Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-19-08, 01:40 PM   #1
macnorton
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Thing that will have your man card revoked

Ok the other day I was talking with a co-worker about this and the two of us thought we should start a list of things that would get your man card revoked...here are a few we came up with (feel free to comment, add/subtract, debate and such...these things do piss us off big time):

1. The "bed head" look - When in the hell did this become popular? Wasn't the point of being a man to have hair that didn't need to be managed?
2. The "Brooklyn Blowout" - When did every dude think it was cool to look like the Gotti kids? Seriously, how long did you stand in front of the mirror?
3. Skin tight pants - When did it become cool to wear clothing that even a woman has trouble getting into? Ironically, this is how the mu mu started.
4. Wearing another dude's clothes - I can understand a shirt, jacket, and in some cases a hat, when did it become OK to where another dude's shoes or in the case of my brother, pants?
5. Guy playing guitar because they are good at Guitar Hero - Uhm, why didn't you just start with a real guitar...too hard?

That is a start...any takers?

*Edited for a spelling mistake

Last edited by macnorton; 05-19-08 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-19-08, 01:44 PM   #2
Liver&Onions
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnorton
Ok the other day I was talking with a co-worker about this and the two of us thought we should start a list of things that would get your man card revoked...here are a few we came up with (feel free to comment, add/subtract, debate and such...these things do piss us off big time):

1. The "bed head" look - When in the hell did this become popular? Wasn't the point of being a man to have hair that didn't need to be managed?
2. The "Brooklyn Blowout" - When did every dude think it was cool to look like the Gotti kids? Seriously, how long did you stand in front of the mirror?
3. Skin tight pants - When did it become cool to wear clothing that even a woman has trouble getting into? Ironically, this is how the mu mu started.
4. Wearing another dude's clothes - I can understand a shirt, jacket, and in some cases a hat, when did it become OK to where another dude's shoes or in the case of my brother, pants?
5. Guying player guitar because they are good at Guitar Hero - Uhm, why didn't you just start with a real guitar...too hard?

1. That's the key - it doesn't need to be managed. You roll out of bed and it's done.
2. Not sure wha the Brooklyn Blowout is.
3. Punk.
4. Yeah - not cool.
5. Because us geeks learn things in different ways

Add to the list.

* Listening to Coldplay.
Old 05-19-08, 01:51 PM   #3
domino harvey

+ Being so insecure about your own masculinity that you have to "call out" unusual male patterns of behavior that you find threatening to your own understanding of conventional (accepted) masculine norms.
Old 05-19-08, 01:52 PM   #4
macnorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
1. That's the key - it doesn't need to be managed. You roll out of bed and it's done.
2. Not sure wha the Brooklyn Blowout is.
3. Punk.
4. Yeah - not cool.
5. Because us geeks learn things in different ways

Add to the list.

* Listening to Coldplay.
1. True, but when you have to style that look...
2. See pictures of Gotti kids from the show "Growing Up Gotti" (sorry that might be a Jersey thing)
3. That I can understand, but if you ain't punk (which no one is...more on that in a second), what is the point?
4. Figured
5. Geeks are one things, douchebags from the college quad are another.

Ok new addition:

Calling something punk rock - Talk about a phrase that has lost all meaning. Punk rock was something cool, but Blink 182 and other ruined that.

Calling Blink 182 and like wise artists punk - Sorry fellas, punk rock started in a little place called Detroit (more on that in a second) with a band called The Stooges (opinions differ which is fine, but I feel that is the exact moment). And they were awesome.

Saying Eminem is from Detroit - This one is specific for me, since my family is from Detroit (6 Mile to be exact) and I spent most of my childhood there. Eminem was born in St. Louis for starters, and he lived in a suburb called Taylor...that is not Detroit. This same law applies to any one who says they are from a big city and they live 20+ miles away. Not cool.
Old 05-19-08, 01:53 PM   #5
macnorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino harvey
+ Being so insecure about your own masculinity that you have to "call out" unusual male patterns of behavior that you find threatening to your own understanding of conventional (accepted) masculine norms.
Nice one...
Old 05-19-08, 01:55 PM   #6
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Old 05-19-08, 02:00 PM   #7
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

Getting together and making lists. That's for girls. Does that sparkle with everyone?

das

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
Old 05-19-08, 02:00 PM   #8
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
This.

Also, wearing a cape.
Old 05-19-08, 02:02 PM   #9
jdodd
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by das Monkey
Getting together and making lists. That's for girls. Does that sparkle with everyone?

das
Sunshine.
Old 05-19-08, 02:04 PM   #10
Brian Shannon
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Thank you, thread is over.
Old 05-19-08, 02:09 PM   #11
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
This is one of the best retorts I've seen here in a long time. Excellent.

And I'll defend this list as best I can:

Quote:
1. The "bed head" look - When in the hell did this become popular?
When women started liking it. I'm not saying it's the world's best hairdo, but 80% of stupid shit guys do is for scoring with chicks (at least in the perpetrator's mind).

Quote:
I'll go the other way. Sure, a lot of pants are overly tight. But baggy pants actually look worse. Hint: If you need a "relaxed" fit, it's not because you're relaxing, it is because you're overweight. You're one notch away from sitting around in sweatpants, buddy.

Quote:
You seem to have an issue with your brother.

Quote:
5. Guying player guitar because they are good at Guitar Hero - Uhm, why didn't you just start with a real guitar...too hard?
This is the lamest excuse I've ever heard. Why watch football on TV? What's the matter, can't play pro football on your own?

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 05-19-08, 02:17 PM   #12
macnorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bus
This is the lamest excuse I've ever heard. Why watch football on TV? What's the matter, can't play pro football on your own?
I should have rephrased this...

It was more or less for the guys who say (and I had this conversation the other day...and I am quoting verbatim here) "Dude, when did play a real guitar ever get you anywhere?" I was stunned to say the least. That was my intention there.
Old 05-19-08, 02:18 PM   #13
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
It was more or less for the guys who say (and I had this conversation the other day...and I am quoting verbatim here) "Dude, when did play a real guitar ever get you anywhere?" I was stunned to say the least. That was my intention there.
There's idiots everywhere.

Old 05-19-08, 02:23 PM   #14
Bronkster
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm going to keep my Hello Kitty lunchbox hidden under my desk until this thread blows over.
Old 05-19-08, 02:24 PM   #15
macnorton

Quote:
There's idiots everywhere.
Yes there are...in droves even. Hence the point of this thread...and also for a few people to get a good laugh READ this was not to be taken too seriously.
Old 05-19-08, 02:26 PM   #16
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Peeing while sitting down, "bitch piss" as it is also known.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 05-19-08, 02:32 PM   #17
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Peeing while sitting down, "bitch piss" as it is also known.
What if it's done in the name of efficiency?

Old 05-19-08, 02:34 PM   #18
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

You can be the most efficient bitch pisser around.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 05-19-08, 02:40 PM   #19
El Scorcho
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

5. Guy playing guitar because they are good at Guitar Hero - Uhm, why didn't you just start with a real guitar...too hard?

*Edited for a spelling mistake
[x] OP is 20-25 years old and is still in that phase where he absolutely has to care about what everyone else around him is doing, saying, acting, dressing like, etc.

[ ] thread has never been done before
Old 05-19-08, 02:41 PM   #20
dieinafire

Quote:
What if it's done in the name of efficiency?
That is not an excuse.

You can only please a woman with a dick made out of chocolate that ejaculates money. -rehmus

It's like I got shocked and Awwwed by the pussy. -Larry C.
Old 05-19-08, 02:42 PM   #21
Groucho

Fuck you guys. I'm eating quiche for dinner tonight, and polishing it off with a Kiwi Strawberry wine cooler!

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 05-19-08, 02:43 PM   #22
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

Wait, so if you're taking a crap, you piss, then sit down? Or you crap, then stand up, then piss?

Old 05-19-08, 02:45 PM   #23
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho
Fuck you guys. I'm eating quiche for dinner tonight, and polishing it off with a Kiwi Strawberry wine cooler!
I assume you douche with that.
Old 05-19-08, 02:47 PM   #24
bwvanh114
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave
I assume you douche with that.
Old 05-19-08, 02:47 PM   #25
macnorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
[x] OP is 20-25 years old and is still in that phase where he absolutely has to care about what everyone else around him is doing, saying, acting, dressing like, etc.

[ ] thread has never been done before
Did you read above...this was meant to be a joke...sadly some people are taking me a little too seriously.
Sponsored Links