Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-07-08, 01:27 PM   #1
atari2600
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

do you shred?

i never used to care - id just basically tear all my junk mail in half and throw it in the garbage. but when i met my GF she is a shredder - she is afraid of identity theft and someone might go through the garbage and find names/addresses/CC applications/etc and do bad things. so she got me all paraniod about it and i started shredding.

the problem is i get so much junk mail i cant keep up. i have piles of paper on it with my info that is suppose to be shredded but its too much. id want to just throw it in a pile and burn it...seems quicker but i know i cant do that.

do you guys shred your documents and stuff like that?
Old 04-07-08, 01:33 PM   #2
wendersfan

Yes. We keep a shredder by the table where we sort incoming mail. I get a special kick out of shredding birthday cards, a la Gordon Gekko.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 04-07-08, 01:37 PM   #3
spainlinx0
DVD Talk Legend

Yup, I love shredding stuff. And yes, I also shred birthday cards.
Old 04-07-08, 01:39 PM   #4
WCChiCubsFan
DVD Talk Special Edition

I shred all unsolicited preapproved credit card applications and anything that has my name and an account number like utility bills and credit card statements.

Regular junk mail simply gets thrown in the recycle bin.

Last edited by WCChiCubsFan; 04-07-08 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-07-08, 01:41 PM   #5
Brian Shannon
DVD Talk Legend

I open my mail over the shredder
Old 04-07-08, 01:52 PM   #6
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder how necessary this is. I remember reading an article about a guy who tore a pre-approved credit card application in half, taped it back together, then sent it in and actually got the card. Partly because of that I do shred every application that comes in, but I wonder about the ones that happen to not find their way to my mailbox because of some minor address error?
Old 04-07-08, 01:53 PM   #7
Jeeden
DVD Talk Special Edition

Names and addresses who cares, but as said above I shred bills and invoices with account numbers when I write the check for them. I also shred the credit card apps. The rest just goes in the trash. There is no need to shred something with your name or address on it, they can get that from anywhere. I just don't want them to have the account numbers or be able to open up credit cards with the applications that come.

Edit:

My advice is to shred as you go, don't let it accumulate. If you do, then make a big rubbermaid box for it and then take it to the community shred (they have them at schools around here every 6 months or so) and they will throw it in a commercial shred truck for you.
Old 04-07-08, 01:54 PM   #8
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

I took my name off of the credit report mailing databases about a year ago. I don't get any personally identifiable mail coming to me besides my name and address which is a public record so I don't shread any of my junk mail anymore.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 04-07-08, 02:06 PM   #9
wishbone
DVD Talk Legend

Old 04-07-08, 02:11 PM   #10
Walter Neff
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbon3

It took nine posts for someone to post this? You Otters are slipping.
Old 04-07-08, 02:12 PM   #11
General Zod
DVD Talk Ruler

I shred everything. Old receipts, bills, dvd's, cd's, beef.. and anything with my name on it. I am a shreddin' maniac! It isn't so much that I'm afraid of identity theft as much as I just don't like the idea that someone might be interested in snoopin' around in my personal business.
Old 04-07-08, 02:41 PM   #12
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

i shred to confetti... my shredder alto does credit cards and CD's to confetti...

it takes 40 sheets at a time and cd's... so i can drop an envelope or stack of papers in no problem... and confetti takes up less room so the 5 gallon bucket in it fills slowly...

bear in mind if you shred to spaghetti, it's easy to get info off the strip stuff... try to get a confetti shredder...

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 04-07-08, 02:56 PM   #13
Jeeden
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse

bear in mind if you shred to spaghetti, it's easy to get info off the strip stuff... try to get a confetti shredder...

I didn't realize they still sold strip shredders anymore. I thought the only difference in them all these days were how many sheets at once and the size of the confetti
Old 04-07-08, 03:11 PM   #14
Mankal
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anything with my name/address gets shredded
Old 04-07-08, 03:14 PM   #15
Mordred
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Jason Becker!
Old 04-07-08, 03:17 PM   #16
aintnosin
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Allegedy, they have invented a scanner than can read documents from a confetti scanner. Of course, it costs $100,000 or so, so it's not like every identity thief is going to have one. You'd have to steal Donal Trump's and David Beckham's identities to make it worthwhile.
Old 04-07-08, 03:58 PM   #17
prp2

I don't have a shredder, I have a burn box.
Old 04-07-08, 04:07 PM   #18
EdTheRipper
DVD Talk Legend

I shred everything.
Old 04-07-08, 04:51 PM   #19
Walker Boh
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I shred everything.
I assumed you just ripped it up.
Old 04-07-08, 05:28 PM   #20
big whoppa
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeden
I didn't realize they still sold strip shredders anymore. I thought the only difference in them all these days were how many sheets at once and the size of the confetti
I still have and use a strip shredder. The cross cutter ones would jam a lot. Besides, who would go through the trouble of reconstructing or finding info after I've mixed the strips up? Mainly, I shred anything with personal info and account numbers like receipts, bills, CC statements, CC pre-approvals. I need to opt out of the pre-approvals.
Old 04-07-08, 05:54 PM   #21
shizawn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been thinking of getting a shredder. I have a lot of documents in a box that I would like to get rid of and a shredder would do the trick.
Old 04-07-08, 05:57 PM   #22
dick_grayson
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

that's actually what I thought this thread was gonna be about.

anyway, I use my fireplace to burn any junk mail or crap I'd shred.
Old 04-07-08, 06:19 PM   #23
Blade
Uber Member

I shred any offer that I wouldn't want someone to sign me up for. I keep paid bills for a few years before shredding those.

If I get behind or need to do it in bulk then I bring it to my office where we have a shredding service.

My DVDs and HT
Old 04-07-08, 06:24 PM   #24
Boba Fett
DVD Talk Reviewer

Old 04-07-08, 06:46 PM   #25
atari2600
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeden
Names and addresses who cares, but as said above I shred bills and invoices with account numbers when I write the check for them. I also shred the credit card apps. The rest just goes in the trash. There is no need to shred something with your name or address on it, they can get that from anywhere. I just don't want them to have the account numbers or be able to open up credit cards with the applications that come.

Edit:

My advice is to shred as you go, don't let it accumulate. If you do, then make a big rubbermaid box for it and then take it to the community shred (they have them at schools around here every 6 months or so) and they will throw it in a commercial shred truck for you.
had no idea these existed. how would i find out where my local one is - phone book?
Sponsored Links