficient with the fuel, and requires too much babysitting. If you plan on smoking regularly, get a better smoker.
Hey, the babysitting was my favorite part of the process!
Old 08-12-11, 07:57 AM   #131
DVD Talk Legend

So I want to do another smoke tomorrow, but it's supposed to rain all day (I believe just a steady light rain is forecast)...will the Brinkman be ok?
Old 08-12-11, 10:36 AM   #132
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I know in the case of the WSM, rain doesn't hurt too much except maybe cause it to run a little cooler. Wind is the big issue.

Now think real hard. You been bird-dogging this township a while now. They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet: I will end you.
Old 08-12-11, 11:12 AM   #133
X
Administrator

I don't like water dripping into the vent on top of my smoker. The food is below it.
Old 08-20-11, 06:55 AM   #134
DVD Talk Hero

My friend built us a smoker. Party is tonight if anyone is in the Atlanta area

Old 08-20-11, 03:33 PM   #135
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That looks so disgusting... yet so delicious at the same time.
Old 09-03-11, 01:46 PM   #136
DVD Talk Legend

Getting the smoker out again tomorrow...I'm thinking about doing whole chicken(s). Any suggestions there? Might actually do a chicken or two on one level and ribs on the other, if there isn't a huge issue with doing so (aside from different cooking times)?
Old 09-03-11, 05:23 PM   #137
X
Administrator

I don't think I'd want either of those dripping on the other. I don't use dual layers for things that drip a lot.

I'm smoking a salmon right now.
Old 09-03-11, 08:37 PM   #138
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Getting the smoker out again tomorrow...I'm thinking about doing whole chicken(s). Any suggestions there? Might actually do a chicken or two on one level and ribs on the other, if there isn't a huge issue with doing so (aside from different cooking times)?
I have done ribs over chicken and brisket over chicken.

I butterfly my chicken and put them on the bottom rack of the WSM.

The ribs I start earlier and usually foil in the middle of the process, so they don't drip on the chicken.

I did a high heat brisket (which I wasn't a fan of) and I am pretty sure it too went on before the chix. The brisket was 4 hours I think, and the chicken was 90 minutes, temps 300-350.

I also tried beer butt chicken, but I wasn't a fan, although my wife want to try it again sometime.

Really though, as long as you keep the temperatures safe, you can put chicken over whatever, or vise-versa.

Tonight I am doing butts, and will end up putting ribs over them sometime late morning.

Last edited by jonw9; 09-03-11 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-03-11, 08:48 PM   #139
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks. The chickens I ended up getting are about 4 lbs. each. How long would you recommend they go (hopefully this time I can control the temp a little better...shooting for about 250 I think?)?

The ribs I let go 3 hours the first time I did them, then wrapped them in foil, and let them go another 2 hours. Obviously it would be ideal if the chicken only needed those last 2 hours...

Brine recommendations? How long should I let them soak?

Rubs? I'm probably going to use the BRITU recipe for the ribs again, at least for the most part. Might play with it a bit. What should I use for the chicken?

The beer butt chicken is where you stick half a can of beer in them?

X - let me know how the salmon is. I actually catch a few chinook a week on Lake Michigan, usually cut them up into smaller servings at the cleaning station. Next outing I'm going to leave them in their full halves, I'm assuming that's what I should do if I want to smoke them?
Old 09-03-11, 09:59 PM   #140
X
Administrator

Quote:
X - let me know how the salmon is. I actually catch a few chinook a week on Lake Michigan, usually cut them up into smaller servings at the cleaning station. Next outing I'm going to leave them in their full halves, I'm assuming that's what I should do if I want to smoke them?
The salmon was amazing, maybe the best I ever made out of probably 20 times. The secret is to not dry it out.

I follow this recipe: http://virtualweberbullet.com/salmon1.html but I use skinless salmon, put the finishing sprinkle on both sides, and put the fish right on the grill, not on foil. Just 2.5-3 hours @ 230-250 for a 3-4 lb. piece works out fine.

It's really unbelievable how good it turns out. I'm not even a big fan of salmon, I don't care about it when it's grilled, broiled, or baked. But this is something entirely different.
Old 09-04-11, 08:25 AM   #141
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Thanks. The chickens I ended up getting are about 4 lbs. each. How long would you recommend they go (hopefully this time I can control the temp a little better...shooting for about 250 I think?)?

The ribs I let go 3 hours the first time I did them, then wrapped them in foil, and let them go another 2 hours. Obviously it would be ideal if the chicken only needed those last 2 hours...

Brine recommendations? How long should I let them soak?

Rubs? I'm probably going to use the BRITU recipe for the ribs again, at least for the most part. Might play with it a bit. What should I use for the chicken?

The beer butt chicken is where you stick half a can of beer in them?

Might be a little late, but here goes:

1) 250 is a bit low for chicken, the skin will be rubbery, and I think at 250 the will probably take longer than 2 hours. You could do the ribs, then bump up the heat when you put the chicken on. Then perhaps hold the foiled ribs a bit before putting them back on. I do the 3-2-1 method, which may go against the BRITU rules, but the family likes them that way.

2) Brine, I just make something up, usually some apple juice, water, salt, and a bit of sugar. I would say an hour to 1.5. If your bird is "enhanced", i.e. "juices added" or something about solution on the package, brining won't do anything for you.

3) I am doing BRITU ribs, going on at 11. As for chicken, I use either:

Wild Willy's Number One-derful Rub
6 Tablespoons paprika
2 Tablespoons ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon granulated garlic
1 Tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne
Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.

-or-

Modified Armadillo Willy's Rub
1/4 cup Turbinado sugar
1/4 cup table salt
1/4 cup paprika
1 Tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon granulated garlic
1 Tablespoon onion powder
1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander

I use Armadillo on my butts, so I use it on the chicken as well if I am doing them on the same cook. If it is something like ribs and chicken, then I will use One-derful on the chicken.

4) Yes, BBC is when you prop the chicken up on a can of beer. I did one of those next to a butterflied chicken once, and did a side-by-side comparison (same rub, etc.) and it was a unanimous decision that the butterflied tasted better.

There is also a method of doing a turkey, with one of those big cans of Foster's beer. I want to do one for Thanksgiving, but the family is hesitant to break tradition.
Old 09-04-11, 08:42 AM   #142
DVD Talk Legend

Not too late, don't plan on eating until tonight, thanks a lot.

So the ribs will definitely take longer than the chicken? I did finally pick up a meat thermometer - sounds like 150-165 is the target temp for chicken?

Do you spray your chicken with anything during smoking?
Old 09-04-11, 08:57 AM   #143
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The chicken cooking time depends on the smoker temp.
http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...126#4641037126

It looks like a couple options are:
a) Start ribs/chicken at the same time, low temp (~225). Crisp the chicken skin over the coals (or grill) at the end.
b) Cook the ribs fully, and hold while cooking the chicken at higher temp
c) Start the ribs, then add the chicken while foiling, bring up the temp to ~350

I typically don't baste during my cooks. I am not sure how much flavor is really added, and I heard/follow the rule that every time you open the lid, you add 15 minutes to the cooking time.

I think chicken temps are 160 breast, 170 thigh.

If I am opening the lid to check the temp, turn, etc. then I sometimes spritz with some apple juice/vinegar/oil concoction (1:1:1). Nothing fancy.
Old 09-04-11, 09:19 AM   #144
DVD Talk Legend

I think I'll probably try putting the chicken on when I foil the ribs and add charcoal. Might take the ribs off a little earlier and keep them wrapped up.

How should I put the chicken on the grill? Just leave it whole and open the legs up?

Last edited by aktick; 09-04-11 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-04-11, 10:19 AM   #145
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

By grill, do you mean the smoker?
If yes, then I butterfly: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/butterflychicken.html

If you mean actual grill to crisp the skin, I don't know, I don't do that. But it would be easy enough to put on the grill whole (butterflied) skin-side down to crisp, then remove from heat and let rest. Probably how I would do it.
Old 09-04-11, 10:37 AM   #146
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, on the smoker. Thanks. What difference does it make if you leave the back/breast bones in?
Old 09-04-11, 10:51 AM   #147
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yeah, on the smoker. Thanks. What difference does it make if you leave the back/breast bones in?
You mean whole vs flied?

Buttryflying would increase the surface area. This would help two fold, first it would decrease the cooking time, second, it will increase the area for smoke to penetrate..
Old 09-04-11, 11:14 AM   #148
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonw9 View Post
You mean whole vs flied?

Buttryflying would increase the surface area. This would help two fold, first it would decrease the cooking time, second, it will increase the area for smoke to penetrate..
Yeah, I guess I didn't realize it would decrease cooking time since I figured it was so much more of an indirect heat than on a grill. Just got the smoker started, it's windier than a bitch today and it's swirling all around the house, so I'm going to try putting it just inside the garage.
Old 09-04-11, 11:47 AM   #149
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

whoa... inside the garage?!?! hardcore.
Old 09-04-11, 11:54 AM   #150
DVD Talk Legend

OK, I should clarify - ended up setting it just in front of the 3rd stall, which goes straight back to a rear garage door which I opened. So the smoke is now just going straight through the garage and out. Parked my SUV about 15' away to help block the wind too. Watch this thread for updates on calls to the fire department.

What do you guys do to keep the smoker level if you have a sloped driveway? I have a 3x3 piece of fire barrier stuff that used to be used under a wood burning stove and then I shim it to level it out. But it's not really ideal.