Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-09-07, 01:45 PM   #1
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Poor Grandma :(

Just picked up my grandmother from physical therapy. She is my last living grandparent, and 89 years old.

When she was 55 she slid down a marble banister at the WA state capital building and broke some vertebrae. She was bedridden for a long time.

When she was 74 she was putting up Christmas lights standing on a stool, that was in a chair. Fell, got a concussion, bedridden for awhile.

When she was 83, she fell out of a Jeep and broke her hip. They put her in a nursing home and told her she would never get out. In 6 months, she was home and in a year she was walking a mile or two a day again.

About a year ago, she broke the other. Wheel chair for awhile, then a walker, and now she uses a cain, but can't get around much.

There were a lot of broken bones in between. Shattered ankles, broken collar bones, etc.

So she tells me, "I have never taken so long to get over an injury." I looked at her bewildered and said, "Grandma, you've never had an injury like this at 89 years of age before. I'm just hoping to make it that long."

Anyway, just thought I'd share. Poor Grandma.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 11-09-07, 01:47 PM   #2
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

She's a fighter.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 11-09-07, 01:48 PM   #3
Minor Threat
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry to hear that, just be happy you still have her company and make the most of it.
Old 11-09-07, 01:49 PM   #4
Bronkster
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That skateboard ya got her for christmas? Bad idea.
Old 11-09-07, 01:52 PM   #5
Premise
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave
When she was 55 she slid down a marble banister at the WA state capital building
?

Old 11-09-07, 01:52 PM   #6
wishbone
DVD Talk Legend

My grandfather (dad's dad) fell and broke his hip in his mid '70s; he was never really the same again and passed away about five years later. My last grandparent (mom's mom) passed away in 1989.

They were the only grandparents I knew (their spouses passed away when I was little).
Old 11-09-07, 01:53 PM   #7
Minor Threat
DVD Talk Legend

On a side note - "sliding down a marble banister at the WA state capital building when she was 55" sounds pretty kick-ass.....
Old 11-09-07, 01:58 PM   #8
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Threat
On a side note - "sliding down a marble banister at the WA state capital building when she was 55" sounds pretty kick-ass.....
- hell yeah, but 55 isn't old anymore.

I work with a fellow that is 75. He went skiing in Colorado somewhere last winter, he brought back pictures of him going down black diamonds

Cool as hell old guy too, very friendly and always willing to help anyone with anything.
Old 11-09-07, 01:59 PM   #9
Minor Threat
DVD Talk Legend

Wait - He's 75 and still working....?
Old 11-09-07, 02:00 PM   #10
Venusian
DVD Talk Hero

Your grandmother is only 89? My grandfather was 92 when he died a few years ago and you're a lot older than I am
Old 11-09-07, 02:05 PM   #11
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:

Yeah, she was always pretty wild. She did things in her 70s that I wouldn't do in my 20s. Though she does recognize that almost none of them were very smart.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 11-09-07, 02:06 PM   #12
Minor Threat
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Yeah, she was always pretty wild. She did things in her 70s that I wouldn't do in my 20s. Though she does recognize that almost none of them were very smart.

I'll be toasting to her health tonight.....

Old 11-09-07, 02:10 PM   #13
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusian
Your grandmother is only 89? My grandfather was 92 when he died a few years ago and you're a lot older than I am

She is 89, dad is 67, I am 36. Took the parents a long time to decide if they wanted kids. My other grandmother passed away this past year at 93, grandfather at 89. The other grandfather only made it to 76, but he should never have made it that long. Life long drinker and smoker.
Old 11-09-07, 02:16 PM   #14
Venusian
DVD Talk Hero

You're only 9 years older than me? I figured it'd be 20 or so
Old 11-09-07, 02:24 PM   #15
shoppingbear
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Quote:
Yeah no kidding, she sounds like she has a lot of moxie.

Reminds me of what my father did to celebrate his 65th birthday: he went to Tanzania to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro (tallest peak in Africa and fourth tallest in the world), followed by a two-week safari. It was one of those things he'd always wanted to do.

When he came back, he commented casually that he was surprised to find he was the oldest person on the trip. No kidding, you mean most 65-year-olds aren't climbing huge mountains??

His mom lived to almost 100. I can only hope I have their genes.

"There is added visual entertainment with the flamethrower though. It's like a field of lighting bugs roaming merrily around the basement except, of course, they are on fire." --Dave99
"Here comes the battle of the stupid analogies" - Al Bundy "Otters are masters of stupid analogies." - Abelkems
Old 11-09-07, 02:25 PM   #16
MBoyd
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I lost both by Grandmothers in the last year. 89 and 93. The younger was healthy to the end and then she had a heart attack and it was 6 weeks before she died. My other grandmother's health however had been going south for 10 years. It all started with a broken hip. She had many falls and finally had to be put in a nursing home the final 3 months. Been a rough year for me. I understand what you are dealing with.
Old 11-09-07, 02:52 PM   #17
achau9598
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
About a year ago, she broke the other. Wheel chair for awhile, then a walker, and now she uses a cain, but can't get around much.
Old 11-09-07, 02:52 PM   #18
printerati

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoppingbear
His mom lived to almost 100. I can only hope I have their genes.
Only one of my grandparents (my mom's dad) made it past 70; he and his sister are in their mid-80's now. My mom has already outlived her mother, who died at 57 in large part because of a misdiagnosis.

The great-grandparents fared considerably better, although none of them are with us anymore. One great-grandmother made it to 98, and my mom's dad's father made it to 105 (physically, anyway). Hopefully, I inherited the physical and mental longevity genes.
Old 11-09-07, 03:13 PM   #19
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Your grandmother sounds like a cool old broad. I'll be wishing her a speedy recovery.
Old 11-09-07, 04:15 PM   #20
Howiefan
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it can make her feel better, tell her at least she's not a dog. You would have shot her by now.

On a more serious note, I wish her a speedy recovery, sounds like a great woman!
Old 11-09-07, 04:38 PM   #21
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Yes, his theory is that once he quits he will wither away into nothing. The man loves his job, loves people, just loves having something to do everyday.
Old 11-09-07, 04:48 PM   #22
calhoun07
DVD Talk Legend

kvrdave's grandma...
Old 11-09-07, 05:12 PM   #23
devilshalo
DVD Talk Hero

Can you get her to give some strength to my grandma, who I learned today is so depressed she thought of taking her own life. (grandpa passed away a year ago.)
Old 11-09-07, 09:48 PM   #24
MBoyd

^ thats not an uncommon feeling with the elderly. My grandmother just wanted to die to after my grandfather died in 1984. He did everything for her from banking to pumping gas. She had no idea how to do anything and she just wanted to die. She said she never expected to live so long. Glad she did though because the next 22 years she lived, I know she just became a stronger person and much more independent.

Go see her devilshalo if you havent already.
Old 11-10-07, 12:13 PM   #25
RunBandoRun
Needs to contact Admin about multiple accounts

Location: Formerly know as"Vibiana"/Living in a van down by the river
Quote:
I have three uncles (my late mom's brothers) who are 78, 75, and 73 and still work. They also bicycle about 100 miles per week each. Not everybody wants to hit the porch rocker the minute they turn 65.

kvrdave: my mom's mother was my only grandma, since dad's died when I was only four and she lived 800 miles away besides. I used to spend every Saturday night at my grandma's house and blame her for my lifelong secret love of gospel music (she forced me to watch Hee Haw with her. )

Anyway, because my parents were older, so was my grandma, and when I was only 14, she died. That was almost 30 years ago, and I miss her so much. Give your grandma a hug. I wish I could hug mine.
Sponsored Links