Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-08-09, 07:04 AM   #1
Lee Harvey Oswald

Living next to railroad tracks - would I ever get used to the noise?

My never ending quest in finding a home is running of time for the tax credit.

There are two really nice houses on a street, and I can afford them with or w/o the credit, but unfortunately there is a railroad track that runs directly behind the house.

Does anyone live that close to rr tracks? I'm afraid I'll never get a good night's sleep again. I know the train usually comes through around 3 am. I know people who live a block or two away from the tracks and they say it doesn't bother them. But this is right behind the house. I don't think the train would bother me during the day, just worried about sleep time.
Old 10-08-09, 07:21 AM   #2
badlieut
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Living next to railroad tracks - would I ever get used to the noise?

Growing up, I had a friend whose backyard was about 50 yards from the tracks. They slept thru it and I did to whenever I would spend the night there. I wouldn't worry about it. You'll get used to it.
Old 10-08-09, 07:56 AM   #3
solipsta
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I grew up in a house by tracks (about a block away) and we all got used to it. When you say directly behind the house, how close are you talking? Have you been there when a train has gone by?
Old 10-08-09, 07:57 AM   #4
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd say you'd get used to it but then think about when you're going to sell the house. If you foresee a situation where you need to sell in a hurry, it might cause a problem. I lived near railroad tracks and it never bothered me; then again I'm a deep sleeper.

When I was buying a house, one of the ones I looked at was one that was directly by some tracks. Like, right past the backyard. I skipped that one.

I would lowball each of the sellers and see where I can get the cheapest house.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 10-08-09, 08:27 AM   #5
mosquitobite
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
I'd say you'd get used to it but then think about when you're going to sell the house. If you foresee a situation where you need to sell in a hurry, it might cause a problem. I lived near railroad tracks and it never bothered me; then again I'm a deep sleeper.

When I was buying a house, one of the ones I looked at was one that was directly by some tracks. Like, right past the backyard. I skipped that one.

I would lowball each of the sellers and see where I can get the cheapest house.
Yep. If you're a first time homebuyer ALWAYS be thinking resale. It's making you question the purchase and when you go to sell it will make others question it as well. If you can't get it for a steal, I'd veer away personally.
Old 10-08-09, 08:33 AM   #6
mosquitobite
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another thing to consider is that right now inventories of 1st time homebuyer houses are low because of the tax credit. If you can't find something right now, it might be ok to wait. Unless the credit gets extended, the market is going to slow to a crawl (imo) and you might be able to get an even better deal. Once the sellers know the credit is gone and there are less buyers out there, you might just get a better deal than you would have with the $8K credit. Banks still are being tight with money, and when the govt credit dries up, I think it'll get even tighter.
Old 10-08-09, 08:37 AM   #7
iggystar
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I moved into an apartment by a very busy street and the noise drove me crazy the first few nights. After that, I totally got used to it and never even noticed the traffic.
Old 10-08-09, 08:48 AM   #8
Geofferson

I lived right next to railroad tracks while growing up. The train went by twice on weekdays -- 10am and 2pm. It was a smaller train (rarely more than 10 cars), but still rattled and had a loud horn when it crossed the street.

I enjoyed it as a kid actually -- would flatten coins on the track, etc. I don't think my parents minded it either since the train would typically go by while they were at work.
Old 10-08-09, 08:52 AM   #9
Palaver

How close is the house to an intersection? The train itself doesn't bother me. But the loud horn it has to blow at the intersections can be a bit of a nuisance.
Old 10-08-09, 09:08 AM   #10
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
Another thing to consider is that right now inventories of 1st time homebuyer houses are low because of the tax credit. If you can't find something right now, it might be ok to wait. Unless the credit gets extended, the market is going to slow to a crawl (imo) and you might be able to get an even better deal. Once the sellers know the credit is gone and there are less buyers out there, you might just get a better deal than you would have with the $8K credit. Banks still are being tight with money, and when the govt credit dries up, I think it'll get even tighter.
Regs are tightening up in January, so if he can get in now and the overall transaction makes sense, I'd say go for it.

Old 10-08-09, 09:32 AM   #11
reverie
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I lived two blocks from tracks growing up. It never bothered me, but it was still a little loud (the horn that is). I don't think I'd want to live next to train tracks myself.
Old 10-08-09, 09:38 AM   #12
Tommy Ceez
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Harvey Oswald View Post

There are two really nice houses on a street, and I can afford them with or w/o the credit, but unfortunately there is a railroad track that runs directly behind the house.

Does anyone live that close to rr tracks? I'm afraid I'll never get a good night's sleep again. I know the train usually comes through around 3 am. I know people who live a block or two away from the tracks and they say it doesn't bother them. But this is right behind the house. I don't think the train would bother me during the day, just worried about sleep time.
So you are going to make a hundreds of thousands of dollar decision based on getting 8000 in a tax credit?

You do realize that if you wait for the credit to expire house prices will fall more than 8k and the buyers market will increase greatly

PLUS, it looks like a 15k extention is in the pipeline anyway.

My opinion, buy now and when the credit expires and interest rates rise you will be underwater within a year
Old 10-08-09, 09:39 AM   #13
ctyankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
Yep. If you're a first time homebuyer ALWAYS be thinking resale. It's making you question the purchase and when you go to sell it will make others question it as well. If you can't get it for a steal, I'd veer away personally.
I would agree but would add that I wouldn't even do it for a steal. The first priority is to be happy, not to make money on your home. If it happens, it happens but real estate markets come and go but enjoying your home is your main objective.

We live on a small quiet dead end flat street off of a small quiet flat street with great access to the highway. The houses all back up on woods that can't be built on and the houses are each separated by hundreds of yards. Kids can ride bikes on the street without parents being worried about car traffic. Our neighbor moved from his nice but older house (built around the early 70's) to a brand new and large house because his wife dearly wanted a bigger brand new house rather than expanding the old house. The only thing he could afford that was like that (and to stay in our town) was new construction. Most of the town is zoned for 2 acre lots but these were an exception with very large beautiful houses separated by mere yards from each other down by the railroad tracks.

I don't see him very often any more but when I do, there isn't a time that he doesn't mention how he regrets moving. His house is on a hilly street with thru traffic, so he can't trust having his kids on the street and they don't want to play out there either because it's on a hill. They don't go out for walks as a family as they are directly off a major road and he laments missing being on a street with no traffic off another street with very light traffic.

The trains don't run after midnight so they don't hear anything at night until about 5:30 A.M. Even then, it's only about one train per hour except for peak traffic times. Still, the reality is that when they sell, people will be concerned about the train noise (and resale value) with the kicker being that they will ALSO want a NEW house, which his isn't anymore. So he told me he screwed the pooch, but in reality his pressuring wife screwed him and he didn't even get to enjoy it.

I learned my lesson the hard way when I was renting. The real estate agent warned me over and over and pressed the cruddy old apartment with the great reverse commute and I wanted the great beautiful apartment in the 'happening' complex with the nightmare long commute (7.1 miles = 1 hour commute) including riding both ways into the rising/setting sun). She was right and I paid the price ... every workday.

There is nothing more true than 'location, location, location.' I'd rather have a shit house in a great location than a great house in a shit location. That's no contest. Live and learn or learn from others. Your call.
Old 10-08-09, 10:03 AM   #14
Quatermass

Depends...do you get your own hand cart to commute to work?
Old 10-08-09, 10:11 AM   #15
RunBandoRun
Needs to contact Admin about multiple accounts

Location: Formerly know as"Vibiana"/Living in a van down by the river

I live in a housing development that sits up on a bluff overlooking an industrial district. So while the trains don't run right behind my house, they do run less than a quarter of a mile away.

After a while you won't even notice the noise.
Old 10-08-09, 10:50 AM   #16
EdTheRipper
DVD Talk Legend

I've got tracks about a block away from me. When the train runs, I hear it but it's not enough to wake me up or anything. Like others have said, you'd adjust.
Old 10-08-09, 10:58 AM   #17
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

it bothered me a bit when i bought my first house. i was bout 1/4 mile from them. but the train blared it's horn at all times of the day due to the crossing with the main street. i'd hear it occasionally at night if i was restless, but i got used to it. now if i was right next to it, i'd say that's a whole different story.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 10-08-09, 11:06 AM   #18
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
Depends...do you get your own hand cart to commute to work?
Since 1998, you've been waiting for a reason to use this GIF. At last!

Old 10-08-09, 11:11 AM   #19
Me007gold
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have tracks and a crossing about 50ft from my house. Train dose not blow horn at the intersection, but he noise from the train likes to set off my car alarm. Its not too terrible
Old 10-08-09, 11:17 AM   #20
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

It takes a lot to laugh, it takes a train to cry.

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 10-08-09, 11:32 AM   #21
rw2516

Had tracks about 1 block from a house I rented for several years. Windows rattle when a train goes by. If the windows were open the horn would drown out the tv, have to turn it up till train passed. The real pain was the railroad crossings. I hated it when leaving or coming home and the way was blocked by a passing train, having to turn around and take an alternate way.
Old 10-08-09, 11:58 AM   #22
mndtrp
DVD Talk Legend

I've lived kind of close to tracks before. While getting used to it, I wouldn't really want to do it again. I like sitting on my back deck and hearing relative silence. I also wouldn't buy a future house that was close to tracks. I'm in the mindset of being happy, and worrying about selling later, but you'll be limiting any future buyers with this choice.
Old 10-08-09, 12:05 PM   #23
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

Vinny Gambini: Does that freight train come through here at 5:00 A.M. every morning?
Hotel Clerk: No, sir, it's very unusual.
Vinny Gambini: [the next day, after Vinny was awakened again by the train] Yesterday you told me that freight train hardly ever comes through here at 5:00 A.M. in the morning.
Hotel Clerk: I know. She's supposed to come through at ten after 4:00.

Last edited by eXcentris; 10-08-09 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-08-09, 02:52 PM   #24
superdeluxe
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Harvey Oswald View Post

1)Do you plan on living there for a long time? Houses are cheaper close to railtracks, but they are also much harder to sell

2)You will get used to the noise. I've lived next to a AFB for the past 7 years, and we can hear the jets reving at midnight, I got used to it just fine
Old 10-08-09, 03:47 PM   #25
Mole177

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Vinny Gambini: Does that freight train come through here at 5:00 A.M. every morning?
Hotel Clerk: No, sir, it's very unusual.
Vinny Gambini: [the next day, after Vinny was awakened again by the train] Yesterday you told me that freight train hardly ever comes through here at 5:00 A.M. in the morning.
Hotel Clerk: I know. She's supposed to come through at ten after 4:00.
hahaha

i was thinking of that.