DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-14-14, 04:07 PM   #126
DVD Talk Legend

Re: What's new on the Howard Stern Show?

"BART? Gotta load of wood... sure burns good... gotta load of wood..."
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff
Old 03-14-14, 05:22 PM   #127
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't care for the 'phoney' phone calls but have come to accept them as part of the show.

The one thing I'm glad Howard seems to have dropped was the Phil Hendrie schtick where actors would phone in with wacky situations (the guy who ate dogs, the guy who found a skull in his backyard..). The guy who phoned in the other day saying he kisses his son sounded like that was going down the same road, luckily Howard hung up after a couple minutes.
Old 04-30-14, 11:58 AM   #128
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I must admit that "Hamptons" Howard has had a lot of A guests on lately - but it is exhausting to listen to the show.

He does 2 interviews a day - and each interview is 90 minutes. The show seems rushed, and Howard seems to be going through the paces with each question, and then off they go - commercial break - back to another 90 minute interview - commercial break - Robin's news [End Show]

There are no more bits, fun things to listen to, discussion of staff, celebs, etc. In the old days the show would have had a field day with the racist rants from the LA Clippers owners. Now Howard seems so afraid to insult anyone that he will lose his AGT show, and offend his Hampton's friends.
Old 04-30-14, 12:33 PM   #129
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't like how aggressive he is, often talking over or interupting the guest to get to the next question. I hear him doing that once in awhile in older interviews too, but it feels like it happens more often now.

For me, the best part of the show was the staff's lives and feuds and adventures, so I'm very happy to have the Wrap-Up show continuing on the days Howard is off.
Old 04-30-14, 12:54 PM   #130
DVD Talk Legend

I think the channel had exactly one good idea (well other than Geek Time) and that was the Wrap-Up show. It started out kind of painful to listen to but it evolved into a fun show and sort of what the Stern show used to be.
Old 04-30-14, 01:46 PM   #131

I agree - sometimes I just listen to the wrap up show to get the inside scoop.

Sometimes I follow some info on SFN and there have been lots of instances where the show has been edited for the replay, and that some segments of wrap up have been cut for replay.

I agree - I feel like Howard is looking for self justification for some of his behavior in his guests and he wants to project himself on them and grills them with questions on this. (ex: 1) Your relationship with your family had a deep impact on your behavior... 2) Why don't you get married and settle down.... )

Geek Time - was a great show, but Howard didn't like that someone else was in the spotlight so he cut everyone but Ralph off the show.

Back office Radio - now that was the best!
Old 04-30-14, 01:46 PM   #132
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ. View Post
I must admit that "Hamptons" Howard has had a lot of A guests on lately - but it is exhausting to listen to the show.

He does 2 interviews a day - and each interview is 90 minutes. The show seems rushed, and Howard seems to be going through the paces with each question, and then off they go - commercial break - back to another 90 minute interview - commercial break - Robin's news [End Show]

There are no more bits, fun things to listen to, discussion of staff, celebs, etc. In the old days the show would have had a field day with the racist rants from the LA Clippers owners. Now Howard seems so afraid to insult anyone that he will lose his AGT show, and offend his Hampton's friends.
I like the new format. How many decades is Howard supposed to do the painting O'Green bits or throwing bologna at strippers? He's 60+ years old and an excellent interviewer.

Wrap-up show blows. Who gives a shit?

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 04-30-14, 02:47 PM   #133
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I like the new format. How many decades is Howard supposed to do the painting O'Green bits or throwing bologna at strippers? He's 60+ years old and an excellent interviewer.

Wrap-up show blows. Who gives a shit?
He doesn't need to go back to throwing baloney at strippers (I think it's been 15 years since the last time they did anyway), but the show has lost the feeling of being alive, spontaneously making bits from the unexpected.

For example, two weeks ago, Robin read a news story about Ben Afflec quitting BATMAN and being replaced by the guy from The Wire. Turns out it was an April Fools joke. However, it was nearly a week AFTER April Fools, PLUS, it even said at the end of the article it was an April Fools joke but Robin didn't even bother to read that far. The situation should have been a comic gold mine, but it passed with nary a comment besides the correction. Can you imagine if they took the same blow-past approach to Gary's 'Ba-ba-booey' mistake all those years ago?

I enjoy the show, I'm not a Stern basher, but more often when I listen I find myself thinking, 'Why don't they sound like they're having any fun'?

And I give a shit about the Wrap-Up show because I like hearing from Scott and Sal ect.
Old 04-30-14, 02:56 PM   #134
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I also miss the crew bashing on each other. Nothing was better than listening to the debacle of the Ronnie Mund Block Parties. Now it's an interview with either a washed up comedian, a has been model / actress or we listen to Howard play his GD guitar. Wait until AGT starts up and that's all you'll hear for the first hour of every show... with Maryann calling in to blow Howard.

Whatever happened to Debbie the Pet Lady? I missed her rants even if she was acting.

Also -- the Billy Joel thing was boooooooring. I get he's a legendary singer, but I don't listen to the HS show to hear guys play music.
"Do u know how hard is it to won one oscar award? now ur simply referring him to motherfucker, but he deserve huge respect, even he win nobel prize, there is no surprise in it. first of all learn respect" - Ganesh Ujwal
XBox Live = Stiffy Goat11
Old 04-30-14, 02:57 PM   #135
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
He doesn't need to go back to throwing baloney at strippers (I think it's been 15 years since the last time they did anyway), but the show has lost the feeling of being alive, spontaneously making bits from the unexpected.

For example, two weeks ago, Robin read a news story about Ben Afflec quitting BATMAN and being replaced by the guy from The Wire. Turns out it was an April Fools joke. However, it was nearly a week AFTER April Fools, PLUS, it even said at the end of the article it was an April Fools joke but Robin didn't even bother to read that far. The situation should have been a comic gold mine, but it passed with nary a comment besides the correction. Can you imagine if they took the same blow-past approach to Gary's 'Ba-ba-booey' mistake all those years ago?

I enjoy the show, I'm not a Stern basher, but more often when I listen I find myself thinking, 'Why don't they sound like they're having any fun'?

And I give a shit about the Wrap-Up show because I like hearing from Scott and Sal ect.
Because that's not the show any more. Those old shows they replay just sound ridiculous to me now. Howard can't keep doing the same shtick forever. Howard has finally grown up.

The last thing I want to hear is Sal and John Hein. If they are getting goofed on by Howard or King of all Blacks on the air, that's one thing. I could care less about their "take" on Howard.

To each their own, I suppose.

EDIT TO ADD: The crew busts on each other all the time. I don't know what show you guys are listening to. The best is King of all Blacks busting on Ronnie. Hilarious. Ronnie gets so pissed.

Old 04-30-14, 03:31 PM   #136
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I also miss the crew bashing on each other. Nothing was better than listening to the debacle of the Ronnie Mund Block Parties. Now it's an interview with either a washed up comedian, a has been model / actress or we listen to Howard play his GD guitar. Wait until AGT starts up and that's all you'll hear for the first hour of every show... with Maryann calling in to blow Howard.

Whatever happened to Debbie the Pet Lady? I missed her rants even if she was acting.

Also -- the Billy Joel thing was boooooooring. I get he's a legendary singer, but I don't listen to the HS show to hear guys play music.
I cancelled my Howard Sirius subscription last month. Just not enough new content. His crew has the cushiest job. New shows only M-W. And then they take 2-3 week vacation on every freaking holiday.
Old 04-30-14, 03:44 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
For example, two weeks ago, Robin read a news story about Ben Afflec quitting BATMAN and being replaced by the guy from The Wire. Turns out it was an April Fools joke. However, it was nearly a week AFTER April Fools, PLUS, it even said at the end of the article it was an April Fools joke but Robin didn't even bother to read that far. The situation should have been a comic gold mine, but it passed with nary a comment besides the correction. Can you imagine if they took the same blow-past approach to Gary's 'Ba-ba-booey' mistake all those years ago? .
TRUE!!

Howard used to make fun of Larry King / Sinfeld / etc's wife going onto talk shows to promote their cookbooks - Now Howard has his wife on to help adopt KITTENS - and has no problem when she is on talk shows with puppies and kittens!!

Personally, I think finding homes for animals is a good thing to do.. but now he has become the same person who he used to make fun of. No one would have Beth on their shows if she was not Howard's wife.

He would go on for hours about Imus' Cancer Ranch - now he promotes the North Shore Animal League (that has a 2 star rating at charity navigator)

-He solicits donations on his show etc..

Last edited by CPA-ESQ.; 04-30-14 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-30-14, 03:52 PM   #138
DVD Talk Legend

I've stopped listening, really. I usually listen to his shows on SiriusXM On Demand, and I was already about a week and a half behind. Then the break happened... and I never caught up. To be honest, I have no desire to anyhow. The show was already starting to suck all over the place, and there was no sign of halting the decline.

The show have ended in 2010. The last thing I *ever* want to hear about is AGT, I despise the summer two-day-a-week schedule, I couldn't care less if he wants to be "Hamptons Howard" in his private life, but as radio fodder it's duller than dirt.

Hey anyone wanna hear more about Benji and Sharknado 2? Or Benji and Alyssa Jordana? Or Benji and ANYTHING?
Old 04-30-14, 04:00 PM   #139
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post

EDIT TO ADD: The crew busts on each other all the time. I don't know what show you guys are listening to.
Yeah, I think Robin just gets a pass on the ball busting because of her health situation.
3DS Friend Code:1178-1287-2020

My Countdown Counting down to: The first Saturday in May.
255 days 18 hours 21 minutes
Old 04-30-14, 06:28 PM   #140
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So he changed the format of the show? When did this happen? Or is it just evolved into 2 interviews and less bits...?
DVDTalk Member #1758 since: 06-09-99
I Hate Blockbuster chrisedge.com My first post I can find here
Old 04-30-14, 11:54 PM   #141
DVD Talk Legend

Howard still shits on people, he went on that 30 minute rant on Jeff Van Gundy, plus he complains about the boring elements of AGT or not wanting to hang out or do random shit with the co-hosts. The interviews are very well done, and Howard interrupting is just getting to the point or the more interesting part of the conversation. I do want more Richard appearances though. Also it sucks that the HTV crew is gone, since that means no more Scott DePace and his arguments with Gary.

I really like the Wrap Up Show, you get your fill of Ronnie getting pissed off at basic questions, fun afterthoughts.
Old 05-01-14, 08:20 AM   #142
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
I cancelled my Howard Sirius subscription last month. Just not enough new content. His crew has the cushiest job. New shows only M-W. And then they take 2-3 week vacation on every freaking holiday.
Isn't listening to Howard against God?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
I've stopped listening, really. I usually listen to his shows on SiriusXM On Demand, and I was already about a week and a half behind. Then the break happened... and I never caught up. To be honest, I have no desire to anyhow. The show was already starting to suck all over the place, and there was no sign of halting the decline.

The show have ended in 2010. The last thing I *ever* want to hear about is AGT, I despise the summer two-day-a-week schedule, I couldn't care less if he wants to be "Hamptons Howard" in his private life, but as radio fodder it's duller than dirt.

Hey anyone wanna hear more about Benji and Sharknado 2? Or Benji and Alyssa Jordana? Or Benji and ANYTHING?
What do you need to "keep up with"? Just listen and have fun. I'd rather listen to an hour interview with James Franco or Graham Nash than hearing the farting guy or Nicole Bass.

I really don't understand the nostalgia. Howard has evolved. People always shit on artistic evolution. The fact is that is show is now interesting more than scandalous. That's OK by me but I'm getting older too. There are tons of outlets for mindless, whoopee cushion humor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Howard still shits on people, he went on that 30 minute rant on Jeff Van Gundy, plus he complains about the boring elements of AGT or not wanting to hang out or do random shit with the co-hosts. The interviews are very well done, and Howard interrupting is just getting to the point or the more interesting part of the conversation. I do want more Richard appearances though. Also it sucks that the HTV crew is gone, since that means no more Scott DePace and his arguments with Gary.

I really like the Wrap Up Show, you get your fill of Ronnie getting pissed off at basic questions, fun afterthoughts.
Van Gundy was eviscerated.

I didn't realize DePace is gone. That sucks. I never once saw Howard TV. Only available on the blessed cable providers.

Last edited by CRM114; 05-01-14 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-01-14, 09:22 AM   #143
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it's fine that Howard has evolved. I'm a customer who didn't care for his older shtick and prefer this version of Howard... that said, he's gone away from even who he was 18 months ago. It's an influx of the same guests over and over with some kitten talk, guitar playing, AGT and minor ball busting thrown in.

Howard is brilliant IMO- so I'd like less interview time and more of his stream of consciousness.
"Do u know how hard is it to won one oscar award? now ur simply referring him to motherfucker, but he deserve huge respect, even he win nobel prize, there is no surprise in it. first of all learn respect" - Ganesh Ujwal
Old 05-01-14, 09:28 AM   #144
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's no more HowardTV?
Old 05-01-14, 09:37 AM   #145
DVD Talk Legend

HowardTV stopped production in October and went off the air in December. When the news broke, it was initially announced (by Howard) that there would be something replacing it with much broader reach. Since then... nada. With less than 2 years left on Howard's contract, I have my doubts that anything is going to become of it.
Old 05-01-14, 09:37 AM   #146
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nope
Old 05-01-14, 09:40 AM   #147
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
HowardTV stopped production in October and went off the air in December. When the news broke, it was initially announced (by Howard) that there would be something replacing it with much broader reach. Since then... nada. With less than 2 years left on Howard's contract, I have my doubts that anything is going to become of it.
I believe that after Howard's contract is up he's going to do an internet radio show and be done with satellite. I could easily see Sirius XM folding if that happens.
Old 05-01-14, 09:43 AM   #148

On Monday 5/5 he is going to announce how people can see the birthday show. So this may be a trial run to some new media outlet.

I wonder if he is going to go the Louie CK route and charge $1-5 for a download of the event? We will have to wait and see
Old 05-01-14, 10:08 AM   #149
DVD Talk Legend

Was I the only one bored silly by the Birthday show?
Old 05-01-14, 10:50 AM   #150
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, Howard TV is gone? The show might be listenable again. No more made for TV bits, no more whore of the month or whatever they called it. While I think the show has turned to ship that could have been a positive that thing to happen.