Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-21-08, 08:52 PM   #1
shadowhawk2020
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Found a Lump in my cats throat :(

I noticed that my cat has a lump on the side of his throat. It is pretty hard, seems round, and can be moved around a little. It seemed to spring up over night. I will be taking him to the vet Wednesday. It is making me sad to think wat it could be.

To make matters worse, my wifes Parents cat (my wifes's childhood cat) died today. So I dare not share this with her. However, if she pets under his neck she will notice.
Old 01-21-08, 09:03 PM   #2
Kittydreamer
DVD Talk Legend

Place the cat in front of you, facing away. Put both of your hands on the cat's throat area and very carefully feel around. You could be simply feeling the cat's lymph nodes, see if there is another one on the other side.

Also, does the cat have any other symptoms? Fever? Not eating? Not pooping or peeing? Check around for a bugbite on the skin, too.

Good luck, hope it's nothing.
Old 01-21-08, 09:15 PM   #3
dadaluholla
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is it a long hair cat? Maybe it's just a clump of fur.
Old 01-21-08, 09:53 PM   #4
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, be sure it's not a clump of fur. I've freaked myself out enough times.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 01-21-08, 10:02 PM   #5
shadowhawk2020
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
Place the cat in front of you, facing away. Put both of your hands on the cat's throat area and very carefully feel around. You could be simply feeling the cat's lymph nodes, see if there is another one on the other side.

Also, does the cat have any other symptoms? Fever? Not eating? Not pooping or peeing? Check around for a bugbite on the skin, too.

Good luck, hope it's nothing.
There is no bug bite, The best I can tell it s not on the other side. However it may be swolln from the other side. He has no other symptoms. He eats fine, is drinking and is still happy...
Old 01-21-08, 10:22 PM   #6
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

If he gets out and might have been in a fight with another cat, it could be an abcess. Cats can get all sorts of weird lumps, most of which are trivial. It's a good idea to have the vet check it out, though.
Old 01-21-08, 10:35 PM   #7
Cool Kitten
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020
There is no bug bite, The best I can tell it s not on the other side. However it may be swolln from the other side. He has no other symptoms. He eats fine, is drinking and is still happy...
take him to the vet ASAP. Like tomorrow. It could be lymphoma or lymphosarcoma, 2 of my cats died from this, and it started with swollen lymph nodes.
Have them run every single test on him, blood test will not be enough.
Another cat? Perhaps. For love there is also a season; its seeds must be resown. But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.
Irving Townsend
Old 01-22-08, 07:54 AM   #8
shadowhawk2020
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have an appointment set for him today... Hopefully they don't have to shave it. I am trying to do this without my wife freaking out.

Last edited by shadowhawk2020; 01-22-08 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-22-08, 08:25 AM   #9
General Zod
DVD Talk Ruler

Good luck. I hope it is nothing or easily treatable.
Old 01-22-08, 09:07 AM   #10
RunBandoRun
Needs to contact Admin about multiple accounts

Location: Formerly know as"Vibiana"/Living in a van down by the river
The cats of Chez Vibiana send purrs, leg rubs, and head bumps to your ailing puddytat.
Old 01-22-08, 09:35 AM   #11
shadowhawk2020
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks... He is doing well and has been a healthy cat to this point. The Vet estimated him around 15 years old.

When I was engaged to my wife, I was still living with my parents. (19 years old.) He was a neighbors pet, they never fed him or gave him water. When my wife and I would show up at the house, he would come sit on the hood of the car, waiting for us to get out looking through the glass. After we were married and settled into a place, we planned to take him. That night we went over to my parents, called him with food and he didn't show. We looked for hours. Finally my wife noticed he we stuck up on the roof of the house, he climed up the tree to get up there and was to scared to get down. I had to get out the ladder and finally got him. After a couple of weeks the neighbor kids found a grey ca that kind of looked like him that got hit by a car. They burried him (they knew so little about the cat he could have been a completely different color and they woud have never known the difference). He has been an inside cat with us for the last 7 years. The best friend we coud have
Old 01-22-08, 09:46 AM   #12
Kittydreamer
DVD Talk Legend

Please keep us updated, I really hope he's going to be ok.
Old 01-22-08, 10:01 AM   #13
shadowhawk2020
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's probably nothind and I am over blowing the whole the thing. But I am not used to him needing a vet. I will update this afternoon when we get back from the dr.
Old 01-22-08, 11:11 AM   #14
Bronkster
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020
It's probably nothind and I am over blowing the whole the thing.
That's a natural reaction, I think. You're responsible for the well-being of a little ball of fluff that can't tell you how he's feeling, so you have to guess and interpret signs that may or may not be anything. It would be so easy if pets could talk ("hey, that fish you fed me was bad and I'm gonna hork on your pillow! Sorry!"), but they don't so we go by their mood and actions.

My dog had a small lump on his leg a year ago, and it turned out to be a bee stinger that got infected. He's fine now.

I hope your cat is okay.
Old 01-22-08, 02:51 PM   #15
shadowhawk2020
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, so I went to the Vet's office. I was a month or so behind on his yearly vaccine's so I got that. They gave me some antibiotics, and said they will give those a week to work. If those do not work, they will remove the lump.

When the vet left the room, I asked the nurse if she thinks the medicine will work, she said most likely I will be calling them in a week...
Old 01-22-08, 03:48 PM   #16
jack999

So, did the vet say the lump was an abcess? If he didn't tell what the antibiotics were for, I encourage you to ask.
Another cat? Perhaps. For love there is also a season; its seeds must be resown. But a family cat is not replaceable like a worn out coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend
www.teamfurr.org
Old 01-22-08, 04:03 PM   #17
shadowhawk2020
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack999
So, did the vet say the lump was an abcess? If he didn't tell what the antibiotics were for, I encourage you to ask.

They said it is a "possible" abcess. When the vet left the room, I asked the nurse what she thought. She seemed to think it wasn't an abcess but a week could not hurt...
Old 01-22-08, 04:37 PM   #18
namrfumot
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thyroid?
Old 01-22-08, 04:45 PM   #19
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

Ahhh.... it's one of those "lumps with no name". They grow very slowly. Your cat may have had it there for a while, and you just now noticed it. They are not cancerous, just a problem if they get big.

Older cats (and people) get these. They are nothing more than a nuisance.
Old 01-22-08, 05:31 PM   #20
shadowhawk2020
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
Ahhh.... it's one of those "lumps with no name". They grow very slowly. Your cat may have had it there for a while, and you just now noticed it. They are not cancerous, just a problem if they get big.

Hopefully, but they have not ruled out tumor yet...
Old 01-22-08, 05:50 PM   #21
General Zod
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger

Yeah it could be a fatty tumor. The fact that it moves around a bit is good. My dog has these all over his entire body but mostly on his left side. He's not really shaped like a dog anymore.. his left side is twice as big as his right side. However the vet says that those fatty tumors don't really cause any issues and that he'll likely live to be a grand old age.. He's 13 now and has had them for years.. So, if it is one of these, I don't think it's a big deal except understand that your cat may get many more of them.
Old 01-22-08, 11:02 PM   #22
Cool Kitten
DVD Talk Legend

i hope he's ok...Any kind of lump freaks me out to no end.
Another cat? Perhaps. For love there is also a season; its seeds must be resown. But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.
Irving Townsend
Old 01-23-08, 02:42 PM   #23
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

if i had a dime for every time a cat gets an abscess...

i'd be coated in pus covered dimes...

it's probably an abscess...

i've dealt with several on my cats... cats tend to build up large ones.... it's just part of what is a cat...

could be something else of course...

but a large lump comes up quick and cat seems fine?...

abscess most of time...

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 01-23-08, 06:55 PM   #24
Cool Kitten
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
but a large lump comes up quick and cat seems fine?...
last time that happened to my cat it led to 6 months of chemo and eventual death. Better be safe than sorry.
Irving Townsend
Old 01-23-08, 06:56 PM   #25
Bacon
DVD Talk Legend

looks like your cat swallowed the lump sum
Sponsored Links