Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-14-09, 02:18 AM   #1
Alan Smithee
DVD Talk Reviewer

People asking for money who ran out of gas...

A bunch of times (including tonight), usually at a drive-thru, I've had people come up to me saying that their car just ran out of gas and they didn't bring any cash or credit cards, and they're at least 100 miles from home, so they ask me for a few dollars for enough gas to get home.

Seriously, why would you drive out of your area with nothing in your pocket and not even make sure your car was filled up beforehand, and even if you were stupid enough to do that, what the hell would make you think a complete stranger would care enough to hand over a few bucks???

The one I got tonight said the police were going to tow her car if she left it for too long- I told her to just wait for them and they'd help her out, assuming her story was true. I wonder if panhandlers hang out together and come up with stories to use when asking people for money?
Old 09-14-09, 02:41 AM   #2
Poink

Re: People asking for money who ran out of gas...

I've had this happen a few times. Once it was a guy outside the local liquor store; I knew the story was bullshit 'cause I figured if he REALLY needed gas, he'd have better luck asking at the gas station that was a block away. I still gave the fucker a few dollars, since I didn't want to deprive anyone that desperate to get drunk.

The second time was at the gas station I mentioned before. The lady actually had a small gas can with her, so I squirted a dollar or two into her can while I filled my own tank. Sounds pretty sexy when I word it that way...
Old 09-14-09, 02:41 AM   #3
FinkPish
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Who the hell doesn't have a credit card or at least a bank debit card? I had a guy ask for money for gas, so I gave him a few bucks, then he got in his car and drove off, without filling up. I wish I had had a brick.
Old 09-14-09, 03:17 AM   #4
antennaball
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's a common spare-change scam. I get to run those people out of parking lots all the time.
Old 09-14-09, 03:51 AM   #5
Living Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink View Post
The lady actually had a small gas can with her...
This is pretty much the only way I'd give someone money who gave me this line of BS. In LA, you get asked for money by homeless people nearly every time you go out. At some point, you just have to stop caring or you'll be giving out money everywhere you go.
Old 09-14-09, 04:23 AM   #6
big whoppa
DVD Talk Legend

It's really bad in SF. They wait right outside fast-food drive throughs. When I brought it up to an employee at Jack in the Box, he said it was due to the economy and they're out of a job. Sorry but I doubt that was the case. Also, they stand at stop lights and busy intersections. Dangerous for them and the drivers. Many just sit outside stores. Some are in wheel chairs and so go around on one leg. Men have come up to me while I'm pumping gas too which can be a little scary at night.
Old 09-14-09, 05:43 AM   #7
nickdawgy
DVD Talk Hero

I was out working one time, and had top stop at Target for some supplies. This dude was asking for money for gas. The next week, the same Target, same dude asking for gas again.

Old 09-14-09, 06:01 AM   #8
maxfisher
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This happens pretty frequently around here. I usually just say, "I'm sure the gas station has a spare container they can loan you. If you get it from them, I'll fill it up for you." I've yet to have anyone take me up on the offer.
Old 09-14-09, 06:55 AM   #9
dtcarson
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was actually approached by someone at a gas station who said this. I said pull up here and I'll put five bucks in after I fill my tank. He actually did. Then again, most people wouldn't turn down free gas.

I never give cash to anyone I don't know who's not affiliated with an actual organization (and usually not then, either).
Old 09-14-09, 07:48 AM   #10
SterlingBen
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's a common scam.
Old 09-14-09, 10:36 AM   #11
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Went to a socal mall recently, and had some woman who apparently couldn't speak "sign" to me that she was starving and had no money, so I gave her some. The people sitting next to me said that she had talked (!) to them just a half hour ago and said that she had run out of gas and needed money. We saw here circle the food court like 6 or 7 times while we were eating. I remember when I at least used to get a trinket when I gave out money to the deaf...

Still better, to me, then the guys who insist on washing your windows with their dirty water. They wait at the stoplight, then proceed to wash your window even if you refuse, and then if you don't "tip" them they get angry...
Old 09-14-09, 10:54 AM   #12
DeputyDave
DVD Talk Legend

99.999% of the time this is a scam.

I fell for a variation of it one time. A co-worker and I were walking across the Mexican border in San Ysidro (the ped crossing) when a 20 something clean cut guy approached us. He had obviously been in a fight and his clothing looked torn, He told us that he had been jumped by the police in TJ and robbed (it certainly happens). He had no money and no wallet or ID. He said he was a Marine out of Camp Pendleton (about 50 to 60 miles North) and needed $8.00 more to get a bus back to base. Both of us were former military and had had trouble in TJ so we gave him $20 to get some food and his ticket,

About 4 hours later we crossed back into the US and he came up to us and started his spiel again. I stopped him and said, "Sorry, you already scammed us."
Old 09-14-09, 11:07 AM   #13
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

this one time, two guys at a gas station said they were students and needed money to go to school. like an idiot, i gave the cashier a few bux (so as to make sure that at least they got gas), and then a little later, they asked money to buy drinks. ugh.

another time, a fairly attractive brunette in her late teens/early 20s asked me for money for gas. her car was probably worth at least twice what my car was worth, probably more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Went to a socal mall recently, and had some woman who apparently couldn't speak "sign" to me that she was starving and had no money, so I gave her some. The people sitting next to me said that she had talked (!) to them just a half hour ago and said that she had run out of gas and needed money. We saw here circle the food court like 6 or 7 times while we were eating. I remember when I at least used to get a trinket when I gave out money to the deaf...
hey, better than what i saw on the news one time...a pastor or something was giving out money to the poor, and he would give $100 to people who are handicapped. a man in a wheelchair begging him for money, and later, MIRACULOUSLY was able to get up and WALK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post

Still better, to me, then the guys who insist on washing your windows with their dirty water. They wait at the stoplight, then proceed to wash your window even if you refuse, and then if you don't "tip" them they get angry...
i hate that. and, most of the time, they do a horrible job. and there's nothing you can say that will stop them from cleaning your windshield.

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 09-14-09 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-14-09, 11:10 AM   #14
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
About 4 hours later we crossed back into the US and he came up to us and started his spiel again. I stopped him and said, "Sorry, you already scammed us."
:

i had a guy once ask me for money so he can go to mcdonalds to buy food. minor problem. there wasn't a mcdonalds probably within a 1/2 mile radius.

i was walking through a park area, this guy sitting on the bench approached me asking for money for a bus ticket...yeah, at least, if you were trying to get money for a bus stop, i think you should at least pretend to stand near it.
Old 09-14-09, 11:22 AM   #15
dick_grayson
DVD Talk Legend

I had this happen to me at a gas station a couple months back. It was some repair-dude who said he'd just fixed his van and work was slow and needed money for gas. I knew it was a scam and told him "I don't have any money" and then went in and bought lottery tickets. Anyway, I was outside of my work a couple weeks ago and the same dude approached me and went into the same routine. I didn't mention that he'd tried it on me a few months back since I didn't feel like getting into shit for calling the guy out.....not to mention the beatdown he would have gotten had he gotten hostile.

Anyway, I also get the "I locked my baby in my car and need money for a tow company." The dude was in front of a fire station so I told him to go there and they'd open it. He said walked away w/o saying anything. Then I also get the "I just got out of jail and they dropped me off in the wrong location" bit. This hasn't happened in a few years but used to happen fairly often. Beyond that, my being "white" seems to come up each time for some reason. AKA "I realize you probably won't help me because you're white" or "All the other white people said no, but I figured I'd ask you..." kind of thing. That doesn't help their cause.
Old 09-14-09, 11:27 AM   #16
Groucho

There's no tow company in the world that wouldn't rescue a baby for free. But that said if I ever locked a kid in the car I'd use this low-tech method:

Bottom line is that these stories never stand even the slightest scrutiny.

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 09-14-09, 11:32 AM   #17
Hokeyboy
DVD Talk Legend

I've noticed they're getting younger and younger. Used to be sorta stringy, mid-late 30s white guys who did this. Now I'm seeing more late teens/early 20s women.

But there's still HOKEYBLOG!!!
Old 09-14-09, 11:33 AM   #18
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

My favorite scam is one that is fairly new (at least to me, never seen it before). Some guy dressed in regular casual clothes with no identification goes through the train claiming to be representing some operating-on-a-shoestring charity that has fed some number of homeless people or families, and can't you please spare some change?

It's actually a little better on the train because at least they're not asking you directly.
Old 09-14-09, 11:38 AM   #19
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

guess they missed the no solicitation signs...
Old 09-14-09, 11:40 AM   #20
RagingBull80
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I will occasionally give out the loose change in my pocket just to get people to leave me alone. The best story I ever got was a guy asking for money to buy diarrhea medicine for his kid. I had never heard that one before.
Old 09-14-09, 11:43 AM   #21
dick_grayson
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
There's no tow company in the world that wouldn't rescue a baby for free. But that said if I ever locked a kid in the car I'd use this low-tech method:

Bottom line is that these stories never stand even the slightest scrutiny.
I mentioned that, I think. I said, "If my baby was locked in the car, I'd probably break the window." I may have even offered to help him do so....
Old 09-14-09, 12:05 PM   #22
Groucho

Tip: don't break the window nearest the baby!
Old 09-14-09, 12:58 PM   #23
Unclejosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkPish View Post
Who the hell doesn't have a credit card or at least a bank debit card? I had a guy ask for money for gas, so I gave him a few bucks, then he got in his car and drove off, without filling up. I wish I had had a brick.
I never don't have cash on me, but I don't have a credit or bank debit card.
Old 09-14-09, 01:32 PM   #24
boogieman03

Yup. I dread having to fill up with gas because this is becoming all to common.

I actually felt a little bad not throwing the guy a couple of bucks until I saw him take off from the gas station and haul ass down the road.

Saw another person pull into the gas station, circle around, ask me for money and then go to the KFC next door when I turned them down.

Out of gas huh? F you.
Old 09-14-09, 01:56 PM   #25
redstang93

While on travel for work, I saw a guy by the off ramp with his gas can. After someone gave him money he walked toward the gas station till the car drove off, then walked back to his spot for the next car to come along.

The worst though was when my wife and I were leaving the hospital at like 2 in the morning after she had been in a car accident. I just gave some money to the guy because I didn't want to deal with him at all.
Sponsored Links