DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-15-09, 07:12 PM   #1
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Headlights - if one burns out-can the police pull you over and give you a ticket?

The(car/truck) lights that stay on during the daylight hours-if one burns out-can the police pull you over and give you a ticket? Is it different per state? If both were burnt out would they not pull you over because not all cars have the safety lights?
Old 12-15-09, 07:43 PM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

re: Headlights - if one burns out-can the police pull you over and give you a ticket?

It depends on the state. In VA we have annual safety inspections, any equipment that is on the car (even optional equipment) must work at the time of inspection. Optional equipment can be removed from the car prior to inspection if it is broken, as long as it is not on the car when the inspector inspects it. I assume you are talking about daytime running lights (DRL) and I don't think there is a way to remove those, so they would need to work in the state of VA

Not sure about where you live, YMMV
Old 12-15-09, 08:31 PM   #3
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Headlights - if one burns out-can the police pull you over and give you a ticket?

I don't know if any states require daytime running lights, so during day light hours you should not get pulled over. In my experience most officers will pull you over ar night for a light out for probable cause and issue a fix it ticket/warning if you are clean. There are usually more serious things going on for cops to pull over people not doing anything, in non crime heavy areasfor a light out.
One night after my wife got off work at 11 pm we dropped her car off at the shop in a drug dealing heavy area of town. Unknown to me, my tail light was out; I got pulled over for the light, asked what we were doing, had my info ran, etc. Everything came back good and I was told to fix it and was free to go.
• XBL:Cusm • PSN:DarthCusm • D3:Cusm#1847 •
Old 12-15-09, 09:46 PM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Headlights - if one burns out-can the police pull you over and give you a ticket?

I've been pulled over for having one of my daytime lamps being burnt out here. That may have been an excuse since the cop seemed bored and needed busy work. I never even got a fix-it ticket.
Old 12-16-09, 05:15 AM   #5
DVD Talk Hero

I think they'd be more likely to pull you over and let you know that you have a light out than issue a ticket.

It's been my experience that tickets for broken lights are rare, mostly they just pull you over and tell you that you have a problem. They probably won't pull give you a ticket unless you're doing something else illegal.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 12-16-09, 05:44 AM   #6
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

In other words, should I stash my weed someplace else until I get my headlight fixed?
Old 12-16-09, 06:45 AM   #7

Yes. The wallflowers even wrote a song about it.

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 12-16-09, 07:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe View Post
In other words, should I stash my weed someplace else until I get my headlight fixed?
If they pull you over just swallow it really fast.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 12-16-09, 08:15 AM   #9
DVD Talk God

Seems like DRL are more trouble than they are worth.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 12-16-09, 09:23 AM   #10
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Yeah it is. My dad said he wasn't going to get it fixed. One alone costs 140 bucks thru the dealer. If he gets pulled over-I think he would get it fixed. I ,myself, thought those lights would last forever, but I guess not.
Old 12-16-09, 09:52 AM   #11
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I was planning on going until one burned out then just breaking the other one so it at least didn't look broken.
Old 12-16-09, 12:57 PM   #12
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
If they pull you over just swallow it really fast.
But take it out of the bag first unless you live in Florida................

Deadman31: how does Inuit oral history compare with Inuit anal history? Sean O'Hara: Seal blubber is a horrible lubricant. Let's just leave it at that.
Old 12-16-09, 12:58 PM   #13
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty03 View Post
I was planning on going until one burned out then just breaking the other one so it at least didn't look broken.
Some people might just remove the bulbs.....................................

Deadman31: how does Inuit oral history compare with Inuit anal history? Sean O'Hara: Seal blubber is a horrible lubricant. Let's just leave it at that.
Old 12-16-09, 04:26 PM   #14
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe View Post
Just ask the officer to give you a ticket. He will be so offended by your brashness that he won't issue a ticket even if he was inclined to do so in the first place.

Movies by the MINUTE
Old 12-17-09, 09:15 AM   #15
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Speaking of headlights, one of mine burnt out. Bought a replacement, but then read my manual and it specifically states multiple times that this type of headlight must be changed by a professional. Doesn't say this for all the other lights, just the headlights. Really? Looks simple enough.
Old 12-17-09, 09:27 AM   #16
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Speaking of headlights, one of mine burnt out. Bought a replacement, but then read my manual and it specifically states multiple times that this type of headlight must be changed by a professional. Doesn't say this for all the other lights, just the headlights. Really? Looks simple enough.
What model # is the replacement bulb? or link to it if you can

If it is something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-9006S...1063380&sr=8-1

It is easy to replace in most cars, but you can not touch the glass (or get any dirt or anything on it) with your bare fingers while installing it. The oils from your finger tips can damage the bulb.
Old 12-17-09, 12:03 PM   #17
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Think the one I bought was the same, except maybe 9005.

That sounds like a valid reason to be careful when replacing, I'll be careful. Thanks.

Browsing some of the reviews I see that the cheaper bulbs possibly only last 200 hours? Seems way low. My commute is almost always in the dark, at least one way and often both ways, so I probably use my headlights at least 5 hours a week, and I think they lasted 5 years, so maybe 1300 hours.
Old 12-17-09, 12:37 PM   #18
DVD Talk Legend

I would not actually recommend the lights in my first link, that was just an example.

Most of the lights that claim brighter, whiter, will make your life perfect overnight are full of shit

If you are seriously looking to buy a good bulb, get these (Sylvania LL)

http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-9007L...3&sr=1-3-fkmr0

Unless you want to fork over the cash to get something like the Toshiba HIR bulbs (google it), the other cheap whiter and brighter lights don't really do anything for you.

Some of the PIAA bulbs are ok too, just really expensive.