Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-22-10, 04:11 PM   #1
RunBandoRun
Needs to contact Admin about multiple accounts

Location: Formerly know as"Vibiana"/Living in a van down by the river
Betty Broderick denied parole for killing her ex-husband and his trophy wife

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/01...iref=allsearch

(CNN) -- Elisabeth "Betty" Broderick, the once socially prominent lawyer's wife who fatally shot her ex-husband and his new wife in bed in 1989, has been denied parole.

When Broderick's husband of 16 years dumped her for his young legal assistant, she seethed with a white-hot fury.

She was one angry Betty, as a California writer, a long-time Broderick watcher, recently observed.

She still is, the California parole board concluded Thursday after hearing Broderick's rambling statement in which she continued to blame her actions on her husband's extramarital affair and their bitter divorce.

"I allowed the voices in my head to completely take over," Broderick told the parole board. "I took the lives of two wonderful people who were loved by many."

Yet when pressed for details on her actions, Broderick repeated what she said during her trials: "Linda came at me and the gun went off."

"She was totally not remorseful, didn't even try," Sachs said. Broderick won't be eligible for another parole hearing for 15 years -- the maximum time the law allows.

It was the latest chapter in a marriage that went off the rails because of a wife's bitterness over a straying husband's office romance.

After Broderick's husband, Dan, left her for his legal assistant, she covered the interior walls of his house with black spray-paint and drove her car through his front door. She left angry, obscenity-laced tirades on his answering machine. Then she crept into his bedroom early on a Sunday morning and shot him and the other woman, by then his wife, to death.

When she was arrested and tried in the early 1990s, Broderick said she was the victim, telling a tale that resonated with many housewives who feared being replaced by younger women. Court-watchers broke into two camps, known as Betty-boosters and Betty-bashers.

Now 62, Betty Broderick has been in prison longer than she was Mrs. Daniel Broderick. Her failed bid for parole brought back a strong emotions over a case that spawned several books and two made-for-TV movies starring Meredith Baxter, the mom from the hit series "Family Ties."

It was the first time she had become eligible for release for the 1989 murders of Harvard-educated San Diego attorney Daniel T. Broderick, 44, and his wife of seven months, Linda Kolkena Broderick, 28.

Dan and Linda Broderick's friends and family were out in force to voice their opposition. The Broericks' four children remain divided over whether she should go free.

Dan Broderick's brother, Larry, said Betty Broderick's sob story portraying herself as the victim was a tissue of lies. He told CNN she made up stories about her ex-husband and his new wife during her two trials in the early 1990s.

The story Betty Broderick told was so compelling it took on a life of its own. It apparently did withstand the test of time as she went before the parole board. Hindsight tends to paint a sharper -- and harsher -- picture.

Betty's version: She was a stay-at-home mom who worked to put her husband through medical and law school only to lose her "Ward and June Cleaver" marriage when her husband fell under a younger woman's spell.

Larry Broderick's story: No, she did not put her husband through school. No, they did not have an idyllic marriage. "Normal people just don't seem to get that murderers will lie to save their skin," he told CNN. "And, did you know that dead people have no rights? A person can slander and libel and say anything they want about a dead person, and you can't stop it."

"What the public sees is the older woman dumped for the younger woman, and they get upset about that and forget all the rest," Sachs said.

These facts were never in dispute:

During a bitter and protracted divorce, Daniel Broderick won full custody of their children and married Linda Kolkena in April 1989.

Seven months later, armed with a .38-caliber pistol, Betty Broderick walked into the couple's bedroom and fired five times. Linda Broderick died instantly. Dan Broderick was shot in the chest and died more slowly as his lungs filled up with blood. Betty Broderick ripped the telephone extension from the wall so he could not call for help, according to testimony.

Asked at Thursday's hearing why she didn't commit suicide, as she said she'd planned to, Broderick responded, "I didn't have any bullets."

Other facts seemed to have been lost in the drama. Broderick had bought the gun a month before her husband remarried. She practiced shooting. She made threats. And, she took her daughter's key to sneak into a house that, under a restraining order, she was forbidden to enter, according to testimony.

Two murder trials -- the first ended in a hung jury -- focused on Betty Broderick's state of mind. The courtroom drama was a wronged woman's dream.

According to testimony, Broderick long suspected her husband was having an affair, which she confirmed when she tried to surprise him at the office on his birthday and learned he'd spent much of the day with his legal assistant. In a rage, she threw his clothes into the yard, doused them in gasoline and set them ablaze.

She said Dan Broderick abused her and then used his legal connections to crush her as their marriage broke up.

"The family hates these lies because Dan was about as honorable and wonderful a guy as you would want to meet," said his brother Larry. "There are hundreds of people out there who feel the same way about him. All he wanted to do was get away from this woman."

A former president of the San Diego Bar Association, Dan Broderick was so well regarded in the legal community that the library of the Bar Association building was re-named the Broderick room after his death.

Betty Broderick's diaries were read in court, and Dan's answering machine tapes were played -- including one in which their son pleaded with his mother to stop using "bad words" about his father. The couple's oldest daughter, Kimberly, testified that her mother told her she hated the girl's father and wished the children had never been born.

Betty Broderick alleged that her ex-husband penalized her for her outbursts, deducting hundreds of dollars from support payments. She said he used a little-known legal clause to sell her house without her signature.

"Any time you've got these things going on, people are not at their best, honestly," prosecutor Sachs said. But he said he believes Betty Broderick turned to violence because she just couldn't get over it.

"The part that nobody sees is it was already five years later on the timeline," Sachs said. "She's getting 16 grand a month and a nice house in La Jolla, and it's time to move on."

She testified at her 1990 murder trial that she only wanted to talk to her ex-husband and then "splash my brains all over his house," but fired at the couple because she feared they'd call the police.

"They moved, I moved and it was all over," she testified, according to news accounts of the trial.

Mental health experts for the defense said Broderick was depressed; prosecution experts said she was a narcissist.

Broderick's retrial, among the first cases carried on Court TV, resulted in guilty verdicts on two counts of second-degree murder. It was a compromise verdict because jurors couldn't agree that the killings were premeditated.

In several media interviews after the trials, Broderick continued to portray herself as the victim. "It wasn't like I planned to kill somebody and now I'm sorry," she told the Los Angeles Times after her conviction in 1991.

Broderick received consecutive sentences of 15-years to life in prison, with an additional two years for a gun conviction. CNN attempted to reach Broderick through her supporters but she did not respond.

Bella Stumbo wrote a great book on this case called "Until the Twelfth of Never." After reading it, I am convinced that Betty should never have served a day in prison. It wasn't particularly sympathetic to either side--it was increbidly balanced and fair, unlike the other books written and the two Lifetime movies which were made and amounted to posthumous valentines to Dan and Linda.

Ordinarily, I would say keep her in jail, but I think she should never have gone there in the first place.

I'm just sayin'.
Old 01-22-10, 04:30 PM   #2
Tommy Ceez
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Re: Betty Broderick denied parole for killing her ex-husband and his trophy wife

What exactly about the book lead you to believe this because everything in this story screams throw away the key
Old 01-22-10, 04:33 PM   #3
arminius
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Betty Broderick denied parole for killing her ex-husband and his trophy wife

They should give her a revolver with one bullet.
Old 01-22-10, 05:15 PM   #4
tasha99
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez View Post
What exactly about the book lead you to believe this because everything in this story screams throw away the key
That's what I'm thinking, too.
Old 01-22-10, 05:31 PM   #5
RunBandoRun

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3JUD8OT1M3L1F

This review of the book I referenced perfectly expresses my own feelings on the case. And no, I didn't write it.

Dan lied about his cheating, used his connections to rig the legal system against Betty when he decided to dump her, and then let his new honey harass her and encouraged his children to side with him. He was sleaze. And Linda was a cheap homewrecker. Sorry, it's how I feel.
Old 01-22-10, 05:43 PM   #6
WallyOPD
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post

This review of the book I referenced perfectly expresses my own feelings on the case. And no, I didn't write it.

Dan lied about his cheating, used his connections to rig the legal system against Betty when he decided to dump her, and then let his new honey harass her and encouraged his children to side with him. He was sleaze. And Linda was a cheap homewrecker. Sorry, it's how I feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the review
You walk away from reading this book feeling that indeed Betty deserved what she got. In fact, 15 years for each murder is very lenient. I truly hope she is not paroled in 2011.
I don't see how you could feel that sneaking into someone's home (which was also a violation of a restraining order) with a loaded weapon and then shooting two people doesn't warrant even a single day of prison time, regardless of what may have driven her to it.
Old 01-22-10, 05:54 PM   #7
tasha99

Quote:

There is never any sympathy for the other woman, it seems, even if she gets shot to death. I personally hate the term "homewrecker" because it implies it was all her fault. It really takes three people at the most, and two people at the least, to ruin a marriage in that way.

Last edited by tasha99; 01-22-10 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-22-10, 06:03 PM   #8
RunBandoRun

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
I don't see how you could feel that sneaking into someone's home (which was also a violation of a restraining order) with a loaded weapon and then shooting two people doesn't warrant even a single day of prison time, regardless of what may have driven her to it.
You're right; I don't believe it doesn't warrant even a single day in prison. My emotions about this case get the better of me sometimes. However, I do feel that even if Betty has to stay in prison--which, owing to Dan's legal connections, will probably be where she dies--it was still worth it.
Old 01-22-10, 09:20 PM   #9
Tommy Ceez
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Quote:
So they deserved to be murdered in their sleep?!?!?!!?
Old 01-22-10, 09:31 PM   #10
zombeaner

They weren't sleeping
Old 01-22-10, 11:00 PM   #11
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

Let the punishment fit the crime. If your husband cheats on you, go fuck his golfing buddy, then get a divorce. There isn't the smallest possible justification for murdering two people because of such a thing.

Women.
Old 01-22-10, 11:01 PM   #12
glassdragon
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Geez, I'm sorry, but i can't believe that you believe that she should not have gone to jail for murdering them. For such a stupid reason too. No one deserves do die for such a stupid reason. She should have moved the fuck on like normal people do. Only crazy people turn to murder when something like this happens. I hope the loon is in prison until she dies of old age.

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Psn - glsdragon
Old 01-22-10, 11:06 PM   #13
RForte1189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Let the punishment fit the crime. If your husband cheats on you, go fuck his golfing buddy, then get a divorce. There isn't the smallest possible justification for murdering two people because of such a thing.

Women.
qft
Old 01-22-10, 11:34 PM   #14
cungar
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by arminius View Post
They should give her a revolver with one bullet.
Old 01-23-10, 04:41 AM   #15
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

I guess Vib thinks most women in this country deserve to be murdered by their ex-husbands then.

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 01-23-10, 07:09 AM   #16
Nick Danger
DVD Talk Legend

Who?

I guess I wasn't keeping up with my Murder of the Month tabloid stories in the early 1990s.

Vibs:
Last night I part a part of a television program where they showed police videos. One episode showed a guy hiring a hitman (who was an undercover cop) to murder his ex-wife and her husband in their bed. For some reason, the program made him out to be a bad guy, although I'm sure he was equally as justified as Betty Wozzername.
Old 01-23-10, 07:15 AM   #17
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

The 'Law & Order' episode about the case of this murdering bitch was pretty good.

At the end, after she was found guilty, she was in cuffs talking to the press about she was the victim, the DA joked if anyone would be stupid enough to believe her and chuckled about how she must be hoping it might help her on appeal.

Luckily the parole board saw her for what she is.

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 01-23-10, 07:44 AM   #18
crazyronin
DVD Talk Legend

She should just kill herself in prison. That should teach the bitch that got her into all this trouble.
Old 01-23-10, 07:58 AM   #19
Rockmjd23
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
But but Meredith Baxter played her in the movies so she must be a good person!
Old 01-23-10, 09:14 AM   #20
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
You're right; I don't believe it doesn't warrant even a single day in prison. My emotions about this case get the better of me sometimes. However, I do feel that even if Betty has to stay in prison--which, owing to Dan's legal connections, will probably be where she dies--it was still worth it.
Well don't know about "Dan's legal connections". We have seen it time and time again. When a person comes up for a hearing the board wants to hear the person say "it was all my fault" and "I deeply, deeply regret it" (and appear to mean it). Betty didn't do this.

This is not unique to this case. But if a person truly believes it was not "all their fault" they are screwed in these hearings. The judge/jury/etc has deemed it their fault so that is what these boards what you to admit to.

Few people if any will get out early by continuing to blame others for their action EVEN IF THERE IS SOME TRUTH TO IT. Which generally there is not.

Home Theater Build
Old 01-23-10, 01:25 PM   #21
Heat
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-23-10, 02:03 PM   #22
PopcornTreeCt
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I don't understand this. Typically, I support vigilante killings... but ex-husband and trophy wife didn't kill anyone. I follow Dexter's rules.
Old 01-23-10, 02:18 PM   #23
whotony
DVD Talk Legend

Vibiana, I don't see any way for you to justify your thinking here.
the only efense I see in that article is...

"She still is, the California parole board concluded Thursday after hearing Broderick's rambling statement in which she continued to blame her actions on her husband's extramarital affair and their bitter divorce.
and
"Yet when pressed for details on her actions, Broderick repeated what she said during her trials: "Linda came at me and the gun went off.""

also you didn't bold anything in that long article to indicate the specific parts that lead you to your reason.

And if this is why you think she should be allowed to murder 2 people then you should get professional help.

"Dan lied about his cheating, used his connections to rig the legal system against Betty when he decided to dump her, and then let his new honey harass her and encouraged his children to side with him. He was sleaze. And Linda was a cheap home wrecker. Sorry, it's how I feel."

Last edited by whotony; 01-23-10 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-23-10, 02:37 PM   #24
RoyalTea
DVD Talk Legend

suppose she didn't kill her ex & his new wife, but just hacked off their limbs? would that also be justified?
Old 01-23-10, 04:17 PM   #25
islandclaws
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see how anyone could possibly think this woman deserves to spend no time in jail.

I think the only women who truly believe she's innocent and should be set free are those who probably would have been left for the hotter secretary.

Horror Movie Challenge:
Sponsored Links