Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-04-07, 05:21 PM   #1
mikehunt
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Refrigerator/freezers: Why are bottom freezer units so much more expensive?

I went appliance shopping today. Why are units with the freezer on the bottom a minimum of $300 more? That was on 18cu ft units, on larger ones the price difference vs the same size and brande but with a top freezer was even more
Old 11-04-07, 05:43 PM   #2
ernestrp
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Freezer On Bottom

More recently manufacturers have placed the freezer on the bottom of the refrigerator, rather than the top. The reasoning behind the geography switch? Generally people spend significantly less time in the freezer section than in the main compartment, so the freezer is in the more inconvenient bottom. More frequent daily duties, like checking on the head of iceberg lettuce in the veggie drawer take place at an easy viewing eye level. However, when you do access the freezer, either by door or drawer, you may find yourself burrowing to the back and bottom looking for the elusive frozen chicken wings. So although you will be bending less, when you have to bend, it could be more arduous exercise than you care for. Bottom mount freezers cost a tad more than their traditional sisters, offer comparatively less usable storage space and are not as energy efficient. However, they come out in front when compared to the side by side. Prices range from $675 to $2,000.

I guess they are new. I never have seen one.

Old 11-04-07, 05:54 PM   #3
Bronkster
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernestrp
I would say the idea is recycled, not new. The fridge we had when I was a wee tyke (early '60s) had a bottom freezer, and I seem to recall that being the norm (for as much as my young mind went around comparing peoples' refrigerators, anyway). I think with any appliance, designs go in a cycle for a few years in order to appear new. Just like stereo component colors - everything is black for a few years, then suddenly silver is in again (and let us hope that "wood grain" has died permanently).

As to why the price is different - I have no clue.
Old 11-04-07, 06:17 PM   #4
ernestrp
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronkster
I would say the idea is recycled, not new. The fridge we had when I was a wee tyke (early '60s) had a bottom freezer, and I seem to recall that being the norm (for as much as my young mind went around comparing peoples' refrigerators, anyway). I think with any appliance, designs go in a cycle for a few years in order to appear new. Just like stereo component colors - everything is black for a few years, then suddenly silver is in again (and let us hope that "wood grain" has died permanently).

As to why the price is different - I have no clue.
I was a wee tyke in the early 60's to but I dont remember refrigerators much. My sisters have told me I used stare at women especially in bathing suits with nice ones. I still do.

Old 11-04-07, 06:22 PM   #5
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernestrp
Definitely not new. My great-aunt and uncle had one when I was growing up, and they certainly didn't buy an olive green fridge in the late '80s.
Old 11-04-07, 06:44 PM   #6
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

my mom had a bottom freezer and i hated it. it had a rack where you put the food and the way it was built you lost half the space of the actuall freezer. top freezer models have a lot more space
Old 11-04-07, 06:54 PM   #7
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I regretted buying a side by side to replace my freezer on top unit a few years back, until I had to deal with my parents bottom freezer

I now like the side by side

I thought bottom freezers cost more because they seemed to be popular and trendy these days, no other reason.
Old 11-04-07, 07:06 PM   #8
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Top is better.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 11-04-07, 08:34 PM   #9
DarthVong
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I own a bottom freezer model and I love it. It has just as much space as my old top freezer model. I can't stand side by sides though.
Old 11-04-07, 09:36 PM   #10
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

It may have to do in part with the engineering. The top freezer lets the cold drift down to the fridge to keep it cool. Cold likes to drop, so this is very efficient and a very easy model from an engineering stand point. I would think a bottom freezer would have to kick the cool upward.

I could be way off base, but that is what immediately came to me.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 11-04-07, 10:12 PM   #11
Just Lurking
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave
It may have to do in part with the engineering. The top freezer lets the cold drift down to the fridge to keep it cool. Cold likes to drop, so this is very efficient and a very easy model from an engineering stand point. I would think a bottom freezer would have to kick the cool upward.

I have always thought bottom freezers were more efficient for the opposite reason. It takes more energy to keep the freezer cold. So having coldest at the bottom helped more.
Old 11-04-07, 10:33 PM   #12
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave

I think you are way off base. Cold doesn't do anything. In fact, I would speculate that having the freezer on the bottom is better, because the air is much colder. More heat must rise from the fridge in a freezer on top unit.
Old 11-04-07, 10:34 PM   #13
CharlieK
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is cold air actually able to move from one chamber to another? I thought they were each sealed?
Old 11-04-07, 10:44 PM   #14
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

I prefer side by side or on top. The fridges at work have the freezer on the bottom and it annoys me.

VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL
Old 11-04-07, 10:53 PM   #15
Quatermass
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan
I prefer side by side or on top.
Moving to Adult Forum...
Old 11-05-07, 01:14 AM   #16
namja
Stealth Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieK
Is cold air actually able to move from one chamber to another? I thought they were each sealed?
Not all are. Only the more expensive ones are.

life in high definition
Old 11-05-07, 01:52 AM   #17
mndtrp
DVD Talk Legend

I would prefer a bottom freezer type, especially over the side by side I have now. It's brand new in the house I bought, so I'm kind of stuck with it for a while. At least until I can find someone to buy mine.

Anyway, I spend way more time in my fridge than the freezer. Even if I have to locate something in the freezer, it's less time than it takes to locate something in the fridge.
Old 11-05-07, 08:35 AM   #18
ANDREMIKE
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't like the bottom freezer because most of them have those stupid drawers. I think those drawers take up alot of usable space.

I like side by side, but if you have a side by side you have to have another refridgerator in the house. Its hard to put certain things in them...
Old 11-05-07, 10:18 AM   #19
RunBandoRun
Needs to contact Admin about multiple accounts

Location: Formerly know as"Vibiana"/Living in a van down by the river
Bottom freezers used to be the norm. My grandmother had one. The drawers that people complain about are actually an improvement over the old shelves, because it was hard to keep everything from falling out when you opened the door.

I prefer the bottom freezer models, but I wasn't going to spend for one so I bought a top mount.
Old 11-05-07, 10:28 AM   #20
grrrah
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OT:

I once convinced a girl I was dating that the air is colder at higher elevations, so that if she walked around the grocery store holding the ice cream above her head, it wouldn't melt as much. She did it for a couple minutes.

dumb ass.
Old 11-05-07, 03:21 PM   #21
mikehunt
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
bought a top freezer today
Old 11-05-07, 03:29 PM   #22
GradVT06
DVD Talk Special Edition

Prolly b/c nobody wants them so they sell less of them, and have to make more $ per sale because of that. House we bought over the summer came with the appliances and the fridge has the freezer at the bottom.
Old 11-05-07, 03:31 PM   #23
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradVT06
Prolly b/c nobody wants them so they sell less of them, and have to make more $ per sale because of that. House we bought over the summer came with the appliances and the fridge has the freezer at the bottom.
I actually like the freezer at the bottom. The new ones have pull-out racks plus the fact that I do in my fridge much more often than my freezer, so it's nice to have to bend over less.
Old 11-05-07, 03:43 PM   #24
Shazam
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Which one holds the most human limbs? That's the clincher.
Old 11-05-07, 03:43 PM   #25
GradVT06
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I actually like the freezer at the bottom. The new ones have pull-out racks plus the fact that I do in my fridge much more often than my freezer, so it's nice to have to bend over less.
Ours was nearly brand new and I hate it. It's much easier to bend over and open the criper drawer with either the veggies or fruit in them than waste my time with the drawers. I'd rather have the big wide open space in the top or side freezers than be restricted with the drawers in the freezer. Unfortunately, though, it's new and there's a dozen things we need to do with the house that are more important than replacing a fridge that's only 1-2 years old
Sponsored Links