Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-16-08, 10:13 AM   #1
calhoun07
DVD Talk Legend

If the cashier doesn't offer you a bag...

Some stores may not offer bags for items in certain situations if you just get one or two items. I know in retail jobs I've worked in if somebody was just buying a candy bar or a bottle of pop or both, I would never offer a bag. I wouldn't want a bag in that situation, but I've known customers to act like I am violating their civil rights if I don't offer them a bag. They will say, "Can I get a bag?" and just stand there like a paraplegic until you reach over and give them a bag for their two or three items.

Sometimes I am not offered a bag, but if want one I just reach over and take one and put my stuff in a bag and leave with no problems. It's amazing to me that people get OFFENDED if they aren't offered a bag. If you want one, take one. Why hassle the cashier because they either forgot or just weren't supposed to offer you a bag?

Same goes with double bagging. I don't take it for granted the cashier or bagger will just know what stuff I prefer double bagged (I live in an apartment so I have to walk up stairs, so if I get boxes that are poking out on the sides of a plastic bag, I want a double bag because I've had them rip on me before I got to my apartment) and if they don't double bag something, I just grab an extra bag and slide the other bag in and it's not a big deal. I don't stand there like a helpless member of society and act like the whole bag area is forbidden for customer's to touch when it's pointed out for customer's to get to.
Old 02-16-08, 10:27 AM   #2
DeltaSigChi4
Suspended

I always reject bags, unless I have a bunch of items that I cannot carry.

E
Old 02-16-08, 10:51 AM   #3
Timber
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What's worse? Asking for a bag or reaching into the cashiers "office" to take one? I think it's better to ask for one.
Old 02-16-08, 10:59 AM   #4
TomOpus
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think I've ever not been offered a bag. Even if my item was too large, they would still let me know. I think it's just common courtesy offer a bag even for a couple small items. You never know if someone is gonna walk into another store.

And I also agree with Timber.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 02-16-08, 11:05 AM   #5
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

Not offering a bag? First the douche bag cashiers don't take my stuff out of my basket, and then they want me to hand carry everything! I should kick all their asses!

VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL
Old 02-16-08, 11:11 AM   #6
wishbone
DVD Talk Legend

It is good customer service to have the cashier ask whether the customer wants a bag or not.
Old 02-16-08, 11:33 AM   #7
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4
I always reject bags, unless I have a bunch of items that I cannot carry.

E
Old 02-16-08, 11:41 AM   #8
Eplicon
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sometimes it's not much of an issue. Although for some reason, every time I'm asked if I need a bag, I don't, and when I do need a bag, I'm not offered one.
Old 02-16-08, 11:46 AM   #9
Amator
DVD Talk Special Edition

I usually keep a few Greenbags in the car and take one of them in with me. Usually I get a .10 discount for bringing my own bag.
Old 02-16-08, 11:57 AM   #10
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbon3
It is good customer service
What is this strange term? Do you think it is still the 80's or something?
Old 02-16-08, 12:34 PM   #11
DVDMagic
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In all honesty, I've got no problem with even bagging my own groceries if needs be.

The local Lowe's Foods we go to is a pleasantplace to shop (clean, tidy, freindly staff), they take all the groceries out of the cart for me. So if they're really busy and all the other check outs are occupied with "baggers" then I'll grab the bags that are available and start bagging my own. They always thank me afterwards so it's no big deal.
Old 02-16-08, 12:52 PM   #12
matta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDMagic
The local Lowe's Foods we go to is a pleasantplace to shop (clean, tidy, freindly staff), they take all the groceries out of the cart for me. So if they're really busy and all the other check outs are occupied with "baggers" then I'll grab the bags that are available and start bagging my own. They always thank me afterwards so it's no big deal.
I do that all the time at various grocery stores but have never been thanked.
Old 02-16-08, 01:03 PM   #13
ukywyldcat
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If I'm not offered a bag, I request a triple bag, and, depending on what they do with my receipt, I tell them to do the opposite. So, if they try to hand me the receipt, I tell them to put it in the bag, and if they just put it in the bag in the first place, I tell them I want it for my wallet. Of course, I let them drop the receipt before telling them this, so they have to go fish for it. I then request a bagboy help me out to my car. All this, even if I only bought a small item, simply because they tried to get around offering me a bag. If I feel like being extra douchey about it, I tell the person who helped me to my car not to look directly at the sun as I wave them away from me.
Old 02-16-08, 01:09 PM   #14
spainlinx0
DVD Talk Legend

I always bag my own stuff. Sometimes I get thanked, sometimes I don't. I don't really care either way. I don't mind bagging it myself. However, I cannot stand it when someone stands there and watches the cashier bag, and doesn't lift a finger. It amazes me everytime.
Old 02-16-08, 01:33 PM   #15
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
If the cashier doesn't offer you a bag...
get ready for the show 'cause i'm gonna go OFF on that bastard...

i mean a 'pull out all the stops and wind up in jail' rampage...

no bag offering sons a bitches...

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 02-16-08, 01:42 PM   #16
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Now, the realquestion is, what if the fugly bird you pick up and bring home after a sloppy night at the pub doesn't offer to use a bag?
Old 02-16-08, 01:52 PM   #17
Mankal
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I want a bag, I ask for one, if they are giving me a bag and I don't want one, I'll say so. No problems.
Old 02-16-08, 02:50 PM   #18
Timber
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankal
If I want a bag, I ask for one, if they are giving me a bag and I don't want one, I'll say so. No problems.
No, it can't be that simple can it?
Old 02-16-08, 02:55 PM   #19
dtcarson
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If I have something like a milk jug or 12 pack, I prefer if they ask if I want a bag. I'll usually say no. If they don't offer, and I need one, then I'll just ask.

I bag my own stuff only if I go to the self checkout, and I only go there if I have fewer than say 10 items, or the other lines are ridiculously slow, especially if I'm at a more expensive store.
Old 02-16-08, 03:05 PM   #20
islandclaws
DVD Talk Legend

Unless I have a lot of groceries, I always decline a bag. Especially if I'm somewhere like CC or BB and only buying DVDs. It's a waste because I'm going to throw it away as soon as I get out of the store. I'm almost never not asked if I want a bag.

Horror Movie Challenge:
Old 02-16-08, 03:30 PM   #21
calhoun07
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber
What's worse? Asking for a bag or reaching into the cashiers "office" to take one? I think it's better to ask for one.
I guess I don't get where you are visualizing this "office." I am not talking about the bags being in some sacred area that the customer's cannot or should not cross. They are on extended prongs at the end of the register, or by the door. Quick and easy for anybody to grab them. In the situations I am talking about, the moran who cannot grab their own bag actually causes the cashier to have to reach further or kind of go out of their way to grab it. Yeah, some of them have a collection of bags in their little area where their register is and all, and if that's the ONLY place where you see the bags, you're going to have to ask. But I am talking about situations where the bags are there for you to grab yourself.
Old 02-16-08, 03:37 PM   #22
ukywyldcat

Here is a fine example of the cashier in her office. On the end of the checkout, there are usually plastic bags for bagging. That is not the cashier's office. That is the bagboy's office. At my store, the bagboys are all retarded.

Frankly, I don't ever, ever, go into anyone's office and do their work for them. And I don't break that rule at the checkout. The cost of these people performing their duties in their office is figured into my purchases. I'm paying for that, and damnit I'm going to get mine. Not only that, the retarded kid doing the groceries is making his contribution. I shouldn't interfere with that.

Last edited by ukywyldcat; 02-16-08 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-16-08, 07:21 PM   #23
amplified
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll pass on a bag for just a few items but I always want a bag for things like milk or O.J.

Most cashiers think if it has a handle you don't need a bag. But I'm one of those types that crams as many bags in my hands so that I can get everything in the house in one trip. Large items not in bags even with handles just don't work for me
Old 02-17-08, 09:25 AM   #24
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

I can't believe you offer your customers such poor service that they have to wait a significant amount of time for you to respond to a reasonable request for a bag. It's not for you to make judgment, is for you to do your job with professionalism.

I've asked for a bag for a few items. Maybe it's easier to carry a bag. Maybe I don't want to put a candy bar in my pocket. Maybe I don't want to use both of my hands to carry something. Maybe I'm already carrying something. Maybe I just want a damn bag.

None of that matters to you. I ask for a bag and it's your job to give me one. It's not my job to do yours.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 02-17-08, 02:35 PM   #25
SFranke

Quote:
Originally Posted by calhoun07
They will say, "Can I get a bag?" and just stand there like a paraplegic until you reach over and give them a bag for their two or three items.
They collapse into a heap of limbs?
Sponsored Links