Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-02-17, 02:41 PM   #501
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Up early/late smoking a pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I've had my Vision Kamodo for years and have yet to smoke anything of any significance. I've done smaller thing like pork roasts but never a butt or a brisket. I have trouble keeping the temps consistent over a longer cook. I've been toying with the idea of getting a one of those temp regulator things but the price always prevents me from pulling the trigger.
Are you letting it 'heat soak' for a bit before attempting a longer cook? I've had a Visions grill for about 6 months and have done numerous butts, briskets etc..

Start with a full load of lump. Start the fire, leave lid open for 10 minutes
Close lid, open vents full until you get within 25-50 degrees of your target temp.
start shutting the vents and let temp stabilize for 30-45 minutes.

After that, it's pretty much set it and forget it.
Old 08-02-17, 02:46 PM   #502
DVD Talk Legend

I'm skipping that leave the vents fully open step. I always heard that adjusting from overshooting your temp takes much longer so I start with the vents mostly closed after I close the lid.
Old 08-05-17, 01:31 PM   #503
DVD Talk God

So anyone ever have this happen before? I've got an almost 9 pound pork shoulder, bone in. I put it on the smoker at 6:30 am, since I've run anywhere from 8 to 12 hours for these. If it's done earlier, I just put it in cooler for a few hours. Well, I just temp'd this thing with 2 different thermometers at numerous places and it's almost to temp. 5 hours. I did it on 275, which is a bit higher than I usually do, just to ensure it's done for this party I am having. Anyway, it's like there was no stall at all. Just went all the way up and got to temp. Thing is, I tried to wiggle the bone and it's still firmly lodged in there. So I am in a quandary. I don't want to overcook this thing, but I also don't want it undercooked to where it's not tender. Help?
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 08-06-17, 10:31 AM   #504
DVD Talk Legend

What was the result Deftones?

Kurtie Dee gets Otter:Think about that: Since you're asking us, you know what you want to do is wrong.
Old 08-06-17, 06:39 PM   #505
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
What was the result Deftones?
Surprisingly one of the best ones I have done. I have zero idea what happened. Never had one that bypassed the stall. Everyone enjoyed it so won't complain.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 08-09-17, 10:40 AM   #506

Well I snagged the Camp Chef Pellet SE from Walmart $169 and pellets 40lbs/$10

One of my favorite things ever. Man, the day some syrup accidentally crept across the plate onto my bacon was a new milestone in the life of my eating habits - Thor Simpson
Old 08-09-17, 03:18 PM   #507
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
So anyone ever have this happen before? I've got an almost 9 pound pork shoulder, bone in. I put it on the smoker at 6:30 am, since I've run anywhere from 8 to 12 hours for these. If it's done earlier, I just put it in cooler for a few hours. Well, I just temp'd this thing with 2 different thermometers at numerous places and it's almost to temp. 5 hours. I did it on 275, which is a bit higher than I usually do, just to ensure it's done for this party I am having. Anyway, it's like there was no stall at all. Just went all the way up and got to temp. Thing is, I tried to wiggle the bone and it's still firmly lodged in there. So I am in a quandary. I don't want to overcook this thing, but I also don't want it undercooked to where it's not tender. Help?
Well that's why slow smoking is as much an art as a science.

I have absolutely stone cold down how to do pork. I get amazing results every time. Mainly based on keeping everything the same I can.

However, I've had a heck of time with brisket. Which is disappointing for a Texan. Its so inconsistent, I rarely make it. As winter rolls around, I might try it again.

Home Theater Build