Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-07-08, 06:35 PM   #1
Oraphus
DVD Talk Special Edition

School me on Mattresses...

My mattress is developing a sink hole in the middle.. so it seems like it's about time for a new one.

Some basic questions:
1. do i need to replace the box spring with the mattress? When i googled mattress buying most sites said you do. I can't actually get a new box spring in to my 2nd floor bedroom, other then using a window (don't ask, but its a major pain). Is it really going to kill my mattress life to use the old box spring?

2. What coil count should i look for? what coil gage? (I am about 190 pounds.)

3. Any particular brand/ materials i should look for or stay away from?

4. i do have a memory foam topper that i can use on the new mattress... so foam mattress is not required.. and i am primarily looking for a mattress that will last.

5. Finally i don't want to break the bank so wold like to find a queen mattress for under $400... any suggestions on where to look?
Old 02-07-08, 06:42 PM   #2
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1)I don't think you need a new box spring, but I don't really know if not getting a new on will save much money. As for getting up the stairs, you could look into getting a two-piece box.

2) I would say get the highest count/gauge you can afford.

3) I don't know

4) My next mattress will be memory foam.

5) In Michigan we have Art Van which always is having a sale. I don't know what what Hell has for discount furniture stores (Unless you are in Hell, Michigan, then go to Art Van).
Old 02-07-08, 06:58 PM   #3
Jacoby Ellsbury
DVD Talk Special Edition

"School me on Mattresses... "

Thats what she said
Old 02-07-08, 07:07 PM   #4
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Yea, I'm looking as well. Same problem as the OP. Costco seems to have a good deal as does the W Hotel site. But I don't know if I want pillow top, plush top, or what??

Home Theater Build
Old 02-07-08, 07:14 PM   #5
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Yea, I'm looking as well. Same problem as the OP. Costco seems to have a good deal as does the W Hotel site. But I don't know if I want pillow top, plush top, or what??

I forgot about the W mattresses. I think I would go that route if I were looking now. I believe the only difference is the top layer, which you can duplicate with one of their mattress pads.
Old 02-07-08, 07:21 PM   #6
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

But what is the difference between "plush" and "pillow"? Memory I know, but the others?????

Home Theater Build
Old 02-07-08, 07:32 PM   #7
Oraphus
DVD Talk Special Edition

I read some reviewes about the W mattresses that they started to sag after about a year.. + they're around $700 which is too much
Old 02-07-08, 07:39 PM   #8
briank
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have the W heavenly bed mattress and love it. Got it at the W store online with the 40% off code.
Old 02-07-08, 07:54 PM   #9
kantonburg
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You just missed Costco's January mattress sale. Sam's usually has great prices on mattresses all year round.
Old 02-07-08, 08:36 PM   #10
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

i bought the sealy for $1200 that was the hardest matress with the pillow top on it. no complaints

had it for 5 years and it's still like new
Old 02-07-08, 09:09 PM   #11
Septemberbaby
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No other advice than to tell you all you need to be flipping your mattresses.
That will avoid the sink hole. I flip ours at least every 4-6 weeks. I don't care if they tell you that you don't have to with the newer models... I still would.
Flip those mattresses!
Old 02-07-08, 11:13 PM   #12
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Oh we have been flipping the bed. Every month if not more often. We obviously bought a shitty bed. No doubt. I don't remember where we bought it. And it is not a name brand.

This seems like a really good deal. $700 for the set, Plush top Sealy.

Home Theater Build
Old 02-08-08, 01:32 AM   #13
SPiRAL
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have a 'Napa Firm' by Simmons. $800 and worth every penny. Hard not stiff, soft not lumpy, every person who lays on my bed always tells me how comfortable it is and usually knock out. There a places here in LA called Sit & Sleep the owner is in the commercials and says we'll beat anyone else's price or your mattress is FREEEEEEEEE! I saw him at a Laker game and shook his hand for selling me the best damn bed I've ever had.
Old 02-08-08, 08:43 AM   #14
SoSpacey

I have a W mattress and LOVE it. Had it for almost 2 years now and there is no sign of a sink hole or any change whatsoever in the mattress.

I would go plush over pillow. Eventually the pillow top will start to have memory of the person sleeping on it. When it does, there is nothing you can do about it.

The plush top looks like a standard mattress with nothing attached. Add the W feather bed and you have the actual W bed from the hotel. If the feathers start to wear down or lose their fluff, you just spend another $100 on a feather topper.

How anyone could say $700 for a mattress set is too much is beyond me. You spend 8 hours a day on the mattress, get a good one.

The W does not and should be not flipped, ever. They use smart coils, or something like that, where they are firmest in the places you need them to be firm and softest in areas like where your feet go.

We had an old standard set that my in-laws paid $1500 for...then we went to a memory foam and my wife HATED it (i liked it though), and eventually settled on the W bed and we sleep beautifully every night.
www.facebook.com/joepapeophotography
Old 02-08-08, 09:04 AM   #15
Jacoby Ellsbury
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got a queen size sealey a few months ago at Sam's club. Pillow top. I think it was $500-600 with the boxspring. Loading it on top of my camry by myself and tying it down with rope and 50 ft extension cords was a blast. Driving down a 50MPH road in Florida for about 8 miles just before a storm came and the winds were picking up.
Old 02-08-08, 10:42 AM   #16
Superman07
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSpacey
I have a W mattress and LOVE it. Had it for almost 2 years now and there is no sign of a sink hole or any change whatsoever in the mattress.

I would go plush over pillow. Eventually the pillow top will start to have memory of the person sleeping on it. When it does, there is nothing you can do about it.

The plush top looks like a standard mattress with nothing attached. Add the W feather bed and you have the actual W bed from the hotel. If the feathers start to wear down or lose their fluff, you just spend another $100 on a feather topper.

How anyone could say $700 for a mattress set is too much is beyond me. You spend 8 hours a day on the mattress, get a good one.

The W does not and should be not flipped, ever. They use smart coils, or something like that, where they are firmest in the places you need them to be firm and softest in areas like where your feet go.

We had an old standard set that my in-laws paid $1500 for...then we went to a memory foam and my wife HATED it (i liked it though), and eventually settled on the W bed and we sleep beautifully every night.
You mean this?

http://www.whotelsthestore.com/item....t_subcat_id=10
Old 02-08-08, 10:53 AM   #17
cdollaz
DVD Talk Legend

Face down, ass up. That's the way to get ahead.
Old 02-08-08, 11:05 AM   #18
parrotheads4
DVD Talk Special Edition

Your smart to be doing some research first. I spent a year figuring out what to get. I hate a mattress that sinks in the middle like a hammock. After reading everything I crossed my fingers and bought a Comfortaire Cerenity air bed. It's one of those adjustable mattresses. My wife can change the hardness on her side, and I can change the hardness on my side. It's the greatest. We love it. I've had it since early December. I think I paid $1,500 total for the Eastern King size. It included a new base (what would be like a box spring but has no give to it), and a memory foam pad - that's in addition to the normal pad. Love it.
Old 02-08-08, 11:08 AM   #19
drmoze
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn, for a second I thought this thread said "School me on Mistresses"! Gotta get my mind out of the gutter....
Old 02-08-08, 11:36 AM   #20
TimeandTide

Check the clearance warehouses of large furniture stores like Living Spaces. I found a brand new queen-size pillow top Sealy that usually retails for $800+ for just less than $300 WITH boxspring. Delivery guys had dropped the mattress on pavement on way to original customer who refused it due to a black smudge on one of the corners. Living Spaces had quite a few of these damaged-on-deliver items.
Old 02-08-08, 11:37 AM   #21
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Well it looks like there are not many mattress review sites. It also looks like the major mattress makers label their beds with different names depending on where they sell them, so it is very difficult to compare. Which is the suck.

Home Theater Build
Old 02-08-08, 12:26 PM   #22
Al Padrino
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any advice on how to avoid sinkholes for those of us with one-sided mattresses? I got mine a year ago, love it, but I'm noticing a bit of a groove developing in the center. I rotate it every couple of weeks, but obviously flipping it is out of the question. I try to avoid sleeping smack dab in the center, but that's where I usually wake up.
Old 02-09-08, 03:54 PM   #23
Oraphus
DVD Talk Special Edition

went to check out some mattresses today.
The one i really liked was: Simmons Beauty rest classic Plush Firm ~$900+

I didnt like the Sealy Mattresses as they are way too springy compared to the Simmons.

anyone have any experience with those?
Old 02-10-08, 07:00 PM   #24
mndtrp
DVD Talk Legend

I bought a pretty sweet Queen from Denver Mattress. Surprisingly, they are located in many places other than just Denver. I think it was around $400 for both the box spring and mattress, so I imagine it would be cheaper for just the mattress.
Old 02-11-08, 09:32 AM   #25
SoSpacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07

yes.

I have:
Queen Plush top set
Frame
Feather bed
Feather Bed protector
$900 delivered with tax and 30% off

...that is now at 40% off (thread on fatwallet)

I have also purchased:
Serenity Sheets
W Superstar Bedding (mmm....Pima cotton)
www.facebook.com/joepapeophotography
Sponsored Links