DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-12-13, 12:33 PM   #76
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: What's new on the Howard Stern Show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
He still gives the best celebrity interviews out of anyone, IMO. Howard is a master at digging for interesting bits about the celebrity's life that you won't hear anywhere else.

My biggest beef about the show is it is almost never on. They will take off weeks on end, and then give you maybe 3 shows a week if you're lucky. They've are now running reruns of reruns to fill the time slot. So sick of hearing the Saved by the Bell cast interviews.
I beg to differ, Ron Bennington puts Howard to shame when it comes to interviews.
Old 09-12-13, 01:48 PM   #77
DVD Talk Hero

XM subscriber?
Old 09-12-13, 02:00 PM   #78
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got to admit that I've stopped listening. The shows are hardly live anymore. You're lucky if you catch them in the studio. Each passing year he's found ways to work less and less. I need to cancel the satellite. I loved Howard but he's not interested in doing his show.
Old 09-12-13, 02:09 PM   #79
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
I beg to differ, Ron Bennington puts Howard to shame when it comes to interviews.
Bennington isn't even in the same BALLPARK as Stern. IMO, of course.
Old 09-12-13, 02:24 PM   #80
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
Well its tough to find any that far back. On the bright side, there seems to be a number of people that are posting some of his stuff to Youtube, so that really helps. Can't think of anywhere else that i can find his stuff without going straight to Sirius. I have watched a few classics recently though like the interview with Jan Michael Vincent, the whole Bon Jovi and Kinison saga, the Chevy Chase fight. All good stuff.
Check out the dark side of the Internet. Search on something like "Classic Howard Stern radio torrents" and look for pre-Sirius material.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 09-12-13 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-12-13, 02:32 PM   #81
DVD Talk Hero

To touch on some points:

- I don't miss Artie at all. He was a blowhard.
- I don't miss Jackie at all. His humor was super lame and he was annoying.
- Howard's absence from the airwaves does irritate me. It's bad enough that I only hear 20 minutes of his show a day but most of the time, he's not even on.
- It irritates me that he won't post his interviews online. If I'm coming to work and really getting into the Roger Daltrey interview, I can never hear it because I have to go into the building. I could get the internet thing but I don't work in an office that listening to Howard Stern would go over too well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Bennington isn't even in the same BALLPARK as Stern. IMO, of course.
My wife thinks Opie and Anthony are entertaining. Thats because she has an Acura with XM and forgets what Howard's show was like.
Old 09-12-13, 03:47 PM   #82
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Rachel Maddow was good.
Did he get her on the Sybian?

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 09-12-13, 06:26 PM   #83
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to love listening to Howard because I never knew what he was going to say/do next. Now I know exactly what he's going to say and do. He sticks to a formula. It's like he turned into Don Imus.

I'd rather listen to Boy Gary and the rest of the crew.

Did Howard ever wish cancer on Robin? Just wondering.
Old 09-13-13, 07:36 AM   #84

Quote:
To touch on some points:

- It irritates me that he won't post his interviews online. If I'm coming to work and really getting into the Roger Daltrey interview, I can never hear it because I have to go into the building. I could get the internet thing but I don't work in an office that listening to Howard Stern would go over too well.
The Internet version of Sirius might be better for you regardless of the work considerations since it allows you to listen to two weeks of shows on demand. You can't download, but you can listen to any portion of the show without having to listen to the entire show. The rewind/fast forward functionality make the Internet version well worth it for me, especially since they released improved phone apps a couple years ago.
Old 09-13-13, 01:38 PM   #85
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheads4 View Post
I used to love listening to Howard because I never knew what he was going to say/do next. Now I know exactly what he's going to say and do. He sticks to a formula. It's like he turned into Don Imus.

I'd rather listen to Boy Gary and the rest of the crew.

Did Howard ever wish cancer on Robin? Just wondering.
I never listened once he jumped to satellite. I do remember when he was on here. I enjoyed the show but even then it was repetitive and formulaic. My buddy loved his show. I got tired of the bits. How many times can stuttering John interview someone and throw in a "do you get laid much?" zinger and have it still be funny? Answer: not many.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 273 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 394 titles, Toshiba A35 72 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 09-13-13, 02:25 PM   #86
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
To touch on some points:

- I don't miss Artie at all. He was a blowhard.
- I don't miss Jackie at all. His humor was super lame and he was annoying.
- Howard's absence from the airwaves does irritate me. It's bad enough that I only hear 20 minutes of his show a day but most of the time, he's not even on.

My wife thinks Opie and Anthony are entertaining. Thats because she has an Acura with XM and forgets what Howard's show was like.
You can find almost any of his recent interviews on youtube nowdays.
Old 10-09-13, 12:13 PM   #87
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did anyone happen to listen to Monday's show, which featured a bizzarre, never ending segment where Beth came into the studio and she and Howard gave adopted kittens to listeners? WTF. I enjoy the show and don't mind them experimenting with new stuff, but this came across as so insane and out of touch with the audience I was astounded. It seems like a segment better fitting on Trade-o.

I kept waiting for Sal to come in and stuff one of those kittens in his pouch or Benji to come up with a hilarious bit of "accidently" sitting on one and crushing it... but nope.

I hope this never happens again. Even Beth seemed to realize this was going on way too long, nervously joking at one point, "Is this boring your listeners?"

Old 10-09-13, 12:57 PM   #88
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One of the few segments I've ever skipped. Absolutely horrible.

PSN - sauce07

My Countdown Counting down to: April 20th
Bubble Bubble Bubble
Old 10-09-13, 01:52 PM   #89
DVD Talk Legend

This is why I miss Artie. I can understand the reasons why they can never really have him back on as a regular, but man-oh-man he really helped keep Howard from devolving into a total pussy on-air.

I appreciate what Stern is doing with North Shore Animal League, but a devoting a seemingly never-ending segment to it on air? I'd sooner listen to him talk to JD about spoons for two hours...
Old 10-10-13, 12:50 AM   #90
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It did not last forever. Geez guys!

Let's not forget the home runs he's been having with everyone: Metallica, Paul McCartney, Whoopie Goldberg, Graham Nash, Seinfeld, in addition to the usual staff antics.
Old 10-10-13, 06:59 AM   #91
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The more i listen to Howard the more the team that work with him just annoy me. They are the most unlikeable people you could ever meet. They each kiss Howards ass all the damn time, try really hard to be funny...and always fail. They are so fake. JD's laugh makes my skin crawl. I am still trying to go back to older episodes where most of these hangers on were either not there or not given air time. Any new shows i just try to catch interviews. Everything else is a waste.
Old 10-10-13, 08:31 AM   #92
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
Did anyone happen to listen to Monday's show, which featured a bizzarre, never ending segment where Beth came into the studio and she and Howard gave adopted kittens to listeners? WTF. I enjoy the show and don't mind them experimenting with new stuff, but this came across as so insane and out of touch with the audience I was astounded. It seems like a segment better fitting on Trade-o.

I kept waiting for Sal to come in and stuff one of those kittens in his pouch or Benji to come up with a hilarious bit of "accidently" sitting on one and crushing it... but nope.

I hope this never happens again. Even Beth seemed to realize this was going on way too long, nervously joking at one point, "Is this boring your listeners?"

I missed it and I'm glad I did. I can appreciate what Howard is doing for the NSAL... however, I don't need a 45 minute long infomercial about it's merits when we're already getting bombarded with "buy a calendar" 5 times a morning.
"Do u know how hard is it to won one oscar award? now ur simply referring him to motherfucker, but he deserve huge respect, even he win nobel prize, there is no surprise in it. first of all learn respect" - Ganesh Ujwal
XBox Live = Stiffy Goat11
Old 10-10-13, 08:35 AM   #93
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth View Post
It did not last forever. Geez guys!
More than a five minute shout-out was entirely too long.
Quote:
Let's not forget the home runs he's been having with everyone: Metallica, Paul McCartney, Whoopie Goldberg, Graham Nash, Seinfeld, in addition to the usual staff antics.
The Metallica interview was great, as was McCartney (although the latter was FAR too short, but that's only because they only had an allotted 30 minutes). But for every one of those interviews, you have two dozen Lisa Lampinellis, Tan Moms, Jenny McCarthys, Joan Riverses, etc. The show is still worth listening to, easily, but Howard's been phoning it in a lot more than usual.

And honestly, who REALLY gives a Christ about David Arquette anyhow? He's not interesting, entertaining, or funny at all, yet Howard seems to be entirely enamored of him.

Don't get me started about how he berated his staff to quit doing Geek Time, the Ronnie Mund Block Party, basically any and all outside projects where they could earn some outside cash, so that they could focus exclusively on his show and his show only... and then he decided to go judge on AGT, cutting down his schedule to twice a week during the summer... if he was working that week at all. What a fucking hypocrite.

Quote:
"Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." -nodeerforamonth
I had no idea that you were Miles Kington!
Old 10-10-13, 08:48 AM   #94
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^^ Wait, Geek Time is no more? I actually liked that show. I know I hadn't heard about the Ronnie Mund Block Party but I thought it just ran it's course.

Also, please no more Tan Mom or Arquette!!!
"Do u know how hard is it to won one oscar award? now ur simply referring him to motherfucker, but he deserve huge respect, even he win nobel prize, there is no surprise in it. first of all learn respect" - Ganesh Ujwal
XBox Live = Stiffy Goat11
Old 10-10-13, 09:11 AM   #95
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
^^ Wait, Geek Time is no more? I actually liked that show. I know I hadn't heard about the Ronnie Mund Block Party but I thought it just ran it's course.

Also, please no more Tan Mom or Arquette!!!
Geek Time still exist but it sucks now. It's Ralph with Chris Gore, that's it.

Howard should fire whoever was responsible for cancelling the classic Geek Time, Jon Hein's TV Show and most of all, Back Office Radio. Now I don't listen to anything besides the main show/wrap up, my Stern channel listening time has gone way down.

PSN - sauce07

Bubble Bubble Bubble
Old 10-10-13, 09:35 AM   #96
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Paul McCartney interview was great, wish it could have gone on longer. Listening to Whoopi Goldberg now.
Old 10-10-13, 10:37 AM   #97
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauce07 View Post
Geek Time still exist but it sucks now. It's Ralph with Chris Gore, that's it.

Howard should fire whoever was responsible for cancelling the classic Geek Time, Jon Hein's TV Show and most of all, Back Office Radio. Now I don't listen to anything besides the main show/wrap up, my Stern channel listening time has gone way down.
Howard himself gutted Geek Time. He was whining and carrying on about how much time Ralph, Jon, and Jason were devoting to it. Right before the summer movie season started it went on hiatus for about 2 months, and when it came back it was reduced to an hour, with just Ralph.

I loved the original Geek Time. Just listening to a bunch of TV, movie, tech, and gaming nerds go at it for two hours was fun enough, but Jon Hein kept it grounded enough as a broadcaster to keep it moving, focused, and professional.

But no: Mr. "FOCUS ON *MY* SHOW!!" gutted the show and shitcanned the format... and then ran off to do AGT again.
Old 10-10-13, 10:45 AM   #98
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Howard himself gutted Geek Time. He was whining and carrying on about how much time Ralph, Jon, and Jason were devoting to it. Right before the summer movie season started it went on hiatus for about 2 months, and when it came back it was reduced to an hour, with just Ralph.

I loved the original Geek Time. Just listening to a bunch of TV, movie, tech, and gaming nerds go at it for two hours was fun enough, but Jon Hein kept it grounded enough as a broadcaster to keep it moving, focused, and professional.

But no: Mr. "FOCUS ON *MY* SHOW!!" gutted the show and shitcanned the format... and then ran off to do AGT again.
The gutting of Geek Time and cancelling of JHTV and Back Office Radio was around the same time that Marci Turk took over behind the scenes. I think she had more to do with it than Stern.

PSN - sauce07

Bubble Bubble Bubble
Old 10-10-13, 11:17 AM   #99
DVD Talk Legend

Stern was pretty explicit about his hatred of and frustration with those shows. Turk carried out his orders. Notice how all the "extracurricular" activities stopped at the same exact time.
Old 10-10-13, 11:32 AM   #100
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Stern was pretty explicit about his hatred of and frustration with those shows. Turk carried out his orders. Notice how all the "extracurricular" activities stopped at the same exact time.
Yes, I think Stern had a hand in it but he also doesn't seem to mind Schuli being on Jay Thomas or that Dr. Fish show. In fact, it seems like Howard has no knowledge of the shows that are on 101 now. Is Super Fan Roundtable still on? The Intern Show?

PSN - sauce07

Bubble Bubble Bubble