DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-26-10, 09:48 AM   #101
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Running Thread (was Running is stupid and it hurts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
How do you guys deal with illness? Do you run through it, or do you wait until you are relatively healthy? I am talking about bad colds, flu, strep throat, and the like.
I rest. I tried running a marathon after being really sick once, and it was bad. I had been in bed with flu-like stuff for a week and a half. I was feeling better, but still getting it over when I raced. Needless to say, I didn't finish, and it just made it longer before I felt good again.

It's not worth running through. Just rest. It won't take long to get your fitness back after you are well again.
Old 04-26-10, 09:30 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghym View Post
I rest. I tried running a marathon after being really sick once, and it was bad. I had been in bed with flu-like stuff for a week and a half. I was feeling better, but still getting it over when I raced. Needless to say, I didn't finish, and it just made it longer before I felt good again.

It's not worth running through. Just rest. It won't take long to get your fitness back after you are well again.
I'm sure you are right, and after coming down with pneumonia and a subsequent collapsed lung two years ago, I tend to be a bit gunshy. However, I asked because I hate having to take the time off, especially this time of year. But I did as most of you suggested and took a break this past week. Tomorrow will be test as I just started feeling better today. Maybe I'll do an easy 10k if the weather is nice.

And how long can you be off without really losing any fitness or distance?
Old 04-26-10, 09:34 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
I hear it can lead to respiratory illness, not sure how true that is. I've also heard that you can work through head colds but not chest colds. If I'm feeling like crap, I'll usually take a break. Once I start feeling a little better I've run and it actually helps me feel good.

I've ran a few times on the VFF. Different so far. I feel my feet a lot more during the runs. My ankles seem to hurt after running on them and that almost never happens with shoes.
Does it feel strange returning to your regular shoes?

I see the Vibram makes a trail version, so now I just have to pull the trigger. Do you recommend them?
Old 04-26-10, 10:01 PM   #104
DVD Talk Hero

While I want to try minimalist running, I don't think I am up for VFFs just yet. I also run at night alot so I need at least some amount of sole to protect my feet against things on the ground I won't be able to see and avoid. I currently run in standard Mizuno running shoes, which always fit me well.
Old 04-27-10, 08:12 AM   #105
DVD Talk Legend

Another minimalist shoe is the Inov8's... Website: http://www.inov-8.com/ Not as stark as VFF, but a better shoe than most, especially since Nike has stopped making the 3's and 5's.

"Fighting is the best thing a man can have in his soul."-Renzo Gracie
Old 04-27-10, 08:39 AM   #106
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Does it feel strange returning to your regular shoes?

I see the Vibram makes a trail version, so now I just have to pull the trigger. Do you recommend them?
The first run i did .25 in VFF and 7 in regular. The first few hundred feet in the regulars I was trying to run on the balls of my feet like VFF so that is probably good but ended up back to my regular stride.

Don't recommend them just yet. Haven't had enough time to evaluate. Did see they are coming out with a specialized running version soon. Looks like the sole has more grip and that is about it.
Old 04-27-10, 11:09 AM   #107
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
And how long can you be off without really losing any fitness or distance?
I think that all depends on how long you've been running and what mileage you are talking about.

If you are an experienced runner, I don't think a week or two is going kill your fitness too much. It might take a couple weeks to feel back to normal.
Old 04-27-10, 11:25 AM   #108
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I jog in a weird area about 10 miles from downtown Atlanta. After a few years of seeing some seriously odd people and things I decided to take some pix last week on a couple of runs. The lady below was actually jogging in that outfit.

Old 04-27-10, 11:30 AM   #109
DVD Talk Hero

Wherea re you running? The 2nd picture looks like MARTA tracks
Old 04-27-10, 11:44 AM   #110
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
Wherea re you running? The 2nd picture looks like MARTA tracks
Yeah, that's the MARTA line right next to their big facility off East Ponce just outside Decatur. Most of my running takes me through Clarkston, Scottdale and Avondale Estates (think of the area near the Dekalb Farmer's Market). I go from gorgeous new homes to old shacks on one run. Another puts me on Indian Trail road near where refugees settle. That's a fascinating jog.
Old 04-27-10, 12:06 PM   #111
DVD Talk Hero

Well, my knee officially hurts. It's scaring me a little bit. It didn't hurt while running yesterday, nor right after. But when I was swimming last night, every time I'd kick my leg downward, I'd get a sharp pain in my knee below the kneecap. Obviously I stopped right away. I fear I may have torn something on my runs without realizing it. They are only 20 minutes (including a warm-up and cool down walk) but I haven't run in years so I knew I was pushing things a little.

I need to take it easy for a bit. I'm stopping all runs for a week or so to let whatever it is heal a bit.

1) Should I still do a light bike ride (30 mins) every other day or cut out all leg action altogether?
2) Should I buy one of those knee brace things from the drug store, or are those worthless?
3) Is a week a good amount of time to rest it? It doesn't hurt on an ongoing basis. Only if I move it just wrong.
Old 04-27-10, 12:14 PM   #112
DVD Talk Hero

Ice it and take some ib profin (sp?) it keeps swelling down.

I had a knee brace (professional one from a friend that works at a manufacturing place) but I don't use it anymore. Doing IT band stretches help way more than the brace ever did.
Old 04-27-10, 12:35 PM   #113
DVD Talk Hero

Hmm... I read up on it. Looks like a good stretch. But the pain right now doesn't seem to be in the Iliotibial band from what I can tell. Took some ibuprofen though.
Old 04-27-10, 01:03 PM   #114
DVD Talk Hero

yeah, below the knee doesn't sound like IT band stuff
Old 05-01-10, 05:54 PM   #115
DVD Talk Hero

FWIW, I am not a fan of running on treadmills. However, I was recently at a facility on work travel that had several of these Woodway treadmills:

I found them much nicer to run on than your standard treadmill. They have a segmented running surface rather than one large belt. There is no slippage at all. So far, I have only ever seen these in this one place.
Old 05-01-10, 09:55 PM   #116
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Woodways are simply awesome. It's the only treadmill I really like at my health club and keeps me in shape when it's too icy to run outside. The motors on these things are tanks and they are much more comfortable to run on than any other treadmill. I looked them up, they're ridiculously expensive. I guess you get what you pay for.

Here's the path I run on at least three times a week. I've been running this exact stretch for years. I've ran on it many times in the dark, on icy winter days, on 95 degree summer days, with friends, with my kids etc, I know pretty much every tree at this point:

There's a bunch of great trails where I live, all are crushed limestone, like that one.

Last edited by Hiro11; 05-01-10 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-01-10, 10:00 PM   #117
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
Woodways are simply awesome. It's the only treadmill I really like at my health club and keeps me in shape when it's too icy to run outside. The motors on these things are tanks and they are much more comfortable to run on than any other treadmill. I looked them up, they're ridiculously expensive. I guess you get what you pay for.
Yeah, they look expensive. The place I ran on one bought 10 of the things since I was last there in '09.
Old 05-02-10, 01:13 PM   #118
DVD Talk Legend

Is it National Running Month or is that some gimmick by Dick's Sporting Goods?

Home Theater Build
Old 06-08-10, 08:17 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
Here's the path I run on at least three times a week. I've been running this exact stretch for years. I've ran on it many times in the dark, on icy winter days, on 95 degree summer days, with friends, with my kids etc, I know pretty much every tree at this point:
Looks like a great trail, I can see why you've stuck with it.

Just completed my first half-ironman on Sunday. Final time was 7:03 (yep, 7 hours..) My goal was simply finishing, so I couldn't have been happier, especially since I tweaked my foot playing softball about two weeks before the race..

The pro guy who finished second overall tweeted afterwards that his "body is completely destroyed. This was the hardest half in the world!" So that gives me confidence that I'll be able to handle pretty much anything from this point on.

Anyone else have any race/run reports?
Old 06-08-10, 09:44 AM   #120
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I did this a few weeks ago. http://www.warriordash.com/register2010_southeast.php My biggest problem with running is boredom, so this was a lot of fun.
Old 06-08-10, 10:21 AM   #121
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

I just started RUNNERS WORLD 8 week program and I love it

I run mostly in trails by my local park in the original Nike Free's (which I bought 5 years ago as a minimalist show for my honeymoon cruise.

No Ipod, no tracks, just me and the woods.

BTW, my inspiration was actually THIS:

Old 06-08-10, 10:27 AM   #122
DVD Talk Legend

I've been on a break for a week because I'm too busy but I just finished Week 5 of the C25K program on my iPhone. It's been great. I went from not being able to run for a minute without being winded to running for 20 minutes non-stop. And I've lost 15 pounds to boot. Highly recommended if you are just getting started.
Old 06-08-10, 11:26 AM   #123
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I f'ed up my hamstring about a month ago doing too much speedwork. I finally healed up just in time for a 10k I had been planning for this weekend. At the last possible second, I had a fairly scary health crisis pop up that prevented me from running the race. The "crisis" turned out to be nothing (lab error) and a complete waste of my time and health insurance. I had been targeting this race since the winter. Gah! Now I have to find another 10k in the next month or so. Luckly there's one about every weekend around here. Anyone have suggestions for a good Chicagoland 10k this summer?
Old 06-08-10, 11:44 AM   #124

I'm off to a great running season thus far (after a long winter on a treadmill 1-2x per week). Thus far, I've been alternating between the Minneapolis chain of lakes (4 lakes in the city at ~3mi per) 3-4 times per week.

Picked up some new running shoes over the weekend (Nike LunaRacer 2) and had my best run last night.
Old 06-08-10, 12:36 PM   #125
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenreich View Post
Anyone else have any race/run reports?
I ran the Euguene marathon about a month ago.

I wrote a detailed report that I posted to my Facebook wall, but the short version is that I PR'ed with a 3:17:57, but missed qualifying for Boston by 2 minutes, collapsed at the finish, and then was in the medical tent for 45 minutes. Not what I planned, but at least it made for an exciting race report!

It was a bad day. It was my 7th marathon, and I was prepared and felt awesome...until about a week before. Legs were kind of achy the week leading up to the race, but I figured it was just the tapering. I was on pace to finish in 3:10 until about mile 17, where my calves started to cramp, then at about mile 22 my vision got all blurry, I had trouble running straight, and I slowed way down. I had a goal of finishing in 3:10, so I was ahead of the 3:15 Boston qualifying time for my age, until about the last mile. 3:15 ticked by somewhere in the last .2 of the race. I can honestly say I left nothing on the course and I gave everything I had that day. It just wasn't my day. I know from my training, and other races, that I'm capable of much better.

Not sure why I was so dehydrated. Didn't really prepare any differently than normal. I'm thinking maybe I was slightly sick, had allergies, or something. That would probably explain the aching legs too. Oh well, so far Spring marathons haven't been great for me. My big PRs are usually in the fall. My running group is going back to Sacramento this December, and I had a great race there the last time. Our training just started back up this week. I took May off from training, so I'm ready to get going again.