Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-07-08, 09:26 AM   #1
bishop2knight
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How important is a 2-car garage to home buyers?

We've found a house to buy that fits our budget, is in a good area, and pretty much has everything we need/want from a house (size, bedrooms, bath, etc.).

The only strike against this house is that it only has a one-car garage. For us, this isn't a big deal because I can park on the street or driveway. However, we're worried about selling it down the road. The house has an unfinished basement that we'll eventually finish. So the current 3-bedroom house may eventually become a 4- or 5-bedroom house, which would mean it would become a 5-bedroom house with a one-car garage.

Should we let the garage issue hold us back from buying this house?
Old 04-07-08, 09:32 AM   #2
dadaluholla
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's very important. I think you need 2-car minimum, preferably 3. Would it be possible to build a seperate detached garage?
Old 04-07-08, 09:34 AM   #3
neiname
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think it is more important in cold weather climates, is the house cheaper now because of it so it shouldn't matter down the road.
Old 04-07-08, 09:36 AM   #4
Brian Shannon
DVD Talk Legend

I think it is important. I wish I had a three car garage.
Old 04-07-08, 09:37 AM   #5
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

the rule with home values is simple

in a good market no one cares which features your home has or is missing. people are just manic about buying and not missing any gains

in a bad market people will be picky and will only look at houses with the best features
Old 04-07-08, 09:40 AM   #6
orangecrush
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
I think it depends on the neighborhood. Where I live, there are only 2 or so houses with a 2 car garage. Many houses don't have garages at all. There are also some areas around town with no garages or 1 car garage that are insanely expensive because of their school district. It snows quite a bit here, so it is defiantly nice to have a garage.

gamertag: IAMNOTwiththem
Old 04-07-08, 09:43 AM   #7
Palaver
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The next house I buy will have a two car garage... period. It's the one feature I wish I hadn't settled for on our current house.
Old 04-07-08, 09:48 AM   #8
bishop2knight
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmmm, that stinks to hear that most everyone thinks it's important. This house is the smallest in the neighborhood, and thus the only one without a two-car garage. Many have detached garages, which is something this lot doesn't have room for.

Seriously, this house is spot on in every other way. Just was never certain that a garage would be a deal breaker.
Old 04-07-08, 09:53 AM   #9
pyro383

I have a 2 car garage after growing up in a home that had a 2 car and then getting married and starting in a co-op with no garage. Garages are key and almost paramount to baths and kitchens. Thankfully I have a f-150 that barely fits in the garage, so on my side is all the tools and such. My next home, we will be looking for a 3 car garage.

One of my favorite things ever. Man, the day some syrup accidentally crept across the plate onto my bacon was a new milestone in the life of my eating habits - Thor Simpson
Old 04-07-08, 09:53 AM   #10
Brian Shannon
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop2knight
Hmmmm, that stinks to hear that most everyone thinks it's important. This house is the smallest in the neighborhood, and thus the only one without a two-car garage. Many have detached garages, which is something this lot doesn't have room for.

Seriously, this house is spot on in every other way. Just was never certain that a garage would be a deal breaker.
How long are you planning to stay in the house?

When I bought my current house (23 years ago) I never contemplated leaving. Even now, I will probably still be in my current house for another 10 years. I bought the house I wanted. We saw alot of people in our neighborhood cut corners, ie., one car garages, no basements etc., to save money.

If you are planning on staying for a while and it suits all your needs and you don't care about the garage, then buy it.
Old 04-07-08, 09:57 AM   #11
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It all depends on you and your wants.

Many people really want a whirlpool tub, we have one and used it ~3 times in 6 years.

A 2-car garage is high on my list, preferably 3.
Our next home we are looking at, we want on a lake. That may take precedence over a garage, but it will depend on the house.

I hate cleaning snow off my car early in the morning, so I need a garge. My ex-neighbors had a 3-car garage, and never once parked a car in there the ~3 years they lived in the house. They preferred to let their vehicles idle in the driveway for nearly an hour before leaving in the morning.

With the garage not being a big issue for you, having the smallest house would make it more or less appealing when you go to sell.

Does your basement have egress windows, thus allowing the finished rooms to be counted as actual bedrooms?
Old 04-07-08, 10:05 AM   #12
bishop2knight
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonw9
Does your basement have egress windows, thus allowing the finished rooms to be counted as actual bedrooms?
Good point. Those bedrooms won't actually count as far as that goes.

I'm not sure how long we plan to live in our next house. We planned to live only a few years where we are now, and it's coming up on seven years. My guess is that if we chose to have kids, we'd stay in this new house at least that long, if not longer. It's in a good area for schools, has a good yard, etc., so the house would be great for a small, growing family.

I'm just not sure how likely it is to find a house in our price range with a two-car garage and everything else we're looking for. Of the 20 houses we've looked at, none have a two-car spot. Well, one has a detached garage, but we'd have to walk through our backyard to get to our cars (that house didn't have all the other stuff we're looking for anyway).
Old 04-07-08, 10:05 AM   #13
dadaluholla
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We have a large riding mower, which is another reason the multi-car garage is nice, even if you don't have multiple cars.
Old 04-07-08, 10:09 AM   #14
bishop2knight
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
We have a large riding mower, which is another reason the multi-car garage is nice, even if you don't have multiple cars.
The house actually already has a shed (it's a little used-up, but it looks to get the job done).
Old 04-07-08, 10:13 AM   #15
Jeeden
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop2knight

As a general rule, it's not good to be the largest/smallest/least expensive/most expensive house in a neighborhood. People will see the smallest house and say...what can I get for a little more money which will be a second garage, or they will see the most expensive and say, if I want to save 15K, what will I give up? It's usually worth it.

I think the perfect spot is to be in the top 25% of size and price (when selling).

If you can add on another garage though and finish the basement you have a pretty good opportunity of putting some sweat equity into the place.
Old 04-07-08, 10:30 AM   #16
AGuyNamedMike
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeden
If you can add on another garage though and finish the basement you have a pretty good opportunity of putting some sweat equity into the place.
That's what I'm thinking too. If the house makes you happy in all other ways, get it. Finish the basement. Convert the 1-car garage into something else, like a gym/man room, whatever, and build a 2 or 3 car semi-detached garage.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 04-07-08, 10:50 AM   #17
bishop2knight
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
That's what I'm thinking too. If the house makes you happy in all other ways, get it. Finish the basement. Convert the 1-car garage into something else, like a gym/man room, whatever, and build a 2 or 3 car semi-detached garage.
The basement we can do. The detached garage is not an option. The layout of the houses on the street is tight enough that there's no way we could get a 2-car garage on the lot.
Old 04-07-08, 10:53 AM   #18
atlantamoi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have one and love it. But the neighborhoods we are thinking about moving to closer to downtown with affordable ($350-$400k), older homes don't have garages. If they do, it's just a shed. I'd miss having one, but if it's a desirable location and all the neighbors go without, I doubt it's as much of a deal for resale.
Old 04-07-08, 11:30 AM   #19
PrincessT
DVD Talk Special Edition

We have the only 3 car garage on the block and everyone is envious. It is so so so so so so nice to pull both cars in and still have ample storage space for the patio set, grill, snowblower, lawn mower, junk--whatever needs to be stored. And when we have company depending on how we position everything, they can usually pull their vehicle in as well.

Wii Code: 3634 4474 0968 4351
Old 04-07-08, 11:35 AM   #20
Randy Miller III
DVD Talk Reviewer

Never had a garage. Not saying I wouldn't mind one, but it's nowhere near the top of my "must-have features" list.
Old 04-07-08, 11:35 AM   #21
Deftones
DVD Talk God

I wouldn't buy a house with a one-car garage.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 04-07-08, 11:42 AM   #22
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

like everything else, it depends

You can't simply ask the question like you did because of course everyone is going to answer, yes it is important.

The question should be more like, would you take a 1 car garage and save $50k or would you spend the $50k extra to get a house with a 2 car garage.

Nothing is free and of course a house with a two car garage is going to get more money.

In a down market, the house with the 2 car garage may sell faster, but I assure you the price will still be higher than one with a 1 car garage all other factors held equal.
Old 04-07-08, 11:43 AM   #23
slop101
DVD Talk Legend

I won't buy a house unless it has a garage for my yachts.
Old 04-07-08, 12:09 PM   #24
printerati
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Since it's the only house in the neighborhood without a 2-car garage, that might be a concern for me. I admit, however, that I have never looked into "newer" construction.

In our neighborhood, most of the houses were built in the 20's and 30's, and garages (along with bathrooms and closets) apparently weren't huge priorities. Both of our houses have 1-car garages, but we (and most of the neighbors who do have garages) use them for storage, and park the cars in the driveway or on the street instead. Brushing snow off the cars isn't a huge deal since I have to worry about it only three or four times each year.
Old 04-07-08, 12:11 PM   #25
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

In this market*, a 2-car garage versus a 1-car garage adds roughly $10,000-$15,000 to the value of the house.

* According to a recent appraisal of a 1-car garage. Our market is sort of in the middle: not too cheap, not too expensive. Median house price is somewhere in the $200-250s I think.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Sponsored Links