Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-01-09, 10:49 PM   #1
Patman
DVD Talk Hero

Contact lens loses strength?

Anyone have a contact lens lose strength?

I have the same prescription for both eyes, so I use the same strength contact lens in each eye. After about 4 months of wear, I noticed one of the lenses wasn't working so good, so I flip-flopped the lenses and the problem followed the suspect lens. These are extended wear daily wear lenses, thus my long-time use of them. Gave 2-week disposables a try, and didn't like how they made my eyes water all the time, and it was hell if I ever fell asleep with them on my eyeballs, even for a small nap at times.

I noticed that this lens isn't as strong anymore and allows me to read stuff up close easier than my normal prescription lens (I need reading glasses for up close reading). Anyone else have this problem?
Old 06-01-09, 11:01 PM   #2
Dave7393
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Contact lens loses strength?

I've had that happen a few times. Once, I remember that for some reason I couldn't read the digital radio station on my car stereo when I was driving. I could see everything else pretty well, but I couldn't see that level of detail. I changed the lens, and it wasn't a problem after that.

I use B&L 2 week disposables, but I wear them for months at a time (not while sleeping, ofcourse). The B&L disposables are the same exact lenses that B&L sells as extended wear-- it's just sold in a different container. I've been wearing them this way for more than 10 years, and haven't had a problem. It's only a few dollars a lens, so it's not a big deal if I rip one, or have to change one for some reason.
Old 06-01-09, 11:04 PM   #3
shaun3000
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think it's losing strength, more like it's getting fogged with gunk.
Old 06-01-09, 11:06 PM   #4
Dave7393
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When mine "lost it" a bit, I could see in the lens that it would get a little "loose" or look like it had a little ripple in it. Makes sense, since it wouldn't be able to focus light properly.
Old 06-02-09, 10:35 AM   #5
Patman
DVD Talk Hero

Read that as contacts get old, they can lose their optical quality, but still have the same power to them. But to me, that doesn't explain why I can see things better up close if they are "gunked" up. I guess the polymers lose some mechanical strength over time.

Last edited by Patman; 06-02-09 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-02-09, 11:00 PM   #6
drmoze
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patman View Post
Read that as contacts get old, they can lose their optical quality, but still have the same power to them. But to me, that doesn't explain why I can see things better up close if they are "gunked" up. I guess the polymers lose some mechanical strength over time.
They focus light less effectively as they age. Normal lenses for nearsightedness correct your vision in a way opposite to that needed for close-up reading (e.g. what reading glasses do). As your nearsightedness is 'less corrected' your close-up vision isn't as bad. I bet you can see even better close up with no contacts at all, right?