Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-07-09, 07:45 PM   #1
parrotheads4
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ever been ripped off by EZ-Pass?

In August my identity was stolen. I was issued a new credit card, and updated all the critical auto-payments - except EZ-Pass. One day I went through a toll and saw the words "balance low" light up and realized I never updated my account with he new credit card. When I got home I updated it on the New York EZ-Pass website, and thought all was well. It turns out EZ-Pass accepted my card for a one time payment of $25 toward the "low balance" but did not continue to auto fund the account with the new card. I don't know why, but they tell me it's my fault. I was suposed to call and re-authorize them to do this - though I can't find anything on the site that tells me this. The result? They now want me to pay two fines of $25 each for two tolls that went unpaid after the one time payment of $25 was used up. To further frustrate users of EZ-Pass you can not speak to a human about the matter. You must send a letter. I've done this, and recieved a response of "you are liable...pay the $50..."

I've got the money, but I feel this is total BS. Have any of you gone to war with the EZ-Pass Mafia? What would you do?
Old 11-07-09, 09:34 PM   #2
kenbuzz
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Ever been ripped off by EZ-Pass?

In the Midwest, we generally only drive on roads that we paid for when we built them. The only toll roads in these parts are the Turnpikes, which are designed to soak interstate travelers.

When I lived in the Mid-Atlantic, I *hated* toll roads/bridges with a passion. I'm glad I chose not to live around them.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 11-07-09 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-07-09, 09:41 PM   #3
movie diva
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
In the Midwest, we generally only drive on roads that we paid for when we built them. The only toll roads in these parts are the Turnpikes, which are designed to soak interstate travelers.

When I lived in the Mid-Atlantic, I *hated* toll roads/bridges with a passion. I'm glad I chose not to live around them.
Almost the same in Southern California, but we take out loans for our roads, we have one toll road, somewhere out in the middle of nowhere.
Silence is golden; duct tape is silver. -Kittydreamer
Old 11-07-09, 10:35 PM   #4
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

of course, the problem in CA is that their bond rating is so terrible.
Old 11-07-09, 10:48 PM   #5
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

BTW, when you mentioned this, i thought you were talking about the bus pass in LA, one of which is called EZ-Pass. Well, the pass that i have includes EZ-Pass, but the sheriff said that the ticket wasn't valid. I pointed to the EZ-Pass logo, and he said...oh, okay. but if i didn't know that, then i would've paid extra.
Old 11-07-09, 10:50 PM   #6
Ranger
DVD Talk Legend

This sounds familiar.
Quote:
Another SunPass Mistake Causes Problems

Posted: 4:16 pm EST December 12, 2008Updated: 5:21 pm EST December 12, 2008
ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- An Orange County man who set up automatic bill pay with SunPass still received 76 toll violations because the agency made another in a series of mistakes. And SunPass officials admit they don't know how many people have been affected by this one.

When Geoff Green started working in downtown Orlando, he bought one of the new SunPass mini transponders. He placed it in his windshield and set up his account online.

"I went in (and) did the auto pay situation," said Green.

Green used the toll roads everyday to get to work. He thought everything was fine but a month later he realized that wasn't the case when he received a notice from SunPass.

"They said, 'Your account is in the negative.' I said, 'Why?' They said, 'You haven't paid anything.' Well, it was set up on auto-pay," Green said.

Green received 76 violations and 6 citations because the website wasn't working properly. When he called to get the fines taken care of, SunPass told him he received the citations on Epass roads so he needed to fight it in court. SunPass roads are regulated by the Turnpike Authority. EPass roads are regulated by the Orlando-Orange County Expressway Authority.

"It didn't get set up so why am I getting penalized?" asked Green. "Why do I have to spend so much time on the phone? I have to go to court because your website didn't work right?"

Eyewitness News spoke to a SunPass spokesperson who said mini transponders are new and there was a software problem. Green settled his SunPass account but because EPass and SunPass do not share credit card information, he still owed EPass money. EPass agreed to dismiss all of his violations.

The SunPass spokesperson could not say how many people may have been affected by the software glitch. Green received several letters from Sunpass but threw them out because he thought they were solicitations. SunPass says watch your mail, because if it sends a letter, it typically means there is a problem.
http://www.wftv.com/news/18266874/detail.html
Old 11-07-09, 11:28 PM   #7
JoeyOhhhh

The tolls in NYC are a big enough rip off
Old 11-08-09, 01:02 AM   #8
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
In the Midwest, we generally only drive on roads that we paid for when we built them.
Except for Illinois.
Old 11-08-09, 01:03 AM   #9
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

At least here, though, we only have to pay the face value of the tolls that get missed as long as we have an I-Pass account.
Old 11-08-09, 06:10 AM   #10
Living Dead

I've never actually drive on a toll road. What do they usually cost?
Old 11-08-09, 07:09 AM   #11
Walker Boh
DVD Talk Special Edition

You just reminded me that I hadn't yet updated my SunPass account from when I got a new card last month ... thanks!
Old 11-08-09, 07:54 AM   #12
Trevor
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
I'm sure their is large variance, but mine costs either 50 or 75 cents at each entrance/exit, and $2.50 per day for me.

I have always hated and avoided toll roads, but they built the Dulles Toll Road in my backyard. Literally. I am looking out my bedroom window and see the toll road, I could throw a football onto it (back when I had a Bert Jones arm).

I could drive a few miles out of my way and avoid it, but with traffic lights and all, it adds about 30 minutes each way to my commute. I'm cheap, but to me, 30 minutes, extra gas, and wear and tear on my brakes is worth the $1.25 each way.

That amount is soon to increase btw, as my toll road will pay for the metro rail coming out to Dulles. One increase in January, and another increase in 2012. So people with cars get to pay for mass transit, lovely.
Old 11-08-09, 09:07 AM   #13
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
SunPass spokesperson who said mini transponders are new and there was a software problem. Green settled his SunPass account but because EPass and SunPass do not share credit card information, he still owed EPass money. EPass agreed to dismiss all of his violations.
Odd, blaming the problem on the transponders and not the website. It seems the transponders are working as planned, noting and logging all of the customers 76 trips through the toll!
Old 11-08-09, 09:38 AM   #14
Nick Danger
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
It costs about $7 to bypass Denver during rush hour and to drive directly to the airport. It saves about 90 minutes, after we've already driven 8 hours. I think it's worth it and pay it once a year.
Old 11-08-09, 11:04 AM   #15
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

Depends

NYC area most of the ez-pass is for bridges and some cost $8 per day or each way
Old 11-08-09, 02:03 PM   #16
Living Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I'm sure their is large variance, but mine costs either 50 or 75 cents at each entrance/exit, and $2.50 per day for me.

I have always hated and avoided toll roads, but they built the Dulles Toll Road in my backyard. Literally. I am looking out my bedroom window and see the toll road, I could throw a football onto it (back when I had a Bert Jones arm).
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
NYC area most of the ez-pass is for bridges and some cost $8 per day or each way.
Those roads had better be in top notch condition all year long if they're screwing people out of that much money.

I spent most of my life in CA and KY, where there are few (if any) toll roads. Any time I've taken a trip, I always do "avoid toll roads" routes. I'd be pissed if I lived near one and had to pay to drive on it.
Old 11-08-09, 04:51 PM   #17
FantasticVSDoom
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah SunPass is the worst... Used to always have problems with them.

And the tolls in the NYC area is the biggest ripoff in the city. One of the reasons I have still yet to get a car.

"Fighting is the best thing a man can have in his soul."-Renzo Gracie
Old 11-08-09, 05:43 PM   #18
My Other Self
DVD Talk Legend

I love not having tolls here except when I need to head to the Bay Area, but of course those are just Bridge Tolls for their upkeep and not your usual tolls like the NYS Thruway is set up with.

What routes in CA have tolls? I'm curious; I've traveled most of the state and I don't think I've ever come across one.

"As far as 240 lb rapists go, she's not that bad." -- DRG
Old 11-08-09, 05:55 PM   #19
big whoppa
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
I love not having tolls here except when I need to head to the Bay Area, but of course those are just Bridge Tolls for their upkeep and not your usual tolls like the NYS Thruway is set up with.

What routes in CA have tolls? I'm curious; I've traveled most of the state and I don't think I've ever come across one.

San Fran will be having toll roads soon enough. It will be for only certain hours I believe.
Old 11-09-09, 09:31 AM   #20
Jeeden
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here in VA they actually have offices you can go to for issues, are you sure there isn't anything like this in NY?

Maybe you could try to "abandon" the account and just get a new one. I know in PA they sell transponders in vending machines at the rest stops. You can sign up in any state, I know a lot of people are signing up in VA because they don't charge a yearly fee like some other states.
Old 11-10-09, 07:29 AM   #21
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Those roads had better be in top notch condition all year long if they're screwing people out of that much money.

I spent most of my life in CA and KY, where there are few (if any) toll roads. Any time I've taken a trip, I always do "avoid toll roads" routes. I'd be pissed if I lived near one and had to pay to drive on it.
the NYS Thruway and the NJ Turnpike are probably the best quality roads i've driven on.

the bridge tolls pay for bridge maintenance which is expensive. and for the bridge maintenance of the bridges with no tolls. personally i wouldn't mind seeing tolls on every bridge, but people complain because they think someone else should pay for the repairs
Old 11-10-09, 09:20 AM   #22
juanmgonzalez

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfly View Post

The 73 in the OC is one