Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-13-10, 09:58 AM   #26
X
Administrator

Re: Up early/late smoking a pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Course I did read that nothing absorbs heat better than water. And that if you use a pan full of water it will never, no matter what get over about that magic 250 mark.
That's not true at all. I can easily get mine over that when it's full of water and frequently have to close the bottom vents to prevent too high a heat. I wish it were true, it would be easier to regulate the heat.
Old 06-13-10, 09:39 PM   #27
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by X View Post
That's not true at all. I can easily get mine over that when it's full of water and frequently have to close the bottom vents to prevent too high a heat. I wish it were true, it would be easier to regulate the heat.
Well then...good to know!

I had a great cook for my first time. At that 7 hr mark when it was running hot, I all but shut down two of the three vents and only had the 3rd open a 1/2. It locked in to 225 fantastically! I cooked another 8 hrs like that. And when I pulled the meat off at 200 degrees I put the lid back on the smoker and it went several more hours like that. AMAZING!!

I'm super happy! I've read where these units new, run hot. So that might have been the issue with the first 7 hours. Or I simply had the vents open to much.

The pork was tender. Tho the bark was a little chewy for my taste. But after pulling off the smoker, guests were not here yet. So I wrapped in foil for a little over an hour before pulling. That might have had something to do with it. Oh it wasn't bad, I just had to cut/chop the bark into smaller pieces.

I feel comfortable now controlling the temp with clay saucer and sand. See no need for water...

Here is a look as I was pulling the pork...

Home Theater Build
Old 06-13-10, 10:44 PM   #28
X
Administrator

I just got done eating brisket. It was really, really, good! I've made pastrami lots of times, but never brisket. It's definitely worth trying.

I certainly had a hard time keeping the smoker under 250. Right off the bat it went up to 267, loaded with water, and ended up at 330 with a full pan of water as well. Don't count on the water keeping the temps low.
Old 06-13-10, 11:28 PM   #29
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I just got done eating brisket. It was really, really, good! I've made pastrami lots of times, but never brisket. It's definitely worth trying.

I certainly had a hard time keeping the smoker under 250. Right off the bat it went up to 267, loaded with water, and ended up at 330 with a full pan of water as well. Don't count on the water keeping the temps low.
Wow...that's amazing that it got that hot.

One note, it looks like they put in a bigger water pan for 2010. Mine is larger than any pics I had scene.

Tho as mentioned, I just foiled the water pan in and out for easy clean up. But then left empty. And put a clay saucer (14") on top of the water pan. I put sand in the saucer and foil over that to make clean up easy. When I started cooking at 11 w/the smoker at about 220. But I feel asleep at 12:30 and woke at 6 to it at about 280-290! Again, closed down the vents (I had them all at 1/2) brought it down perfect and I had no trouble keeping at 225.

I'm thinking the thermometer in the led is off a bit. Meaning, the temp of the pork move up incredibly slow when I knocked down to 225. I wasn't worried since I was already ahead of the game. But for the last two hours or so I let the temp in the cooker get to 250 and the temp in the meat came up more quickly.

I have a brisket in the freezer. I might try it next weekend. Did you shred or slice it? At what temp did you pull it off?

Home Theater Build
Old 06-13-10, 11:37 PM   #30
X
Administrator

I sliced it, but some of it was about ready to shred so I had to be careful about it.

I cooked it uncovered up to about 160, maybe a little higher. Each time I stuck a thermometer in it between 140 and 160 it spewed out liquid like a blown out undersea oil rig.

Then I put it in foil (supposedly to keep it moist) and allowed the smoker temp to get up to 330 and took the brisket out when it hit about 198. No liquid spewed out when I took that temp, but it felt very tender.

Let it rest about an hour and sliced it. It wasn't very moist and that's about the only negative thing I could say about it. It was about the best tasting meat I've ever had. I'll have to work on the moisture part. but I really don't want to have to inject it or anything.
Old 06-14-10, 07:47 AM   #31
DVD Talk Legend

When I first read how you did it, I thought you meant you had the lid of the smoker off and was like "how the heck did that work?".

I highly recommend those "wireless" thermometers. I'm actually using one from Walmart now and it works well. I usually put the probe in before I put the meat on the cooker and leave it in the entire cooking time. This seems to eliminate that "busting the balloon" effect. Also, it give you a chance to take your time, be purposeful, make sure you put in the right place with no bone, etc.

I've only done a brisket once before (yea, even tho from Texas I like Pork over brisket). Mine didn't come out great. But I think the major issue I had was I cut with the grain, not against when I sliced. So it seemed a lot more tough than it was.

I've been using a pretty standard rub. I might venture out a bit. I see some like to put a bit of coffee on in their rub...

Home Theater Build
Old 06-14-10, 08:14 AM   #32
DVD Talk Legend

I got one of those little Brinkmans for free from a friend and have had nothing but success so far (ribs twice, and pulled pork once) I'm hoping to do a brisket this weekend, which is always my favorite. It's been a little tricky to keep the temp consistent, and it's hard to fit a lot of food in there, but for a starter set it's been treating me well. I think I'll try adding some brown sugar to my rub next time too.

I got the same Walmart wireless thermometer, it's been working fine, now that I figured out how to adjust the temp manually.
Old 06-14-10, 08:38 AM   #33
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I use the clay pot, foiled, but no sand. I have not had an issue to date. I only did one cook with water. Nothing was wrong with it, but it is certainly easier on an overnighter to not worry about it.

When we move, I think I will sell my 18" for the 22". I think I get like 5 racks of ribs on a rib rack on top (the ends bent to fit) , and lay the 6th across the top of those. I have been using the 3-2-1 method for ribs.

Once, for an open house last summer, I had 6 butts on there, something like 46+ lbs. of pork. That sucker was FULL!

I am debating if I want to go with a temperature control system on my new one. Just set the temp and a fan controls the heat.

Brisket isn't one of those things you can cook by temp, but more of a "feel". I believe the preferred test is the "toothpick" or fork test. It has been a while since I did a brisket. I did a high heat one, like 6 hours, and didn't like it. I have been meaning to do an overnighter, but haven't yet. I will probably do a brisket over butts here soon.
Old 06-14-10, 09:34 AM   #34
DVD Talk Gold Edition

for those of you with the WSM, check out www.virtualweberbullet.com. Fired the smoker this weekend and did 2 racks of St Louis ribs using the 3-2-1 method (3 hours, then two hour wrapped in foil with a little apple juice, then a final hour to firm 'em up) Delicious!
Old 06-14-10, 10:02 AM   #35

Quote:
Well then...good to know!

Here is a look as I was pulling the pork...

I think you posted the wrong picture...
Old 06-14-10, 06:34 PM   #36
DVD Talk Legend

Be sure to check out smokingapig.com for all your gay police fetish needs!

I'm a creationist, I believe man created God. - Seen on a bumper sticker
Old 06-18-10, 05:31 PM   #37
DVD Talk Legend

Smoker recommendations? Brother-in-law has a cheap Brinkman (~$50 I think) that he said isn't particularly nice, but he has made some damn good ribs and salmon on it.

I don't really want to spend more than around $100 on the smoker itself.
Old 06-18-10, 05:52 PM   #38
DVD Talk Legend

Old 06-18-10, 06:32 PM   #39
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktick View Post
Smoker recommendations? Brother-in-law has a cheap Brinkman (~$50 I think) that he said isn't particularly nice, but he has made some damn good ribs and salmon on it.

i have a vertical brinkman smoker it was $80. it works fine for me and i think its pretty much the best you can do for under $100. you need to modify the charcoal pan though. if you get it i can tell you what to do or show you the vegetable grill pan that fits perfect and works as a better replacement.

edit to add links...
this is the smoker....http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

this is like the vegetable thing. well thats not the exact one. the one i have has holes in it instead and is a different brand. they sell it at home depot. but this ill give you an idea of what i mean...http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors/h_...atalogId=10053

basically you use that to hold the charcoal and wood chunks instead of the pan that it comes with. works great and the handles slide right into the original pan holder on the sides of the smoker.

Last edited by chino77; 06-18-10 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-18-10, 09:09 PM   #40
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

I got to tell you, I've suffered through a crappy smoker for 10 years and did my first cook out on my Weber last week and can't believe how stupid I was for playing with that crappy one all these years. Not only my time and effort, but the waisted charcoal/wood it took and took and took!

There are two huge problems with inefficient smokes, one they use a lot of fuel and two, they are so inefficient you have to baby sit them. You will end up having to check on them every hour or two, and continually add "just the right amount" of fuel. The reason they are inefficient is their design or how thin the materials they use are.

I know it is 2.5-3 X your budget. But you really should check out the Weber Smokey Mountain. Last weekend it held steady without adding fuel at all for 15 hours. I plan a brisket this weekend. And I'm going to try a new rub. Well same rub, but I instead of paprika I'm going either Ancho or Chipolte Chili Powder. Or maybe a mix of the two.

ooohhh...shinny!

Home Theater Build

Last edited by Sdallnct; 06-18-10 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-18-10, 09:29 PM   #41
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

I've got the Brinkman and it works just fine. Yes, you have to check it every hour or two, but that doesn't bother me too much (I like to feel like I'm smoking when I'm smoking ). Eventually I plan to upgrade, but for a starter I think it's just fine. I plan to do the mod chino pointed out, albeit manually.
Old 06-18-10, 11:02 PM   #42
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone try Bobby Flay's Brisket? I think I might go with it...

Smoked BBQ Brisket
Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay

Prep Time:10 minInactive Prep Time:--Cook Time:5 hr 0 min
Level:
Easy
Serves:
10 to 12 servings

Ingredients
1/2 cup ancho chili powder
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons cayenne
1 trimmed brisket with a layer of fat at least 1/4-inch thick, about 5 to 6 pounds
Dark Beer Mop, recipe follows
Directions
Mix together the spices in a small bowl. Rub the entire brisket with the spice mixture, place on a baking sheet, cover and let stand in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to 6 hours.

Prepare the smoker according to manufacturer's directions. Place the brisket in the smoker, fat side up and smoke for 4 to 5 hours or until extremely tender. Baste with the mop every 30 minutes.

Dark Beer Mop:

1 large red onion
4 cloves garlic
2 serrano chiles, chopped
4 bottles of dark beer
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 bay leaves
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan, season with salt and pepper and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.

Home Theater Build
Old 06-19-10, 07:42 AM   #43
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
I got to tell you, I've suffered through a crappy smoker for 10 years and did my first cook out on my Weber last week and can't believe how stupid I was for playing with that crappy one all these years. Not only my time and effort, but the waisted charcoal/wood it took and took and took!

There are two huge problems with inefficient smokes, one they use a lot of fuel and two, they are so inefficient you have to baby sit them. You will end up having to check on them every hour or two, and continually add "just the right amount" of fuel. The reason they are inefficient is their design or how thin the materials they use are.

I know it is 2.5-3 X your budget. But you really should check out the Weber Smokey Mountain. Last weekend it held steady without adding fuel at all for 15 hours. I plan a brisket this weekend. And I'm going to try a new rub. Well same rub, but I instead of paprika I'm going either Ancho or Chipolte Chili Powder. Or maybe a mix of the two.

ooohhh...shinny!

i would go with a mix of Ancho, Chipotle, and maybe a third (if you have it). Maybe go 3:1 ancho:chipotle. Paprika has little heat, especially compared to Chipotle.

I actually still use a bit of paprika for cheap color, and replaced my Chili powder with these Chile powders.
Old 06-19-10, 08:48 AM   #44
X
Administrator

Quote:
Anyone try Bobby Flay's Brisket? I think I might go with it...

Ingredients
1/2 cup ancho chili powder
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons cayenne
1 trimmed brisket with a layer of fat at least 1/4-inch thick, about 5 to 6 pounds
Dark Beer Mop, recipe follows
Directions
Mix together the spices in a small bowl. Rub the entire brisket with the spice mixture, place on a baking sheet, cover and let stand in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to 6 hours.
The one I used last week was similar.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons kosher or coarse salt
2 teaspoons coarse black pepper (use fresh cracked pepper)
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon oregano leaves (dried)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon granulated onion
2 tablespoons brown sugar
Directions
Mix ingredients together in bowl. Prepare meat by brushing the surface with oil before applying rub. Apply rub 2 to 4 hours before cooking. The rubbed meat can be refrigerated overnight, as this will increase the flavor slightly.

I thought the amount of rub was the bare minimum for a 6 pound brisket. You might want to use 1/2 again or double the quantities. I refrigerated overnight.

I started mopping half way through with a mixture of apple juice and apple cider vinegar.
Old 06-19-10, 08:49 AM   #45

Quote:

yep thats the main problem with mine. for a 4.5 hr smoke i go through almost 2 bags of charcoal. although i dont have to baby sit it. it keeps its temp pretty good. and like starman below said...i dont mind that. i got it to sit outside with and drink some beers while listening to the radio. so i didnt really want a set it and forget it smoker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
I've got the Brinkman and it works just fine. Yes, you have to check it every hour or two, but that doesn't bother me too much (I like to feel like I'm smoking when I'm smoking ). Eventually I plan to upgrade, but for a starter I think it's just fine. I plan to do the mod chino pointed out, albeit manually.
the mod does wonders supposedly. i never tried it without but its supposed to be a night and day difference.

if you dont have a good thermometer already this one is great. its pricey but worth it. it has high and low warnings and a wireless monitor.
http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Remot...6955219&sr=8-3
Old 06-19-10, 09:06 AM   #46
X
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino77 View Post
if you dont have a good thermometer already this one is great. its pricey but worth it. it has high and low warnings and a wireless monitor.
I have that monitor and found it didn't have much of a range. It has a hard time going through walls. I saw a test of monitors that eliminated it due to that factor.

The functionality is great, but as I used it the range kept getting smaller. Then one time when it accidentally got against the hot smoker for a while the range became about 2 feet and stayed that way. I'd like to find another one and I'd give up a lot of the functions just to get a reliable smoker temp at a reasonable distance.
Old 06-19-10, 09:24 AM   #47

Quote:
I have that monitor and found it didn't have much of a range. It has a hard time going through walls. I saw a test of monitors that eliminated it due to that factor.

The functionality is great, but as I used it the range kept getting smaller. Then one time when it accidentally got against the hot smoker for a while once the range became about 2 feet and stayed that way. I'd like to find another one and I'd give up a lot of the functions just to get a reliable smoker temp at a reasonable distance.
i havent used it indoors so it hasnt been an issue for me. i set it on my deck which is around the corner from where i smoke. works fine that way. i did a lot of research on a few smoking forums and that was always one of the most if not the most recommended. though i forgot about the range through walls. that was the one complaint. but since i havent used it like that it slipped my mind.
Old 06-19-10, 10:04 AM   #48
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
Makes overnight cooks difficult doesn't it? That was the problem with my previous smoker. If I didn't set my alarm to wake every 90 minutes, I ran the risk of the smoker going out or running to hot.

With the Weber, you don't HAVE to check it every hour or two. Doesn't mean you can't. In fact, I do. I often add wood or baste the meat. I'll also adjust vents as needed. This to me is "smoking". Having to be sure you put just the right amount of fuel in every 2 hours is not. And I can get 5-6 hours of sleep and not worry about it. And my old one really ate up the fuel. Luckily I could put small logs in it. But there trouble there was some could burn really hot, or they were old wood that burned fast, or so hard they would go out if I did have the vents just so, or if I didn't have charcoal burning with the wood.

Home Theater Build
Old 06-19-10, 10:06 AM   #49
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
The one I used last week was similar.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons kosher or coarse salt
2 teaspoons coarse black pepper (use fresh cracked pepper)
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon oregano leaves (dried)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon granulated onion
2 tablespoons brown sugar
Directions
Mix ingredients together in bowl. Prepare meat by brushing the surface with oil before applying rub. Apply rub 2 to 4 hours before cooking. The rubbed meat can be refrigerated overnight, as this will increase the flavor slightly.

I thought the amount of rub was the bare minimum for a 6 pound brisket. You might want to use 1/2 again or double the quantities. I refrigerated overnight.

I started mopping half way through with a mixture of apple juice and apple cider vinegar.
Interesting that about 1/2 the rubs have sugar and the other half don't. Looks good tho!

Home Theater Build
Old 06-19-10, 10:11 AM   #50
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino77 View Post
yep thats the main problem with mine. for a 4.5 hr smoke i go through almost 2 bags of charcoal. although i dont have to baby sit it. it keeps its temp pretty good. and like starman below said...i dont mind that. i got it to sit outside with and drink some beers while listening to the radio. so i didnt really want a set it and forget it smoker.

the mod does wonders supposedly. i never tried it without but its supposed to be a night and day difference.

4-5 hour smoke? What are you smoking for that short of time? Ribs maybe?

My two favorites are pulled pork (Pork Shoulder/Butt/Picnic/etc) and brisket. Those require a minimum of 10, 12 hours. Unless you want to do a short cut and cook 3/4 on the smoker and wrap in foil and finish in the oven. And nothing wrong with that. I've done it.

Last weeks pork (see pic) was a 15 hour cook. I wouldn't mind sitting outside for 4-5 hours drinking beer listening to a ball game. But it was a damn pain in the ass when I was timing a 12 hour cook to be ready for lunch or early dinner.

So now, if I put meat on at midnight, I can sleep 6-7 hours and then add wood chunks, turn and flip, mop, whatever every couple hours after that.

Home Theater Build