Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-05-08, 04:43 PM   #1
Cardiff Giant11
DVD Talk Limited Edition

More on my basement issue aka sealing an asphalt driveway

Ok so I've had a few issues with water coming into my basement with the crazy amount of heavy rain we've had here in CT this month. One side of the house had a crack in the basement wall. I ripped out the drywall and had Basement Systems come and seal the crack using their Flexispan method. I then bought some flexible downspout extensions to let the water flow further from the house. I also did a bit of regrading and will do more once the ground thaws. We got over 3/4" of rain in a matter of a couple of hours this morning and I'm happy to report that side of the basement was bone dry. Very pleased with the work they did.

Now, the other side of the basement the foundation runs right along the driveway. There may be a crack in that wall as well but unfortunately there is baseboard heating with a copper pipe on that side and the Basement systems method required jackhammering the floor so that would be a big undertaking. Looking outside, it looks like the spot where the water is coming in has been patched and may need to be re-patched(it looks worn a bit and is flat as opposed to sloping slightly away from the foundation). I bought another downspout extension to divert the nearby downspouts water from this area but with the heavy rain we had today that wasn't enough and my carpet got a little damp (nothing major, I sucked up not even half a gallon of water and it's now totally dry almost).

so my question, any recommendations on sealing this? I think sealing that area of the driveway is my only reasonable option since I can't jackhammer the driveway to dig down and can't really remove the baseboard heating and piping. A buddy of mine recommended roofing tar and building a slope up in the spot as roofing tar works well for waterproofing. Does that sound about right? I'm about 90% of the way to having my water issues totally fixed so hopefully this final 10% isn't too bad!

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 03-05-08 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-05-08, 05:18 PM   #2
SoSpacey
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am going through a very similar thing you are right now. My once dry basement is now getting water.

I live in a Victorian from 1890 with a brownstone foundation and we just put on an addition and water is coming in where the new and old meet (the new is just standard block).

My contractor told me that redoing my driveway should fix the problem as the asphalt will come right up to the house. Before they do it he is going to dig the area out near that spot and use a waterproofing tar on the foundation wall.

Between the tar and the asphalt, I hope that helps. The reason we did a full basement and not a crawl space is for a dedicated theater room. What a waste it would be if I cant do it now.
www.facebook.com/joepapeophotography
Old 03-05-08, 05:25 PM   #3
Cardiff Giant11
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSpacey
I am going through a very similar thing you are right now. My once dry basement is now getting water.

I live in a Victorian from 1890 with a brownstone foundation and we just put on an addition and water is coming in where the new and old meet (the new is just standard block).

My contractor told me that redoing my driveway should fix the problem as the asphalt will come right up to the house. Before they do it he is going to dig the area out near that spot and use a waterproofing tar on the foundation wall.

Between the tar and the asphalt, I hope that helps. The reason we did a full basement and not a crawl space is for a dedicated theater room. What a waste it would be if I cant do it now.
Cool thanks for the reply. My house is a 60's ranch with a poured concrete foundation and the driveway meets the foundation all along one side (my hosue runs length wise not width wise like a typical ranch). Sounds like my buddy was spot on. Hopefully that'll take care of it and I'll be all set.
Good luck with your issue, a friend of mine's parents added an addition to their house about 10 years ago and in the process it totally messed up the grading of the lot and caused really bad water issues in their basement. They fixed it and redid the basement a few years ago so I'm sure a good contractor can take care of the issue.