Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-15-10, 06:51 AM   #26
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Running is stupid and it hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Yea, there is a movement that all these modern shoes that are supposed to correct things are what is the problem. A nice read is "Born to Run". I didn't find it life altering like some, but interesting.

Nike's line of "Free" shoes are close to barefoot running. Nike recommends them for occasional short runs to build up strength. Haven't tried them, some sear by them.
Old 04-15-10, 07:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Yea, there is a movement that all these modern shoes that are supposed to correct things are what is the problem. A nice read is "Born to Run". I didn't find it life altering like some, but interesting.

Nike's line of "Free" shoes are close to barefoot running. Nike recommends them for occasional short runs to build up strength. Haven't tried them, some sear by them.
"Born to Run" convert here. I picked up a pair of Vibram Five Fingers during the winter and switched to barefoot as soon as the snow melted. Couldn't be happier with my runs now; as long as you take the time to build up your mileage slowly (meaning don't go out and run 4mi barefoot your first time), you'll be fine.

The reason so many people have been raving about it is that your form changes while running barefoot. With shoes, I used to clunk around with my music blasting, jamming my heels into the ground with each step. And I wondered why I had lower back problems.

When BF, you automatically start taking shorter, quicker strides, landing midfoot rather than on your heel. I also ditched my headphones so I'm even more aware of my surroundings. I know I'm running properly when it feels like I'm floating by people as I pass them.

In conclusion: shorter strides, more conscious running, less impact. And no, haven't stepped on any glass, needles, poo, etc.

Last edited by eisenreich; 04-15-10 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-15-10, 07:55 AM   #28
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenreich View Post
"Born to Run" convert here. I picked up a pair of Vibram Five Fingers during the winter and switched to barefoot as soon as the snow melted. Couldn't be happier with my runs now; as long as you take the time to build up your mileage slowly (meaning don't go out and run 4mi barefoot your first time), you'll be fine.

The reason so many people have been raving about it is that your form changes while running barefoot. With shoes, I used to clunk around with my music blasting, jamming my heels into the ground with each step. And I wondered why I had lower back problems.

When BF, you automatically start taking shorter, quicker strides, landing midfoot rather than on your heel. I also ditched my headphones so I'm even more aware of my surroundings. I know I'm running properly when it feels like I'm floating by people as I pass them.

In conclusion: shorter strides, more concious running, less impact. And no, haven't stepped on any glass, needles, poo, etc.
Pretty much same story from me (although I got the VFF's, then read Born to Run). My only problem, decided to add too much mileage too fast and ended up with a stress fracture, ugh.

For those wondering, here's a pic of them:
Old 04-15-10, 08:38 AM   #29
DVD Talk Legend

Look up Chi-running and pose running... No pain at all now that I use the "pose" style of running and use Nike Free 3.0. I also dont do a lot of LSD type of running anymore either. Nike has stopped making the 3's and 5s which really piss me off, but oh well. I just cant quite do the VFF's for a number of reasons.

"Fighting is the best thing a man can have in his soul."-Renzo Gracie
Old 04-15-10, 08:49 AM   #30
DVD Talk Hero

What the recommended mileage ramp up with BF or VFF?
Old 04-15-10, 08:55 AM   #31
DVD Talk Hero

By the way, do yall recommend the classic or the KSO FF?
Old 04-15-10, 09:06 AM   #32
DVD Talk Hero

Barefoot. An interesting option. When I went running yesterday it was pretty cold, so I imagine the ground would be even colder. I might try it for giggles at some point... I'm trying to get my workout in every other day before the wife and kid wake up, which means there's barely any light out this time of year. Maybe it will get easier in the summer.

This was my first run over a mile in maybe 10 years I'm guessing, on the ground. I did a treadmill phase maybe 3 years ago that didn't last. This is definitely a little rougher on the body than a treadmill.

I'm way sore today, much more than yesterday. But so far it feels like a "good sore" and not that I really did any damage. It's amazing the muscles you find out you've been neglecting.

I started the week on a bike machine just for cardio. That was much, much less intense than running. I think I will alternative days on the bike with a run early on so I don't injure myself. Hopefully I can get some strength stuff in on the off days.

This barefoot thing I'll have to read up on.
Old 04-15-10, 09:21 AM   #33
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
I started running last year. I was exactly like you and never thought I'd ever run. I still can't say I enjoy running, but LOVE the way it makes me feel. Before running I did a lot of elliptical and I can tell you running is totally different and lots harder.

If you really want to try running, do the C25K plan. It take you from couch to 5k in 9 weeks. It is a great program, helps keep your focus, is challenging (assuming your not a runner), easy and free (see Google). Tho you can also get an app for your iPhone or Touch that is even better as it gives you verbal promps while you listen to music. Highly, HIGHLY recommended.
Ooh, I might even pay for that App. I really need to get back into working out.
Old 04-15-10, 09:22 AM   #34
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
By the way, do yall recommend the classic or the KSO FF?
I've got the KSO's and love them. If you're going to do any kind of trail running, you probably want to go that route because the main complaint about the classics is that they let "stuff" get into the shoes.

As for mileage, go much, much slower than you think you need to. Probably start with walking a quarter mile or so, build up to running a quarter to half mile, then slowly add mileage to your runs. I've heard of people setting shoes out during some of their runs to swap out in order to get their mileage in.

Remember, you're retraining your feet and using muscles and tendons that normally don't get much of a workout; you're also going to have to learn a new gait, as you can't run with the same stride length barefoot (or VFFed up) that you could in normal running shoes). It's really easy to pull something or, like me, give yourself a stress fracture if you ramp things up too much too fast.
Old 04-15-10, 09:24 AM   #35
DVD Talk Hero

1/4 - 1/2 mile? Wow, I was thinking 1 or 2 to start. Heh.

How fast did you up your miles?
Old 04-15-10, 09:34 AM   #36
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I started out just walking in them, upped it to running about a 1/4 mile for a about a week, then jumped into running a mile to a mile and a half at a time. Within a month or so, I was doing 4 miles (should have gone slower) which is when I got the stress fracture. The real issue for me was that running felt so easy in them, that I felt no issues upping my miles.

Should get the boot off next week, going to try a reset and stick to real low mileage once I get back to running. Hoping to do a 5K with the summer, then work my way up to a 10k by year's end.
Old 04-15-10, 09:40 AM   #37
DVD Talk Legend

Where the hell do you safely run barefoot? I would get home with glass shards and a cigarette butt stuck to my feet if I were to try this. Stuff touching the bottoms of my feet is a sensation that I do not like ar all.
Old 04-15-10, 09:45 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
I've got the KSO's and love them. If you're going to do any kind of trail running, you probably want to go that route because the main complaint about the classics is that they let "stuff" get into the shoes.
Agree with everything here. I have the black KSOs (Keeps Stuff Out) and haven't had any problems with them. Plus they're fun to wear around because of the reactions you get while you're out.

1/4 to 1/2 mile would be a good starting point. If you're logging a lot more weekly miles than that (as I was), you can switch back to regular shoes to get your distance in. As the TheDude said, doing too much, too soon is an easy way to hurt yourself. TMTS is a common expression from the BF forum I read, since runners tend to be stubborn and think they can just push through it.

You can feel free to up your mileage depending on how you feel the next morning. If you have radiating pain in the top of your foot or in your calves (common), either back off or maintain that distance until those muscles develop.

Less of an issue with Vibrams, but if you do decide to go barefoot, remember to lift those feet! I was running through the cobbled brick sidewalk in Georgetown awhile back when I turned my head to watch a girl across the street, bashed my foot against a protruding brick, and took a nice chunk off the sole of my foot..

Other lessons, don't push off of your toes as you do wearing shoes, you'll quickly develop blisters. Instead, run with bent knees and lift your whole foot up each step towards your butt. Will hopefully save you a lot of blisters along the way.

Last edited by eisenreich; 04-15-10 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-15-10, 10:01 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
Where the hell do you safely run barefoot? I would get home with glass shards and a cigarette butt stuck to my feet if I were to try this. Stuff touching the bottoms of my feet is a sensation that I do not like ar all.
There are a lot of nice trails in northern VA, but I've also run all through DC barefoot.

On the rare occasion I do see some glass or debris, it's easy to avoid it. Since making the switch I've become a much more conscious runner, which is a good thing since I was nearly nailed crossing the street a few years ago while wearing headphones..

It's not for everyone, but I like the feeling; it's like a foot massage
Old 04-15-10, 10:51 AM   #40
DVD Talk Hero

I worry as much about the skin on my feet as the internals. I'd imagine running barefoot turns them into tough leather pretty quickly? Not necessarily a bad thing, but my feet are already fairly dry and crack on occasion. The tougher, calloused parts hurt like a mother when they crack. I would think I'd experience this more, particularly on the heel and whatever that pad is behind your big toe. Maybe it would be the opposite, however.

The biggest problem with shoeless running I think would be the urge to step it up and run naked.
Old 04-15-10, 06:46 PM   #41
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks to this thread, I'm on a hunt for VFF KSO shoes...but I can't find anywhere that has my size in stock.
Old 04-15-10, 09:30 PM   #42
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not sure I buy the barefoot running craze, the risks and limitations seem to outweigh the somewhat dubious benefits. To each their own. I do like running barefoot on golf courses, something my running club does for speedwork training. Taking off the shoes definitely builds calf and foot strength...
Old 04-15-10, 09:48 PM   #43
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I don't think I'll be doing barefoot running in my neighborhood. Lots of broken glass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
Well, they kiss where they think that Jesus was born. They kiss the little catholic cracker. They worship Mary.....
Old 04-16-10, 02:33 AM   #44
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
Yeah I don't think I'll be doing barefoot running in my neighborhood. Lots of broken glass
If I were to do that, I'd look for a gym with an indoor track. My old college had one.
Old 04-16-10, 06:12 AM   #45

Roads
Old 04-16-10, 10:58 AM   #46
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love running. I didn't used to like it, but a friend got me to do some races about 6 years ago. Now I'm getting ready to run my 7th marathon in a few weeks, and hoping to qualify for Boston. I can't stand treadmills though. I pretty much run 100% on roads and trails.

If you're hurting, you might try strength training or different shoes. When I first started running years ago, I was in the wrong shoes, and kept getting shin splints. I finally went to a good running store and got fitted for the right kind. I also make sure to get to the gym and work out my legs. I haven't had any running injuries in years, and I've been running 50-60, sometimes 70, miles a week for a few years now. Usually, if something starts to hurt, it's time for me to buy new shoes.

I'm thinking about trying out some running flats or something this summer though, since I'm taking a break from marathon training and will be doing less mileage. There are a number of guys in my running group that love running in them. I'm also thinking of doing some trail running to mix it up.
Old 04-16-10, 12:02 PM   #47
DVD Talk Legend

Running is terrible for you. I switched to swimming. Very low impact.
Old 04-16-10, 01:46 PM   #48
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Started running seriously this past January when the new girlfriend invited me to train for a 12K with her. Had never run more than 3 miles but am now consistently running between 5 and 7. Agree with all the treadmill hate. That's all I used to do until we started hitting routes in the neighborhoods and local canyons. Love running outdoors now.

(Anyone else doing Bay to Breakers in SF in May?)
Old 04-16-10, 02:53 PM   #49
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Running is terrible for you. I switched to swimming. Very low impact.
Urban myth...

Home Theater Build
Old 04-16-10, 03:09 PM   #50
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Urban myth...
No, it applies to running outside of cities too.