Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-29-08, 05:09 AM   #1
chino77
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

anyone ever buy a side of beef?

i always hear its cheaper to buy a side or 1/2 or 1/4. im looking online and i dont see any places that have cheap prices. i guess if you eat alot of t-bones and fillets. than maybe its a good deal. has anyone here ever done it? know of a good place that ships to chicago? or is close to chicago?

mostly l eat ground beef, rib eyes and roasts so if their are good places online to buy that in bulk for cheap it would be cool too.
Old 04-29-08, 06:05 AM   #2
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We have before, as a family when I was younger. Our family and our Uncles would split a whole cow. It was more of a direct thing, either from the farmer or butcher, probably the latter.

Ordering online and having it shipped may defeat the purpose of the bargain.
Old 04-29-08, 06:48 AM   #3
FiveO
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just bought a 1/4 2 weeks ago. I have a chest freezer in the garage that stores it.

It usually lasts me about 6-8 months and I buy it from a co-worker who farms part time. I know the quality of the beef which is key and why I do it this way. It costs me like $400 for 75 pounds of ground beef and a bunch of steaks, stew meat and roasts....but its worth it if you ask me.

And I apologize...don't know any areas around Chicago to purchase a whole or part.
Old 04-29-08, 06:57 AM   #4
monkey42

I'm buying a 1/4 cow in a few weeks here. My co-worker just emailed me a pic of the one I'll be getting.
Old 04-30-08, 10:01 AM   #5
Krayzie
DVD Talk Gold Edition

about the size of an alternator?
Old 04-30-08, 10:11 AM   #6
tasha99
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I bought 1/4 when I lived in Hawaii years ago because food was so expensive there. It was a pretty good deal--I got the beef and a whole bunch of free add ons, so our freezer was packed with all kinds of meat that lasted for many, many months. We had to go to the butcher shop though and they loaded our car up. Shipping a bunch of frozen beef just seems like it would be a waste of money.
Old 04-30-08, 10:33 AM   #7
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

We buy 1/2 every year. I love steak. Just had some with some morel mushrooms my boys found on our property.

What price are you seeing? I generally pay around $1.75-$2 a pound cut and wrapped, but that includes T-bones, etc.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 04-30-08, 10:34 AM   #8
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

Doesn't anyone else find it hilarious that it's difficult to buy a side of beef in Chicago?
Old 04-30-08, 11:11 AM   #9
chino77
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i never said it was difficult. i was just looking online and all i saw were prices of around 4 bucks a pound.
Old 04-30-08, 12:45 PM   #10
Sean O'Hara
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Doesn't anyone else find it hilarious that it's difficult to buy a side of beef in Chicago?
One does not ask too many questions at Chicago slaughter houses if one knows what's good for him. Capice?
Old 05-01-08, 08:28 PM   #11
mndtrp
DVD Talk Legend

I used to buy 1/4 cow each year, with this year being the first time I've bought 1/2. The best part of it is knowing where the beef came from, and how it was raised. The next best part, is getting the cuts exactly how you want them.

I can't recall how much the 1/2 cost, but I think it was around $800, maybe a bit more. Finding a local butcher is relatively easy, especially if you ask around. Try a couple of their steaks before purchasing an entire 1/2.
Old 05-01-08, 09:08 PM   #12
domino harvey

Sometimes I don't finish my burger at the restaurant and I put it in a little Styrofoam box and that goes in my fridge.