DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-28-16, 11:34 AM   #126
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Potato chips and other snacks - reviewed

Assuming it's the same flavor, it's gone from Voodoo Gumbo to Voodoo to Voodoo Heat.

The Spicy Cajun Crawtators are still my favorite. We can get most of the flavors here for around $2 a bag, but we stock up every time we visit my wife's family because they are cheaper (and have larger sizes) down south.
Old 06-28-16, 11:49 AM   #127
DVD Talk Special Edition

Everyone knows I love Guinness Stout, so a friend of mine got me these last Christmas:

They're kettle-style chips, coated with a powder that tastes more like "malt powder" than "Guinness". If you've ever had a malta (the drink), it almost tastes like someone freeze-dried malta and sprinkled it over the chips. It was a very odd taste at first, and not that appealing. Yet, there was something about them that kinda tasted good after 2-3 chips. I can't really describe it, except that it seemed to satisfy some kind of umami thing on my palate. These aren't something I'd buy on a regular basis (and, since they're imported, they'd be hard to find anyway). Still, they were enjoyable as a one-time treat.

If you like spicy, you might like these:

First... check out that packaging. Awesome! Anyway, these regular-cut chips swear they're the spiciest you can get. When you first bite in to one, you might think "well, they're a lot spicier than most things that say they're spicy, but aren't... like Taco Bell's 'Fire' sauce". But keep eating. The heat builds. After 10 chips you're like "OK, these are actually pretty spicy". And what cuts the heat? Alcohol, making these a perfect snack with beer. To me, the best part is the flavor: you can absolutely tell the heat comes from habaneros, as it's a fruity, "clean" heat, as opposed to the almost smoky heat cayenne provides in most "spicy" chips. These chips were originally only available at upscale markets here in Charlotte... but are now starting to show up in higher-end stores and some delis... so that's cool.

As much as I like Mama Zuma's Revenge chips, my current favorites are actually Cape Cod Smoked Gouda chips:

They're kettle chips, and they have a STRONG taste of smoked Gouda. They didn't skimp on the seasoning here, folks. It's IN YOUR FACE gouda that actually tastes like the cheese in question and not "a bunch of artificial flavors mixed together to approximate something like gouda". I like them 'cos they're damn good... but also 'cos they reminded me so much of the chips I got in Europe last fall. Like the gouda chips in The Netherlands. Or the "Sandwich Parisien" (ham & cheese) chips I got in Paris:

Now those were the best chips I've had in a long, long time.
Old 06-28-16, 11:56 AM   #128
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by printerati View Post
Assuming it's the same flavor, it's gone from Voodoo Gumbo to Voodoo to Voodoo Heat.

The Spicy Cajun Crawtators are still my favorite. We can get most of the flavors here for around $2 a bag, but we stock up every time we visit my wife's family because they are cheaper (and have larger sizes) down south.
Voodoo and Voodoo Heat are 2 different flavors and they sell both concurrently. They both have the same salt and vinegar/BBQ taste but Heat adds a good bit of heat on the back end.
Old 06-28-16, 11:59 AM   #129
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by printerati View Post
we stock up every time we visit my wife's family because they are cheaper (and have larger sizes) down south.
Do you have Utz chips in your area? 'Cos Utz bought Zapp's in 2011, and Zapp's have slowly been making their way from "chips you can only buy at hipster delis" to "available at most grocery stores" here in Charlotte. Which is pretty awesome, 'cos Utz chips themselves weren't available here at all until 2008 or so (after being available in Raleigh for decades). I love me some Crab and Grandma Utz's chips!
Old 06-28-16, 12:07 PM   #130
DVD Talk Hero

I've been eating the Cape Cod Roasted Black Garlic Kettle chips lately. It's not some super unique flavor, but man I could eat a bag of those a day.

Old 06-28-16, 01:05 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
Do you have Utz chips in your area? 'Cos Utz bought Zapp's in 2011, and Zapp's have slowly been making their way from "chips you can only buy at hipster delis" to "available at most grocery stores" here in Charlotte. Which is pretty awesome, 'cos Utz chips themselves weren't available here at all until 2008 or so (after being available in Raleigh for decades). I love me some Crab and Grandma Utz's chips!
AHA! I used to love Zapp's Cajun Crawtators, but something was different the last few times I bought them. They were still good, but not the same. Albertson's grocery store used to sell them in the 80s and 90s until they went away. I have seen them at BigLots recently.
Old 06-28-16, 02:04 PM   #132

Quote:
Do you have Utz chips in your area?
We do, although they typically show up at outlet stores like Big Lots and Ollie's. In contrast, Zapp's typically show up at the nicer independent or specialty grocery stores. Neither are readily (if ever) available at the major chains like Kroger and Meijer.
Old 06-28-16, 07:29 PM   #133
DVD Talk Hero

World Market regularly carries Zapp's chips, and I've bought the Guinness chips there, too.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 06-28-16, 07:43 PM   #134
Inane Thread Master

I've been chomping down on Baked Lays. The cheddar and sour cream and chives.
Old 06-28-16, 07:44 PM   #135
Inane Thread Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I've been eating the Cape Cod Roasted Black Garlic Kettle chips lately. It's not some super unique flavor, but man I could eat a bag of those a day.

Those look amazing!

I've had Cape Cod chips and they are quite good.
Old 06-28-16, 09:11 PM   #136
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

These things are so addictive, if I buy a bag I can't stop shoveling them into my mouth until the bag is empty.

Old 06-28-16, 09:33 PM   #137
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
These things are so addictive, if I buy a bag I can't stop shoveling them into my mouth until the bag is empty.

That is my entire youth right there. Loved both versions of those fries.
Old 06-29-16, 12:47 AM   #138

I loved this potato chip when shopping at my local Trader's Joe.

Old 06-29-16, 04:21 AM   #139
DVD Talk Hero

These are very good. I pick up a bag or two whenever I'm in Whole Foods.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 06-29-16, 08:06 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
I've been chomping down on Baked Lays. The cheddar and sour cream and chives.
Are these still made with olestra? If so, I don't think you will be enjoying them much longer.
Old 06-29-16, 08:17 AM   #141
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post

These are very good. I pick up a bag or two whenever I'm in Whole Foods.
I love those Terra blue chips they serve on Jet Blue flights, will have to try the red.
Old 06-29-16, 08:40 AM   #142
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
Are these still made with olestra? If so, I don't think you will be enjoying them much longer.
I'm pretty sure the "Olean" Lays Light Chips you're thinking of haven't been made in over a decade. However, my bowels remember them like it was yesterday. LOL!
Old 06-29-16, 08:43 AM   #143
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I love those Terra blue chips they serve on Jet Blue flights, will have to try the red.
Why not have both?

Looks perfect for the 4th!
Old 06-29-16, 12:58 PM   #144
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I ordered a 25 pack of those Voodoo chips. I hope they're as good as people say, otherwise I'll be stuck with them for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
That is my entire youth right there. Loved both versions of those fries.
They also had steak fries, and a few other discontinued versions.
Old 06-29-16, 01:58 PM   #145
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

According to wikipedia, here's all the current and past flavors:

Hot Fries
Hot Chili Cheese Steak Fries (discontinued)
Salsa Fries (discontinued)
Cheddar Fries
Cheddar and Bacon Fries (Southeastern U.S. only)
White Cheddar Steak Fries (discontinued)
BBQ Fries
Zesty Ranch

I just bought a bag of Hot Fries and the only other flavors they show on the back are Cheddar and BBQ. I don't recall seeing Zesty Ranch, perhaps it's regional? I'm curious about the Cheddar and Bacon Fries, too bad they are only sold in the Southeast.

EDIT: It looks like Zesty Ranch flavor is only distributed to schools, that's why I've never seen it.

Last edited by cultshock; 06-29-16 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-29-16, 03:33 PM   #146
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
According to wikipedia, here's all the current and past flavors:

Hot Fries
Hot Chili Cheese Steak Fries (discontinued)
Salsa Fries (discontinued)
Cheddar Fries
Cheddar and Bacon Fries (Southeastern U.S. only)
White Cheddar Steak Fries (discontinued)
BBQ Fries
Zesty Ranch
Actually, your list left off the original flavor - Pub Fries - which were only salted. My dad's company sold Pub Fries and Hot Fries for the longest time. Then, some time in the mid-90s, they started adding other flavors - Cheddar Fries, BBQ Fries - and Pub Fries disappeared. Whenever it was, it was before the line was sold to ConAgra... I remember that much.

Here's a pic of an old bag of Pub Fries (to prove that they existed). But I only remember them coming in packaging like this, though.
Old 06-29-16, 03:52 PM   #147
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Actually, your list left off the original flavor - Pub Fries - which were only salted. My dad's company sold Pub Fries and Hot Fries for the longest time. Then, some time in the mid-90s, they started adding other flavors - Cheddar Fries, BBQ Fries - and Pub Fries disappeared. Whenever it was, it was before the line was sold to ConAgra... I remember that much.

Here's a pic of an old bag of Pub Fries (to prove that they existed). But I only remember them coming in packaging like this, though.
Didn't realize they had those other flavors. I have only had the hot and cheddar flavors.
Old 06-29-16, 04:34 PM   #148
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I forgot to mention that jalapeņo veggie straws are fucking awesome. Don't let the healthy looking packaging fool you, this is some good stuff:

Old 06-29-16, 04:46 PM   #149
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hottest chips I've ever tasted.

I need a new source. My stockpile was recently tapped out and my local grocery store no longer carries them.
Old 06-29-16, 05:01 PM   #150
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:

Oh, that's right, the wiki article mentions "Pub Fries" but they were left off the list. ConAgra got involved in 1988 so perhaps that's when they stopped making that flavor. Thanks for the pic, 15 cents a bag, I wish!