Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-21-08, 05:21 PM   #1
GatorDeb
DVD Talk Legend

Tips on how to stop someone using my social security number.

A few years ago a woman started using my social security number. I have a program where for $80 a year I get to check my credit report at any time so I've been closing accounts after her. Since I'm not her, the places won't give me any information or copies of applications, etc. They just have me do a lot of paperwork and write off the charge as fraud. The thing is that she keeps doing it. All I have is her name and that she lives in Miami, Fl. I filed a report with the police department there, and they went to her address (which I had about five years ago but regrettably lost, and the PD has lost all records of my police report), knocked, and since she didn't answer, they left. They say since I haven't lost any money it's not high priority. Well yesterday I got yet another letter of yet another account she opened.

I don't want to change my SS#. And, even if I do, and she uses the social again, don't I have to prove anyway that it's not mine? How does the SSA know that it's not me using my old social? So I don't think changing the social is going to help stop the situation.

I want to take her to small claims court and charge her $80 per year for the credit report service I had to get because of her

She has opened cell phones, store cards, credit cards, even got my social put into chexsystems (it's been fixed). She even got a credit card under my social in the bank I work and bank at!! (which I got closed through the proper channels).

Ideas?
Old 06-21-08, 05:33 PM   #2
Ranger
DVD Talk Legend

Gosh, you are still having this problem? Sorry to hear that.

I figure one way to stop her for sure is to get private investigators to track her down, run surveillance and background checks, then sue or call the cops with all the info they need. Maybe other people have filed complains against her and also know she's in Miami.

I would change the SSN.
Old 06-21-08, 05:36 PM   #3
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

from SSA.gov...

Quote:
What if an identity thief is creating credit problems for you?

If someone has misused your Social Security number or other personal information to create credit or other problems for you, Social Security cannot resolve these problems. You should contact the Federal Trade Commission for help.

You can contact the Federal Trade Commission by:

* Internet— www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft
* Telephone— 1-877-IDTHEFT (1-877-438-4338)
* TTY— 1-866-653-4261
* You also should monitor your credit report periodically. Free credit reports are available online at www.annualcreditreport.com.
Quote:
Should you get a new Social Security number?

If you have done all you can to fix the problems resulting from misuse of your Social Security number and someone still is using your number, we may assign you a new number.

You cannot get a new Social Security number:

* To avoid the consequences of filing for bankruptcy;
* If you intend to avoid the law or your legal responsibility; or
* If your Social Security card is lost or stolen, but there is no evidence that someone is using your number.

If you decide to apply for a new number, you will need to prove your age, U.S. citizenship or lawful immigration status and identity. For more information, ask for Your Social Security Number And Card (Publication Number 05-10002).

You also will need to provide evidence that you still are being disadvantaged by the misuse.

Keep in mind that a new number probably will not solve all your problems. This is because other governmental agencies (such as the Internal Revenue Service and state motor vehicle agencies) and private businesses (such as banks and credit reporting companies) likely will have records under your old number. Also, because credit reporting companies use the number, along with other personal information, to identify your credit record, using a new number will not guarantee you a fresh start. This is especially true if your other personal information, such as your name and address, remains the same.

If you receive a new Social Security number, you will not be able use the old number anymore.

For some victims of identity theft, a new number actually creates new problems. If the old credit information is not associated with the new number, the absence of any credit history under the new number may make it more difficult for you to get credit.
Quote:
In addition to using our website, you can call us toll-free at 1-800-772-1213. We can answer specific questions from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday.

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 06-21-08, 05:37 PM   #4
mhg83
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb
A few years ago a woman started using my social security number. I have a program where for $80 a year I get to check my credit report at any time so I've been closing accounts after her. Since I'm not her, the places won't give me any information or copies of applications, etc. They just have me do a lot of paperwork and write off the charge as fraud. The thing is that she keeps doing it. All I have is her name and that she lives in Miami, Fl. I filed a report with the police department there, and they went to her address (which I had about five years ago but regrettably lost, and the PD has lost all records of my police report), knocked, and since she didn't answer, they left. They say since I haven't lost any money it's not high priority. Well yesterday I got yet another letter of yet another account she opened.

I don't want to change my SS#. And, even if I do, and she uses the social again, don't I have to prove anyway that it's not mine? How does the SSA know that it's not me using my old social? So I don't think changing the social is going to help stop the situation.

I want to take her to small claims court and charge her $80 per year for the credit report service I had to get because of her

She has opened cell phones, store cards, credit cards, even got my social put into chexsystems (it's been fixed). She even got a credit card under my social in the bank I work and bank at!! (which I got closed through the proper channels).

Ideas?

Whatever you do, dont put your ssc # in a tv commercial. I heard it didn't turn out too well for the last guy.
Old 06-21-08, 05:58 PM   #5
DeputyDave
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhg83
Whatever you do, dont put your ssc # in a tv commercial. I heard it didn't turn out too well for the last guy.
I've seen that comercial (the identity protection one, right). Did he really get burned?
Old 06-21-08, 05:59 PM   #6
Jeremy517
DVD Talk Legend

Call the big three credit agencies. They can make it so a phone call to you is required to open a new account.
Old 06-21-08, 06:10 PM   #7
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, if you call the big three and put a "flag" on your account, it will prevent anyone from opening any credit accounts without jumping through hoops. Sure, it sucks for you when you want to open credit account, but it's about the surest way to protect yourself.

Maybe you'll get lucky and she'll use your SSN for a job, and she'll pay into SS for you. Your payments will be higher when you are old!
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 06-21-08, 06:18 PM   #8
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I've seen that comercial (the identity protection one, right). Did he really get burned?
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/512990-has-any-one-subscribed-lifelock.html

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 06-21-08, 06:23 PM   #9
DeputyDave
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Wow