Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-10-08, 04:28 PM   #1
mrpayroll

2 Young Girls Shot To Death On Rural Road

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...r=HOME_4168258

Quote:
Oklahoma Cops Seek Killer In Slaying Of Best Friends, Ages 11 And 13

TULSA, Okla., June 10, 2008

(CBS/AP) The bodies of two young girls shot to death near the small town of Weleetka in Okfuskee County were discovered by the grandfather of one of the girls, along a dirt road the two best friends used dozens of times to play on and walk to sleepovers, according to grieving family members.

In this 2006 photo released by the her family, Taylor Paschal-Placker is seen at Graham Elementary School. (AP/Family Photo via The Oklahoman)

The bodies of 11-year-old Skyla Whitaker and 13-year-old Taylor Paschal-Placker were found Sunday by Taylor's grandfather, Peter, after he became worried when his wife tried calling the girl's cell phone and got no answer.

The Oklahoman newspaper reported police were looking at "persons of interest" in the case. Authorities are also offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to the capture of the killer or killers.

The girls, who were sleeping over at Taylor's house, decided to take a walk down the desolate road Sunday afternoon, something they were used to doing in their rural community. The Oklahoman said the girls were best friends and good students.

"I can't describe coming up on it," Peter Placker said, sobbing uncontrollably, as he tried to remember walking up on the scene, only about one-quarter mile from his house. "I done it once and I can't do it again."

Stan Florence, an inspector with the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, confirmed the names of the girls. Florence said the victims were shot "multiple times" and it was unknown if they were molested.

"They were little girls, what possible motive could there be?" Sheriff Jack Choate told The Oklahoman. "You have to wonder, did they see something they were not supposed to? Were they at the wrong place at the wrong time?"

By Monday afternoon, at least 20 investigators were examining the crime scene and pursuing leads that came in overnight.

Meanwhile, relatives tried to make sense of the grisly killings in a community where some folks still leave their keys in their cars and residents who live 10 miles apart still call themselves neighbors.

Skyla was the carefree adventurer, the girl who walked barefoot almost everywhere and rode her bicycle down endless dirt roads. Where she went, her many cats followed, along with her pet goat. Skyla wanted to become a veterinarian, said her grandmother, Claudia Farrow.

To know Taylor was to love her, her grandfather said. She was the big-hearted girl who rescued helpless turtles crawling in the middle of the road and wanted to become a forensic scientist, like on the TV shows, said Peter Placker, who said he raised Taylor like she was his daughter even though he was her biological grandparent.

She was home-schooled until the family moved to Weleetka, located about 70 miles south of Tulsa.

"She was the best kid I've known," Placker said.

© MMVIII, CBS Interactive Inc
There is nothing these girls could have done or seen that this should have happened to them!

Chris

Last edited by mrpayroll; 06-10-08 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-10-08, 04:30 PM   #2
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

I will never understand why threads like these are so prevalent around here.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 06-10-08, 04:37 PM   #3
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bus
I will never understand why threads like these are so prevalent around here.
the same reason they are so prevalent in news coverage on television and in print...

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 06-10-08, 04:40 PM   #4
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
the same reason they are so prevalent in news coverage on television and in print...
I had higher hopes for this place.

Old 06-10-08, 04:52 PM   #5
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
well news stories are posted here, and stories of this type are the bulk of the 'big' news stories every day... this type of story 'works' if you follow my meaning...

are there any stories anywhere in the media about two little girls who walk to an elderly person's house to help out?...

they never cover it widely in the media as that story doesn't 'work'... good news doesn't 'sell'...

i think it's a window right into the human condition, or soul...

i get what you mean though... i agree...

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 06-10-08, 04:56 PM   #6
Sean O'Hara
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Posters here are closet racists who think cute, white, middle class girls (preferably blonde) are the only people worth reporting on when they get kidnapped or murdered?
Old 06-10-08, 05:11 PM   #7
vaporware
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Posters here are closet racists who think cute, white, middle class girls (preferably blonde) are the only people worth reporting on when they get kidnapped or murdered?

yeah, someone made a mistake, these are clearly not middle class girls. The thread should be deleted.

xbox live gamertag=waporvare
Old 06-10-08, 05:13 PM   #8
tronmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpayroll

There is nothing these girls could have done or seen that this should have happened to them!

Chris
Yea, very sad indeed.
Old 06-10-08, 05:18 PM   #9
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

I'm sure Chevy, Blackberry, and Vlasic love sponsoring this video.

Local story and I haven't heard it yet. There's going to be a lynchin' when this guy is found.
Old 06-10-08, 05:21 PM   #10
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Old 06-10-08, 05:29 PM   #11
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Sad deal.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 06-10-08, 05:40 PM   #12
Sean O'Hara
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
When was the last time you saw MSNBC devote an entire week to a missing black boy from a trailer park, or a Hispanic girl who was murdered in downtown LA? But cute white female under the age of 30 ...
Old 06-10-08, 05:50 PM   #13
beesonosu

Quote:
When was the last time you saw MSNBC devote an entire week to a missing black boy from a trailer park, or a Hispanic girl who was murdered in downtown LA? But cute white female under the age of 30 ...
I have no control over what MSNBC reports on. That makes me a closet racist how?
Dr Mabuse posted the and he was also the first one to post that the news media is slanted. Still don't see any connection between that and closet racist posters...
Old 06-10-08, 06:00 PM   #14
Sean O'Hara
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beesonosu
I have no control over what MSNBC reports on. That makes me a closet racist how?
Your sarcasm detector's broken.
Old 06-10-08, 06:07 PM   #15
gilbertr76
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
If your logic were true, posters here would be reporting on all stories heard or read that contain acts against minorities, making sure to include lots of and and and and and and and and...
Old 06-10-08, 06:23 PM   #16
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Holy crap. Someone bring up the Queen, the Pope, and Colonel Sanders so that we can complete the conspiracy.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis

Last edited by kvrdave; 06-10-08 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-10-08, 06:37 PM   #17
cpgator
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Time to get down of the pedestal?
Old 06-10-08, 06:42 PM   #18
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgator
Time to get down of the pedestal?
But it's the only way I can see eye-to-eye with krkuhl.

Old 06-10-08, 07:22 PM   #19
Sean O'Hara
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertr76
If your logic were true, posters here would be reporting on all stories heard or read that contain acts against minorities, making sure to include lots of and and and and and and and and...
Psst. I'm not actually claiming that people who post here are racist. I was using Dr. Mabuse's claim that people post these stories for the same reason the media runs them, to point out that the media only runs these stories when they involve white girls.
Old 06-10-08, 07:26 PM   #20
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:
But it's the only way I can see eye-to-eye with krkuhl.
Not where my eyes would be.
Old 06-10-08, 07:29 PM   #21
bishop2knight
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you're not going to stay on topic, omeone needs to change the title of this thread. Stupid racists!
Old 06-10-08, 08:05 PM   #22
gilbertr76
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Psst. I'm not actually claiming that people who post here are racist. I was using Dr. Mabuse's claim that people post these stories for the same reason the media runs them, to point out that the media only runs these stories when they involve white girls.
Psst... I became aware of this after reading your response to beesonosu, but sarcastic intent does not change the logical falacy of your original comment.
Old 06-10-08, 08:53 PM   #23
Jadzia

They weren't asleep or sunbathing, so nothing to snark about here.
Old 06-11-08, 10:10 AM   #24
orangecrush
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Very sad

gamertag: IAMNOTwiththem
Old 06-11-08, 10:33 AM   #25
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

that's horrible
Sponsored Links