Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-02-10, 06:49 PM   #1
Duh Vuh Duh
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why do people still write checks?

Been meaning to start this thread for a while, but the nice debate in the bad customer service theater thread, finally brought it to fruition.

I'm not talking about the occasional check for a random bill that you need to mail, I mean I still have to write a check for my hockey league fees and have even asked the manager about setting up a paypal account.

I mean the people that write checks at big chains stores, paying for groceries, etc. I typically see people writing checks at Walmart and Big Lots of the stores I frequent, so that may have something to do with it, but sometimes I honestly want to ask them why they are writing a check, but feel it would be rude.

I tried mildly successfully to hijack this thread:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...kill-them.html

And got a few ranging answers:
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
my dad still insists on using checks. he doesn't need to float money or anything, just for some reason likes to write checks. i try to tell him otherwise, but nope, he still insists on doing it. btw, what's annoying is you can't get a refund until 15 days later when writing a check. i don't blame them, of course, but this has happened to my dad several times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdodd View Post
I'll write a check at the grocery store to float the funds for a couple days, the money doesn't come out directly, whatever that means. It takes a couple days for the funds to clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meglos View Post
I use my debit card when I'm at the grocery store, but in all other cases (retail stores like Best Buy and Borders) I write a check because I don't have a credit card. Out of consideration for anyone else in line, I'll try to fill in as much info as possible (name, date, what store I'm at) before actually stepping in line.

I remember getting an overexaggerated sigh from someone right behind me once she noticed the checkbook, and I have to say that sort of condescension made me want to bitchslap her...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
So why don't you use your debit card there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meglos View Post
Um...I didn't know I could?
My assumption was people only used them for "floating" money, like writing a check on Wednesday and hoping it doesn't clear until they get paid on Friday or because people wanted an easy way to always use their check register. I've heard the not wanting to borrow money thing as well, but with debit cards coming straight from your account I don't get that one either.

So, I'm honestly curious, why do you or other you know still use checks? Any good stories of people writing checks? Discuss.

Well I didn't taste any poop. Normal tasting butt. - mhg83
Old 03-02-10, 06:50 PM   #2
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Re: Why do people still write checks?

They're probably older and do it out of habit.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 03-02-10, 06:52 PM   #3
Jason
DVD Talk Legend

I was behind a woman at Sams this weekend who couldn't get her card to work for whatever odd reason, so she rummaged around through her purse and eventually found her checkbook. Not sure what the problem was. Looked like she had enough money to pay her bills, and while she was older, she looked smart enough to operate the credit card machine.

So to answer your question, I don't know
Old 03-02-10, 06:54 PM   #4
squidget
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
They're probably older and do it out of habit.
What he said. Also there are still quite a few places (hello DMV and TX water company) that do not take credit or debit.

I'm still my first checkbook out of 10 that I received from my bank when I opened my account.
Old 03-02-10, 06:57 PM   #5
So_Cal_SAHM

The majority of checks that I've seen being written are company checks. Employees purchasing things for the company that they don't want to have to expense after using their personal credit cards for.

But I do agree. In my personal life I do not write checks, I just my debit card for 90% of my purchases.
Old 03-02-10, 06:57 PM   #6
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

To piss you off. It's nice to see that it's working.

http://savejace.info/
Old 03-02-10, 06:58 PM   #7
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

My first thread here at DVD Talk was about this very subject. You can see that things haven't changed much in ten years.
Old 03-02-10, 07:01 PM   #8
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
This is actually my honest evaluation. People either do it because they are old luddites, or because they thrive on the negative attention. It's a power trip, performed by people who have little power elsewhere in their lives. And they probably don't even realize (except for Thor) that is the reason they do it.
Old 03-02-10, 07:05 PM   #9
Groucho

I have family in Prague and their email is sketchy there at best. So sometimes it's better just to send an old fashioned letter.

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 03-02-10, 07:14 PM   #10
Drexl
DVD Talk Legend

I think for some people, it helps them to have a written record of what they're spending. With a credit card, it's easy to overdo it, and there's no record unless they can keep the receipts together in one place. A check gives them a handy record of the transaction, with the copy of the check that stays in that book.
Old 03-02-10, 07:58 PM   #11
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
I think for some people, it helps them to have a written record of what they're spending. With a credit card, it's easy to overdo it, and there's no record unless they can keep the receipts together in one place. A check gives them a handy record of the transaction, with the copy of the check that stays in that book.
Actually, I find that it's pretty easy to keep track of your spending with credit cards, much easier than cash. But then again, I wouldn't expect people who only use checks to be computer-savvy enough to check their accounts online, so point taken.
Old 03-02-10, 08:00 PM   #12
Groucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
mint.com

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 03-02-10, 08:19 PM   #13
wishbone
DVD Talk Legend

I wish I could have written checks for groceries in college -- with no checking account, credit card, or debit card (they did not exist at the time) I paid in cash and hoped I had enough for payment.

It is nice using a debit or credit card now.
Old 03-02-10, 08:24 PM   #14
JP5683
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a checking account, but never use checks.

My parents have a checking account, they finally set up a bunch of auto debits, but I mailed 8 checks for them today...

Some people never change.
Old 03-02-10, 08:26 PM   #15
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was supposed to be dangerous to use a Debit card?
Old 03-02-10, 08:31 PM   #16
mndtrp
DVD Talk Legend

Generally, the people I hear still using checks don't feel comfortable with the internet and security. It makes very little sense, but they feel safer using checks.
Old 03-02-10, 09:08 PM   #17
tbone

Being that I work at a bank, I would say most check writers are past 40 and just stuck in there old ways.
Old 03-02-10, 09:09 PM   #18
movie diva
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
What he said, sometimes I just want to write a check. I'm sorry that you are in such a hurry, stop and smell the ink.
Silence is golden; duct tape is silver. -Kittydreamer
Old 03-02-10, 09:37 PM   #19
Quake1028
DVD Talk Hero

We write one check a month now, for rent. Everything else is Bill Pay or debit.
Old 03-02-10, 09:41 PM   #20
FiveO
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I takes me several months to go through a pack of 25 checks nowadays.

I do pay my cable (only because the office is about 1 mile from my house and I hit it on the way to work), garbage and water bill to the city by check. Not much else.
Old 03-02-10, 09:42 PM   #21
dtcarson
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I rarely carry cash.

Sometimes to float (although with Check 21, doesn't work so much anymore.)

Sometimes for tracking - my wife has a debit card, I have a Paypal debit card, which earns me 1.5% cashback, but until recently, if I charged 10.00, it would apply that 1.5% to the next time I used it, so it was usually difficult to reconcile. They've changed it now so the cashback is deposited once per month, so that's easier as well.

Some places don't take plastic - I need to recharter my son into his Scout troop, and they don't take plastic.

Some places take plastic, but you're stupid if you use it - I can add money to my son's lunch account online at any time, for the bargain price of 3.00 PER TRANSACTION - or I can send a check in with him for free.

And plastic is too easy sometimes - writing a check takes energy and planning (pen, checkbook) and hopefully can help in making you think about your spending.

Debit cards, which all you cool young kids apparently think is the bee's knees, are about the worst possible way to spend money. All the risks, very few of the benefits. (That said, again, we do have a debit card and my Paypal debit card, but that's because we don't use credit cards anymore.)

Now, however, that I know it pisses people off and helps them to stereotype and wish death upon people, I will be sure to write checks more. Because I can. Don't worry, it won't be too long before Logan's Run type death panels eliminate everyone above "too old" which of course can be changed at any given time.
Old 03-02-10, 10:47 PM   #22
ben12
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you need to "float" some money, wouldn't it make more sense to use a credit card? Isn't that supposed to be the point of a credit card?

Read Poop Office at http://nakedgrapecomics.com
Old 03-03-10, 12:18 AM   #23
Troy Stiffler
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Phoenix, AZ, Passively angry as heck but gosh darn I'll sit back and take it you know, whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
If you need to "float" some money, wouldn't it make more sense to use a credit card? Isn't that supposed to be the point of a credit card?
What do you mean, "float"? I'm actually supposed to repay?
Old 03-03-10, 12:51 AM   #24
Nugent
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
It would probably surprise you at how many people have crap credit and can't even get a credit card.
Old 03-03-10, 12:51 AM   #25
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Being that I work at a bank, I would say most check writers are past 40 and just stuck in there old ways.
Don't you get stuck there.