Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-01-07, 11:53 AM   #1
NotThatGuy
DVD Talk Hero

When you were 22......how different were you?

This general topic came up today, and I was curious.....

when you were 22....how different were you?

I was working in tech, looking to hit it big, I worked crazy hours, wanted to marry my long-term GF, and settle in b'more. I was settling down, I cut out most of my drinking (minus some random binge drinking), and perfectly okay with selling out.

Now....not as much.

-p

ps. I was still on DVDTalk though.
Old 11-01-07, 11:57 AM   #2
Kittydreamer
DVD Talk Legend

Let's see...newly married, hated the computer and had only *gulp* 1 cat. Also, was pretty high strung and unpredictable.
Old 11-01-07, 11:58 AM   #3
islandclaws
DVD Talk Legend

Stoned and unproductive.

Now, stoned and productive.

Also, I was 22 only 4 years ago.

Horror Movie Challenge:
Old 11-01-07, 12:05 PM   #4
Lurker Gal

Finishing up college, still living at home and no real heavy responsibilities.

God I miss those days.
Old 11-01-07, 12:07 PM   #5
mrpayroll

I was just starting a new job in West LA which required about 1 hour driving each way. I had a full head of hair (none on top now) and weighed around 160 lbs (195 now).

I was just coming off my heaviest drinking period in my life. Started at 21 years old when I moved out with a friend and we would have parties almost every night. So, for 9 months I was drinking a lot of alcohol. But now with a new job I was ready for a new start.

I was a lot more happy go lucky back then, laughing a lot of the time. I was a very funny person and could make everyone laugh. I had a dream to find someone to fall in love with and get married and have a family. 24 years later I still have that dream. But I haven't been in love since 1985, so you could call me disallusioned.

There was no such thing as the Internet back then and CDs were a year away or so. I had been playing drums for 7 years by that time. I was still about 5 years away from becoming a DJ and in 1983 had never danced in my life and hated the thought of dancing. That would change in June of 1984.

I wasn't going to church in 1983, that would be 4 years later (still at the same church) playing the drums.

God has been faithful to me all these years regarding my job, but my love life, well I screwed that up with too many high expectations (and they get higher every day).

As a person, I liked myself better back then. I was less cynical and more happy. But these days I try to love my neighbor and be a servant to others, so that isn't too bad.

Thanx for asking, Chris
Old 11-01-07, 12:14 PM   #6
Charlie Goose
DVD Talk Legend

When I was 22 I was renting one room not much bigger than a prison cell, sharing a bathroom & kitchen with a steady stream of both decent folk and misfits. I was working an overnight shift in Manhattan, which I loved, and I was hitting the weights regularly so I was in great shape.

Now I own a house, work a job I like okay, and my weight set has more dust than a Pharaoh's tomb.
Old 11-01-07, 12:18 PM   #7
dieinafire
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not much different, I am only 25 now. I make a little more money, and live in a nicer apt. I still have the same job, drink a lot, and smoke a little less weed than I used to. I have gained some weight, but not too much. I am 5'10" and now weigh 185, used to be 135 at 22, so maybe I was too skinny. I like to think I have learned a lot since then.

You can only please a woman with a dick made out of chocolate that ejaculates money. -rehmus

It's like I got shocked and Awwwed by the pussy. -Larry C.
Old 11-01-07, 12:23 PM   #8
Toad
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This was only 7 years ago for me.

I was a senior in college. Now, I'm married, have a daughter, graduated law school, passed the bar in two states, and own two cars and have a mortgage.

Shit I'm so different it hurts.
Old 11-01-07, 12:29 PM   #9
Pointyskull
DVD Talk Reviewer

Fuck - that was 25 years ago.
Thanks for depressing me

Last edited by Pointyskull; 11-01-07 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-01-07, 12:31 PM   #10
Bandoman
DVD Talk Hero

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
I was a black woman then.

Old 11-01-07, 12:31 PM   #11
U6C84
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmm....I am 22. I turn 23 next week, so I'll let you know then.
Old 11-01-07, 12:35 PM   #12
RunBandoRun
Needs to contact Admin about multiple accounts

Location: Formerly know as"Vibiana"/Living in a van down by the river
1986-87

I had frosted hair in an 80s weirdo punk cut, sculptured nails, and wore Day Glo makeup worthy of Cyndi Lauper. I lived in a tiny apartment, worked for a shopping mall executive, and went to the bars every weekend. I was single and still young enough to believe getting ridiculously drunk meant I'd had a good evening.
Old 11-01-07, 12:41 PM   #13
nodeerforamonth
DVD Talk Limited Edition

18 years ago (1989). Had really long hair. Drank more than I do now. Was a hardcore liberal. Was very insecure. Was extremely poor (lived on $5 a day and that included bus fare to and from school/work). Struggled every day to make ends meet.

Other than that, I was about the same I am now. Listen to the same music, play video games, work out 3 days a week, watch the same type of stuff on TV, etc... Now I have a car (my 3rd one!), a savings account, own a condo, can eat more than just spagetti...

Last edited by nodeerforamonth; 11-01-07 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-01-07, 12:41 PM   #14
Minor Threat
DVD Talk Legend

I was working random dead end jobs partying like I was immortal and getting more tail than I ever had. I was renting a house with a roommate and we did nothing but party and throw parties. My life had no real direction and I hadn't talked to my parents for three years. While they were the best of both good times and bad times, I don't miss them at all.....
Old 11-01-07, 12:48 PM   #15
wishbone
DVD Talk Legend

Getting older is certainly a humbling experience, at that age 22 you feel pretty invulnerable. Being more thoughtful and less self-absorbed at 36 than 22 is prob the biggie but I think I have maintained a certain joie de vivre over the years -- keeping young by staying young at heart. I do not seem to have a problem with looking young though... less hair in the back though.

circa 1992

Last edited by wishbone; 11-23-07 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-01-07, 12:55 PM   #16
Draven
DVD Talk Legend

That was 1998 for me.

I had a semester left of college. I was living with my fiance (now wife) in an apartment in Des Moines. I was working as a photojournalist for a television station. Life was pretty much school, movies, and hanging out.

Today I am a producer for a corporate communications company. We have two cars, two kids, two cats and a house in the suburbs.

Personality-wise, I'm pretty similar. Maybe a little more responsible, but my interests have remained the same. It's been a pretty crazy trip for me though, and I've done and seen a lot of things that I never thought I'd do and see.

I definitely have some advice for my 22-year-old self though.
Old 11-01-07, 12:59 PM   #17
wendersfan

In 1985 I was a college dropout playing bass in a rock band.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 11-01-07, 01:01 PM   #18
wishbone
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven
I definitely have some advice for my 22-year-old self though.
(Future Dwigt) Agreed.
Old 11-01-07, 01:24 PM   #19
Bandoman
DVD Talk Hero

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana
I was single and still young enough to believe getting ridiculously drunk meant I'd had a good evening.
Wait. That's not what it means?

Old 11-01-07, 01:37 PM   #20
girlnextdoor
DVD Talk Special Edition

1990 - not married - no children - lived by myself - no pets - no commitments - no problems. I almost want to go back.
Old 11-01-07, 01:41 PM   #21
atlantamoi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1987. The main difference is that I don't really party anymore and I have a job and family instead of finishing up school.
Old 11-01-07, 01:46 PM   #22
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

I'll let you know in ten years.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 11-01-07, 01:53 PM   #23
VinVega
Administrator

When I was 22 I was still in college and working part time at a liquor store. I was still playing baseball in a recreational league and going through too much drama with my then gf. The internet was brand new back then. I don't know if we even had AOL at that point. That was also the year the Yanks won the first WS since I became a fan back in 1981, so that was pretty awesome for me.
Old 11-01-07, 01:55 PM   #24
AGuyNamedMike
DVD Talk Legend

Let's see, 22? 1989-90... I was:

-Single with a capital S, throwin' that D with abandon, nickname was alternately "Snake Doctor" or "Stunt Cock", but about meet my first wife
-in Berlin, exploring the culture and history
-Active duty in Army Intelligence, about to get my SGT's stripes, looking to be a Lifer but watching that dream dissolve along with the Soviet Union
-in great shape, on the unit running team

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 11-01-07, 02:01 PM   #25
lordwow
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm pretty much the same.

Oh ya, I'm 22.
Sponsored Links