Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-18-08, 06:29 PM   #1
kantonburg
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Painting inside of new house. Newbie questions

So my wife and I put a contract on our first house this weekend and are hoping to close by the end of June.

The house itself is only 9 years old so it's in good shape. We just don't like the colors in most rooms. We spent some time in Lowes earlier looking around in the paint department. I asked the lady working what she thought was decent paint. I don't need anything "name brand" per se I just want something thats good and goes on without 47 coats. She said their own Valspar was a great paint and she really liked it.

What are you guys' experience with paint and what you do and don't like. Also can anyone recommend sites and/or books that give great tips on painting styles and/or color matching and even themes. I picked up a book they had there for ideas, but any you guys can share please feel free.
Old 05-18-08, 06:34 PM   #2
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked Behr (Home Depot) and I have used Valspar on the last couple of projects. I usually but whatever brand is on sale at the home store. I haven't tried premiums like Ralph Lauren or Sherwin Williams.

As for the coats, 2 is usually fine. If you are going with a bold or dark color use a tinted primer first. It helps immensely.
Old 05-18-08, 06:44 PM   #3
Jacoby Ellsbury
DVD Talk Special Edition

Behr has a new paint where you dont even have to prime and supposedly only takes 1 coat.
Old 05-18-08, 06:59 PM   #4
kantonburg
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wish we had a Home Depot closer than 40 minutes BUT if it's worth it I could always find the color I want and use Behr if it's worth it. My company uses Sherwin Williams paint (we have a local store) so I'm going to check to see if I can get a discount when the time comes.

I have the feeling diynetwork will be my friend over the next year.
Old 05-18-08, 07:10 PM   #5
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

Use primer.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 05-18-08, 07:14 PM   #6
kantonburg
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bus
Use primer.
That is by far the most important step. I've painted a room here and there, but mostly just helping friends out. They've all said the same thing.
Old 05-18-08, 07:34 PM   #7
Deftones
DVD Talk God

Stay far, far, far away from Ralph Lauren paint. It sucks.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 05-18-08, 08:22 PM   #8
M2theAX
DVD Talk Special Edition

Benjamin Moore, anything else is garbage.
Old 05-19-08, 10:55 AM   #9
grrrah
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bus
Use primer.
(another newb here) is it necessary if you are going from a shade of off-white, to a slightly different shade of off-white, or lightish color?
Old 05-19-08, 11:31 AM   #10
kantonburg
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2theAX
Benjamin Moore, anything else is garbage.
Really? Care to elaborate?
Old 05-19-08, 11:38 AM   #11
Brian Shannon
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones
Stay far, far, far away from Ralph Lauren paint. It sucks.
Sorry but I must disagree.

The Bus has the right tip, use primer. Also take your time, sand and spackle if necessary, the best paint will still look bad if it is put on a poor surface. I have used Behr, Ralph Lauren, Sherwin Willams and Duron in my home.

The Ralph Lauren paints I have used have been the best in terms of color, coverage and ease of care. My theater is painted with 4 colors of Ralph Lauren paint and we liked it so much that we used it in two other rooms in our house. You can see the paint in my sig for my theater.

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 05-19-08 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-19-08, 11:40 AM   #12
Brian Shannon
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrah
(another newb here) is it necessary if you are going from a shade of off-white, to a slightly different shade of off-white, or lightish color?
IMHO yes, because your new paint may not have good solid coverage. If you have to put three coats of new paint on to get coverage, you could have put on one coat of primer and two coats of paint for the same amount of labor. But it will look better.
Old 05-19-08, 11:50 AM   #13
wishbone
DVD Talk Legend

If you are repainting the ceiling there is ceiling white that is pinkish when wet but dries white. I wish I had that when I painted the ceilings in my house several years ago...
Old 05-19-08, 12:07 PM   #14
Brian Shannon
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantonburg
I wish we had a Home Depot closer than 40 minutes BUT if it's worth it I could always find the color I want and use Behr if it's worth it. My company uses Sherwin Williams paint (we have a local store) so I'm going to check to see if I can get a discount when the time comes.

I have the feeling diynetwork will be my friend over the next year.
I also just thought of something else. Get good rollers and don't over use them. Some of the best walls I have ever painted were in my theater and I used good rollers ONCE only per coat. Compared to other walls in my home that too seems to have made a difference.
Old 05-19-08, 12:20 PM   #15
Jeeden
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, your going to have a war on your hands here with the opinions on one paint vs the other.

I will say that I like Behr from home depot. It has been reviewed by consumer reports as a best buy for many years.

On price...memorial day is coming up and home depot almost always has a paint sale on holidays. If you miss this one, then they will probably have another one on the 4th of July. It's usually $5 rebate on 1 gallon cans and $20 rebate on 5 gallon cans. You can submit the rebates electronically and there is no limit.
Old 05-19-08, 12:25 PM   #16
Randy Miller III
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeden
Well, your going to have a war on your hands here with the opinions on one paint vs the other.

I will say that I like Behr from home depot. It has been reviewed by consumer reports as a best buy for many years.

On price...memorial day is coming up and home depot almost always has a paint sale on holidays. If you miss this one, then they will probably have another one on the 4th of July. It's usually $5 rebate on 1 gallon cans and $20 rebate on 5 gallon cans. You can submit the rebates electronically and there is no limit.
My wife and I used Behr paints on our new house, mainly since we heard good things about it and had a Home Depot gift card. The coverage and color was great overall, and we went through about 5 or 6 gallons total. With one room left to paint, we tried another brand at Lowe's just for kicks (Olympic) and found that it didn't hold up very well. We used an entire gallon for this small room (which would've taken maybe half that with Behr) and it didn't give us very even coverage. We got our money back and returned to Home Depot the next day.
Old 05-19-08, 12:26 PM   #17
rabbit77
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another vote for Behr. Too bad it's not a viable option for you.

BTW I just spent all day yesterday painting our living room from yellow to red (cranberry whip is the shade we went with). Red is a NIGHTMARE to get satisfactory results out of. Even with a tinted primer I put 4 coats on already and am still not happy with it. I used the entire gallon already on just the 3 walls we're painting and I need to make a run to get more paint on the way home today.

Edit: A quick internet search said to use a gray primer before putting on red. Damnit, the home depot guy sold me a pink primer.

Last edited by rabbit77; 05-19-08 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-19-08, 01:06 PM   #18
Jeeden
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit77
Another vote for Behr. Too bad it's not a viable option for you.

BTW I just spent all day yesterday painting our living room from yellow to red (cranberry whip is the shade we went with). Red is a NIGHTMARE to get satisfactory results out of. Even with a tinted primer I put 4 coats on already and am still not happy with it. I used the entire gallon already on just the 3 walls we're painting and I need to make a run to get more paint on the way home today.

Edit: A quick internet search said to use a gray primer before putting on red. Damnit, the home depot guy sold me a pink primer.

Yup, gray primer for the dark reds. Our home depot has even painted one of the support columns next to the paint department. It has that thick white paint/coating on it. Anyway, they have two 6 inch tall stripes around the pole. One has no primer behind the red and looks orange. One has gray primer behind the red and is a nice dark red. They are the same red paint, just different primers.

We did our dining room lower half in a dark red. We did one coat of gray primer (which they mix for you by the way) and then two coats of the red on top...one coat probably would have been fine, but since you have everything taped out and you have the paint...no reason to not put another coat on.
Old 05-19-08, 01:11 PM   #19
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

I painted my home theater with Behr and it was good paint. Got the job done. Can't really evaluate it too much because the theater is pitch black 99% of the time.

Just finished painting my living room and dining room with Benjamin Moore, and it is GREAT paint. I remarked several times how easily and evenly it went on.

My fiancee is an interior designer, and Benjamin Moore is all she uses.

My advice - Behr for the budget conscious, Moore if you can afford a little extra.
Old 05-19-08, 01:19 PM   #20
Maxwell Smart
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used valspar and it worked good, I did buy some cheaper brand paint and had to do 2 coats, but only needed one with valspar, I think its worth the extra money.
Old 05-19-08, 01:38 PM   #21
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Hero

My wife and I have painted every room but one in both our first house and our current house. She's nagging me about the last room but damn I'm burnt out on painting.

It really is all about preperation:
1. clean the walls with TSP
2. definitely use primer no matter what the current shade the wall is. It's designed for the paint to stick to, which helps immensely, unlike the paint that's already there.
3. take the time to tape up everything that needs it

We used Behr and it worked great. We also did red in one room with gray primer and I'll probably never do red again. What a major pain in the ass. Even with the gray it was hard to get an even coat of red to look right. Stay away from gloss, it looks good on the sample at the store, but it goes on like mud. Another PITA. Ditto for the "sandwash" texture paint. Another one I won't be doing ever again.

Now Playing
Infamous: SS | Almost Finished Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Old 05-19-08, 02:18 PM   #22
Jeeden
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
My wife and I have painted every room but one in both our first house and our current house. She's nagging me about the last room but damn I'm burnt out on painting.

It really is all about preperation:
1. clean the walls with TSP
2. definitely use primer no matter what the current shade the wall is. It's designed for the paint to stick to, which helps immensely, unlike the paint that's already there.
3. take the time to tape up everything that needs it

We used Behr and it worked great. We also did red in one room with gray primer and I'll probably never do red again. What a major pain in the ass. Even with the gray it was hard to get an even coat of red to look right. Stay away from gloss, it looks good on the sample at the store, but it goes on like mud. Another PITA. Ditto for the "sandwash" texture paint. Another one I won't be doing ever again.

Wow, you put gloss on the walls? We either put eggshell or satin on the walls and semi-gloss on the trim. I actually don't think I've ever put any gloss on anything it's so thick and shiny....semi-gloss is plenty.
Old 05-19-08, 02:24 PM   #23
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

I like Behr, rooms I did 10 years ago still look fine and the remodel I did last year was mostly with Behr paint and some Valspar. The Valspar is not bad at all, I would not drive an extra 30 miles to get Behr if Valspar was only a 2 mile drive.

I have never used Ralph Lauren paints. I used Benjamin Moore once and would never use it again. I have used Duron once, and although it is a fine paint, it is not worth the extra money over Behr
Old 05-19-08, 04:05 PM   #24
Flashback
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For cost, Behr is great - used it in a few closets.
Have used Benjamin and Sherman on main rooms and both have been great. I will also add that I did not like the R. Lauren paint that I used on one room a while ago, which reminds me I have to paint the bedroom very soon. Just from my experience.
Old 05-19-08, 08:05 PM   #25
andicus
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have to do some painting, and have done some spackling where there was an ornamental wood shelf that ran along an 18 foot wall about 1.25 feet below the ceiling. What I'm wondering is will this spackled area (about 1.5 inches high) stand out, since the spackling compound is sanded smooth, and the rest of the wall has a very slight non-smooth textured appearance from the original paint. If so, will any kind of primer help in this respect (I doubt it), or is it going to depend on the paint we use to cover it, or is it hopeless?
Sponsored Links