Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-22-08, 06:45 PM   #1
shaun3000
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

TSA breaks 9 airplanes during security check

Seriously.

http://consumerist.com/5039971/tsa-e...reak-into-them

Basically, the TSA routinely checks planes parked overnight on the ramp to make sure they are properly secured. Rather than find a ladder or airstair, this particular TSA inspector used the conveniently-placed sensors and antennas to climb up and check the doors. Well wouldn't you know it, you're not supposed to step on those things because they're NOT LOAD BEARING and the planes had to be grounded while the airline inspected them. This resulted in at least 40 flights being delayed throughout the day.

And, of course, the TSA spokesperson defended their actions, saying, "our inspector was following routine procedure for securing the aircraft that were on the tarmac."

For the record, several of the planes were NOT secured but that doesn't justify the TSA's actions.
Old 08-22-08, 06:46 PM   #2
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

Sons a bitches!

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 08-22-08, 06:49 PM   #3
OldDude
DVD Talk Legend

I think we all know REAL terrorists would NEVER climb on non-load-bearing antennas and sensors to gain entry to a plane in an attempt to do great harm to the passengers.

The inspector shouldn't have done it, but frankly, the fact that the aircraft weren't properly secured is the bigger issue.
Old 08-22-08, 06:51 PM   #4
Jason
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDude View Post
The inspector shouldn't have done it, but frankly, the fact that the aircraft weren't properly secured is the bigger issue.
Like TSA has such a good track record to begin with.
Old 08-22-08, 07:30 PM   #5
shaun3000
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think we all know REAL terrorists would NEVER climb on non-load-bearing antennas and sensors to gain entry to a plane in an attempt to do great harm to the passengers.

That's missing the point. The point is he could have just as easily used a ladder to figure out the door wasn't locked. And not all of the airplanes were unlocked, several of them were properly secured but were still damaged. Regardless, there is no reason to cause the airline to spend money inspecting and possibly fixing the airplanes, delaying passengers, etc. The whole thing probably resulted in a several million dollars lost unnecessarily by an industry that's already hurting.

The fact that the TSA feels it is OK to do what it did is the bigger issue. It'd be like them using a knife to cut your laptop bag open because you didn't take your laptop out when you sent it through the x-ray machine and then saying they were following procedure.
Old 08-22-08, 10:16 PM   #6
leepyswetr
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:

Is the secure area of the airport secure or not? After they broke the first one, why did they keep going?

The TSA is a disgusting, un-American organization. It should be disbanded and its leaders jailed.
Old 08-22-08, 10:37 PM   #7
Duran
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun3000 View Post
That's missing the point. The point is he could have just as easily used a ladder to figure out the door wasn't locked.
I wonder why the TSA inspector was able to do this on 9 planes unchallenged. I don't think terrorists take much stock in "NO STEP" warnings.
Old 08-22-08, 10:40 PM   #8
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

I smell a promotion!

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 08-22-08, 10:43 PM   #9
shaun3000
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Right... These checks happen all the time. All. The. Time. The whole point is to make sure the planes are being secured WITHOUT BREAKING THEM. They check doors, emergency exits, and windows. You can safely access all of these places with ladders and air stairs, you don't have to resort to climbing on the freaking antennas. Obviously someone who is trying to access the airplane without being noticed will do whatever is necessary. In this case, all they were doing was making sure the planes were locked. Why would he go unchallenged? Because he's the freaking TSA doing a routine check, they're SUPPOSED to be there. What they are NOT supposed to do is climb, willy-nilly, all over the airplane without any respect or forethought into the repercussion of their actions.

You're supposed to display valid tags, inspection stickers, etc. on your car. When you get pulled over, the cops always check for this. Do they climb on the roof of your car, jump around, and generally disregard how they treat your car? NO. They walk around to the front or step on the running board to make sure the sticker is there. And that's a just a car. We're talking about multi-million dollar airplanes.
Old 08-22-08, 11:17 PM   #10
X
Administrator

What's the point of being so outraged about this?

1) You love airplanes and airplane abuse demands redress
2) The TSA is filled with morans and we should do away with it or replace the morans with smarter minimum wage employees
3) The taxpayer is going to have to pay for this large unnecessary expense
4) It shows that anything government gets involved in gets screwed up
5) You missed a flight
6) Otter
Old 08-22-08, 11:25 PM   #11
Dave99
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:

No, the bigger issue is that inspector placed far more people in danger by breaking fairly critical gear than his 'inspection' ever would have saved. Who knows how many times he has done this, and the damage hasn't been found before the next flight?
Old 08-23-08, 12:02 AM   #12
shaun3000
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes!!
Old 08-23-08, 12:03 AM   #13
shaun3000
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by X View Post
What's the point of being so outraged about this?

1) You love airplanes and airplane abuse demands redress
2) The TSA is filled with morans and we should do away with it or replace the morans with smarter minimum wage employees
3) The taxpayer is going to have to pay for this large unnecessary expense
4) It shows that anything government gets involved in gets screwed up
5) You missed a flight
6) Otter
I'm confused, is that a real question or rhetorical?

Old 08-23-08, 12:06 AM   #14
X
Administrator

Quote:
Yes!!
Oh, so it's that the TSA put people in jeopardy due to their bad inspection methods?

Was that a real possibility, or don't those planes get visually inspected before they fly them? Or was the damage not discernable?
Old 08-23-08, 12:11 AM   #15
Rex Fenestrarum

Quote:
Pssssttt... It's "moron", not "moran". Unless, of course, you're talking about a tug and barge service company on the east coast of the United States... I which case I apologize.
Old 08-23-08, 12:14 AM   #16
Rockmjd23
DVD Talk Legend

^ fail
Old 08-23-08, 12:16 AM   #17
mike45
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Seriously.

http://consumerist.com/5039971/tsa-e...reak-into-them

Basically, the TSA routinely checks planes parked overnight on the ramp to make sure they are properly secured. Rather than find a ladder or airstair, this particular TSA inspector used the conveniently-placed sensors and antennas to climb up and check the doors. Well wouldn't you know it, you're not supposed to step on those things because they're NOT LOAD BEARING and the planes had to be grounded while the airline inspected them. This resulted in at least 40 flights being delayed throughout the day.

And, of course, the TSA spokesperson defended their actions, saying, "our inspector was following routine procedure for securing the aircraft that were on the tarmac."

For the record, several of the planes were NOT secured but that doesn't justify the TSA's actions.

The operation was successful. But, the patient died.
Old 08-23-08, 12:44 AM   #18
Dave99
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Oh, so it's that the TSA put people in jeopardy due to their bad inspection methods?

Was that a real possibility, or don't those planes get visually inspected before they fly them? Or was the damage not discernable?
Yes, absolutely. Just because you do a preflight walk-around doesn't mean you are going to see every crack or a pitot tube that is a little bent or an antenna about to break off once a couple hundred MPH of wind hits it. There just isn't enough time in the day to do it. Shaun can probably attest to this better than I, since he flies professionally & on more complex aircraft than I ever have flown.

If TSA wants to pull these kind of checks, they should be forced to have an airline representative/mechanic out there with them, I'd feel a lot safer about the whole process. I've seen too many TSA workers who weren't qualified to work the drive thru @ taco bell, I'm sure as hell not going to trust them monkeying around on multi-million dollar planes.
Old 08-23-08, 12:47 AM   #19
X
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
Pssssttt... It's "moron", not "moran". Unless, of course, you're talking about a tug and barge service company on the east coast of the United States... I which case I apologize.

Old 08-23-08, 01:19 AM   #20
HistoryProf
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
^ fail
it never ceases to amaze me that just about EVERY TIME someone uses "moran" some other moran will come along and correct them thinking he's all smrt and stuff.
Pavel Datsyuk on his coach saying he gives teammates extra room on the ice: "I think he meant that I am really small," Datsyuk explained. "So when I, a small slim person, am on the ice, there is more room for bigger guys. Maybe he said that to cheer me up that I look skinny!"
Old 08-23-08, 01:24 AM   #21
mike45
DVD Talk Special Edition

See the happy moron,
He doesn’t give a damn.
I wish I were a moron,
— My God! Perhaps I am!

― Dorothy Parker
Old 08-23-08, 01:51 AM   #22
shaun3000
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:

Yes, it's a real possibility. As Dave said, there could have been no obvious damage on the ground but could have easily failed in flight. The guy was climbing on pitot tubes (used for airspeed indication), AOA vanes (used for all kinds of flight performance info), and who knows how many antennas, used for everything from navigation to in-flight phone systems. I don't know how they knew the guy was climbing on the plane this way, unless someone saw him doing it. But someone did see him and they grounded the planes so they could be inspected.

I'm all for these kind of checks. Even though it's at a huge international airport and is probably more secure than your own house, it's still not a great idea to leave an unlocked plane out in the open. We always lock our plane, be it at JFK or Podunk, USA. Yes, a terrorist could easily climb up these parts to gain access but it won't do him any good if the doors are locked.

There is NO excuse for the TSA inspector to climb on an airplane like this and damage it. And in this case, he did it to NINE of them!! He is a professional, doing a professional's job, and did so with such utter disregard to safety and monetary damage, I really think the guy should lose his job. He put airline crew and passengers at risk of life and limb, he put the airline at a monetary risk, and has opened the TSA up to a lawsuit for gross negligence. No matter how you look at it, this ends up costing us money, either as a taxpayer or an airline customer.

If someone had broken into the airport and did what this guy did, they would have been arrested and probably be looking forward to many, many years in prison. This guy, on the other hand, gets defended for doing his job--poorly!!
Old 08-23-08, 07:14 AM   #23
greg9x
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
....He is a professional, doing a professional's job, ...
::

You weren't serious were you ??!!
Old 08-23-08, 09:16 AM   #24
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

I keep thinking that it would really have been easier for him to get the ladder...
Old 08-23-08, 10:06 AM   #25
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
You're supposed to display valid tags, inspection stickers, etc. on your car. When you get pulled over, the cops always check for this. Do they climb on the roof of your car, jump around, and generally disregard how they treat your car? NO. They walk around to the front or step on the running board to make sure the sticker is there. And that's a just a car. We're talking about multi-million dollar airplanes.
When I get pulled over, the cop asks me to hand him my license and registration. Are you suggesting the the TSA employee should ask the airplane whether or not the doors are locked?