Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-06-11, 08:04 AM   #101
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Up early/late smoking a pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mole177 View Post
What rig do you have to fit a whole pig in ?!!?!
we made our own above ground grill type of thing in the back yard. just three cinder block walls and then a grate on top of that with a metal dome and a couple of metal doors we can open to stoke the fire.
Old 05-06-11, 03:38 PM   #102
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

whoa... can you take a snap shot of that ruckus?

don't think the area i live in will appreciate smoking flesh on concrete.
Old 05-06-11, 04:46 PM   #103
DVD Talk Hero

I can't believe you didn't stick an apple in that swine's yap. That's the classic bit.
Old 05-06-11, 06:09 PM   #104
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
I can't believe you didn't stick an apple in that swine's yap. That's the classic bit.
We did the first year. Not sure why we didn't the 2nd. Probably forgot to buy an apple.
Old 05-06-11, 06:16 PM   #105
DVD Talk Hero

The smoker:

The first pig:

Old 05-06-11, 06:21 PM   #106
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
The first pig:

The apple is the wrong way. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how you "go at" the pig when eating it. This sounds like a dumb question but how do you get a serving of the pig without cutting it up after smoking it?

I'm a creationist, I believe man created God. - Seen on a bumper sticker
Old 05-06-11, 07:31 PM   #107
DVD Talk Hero

Was that pig a thalidomide baby?
Old 05-07-11, 10:38 AM   #108
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
The apple is the wrong way. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how you "go at" the pig when eating it. This sounds like a dumb question but how do you get a serving of the pig without cutting it up after smoking it?
We cut it up. Those pictures are right after it was taken off the grill. The open part is the part that fell apart on its own because of how soft the meat gets after smoking it. The pig is stuffed with veggies and the weight of the veggies ripped open the rib cage. After taking pictures, we cut it up so folks could get a helping easily
Old 05-07-11, 10:39 AM   #109
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Was that pig a thalidomide baby?
ha. i had to google that. I assume you means its legs? they fell off while trying to get the pig off the grill.
Old 05-07-11, 03:03 PM   #110
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
We cut it up. Those pictures are right after it was taken off the grill. The open part is the part that fell apart on its own because of how soft the meat gets after smoking it. The pig is stuffed with veggies and the weight of the veggies ripped open the rib cage. After taking pictures, we cut it up so folks could get a helping easily
Gotcha

I'm a creationist, I believe man created God. - Seen on a bumper sticker
Old 08-04-11, 07:40 PM   #111
DVD Talk Legend

So after talking about buying one forever...my brother-in-law moved to Hawaii and gave me his Brinkman.

Obviously I have to use it now. What would you recommend for a beginner? I'd prefer to do some ribs. And I don't mind babysitting it all day Saturday with a beer in my hand.
Old 08-04-11, 08:08 PM   #112
X
Administrator

I just bought a bunch of ribs today!

Ribs are very easy. Look up the BRITU rib recipe for a start.
Old 08-04-11, 08:28 PM   #113
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktick View Post
So after talking about buying one forever...my brother-in-law moved to Hawaii and gave me his Brinkman.

Obviously I have to use it now. What would you recommend for a beginner? I'd prefer to do some ribs. And I don't mind babysitting it all day Saturday with a beer in my hand.
The Pitmaster? Or one of the verticals?
Old 08-04-11, 08:37 PM   #114
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyronin View Post
The Pitmaster? Or one of the verticals?
A vertical, like this...it's been used quite a bit though, so it's probably not the best thing in the world for a beginner to use, but I'll give it a try.

So for my first time, should I just try 1 cut and 1 rub, or mix it up a bit?

For the BRITU...it seems I just want loin back ribs? I'm not really familiar with the different types of ribs, or at least what they're called. What label should I look for? I do have a good local butcher, but might I be better off just getting some vacuum packed ribs from the grocery store?

Last edited by aktick; 08-04-11 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-04-11, 09:10 PM   #115
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I have a cheapo verticle and ribs are super easy, as is pulled pork.
Old 08-04-11, 09:33 PM   #116
X
Administrator

Quote:
For the BRITU...it seems I just want loin back ribs? I'm not really familiar with the different types of ribs, or at least what they're called. What label should I look for? I do have a good local butcher, but might I be better off just getting some vacuum packed ribs from the grocery store?
Just get baby back ribs. You can buy them vacuum packed as I did today ($3.99/lb at Costco) or from your butcher ($4.99 this week from mine, but the "baby" has been getting progressively bigger there lately.)
Old 08-05-11, 01:38 AM   #117

mmmm ribs.

very forgiving. just make sure the water pan is always filled. you can throw in carrots, potatoes, onions, celery and have it as a soup as its been simmered for the time the ribs were in.

keep your rub simple and prepare it a night before. baby back, 2/2/1 or 2.5/1.5/1 (ratio of hours of unfoiled/foiled/unfoiled.)

what wood you planning to go with ?

Old 08-05-11, 09:15 AM   #118
DVD Talk Legend

Baby back ribs. Check.

He had a couple bags of wood...one has 4 big chunks of hickory, the other has smaller chips of apple.

How much does it typically take? Should I grab some more (and different types? I see the BRITU calls for white oak and cherry)?
Old 08-05-11, 10:01 AM   #119

Ribs are pretty easy. I don't worry about foiling mine. I would just put in a couple of chunks of wood. For two full racks of ribs, I do 2 good sized apple chunks and 1 hickory. You don't want to oversmoke them. I rub mine, throw em in there, get the temp between 225 and 250, and leave em alone. After about 3 hours, I check on them, maybe spritz them with a little apple juice. When they are close to done (pull test, they should tear pretty easily when picked up and meat should be pulled away from the bones), I brush them with sauce and let them go for another 10-15 min. Easy peasy.

Now think real hard. You been bird-dogging this township a while now. They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet: I will end you.
Old 08-05-11, 11:34 AM   #120
DVD Talk Legend

Should I soak the wood or not? BRITU (which I'm going to go with) recipe says no?

How should I arrange the ribs on the grill? Right on the grill, or use a rib rack or something else?
Old 08-05-11, 11:37 AM   #121
DVD Talk Legend

Had to replace the controller on my Traeger yesterday. Now instead of 5 degree increments that never are accurate, I get total accuracy of temperature. So excited.
Old 08-05-11, 11:40 AM   #122

Quote:
Should I soak the wood or not? BRITU (which I'm going to go with) recipe says no?

How should I arrange the ribs on the grill? Right on the grill, or use a rib rack or something else?
nah. even if you soak overnight, it will only moisten the chunk by a couple mm's.

low and slow, and if you're looking, you ain't cookin.
Old 08-05-11, 12:26 PM   #123
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

best ribs i ever made in my smoker i just seasoned them with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper. then you pack a thick layer of brown sugar on top. let it sit for and hour and the brown sugar melts. put em in the smoker and keep spraying them with oj. best ribs ever and no sauce needed. also not super sweet like it sounds they would be. oh and i dont foil them either.
Old 08-05-11, 10:24 PM   #124
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

I did a small chuck roast on my smoker a few weeks ago
turned out well
Old 08-08-11, 11:22 AM   #125
DVD Talk Legend

Had a successful first rib smoking Saturday.

Ended up using the BRITU dry rub. Pulled the membrane off, applied the rub, let them sit a couple hours while I go the smoker going.

My first mistake, as I discovered a few hours later, was putting too much charcoal on. I used about 12 lbs. as both the BRITU recipes and the Brinkman manual called for, but it shot up to over 400 degrees pretty fast, and took forever to come back down. I set an oven thermometer on the grate above the water, so don't know how accurate that was, and was also going by the gauge on the Brinkman lid.

I ended up just leaving the door open (no other vents on the Brinkman), hoping that would let more air in to burn the coals off faster. It took a few hours to get it back down to about 300. By then I was sick of waiting, and the temperature was still going down, so I put the ribs on (which I ended up cutting in half, to fit on the grill).

Threw some wood on (hickory and cherry), filled the water back up, closed the door, and let them go for 3 hours. Temp ended up coming down to about 250 and stayed pretty steady.

Then took them off and wrapped all 6 slabs individually in aluminum foil (added maybe 1/2 oz. of water to each at direction of my bro-in-law), added a bit more charcoal since the temp was heading near 200, and let them go 2 hours.

Didn't cook them with any BBQ sauce on or anything. Turned out great, I thought. Better than any ribs I've ever had at a restaurant, that's for sure.

The smoker ended up going for about 8 hours total since I waited so long for the temp to come down...probably should have just taken the body off to let the coals burn up faster? Other than that it went surprisingly well. Thanks for the advice here.

What should I try next?