Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-29-09, 09:50 PM   #1
SPIDERone

Car battery dies every few weeks - why?

Taking it into the shop next week, but was hoping to maybe get an idea of what the problem might be.

My 3 year old battery worked fine until about 2 months ago, then it just suddenly died - jump start brought it back, drove it around and then parked it, then it was dead again the next time I tried to run it (later that day).

Went and got a new battery, worked fine then about 3 weeks later it was dead after letting it sit for 2 days. Jumped it, worked fine for another 2 weeks and then tonight it's dead again.

I don't think it's the battery (since this is a new one) - the dash lights come on, but they're dimmed. I know I didn't leave any lights on that could have drained the battery either.

Any idea what the problem might be? After I jumpstart it, it works great for a few weeks. I drove it earlier today for about 30 minutes without a problem, but tonight it's dead.

EDIT: And the part that I hate to ask - if you have an idea of what it might be, could you also estimate what the repaid cost would be for such a part?
Old 01-29-09, 09:55 PM   #2
McHawkson
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Car battery dies every few weeks - why?

Something is draining your battery - possible bad wiring. I'll leave it to Old Dude which he's pretty expert on those thingy.

Croc RULE!
Old 01-29-09, 09:57 PM   #3
Timber
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Could be an alternator. Don't know much about cars but I have has one go bad before and it sounds like the same thing that happened to me.
Old 01-29-09, 10:02 PM   #4
Gambit
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definitely sounds like your alternator is bad.
Old 01-29-09, 10:04 PM   #5
The Cow
DVD Talk Legend

I vote the alternator is not charging your battery as well.
Old 01-29-09, 10:12 PM   #6
SPIDERone

Thanks everyone - might take it in tomorrow and hopefully have it fixed before the weekend is over. Should a jumpstart be able to keep the car running for a few weeks if the alternator is bad? And would it be normal for it to go from working fine (this morning) to completely dead (tonight) if thats the problem?
Old 01-29-09, 10:17 PM   #7
Funkpie

This is classic alternator problem. Alternator replacement cost would depend our your car manufacturer, model and year. Refirb alternator in my area usually runs ~$50 for my 01 chevy. If someone else were to do it, then the cost in my area would run you $200-$300 depending on manufacturer, model and year.
Old 01-29-09, 10:20 PM   #8
invisiblegt
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIDERone View Post
Thanks everyone - might take it in tomorrow and hopefully have it fixed before the weekend is over. Should a jumpstart be able to keep the car running for a few weeks if the alternator is bad? And would it be normal for it to go from working fine (this morning) to completely dead (tonight) if thats the problem?
If it almost definitely the alternator. You can actually change it yourself if you'd like. It only takes a little bit of time, and would save you quite a bit of money.

now 82% more manly
Old 01-29-09, 10:36 PM   #9
Mole177
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

^not too many people are mechanically inclined here.

another vote for alternator.

another prob may be an open circuit somewhere.

what car? any aftermarket products installed? stereo?
Old 01-29-09, 10:53 PM   #10
SPIDERone

1987 BMW 325 / San Diego area.

I'm not too comfortable installing it myself since I know absolutely nothing about cars - had to check with a gas station to find out where the different fluids each went, and had a hard enough time just changing the battery out.

I have a good mechanic down here who is pretty honest about repairs/times/prices.. About how long should I expect labor to be? I've heard it's not a very long process but some shops charge labor for 3-4 hours for the job.
Old 01-29-09, 11:52 PM   #11
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

It's your alternator!@~!

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 01-30-09, 12:30 AM   #12
Larry C.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I agree with the others but I had a Mustang do the same and it was that the battery terminals were nasty so I took a wire brush and cleaned it and the battery as well and never had a problem/ But if that area looks clean then it the alternator.
Miami Heat 2012 NBA Champions!!
Miami Heat 2013 NBA Champions!!!
Old 01-30-09, 06:07 AM   #13
Nifty03
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIDERone View Post
1987 BMW 325
Well there's your problem, it's not a Toyota. If it were you wouldn't need a battery or an alternator, or even an engine. Toyota's run on Hope and Change.

I'll agree it does sound like the alternator, though I had a Dodge Shadow (I know, no way I should compare a Shadow and BMW) where the computer went bad and made it so the alternator wouldn't charge the battery even though both the battery and alternator were good. Think I replaced the stupid computer a couple of times.

Last edited by Nifty03; 01-30-09 at 06:26 AM.
Old 01-30-09, 07:34 AM   #14
Larry C.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty03 View Post
Well there's your problem, it's not a Toyota. If it were you wouldn't need a battery or an alternator, or even an engine. Toyota's run on Hope and Change.

I'll agree it does sound like the alternator, though I had a Dodge Shadow (I know, no way I should compare a Shadow and BMW) where the computer went bad and made it so the alternator wouldn't charge the battery even though both the battery and alternator were good. Think I replaced the stupid computer a couple of times.

God I hate toyotas. They might run forever but the are such cookie cutter cars.
Miami Heat 2012 NBA Champions!!
Miami Heat 2013 NBA Champions!!!
Old 01-30-09, 07:36 AM   #15
starman9000
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C. View Post
Are you in the right place? The only correct answer to every automotive question in otter is "you should get a Honda or Toyota."
Old 01-30-09, 07:54 AM   #16
wendersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
Are you in the right place? The only correct answer to every automotive question in otter is "you should get a Honda or Toyota."
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 01-30-09, 09:20 AM   #17
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
But is there room for my 18" penis, and enough storage for all my money, per the otter requirements?
Old 01-30-09, 09:29 AM   #18
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
This is null and void when the car is a BMW.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 01-30-09, 10:22 AM   #19
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

:rolleyes:

OP should have gotten a Toyota.

It's your own damn fault your car sucks!!!

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 01-30-09, 10:37 AM   #20
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

The alternator is most likely, but if you have a volt meter, it would be easy to do a quick check on it. I am not sure what voltage BMWs put out, but if it is about 14v with the engine running, then it might not be the alternator. If it is 12V or less with the engine running, then it most likely is the alternator.

Could also be dirty connections between the alternator, the battery, the starter, and the ground.

Could also be what they call 'dark power' and something is draining the battery that is not suppose to. Usually after market alarm systems are the big culprit here.

I have known people with cars that did this and never found a resolution to the problem short of trade in

Drive a Honda or a Toyota if you want a statistically lower probability of problems over 7 years/100,000 miles. If you want "style" "soul" and to define the size of your penis, drive something else
Old 01-30-09, 10:47 AM   #21
Max Bottomtime
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It takes less than ten minutes to change an alternator, but I guarantee any mechanic will charge you at least two hours labor.
Old 01-30-09, 11:45 AM   #22
Nifty03
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
If you want "style" "soul" and to define the size of your penis, drive something else
Old 01-30-09, 11:59 AM   #23
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
It takes less than ten minutes to change an alternator, but I guarantee any mechanic will charge you at least two hours labor.
depends which book he looks in, some say to charge 3 hours worth
Old 01-30-09, 12:20 PM   #24
AGuyNamedMike
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C. View Post
Style over substance, eh?

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 01-30-09, 01:19 PM   #25
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
The alternator is most likely, but if you have a volt meter, it would be easy to do a quick check on it. I am not sure what voltage BMWs put out, but if it is about 14v with the engine running, then it might not be the alternator. If it is 12V or less with the engine running, then it most likely is the alternator.

Could also be dirty connections between the alternator, the battery, the starter, and the ground.

Could also be what they call 'dark power' and something is draining the battery that is not suppose to. Usually after market alarm systems are the big culprit here.

I have known people with cars that did this and never found a resolution to the problem short of trade in

Drive a Honda or a Toyota if you want a statistically lower probability of problems over 7 years/100,000 miles. If you want "style" "soul" and to define the size of your penis, drive something else
my parents one of those dark power culprits in their car. every month or two, the car just would not start, charged the battery, and it started fine. the mechanic said that the interior light (the light that turns on when you open the door, and some other stuff) was draining power. he said that he could either disconnect them to go cheap, or to replace them, but it'd cost a bit more, and we just had him disconnect it.

With regards to Toyota/Honda, they're really, for the most part, the best bang for the buck, and the most reliable, but statistically speaking, but when it comes down to it, people have different priorities when buying a car. Perhaps they want something more stylish. Perhaps, something a little more fun to drive. Perhaps something that suits their character better. Or perhaps it's out of a patriotic sense (even though many Toyotas are made in the states). Or it could be a myriad of other reasons.
Sponsored Links