DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-08-10, 01:51 PM   #126
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The Running Thread (was Running is stupid and it hurts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
Here's the path I run on at least three times a week.
I love that photo. I could run forever on something like that. Parts of Atlanta have really great trails and if you go far enough back into the woods you really don't even realize you're in a big city.
Old 01-03-17, 10:56 AM   #127
DVD Talk Hero

Hi. If it's alright (and I assume it is), I'm going to spin off our running talk from The Biggest Loser 2016 thread into this old chestnut of a thread. I need to keep the running talk going into 2017 as I prepare for my first half-marathon.

Here is the conversation I've been having so far:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Did my last run of 2016 earlier today. An med-challenging 4 miles to break in some new shows (NB Fresh Zante V2).

That gives me right at the 1,081 miles for the year. Up from 1,005 from 2015. Pleased with that. Probably go for 1,150 for 2017.

Also got in 4 half marathons, 1 more than last year.

I have let weight lifting lapse. I need to refocus for 2017.

I started the year at 183 (-90 overall). Gained pretty much all year up to 197! Yikes! But now back to 190. First goal is get to 180 by my birthday (2/25). Then I'll look to see if and how much more to lose.

I also want to work in yoga and more stretching in my routines. And I'm going to to learn to squat if it kills me! Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Awesome.

I just did my final run of the year. Ended up tallying 1000 miles, 300 runs exactly (believe it or not). Had to run 108 miles in December to hit that magic number.
I just run 3-4 miles each time. Did one 10K. Hope to do my first Half-marathon in November.
Quote:
Great job!

I needed a 100 miles in Decemer to get to 1,100 and just didn't get there. Sent to work in small town in Florida. Nice weather, but longest running path I could find was 3.5 miles for an up and back of 7. When home I get in a 9.33 mile run around lake every weekend.

November? You doing the RnR Half in Vegas?
Quote:
Yup. Did the 10K (as far as I've ever run in one time) but knew I should have pushed myself a little and done the 1/2. Will train some in Summer/Fall 2017 with longer runs to get ready. Do you think a 10 mile run before the race should be my goal with training or do I really need to go all the way up to 12 miles?
Quote:
I'd would go 12.

I say that as the training plans I follow take you to 12. Also, I run 9.33 miles every weekend when home and still find it challenging to make the jump to a half. I always work up to 12 before a race. And still at times struggle.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51...training-guide

I'm bouncing between novice 2 and intermediate 1 right now. Typically I stick to 4 runs a week, but occasionally do 5. Also I've moved to 4-5 mile week day runs instead of 3-4.

It's good you ran the 10k in Vegas. The weather can be crazy. This past Nov was the most comfortable I've been in the 3 I've run. And was still 5 min slower than my goal.
Quote:
Thanks for the link. That's good information, in fact I might just buy his book.
Yes, the weather was GREAT for the 10K. Loved it. Ran 1:03 time, not real fast, but steady and in the top third of my age range, top 20% overall. As someone who always considered himself a slow runner, I was happy about that.

How are you supposed to run a 5K and a 10K on a given weekend? Are there races like that every weekend or does he expect you to travel? I probably can't do that just for training.
Quote:
Those are optional and can be worked in any given weekend. They are there, really, not for fitness level, but to get you comfortable with "the big day". Practicing fueling, what to wear, getting use to crowds, practicing your race stratagy, the excitement, etc.

I've run so many races now (mostly 5k's) I will do a race per the plan if I can, but I typically use my long runs on the weekend as my "dress rehearsal". For example, I use a running belt when I run a half (I don't for shorter races). So I pack it and wear it on my long runs, just like I plan to do for my half. I'll use the same fuel, shorts, shoes, socks, headphones, etc I plan to use during race. And the 2-3 long runs prior to race (which are 10, 11, 12 miles) I'll try different shirts, pullovers, jackets, running pants, etc so I'll know what can work on race day no matter weather.

The number one rule for equipment and stratagy on a half marathon or longer is, nothing new on race day. Don't do or use anything you haven't tried before. I can't stress enough how much the same minor annoyance when running 3 or 6 miles can cause sever issues when running 10+ miles.

If you've run races, you can get a feel for everything else on your own.

Also the races are to give a slight rest after continuous build up since the are less miles. That shouldn't be glossed over.

And that time in a 10k is great! I'm a slow runner and working on speed. I can hold 10/miles for 5 miles, but not 6. But I'm close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Did my first run (intervals) yesterday since my tendonitis got really bad 3 months ago. It didn't feel great at first, but it hurt less and less after each interval, and there's no pain this morning, so I think/hope I might be in the clear. I'll keep taking it slow, but I hope this means I'm back!

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 01-03-17, 10:58 AM   #128
DVD Talk Hero

BTW : I bought that Half-marathon training book by Hal Higdon for the Kindle. Hope to start reading it soon.

Old 01-03-17, 11:41 AM   #129
DVD Talk Legend

Which race is going to be your first Half?

I'm looking forward to this season. The big marathons for me are Berlin, Big Sur, Chicago (again), Disney (again), and Celebration. I'll probably end up doing Space Coast again in November but that will be the last time for awhile. Four years in a row is enough.

My goal for this season was to finish a 1:45 Half (my PR is 1:59) but after injuring my hip (tendinitis) at New York and going through PT, I don't think that's in the cards. The 10 pound holiday weight gain didn't help.

Anyone do tris? I've done a few sprints but I'm looking at an Olympic in April.
But there's still HOKEYBLOG!!!
Old 01-03-17, 11:50 AM   #130
DVD Talk Hero

Las Vegas Rock & Roll Half Marathon in November. Weather can be iffy. My friend ran it in 2015 in a cold, torrential downpour, but last November when I ran my first 10K, it was 50 and clear.

Old 01-03-17, 01:10 PM   #131
DVD Talk Legend

Nice

Hopefully they won't have a repeat of 2011 where bad water sent some runners to the hospital with stomach issues. I had friends run it last year and loved it, most people saying the half is awesome but the full is terrible. I'd like to do that one sometime.
Old 01-03-17, 01:24 PM   #132
DVD Talk Legend

I ran 10K for the first time yesterday.

I do nearly all my running on the local "rail trail". Lately I've been concentrating on improving my speed, but now that the trail is covered in snow and ice most of the time that's nearly impossible. Footing is so poor that it's difficult to get much speed without risking falling. So with my pace times shot to hell I found myself still feeling pretty fresh after my usual 4 mile run. Normally I would burn off that extra energy with some interval sprints towards the end, but since that's out I've been adding more distance depending on how I feel and the trail conditions. Yesterday was the first time I ran what I consider the "full trail", which is where the trail basically disappears while going through the downtown of the neighboring town. In total it was about 6.75 miles, so close to 11k. Pace wasn't that bad either considering the conditions.

I was kind of dreading winter running, but I find it's actually quite fun. The cold isn't much of an issue with basic gear and the changing conditions and footing at least keep things interesting. My DIY winter running shoes handle everything except glare ice pretty well.
Old 01-03-17, 03:52 PM   #133
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmansir View Post

I was kind of dreading winter running, but I find it's actually quite fun. The cold isn't much of an issue with basic gear and the changing conditions and footing at least keep things interesting. My DIY winter running shoes handle everything except glare ice pretty well.
I don't know how you all do it in that cold weather! I'm in Daytona Beach (originally from Miami) so running with "DIY winter running shoes" is completely foreign to me lol. I'm doing the Disney World Half Marathon this weekend and the temperature is calling for a perfect 64 degrees but apparently a cold front is coming through around that time so may be running in some rain. Still a few days out so forecast has time to change.
Old 01-03-17, 04:02 PM   #134
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit03 View Post
I don't know how you all do it in that cold weather! I'm in Daytona Beach (originally from Miami) so running with "DIY winter running shoes" is completely foreign to me lol. I'm doing the Disney World Half Marathon this weekend and the temperature is calling for a perfect 64 degrees but apparently a cold front is coming through around that time so may be running in some rain. Still a few days out so forecast has time to change.
Tell me about your training Bandit. I'm looking to all sources for this. Is this your first Half?

Old 01-04-17, 07:41 AM   #135

I am doing the Gasparilla Michelob Ultra Challenge this February. It is a 15K and 5K Saturday and 1/2 and 8K Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
I do. I have a busy year. Doing an Olympic in April, 1/2 Ironman in May and then Ironman Florida in November.

Can always come up and do the Olympic in April here (Panama City). It is a .7mile swim, 25 mile bike and 10K.
Old 01-04-17, 09:04 AM   #136
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Tell me about your training Bandit. I'm looking to all sources for this. Is this your first Half?
No this is my second half. My first one was last April. I did well but I know I slacked off on training and could tell once I got to mile 10 or so.

My training for this one has been pretty simple. I wake up before work (5:30 or so) on Tuesday/Wednesday - Friday and run 2-3 miles. Saturday is when I push myself and go for the longer runs. I would run a little further each weekend; increasing the distance .25 every weekend until I reached my goal (13 miles). Sunday through Monday/Tuesday are usually my rest days depending on how my legs feel that week.

The problem I had with my last half marathon were the cramps in my calves after mile 10 but like I said I didn't train nearly enough for that half. I feel like better prepared plus I started wearing compression around my calves which I feel make a huge difference.

What are everybody's opinion on hydration during the race? The Disney ones I do, give out Gatorade and water. Is one better than the other or a combo?
Old 01-04-17, 10:00 AM   #137
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cool thread and I think I'll participate off and on this year, though I doubt I'll run any organized races. I hadn't run regularly since high school (20 years ago), but decided to get back into it last year. Started with 1 - 1.5 mile runs in April at about an 11:30/mile pace. I've worked my way up to a mix of 2 miles at ~8:00/mile, 3-5 miles at ~8:45/mile and 6-8 miles at ~9:30/mile. Ended the year with 124 runs for a total distance of 364 miles. Targeting 250 runs for a total of 750 miles this year, though that may end up being too easy and I may readjust my goal mid-spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
Think those DIY snow running studs would be good on blacktop and concrete? Do they do any damage to your shoes over time? Nearly all of my running is on sidewalks and multi-use paved paths near my house. I took a pretty nasty dive on a patch of black ice last week and am now super paranoid about running while it's still dark out, which is pretty much the only time I can do it with my schedule.
Old 01-04-17, 03:21 PM   #138
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone on Garmin Connect? We could form an Otter Group there. You can find me under Hokeyboy.
Old 01-04-17, 03:25 PM   #139
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstang93 View Post
I am doing the Gasparilla Michelob Ultra Challenge this February. It is a 15K and 5K Saturday and 1/2 and 8K Sunday.

Can always come up and do the Olympic in April here (Panama City). It is a .7mile swim, 25 mile bike and 10K.
Been dying to do Gasparilla sometime. Maybe I'll join you up there. My big February races are usually Best Damn Race Safety Harbor Half Marathon and Publix Ft. Lauderdale Marathon. I'm ready to shake things up a bit.

That Olympic sounds promising. I can swim 2 miles and run a marathon, but my biking needs serious work. That will be my focus this year.

Speaking of which, if anyone in FL (or NOLA) wants to do a Best Damn Race in the upcoming months, I have a coupon code HOKEYRUN. $5 off your registration. And I make NO money or receive remuneration off this of any kind, so I'm not promoting anything untoward. http://bestdamnrace.com
Old 01-04-17, 04:15 PM   #140
DVD Talk Hero

What are people's thoughts on shoes?

I've been changing every 6 months, but now that I'm 24 miles/week, I think I need to swap them more frequently.
I have comically flat feet (grew up in HI in the 70s. Went to school barefoot until 4th grade -- seriously). I never really understood pronation talk. I run hard on my feet - think I should land on my heel but actually land flat most of the time. Used to get Plantar fasciitis from time to time, but not in the past few years.

I have only worn Asics for years -- they're way flatter than Nikes which I can't wear with their arch supports. For past few years I've been using Gel Nimbus which is an expensive shoe but gives me a lot of cushioning (I usually buy last year's model which brings the price down to about $100). Now I'm looking to try some Gel-Kayanos instead. Better for pronating runners, though I'm still not sure that's me.

Old 01-04-17, 05:31 PM   #141
DVD Talk Legend

Depending on the kind of your shoes you wear, and your feet of course, you should change shoes every 200-400 miles.

I've been using Kinvaras for several years. At the beginning, Kinavara 1, or Kinvara 2, they would feel great up until 300 miles. Then I couldn't handle them after 200 miles. Some versions I didn't even reach 200 miles before I replaced them.

But in my last Kinvaras, version 7, I have already passed 400 miles and they feel great. Last Saturday I ran 31 miles, that's when I crossed 400 miles, and they were comfy the whole way.
Old 01-04-17, 05:43 PM   #142
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
Depending on the kind of your shoes you wear, and your feet of course, you should change shoes every 200-400 miles.
I train in Asics Nimbus. I run in them until they are completely destroyed which takes probably 2K miles. I've never had a running injury. I have a neutral stride, a midfoot strike and very high arches. I'm not recommending this for other people but speaking for myself I see no need to swap shoes that frequently.
Old 01-04-17, 05:55 PM   #143
DVD Talk Hero

I pretty much buy whatever is on sale. New Balance, Asics, and Pima are my top faves. I used to be particular but now I've noticed most shoes fit the purpose. For specific and much longer runs, I'd go with a specific Asics Gel series or New Balance and then just use those shoes for that purpose while having another pair for basic runs.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 01-04-17, 06:18 PM   #144
DVD Talk Special Edition

Take a look at Brooks running shoes. I've been using them ever since I started running and absolutely love them. They're on the expensive side but like you, I buy last years model which brings the price down to a reasonable amount.
Old 01-04-17, 06:47 PM   #145

Don't waste the time of a your local running shop. If you try out shoes there, buy them there.
My related advice is to use an online store that allows returns. I only run on trails and my two local shops don't carry many, if any, trail shoes, so I am forced to to the online route. Many of the retailers allow returns for up to 30 days, even if used. I have had good luck with the Running Warehouse. Shoes are so different for each runner; they need to be ran in.

Currently, I am rotating between four pair of Pearl Izumis and two pair of Asics GT-2000 Trails. When you find a pair you like, buy multiples. They can be hard to keep finding as they change styles often, and each new version is often different enough to make it unusable.
Old 01-04-17, 06:48 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Which race is going to be your first Half?

I'm looking forward to this season. The big marathons for me are Berlin, Big Sur, Chicago (again), Disney (again), and Celebration. I'll probably end up doing Space Coast again in November but that will be the last time for awhile. Four years in a row is enough.

My goal for this season was to finish a 1:45 Half (my PR is 1:59) but after injuring my hip (tendinitis) at New York and going through PT, I don't think that's in the cards. The 10 pound holiday weight gain didn't help.

No. I still don't know how to swim correctly.
Old 01-04-17, 07:13 PM   #147
DVD Talk Legend

RE shoes: I replace around 300 miles, and go straight to Running Warehouse to buy last year's model in my size at about 60% off. I can't wrap my head around people paying full retail.

I used to be Hoka only, but I've switched to the Saucony Guide 9. Just as good support, less restrictive toe box, and a lighter feel.
Old 01-04-17, 07:19 PM   #148
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit03 View Post
Take a look at Brooks running shoes. I've been using them ever since I started running and absolutely love them. They're on the expensive side but like you, I buy last years model which brings the price down to a reasonable amount.
Okay, I found a pair of Brooks Ghost 8 like these

on sale at Amazon for $68. For that price (and with free Returns), I'll give them a try. I have those Ascics Kayanos also on the way, but they're $105, so if I like these better, back go the Kayanos.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Old 01-04-17, 08:01 PM   #149
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
Think those DIY snow running studs would be good on blacktop and concrete? Do they do any damage to your shoes over time? Nearly all of my running is on sidewalks and multi-use paved paths near my house. I took a pretty nasty dive on a patch of black ice last week and am now super paranoid about running while it's still dark out, which is pretty much the only time I can do it with my schedule.
They're OK on asphalt, although you do loose a bit of traction and they get worn down because even though they are metal it's a lot of weight/force on a small contact patch. The biggest downfall is traction on glare ice is basically the same as not having them at all. They're much better than regular shoes on ice with any type of texture, but they aren't spikes so they won't break into solid hard ice.

They don't appear to damage the shoe. I've put about 60 miles on mine and I've only lost one screw and I can't even see the hole where it was. That said, I used an old worn out pair since it was my first try.

However, I just used standard home depot 3/8 inch sheet metal screws. They cost me $2 for 24. Looking into it a bit more I'm probably going to buy some of these to either redo mine or for my next pair. They have 2 major advantages over regular screws: 1. They are hardened, so they should last longer. And 2: They have a sharper profile so they should bit ice better.
Old 01-04-17, 08:09 PM   #150
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Okay, I found a pair of Brooks Ghost 8 like these

on sale at Amazon for $68. For that price (and with free Returns), I'll give them a try. I have those Ascics Kayanos also on the way, but they're $105, so if I like these better, back go the Kayanos.

Thanks for the input, everyone.
Glad to hear! Be sure to let us know what you think