Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-26-07, 07:03 PM   #1
FinkPish
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Canadian Police Taser Man in Airport; Ends in his Death

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../National/home

24 seconds of talk and they felt they had to taser the guy? I'm curious how many officers were on the scene, where they felt like they couldn't just restrain him by force alone.
Old 10-26-07, 07:32 PM   #2
Norm de Plume
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This happened a couple of weeks ago. From my understanding, the guy was ranting and raving, throwing furniture, and not reacting to officer commands.

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least."
Old 10-26-07, 07:41 PM   #3
Bronkster
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkPish
24 seconds of talk and they felt they had to taser the guy?
They just wanna be like the American cops.
Old 10-26-07, 08:53 PM   #4
Mole177
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wonder if this guy did it...

Old 10-27-07, 12:06 AM   #5
Goldblum
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Natt

Movies by the MINUTE
Old 10-27-07, 12:43 AM   #6
Ranger
DVD Talk Legend

That scene from the Terminal movie comes to mind.

"Goat! Medicine for goat!"

Long flights can be pretty stressful, he may have died from a heart attack, 12 minutes for medical help seems kind of slow for an airport. I wonder if the cops did anything to try to save him - cpr?
Old 10-27-07, 09:29 AM   #7
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

Did any of them record this for youtube?
Old 10-27-07, 11:50 AM   #8
islandclaws
DVD Talk Legend

"Don't taze me, bro eh!"

Horror Movie Challenge:
Old 10-27-07, 12:49 PM   #9
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Dazed and confused after more than 15 hours of travel, unable to communicate in English and scared because he couldn't find his mother...

Might help if yah know the local tongue speak.

On the other hand, if some grown man is running around screaming MOMMY! MOMMY!, I'd probably give them a taze or two.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 10-27-07, 02:07 PM   #10
atari2600
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

didnt watch the video yet but why do people insist on NOT listening to cops? just do what they say!
Old 10-27-07, 02:21 PM   #11
FinkPish
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you don't know what they are saying, what chance do you have though?
Old 10-27-07, 03:13 PM   #12
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

He's being sarcastic, i.e., my opinion (from other threads) that a person should listen to police and try to cooperate, rather than quote them The Constitution every chance they get and refusing cooperation based on legal television programs.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 10-27-07 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-27-07, 10:01 PM   #13
kenbuzz
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
He's being sarcastic, i.e., my opinion (from other threads) that a person should listen to police and try to cooperate, rather than quote them The Constitution every chance they get and refusing cooperation based legal television programs.
Besides, the Constitution doesn't really help much in Toronto.
Old 10-27-07, 10:05 PM   #14
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Good point, for sure.

Old 10-27-07, 10:11 PM   #15
kenbuzz
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-27-07, 10:47 PM   #16
movieguru
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
He's being sarcastic, i.e., my opinion (from other threads) that a person should listen to police and try to cooperate, rather than quote them The Constitution every chance they get and refusing cooperation based on legal television programs.
Yes, because one's constitutional rights only apply when a cop is not around. When the police are there the average citizen has no rights. They should be able to bust into anyone's house without a serch warrant. We don't need internal affairs department because citizens should just accept whatever a cop dishes out to them. How dare people tape cops doing illegal things like beating minority traffic offenders or thretening to make up false charges on people when they park in commuter lots.
Old 10-27-07, 11:08 PM   #17
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

...as I was saying, FinkPish...

Old 10-28-07, 12:23 AM   #18
atari2600
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by movieguru
Yes, because one's constitutional rights only apply when a cop is not around. When the police are there the average citizen has no rights. They should be able to bust into anyone's house without a serch warrant. We don't need internal affairs department because citizens should just accept whatever a cop dishes out to them. How dare people tape cops doing illegal things like beating minority traffic offenders or thretening to make up false charges on people when they park in commuter lots.
im not saying just lie down and let the cops do whatever but i really feel that many people are trying to take advange of their "free right" to freak out like the cops are taking advantage of them, when in fact the cops may very well be doing their job 100% legally. and since the person fucked up and doesnt want to go to jail (or just get a ticket...whatever) they try to get out of it thinking the cop is dirty or they can sue later or play the race card...some shit like that.

i think many times these tazed people deserved it.
Old 10-28-07, 01:50 AM   #19
Nazgul
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
"Don't taze me, bro eh!"
Robi nie taże mnie brat?
2008 Stanley Cup Champions, Detroit Red Wings
2008 NBA Champions, Boston Celtics

Last edited by Nazgul; 10-28-07 at 01:53 AM.
Old 10-28-07, 03:50 AM   #20
FinkPish
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari2600
im not saying just lie down and let the cops do whatever but i really feel that many people are trying to take advange of their "free right" to freak out like the cops are taking advantage of them, when in fact the cops may very well be doing their job 100% legally. and since the person fucked up and doesnt want to go to jail (or just get a ticket...whatever) they try to get out of it thinking the cop is dirty or they can sue later or play the race card...some shit like that.

i think many times these tazed people deserved it.
In this case do you think he deserved it?

I say no, and here's my reasoning. He's in an airport and probably doesn't have any weapons on him, since he had just flown (though, I'm not sure if he came straight from Poland or make a connection, and if Poland has the same flight policies as the US/Canada regarding weapons). The guy didn't speak the language, didn't understand what they were asking/telling him, and therefore wouldn't understand something like "calm down sir, or we are going to have to taze you." But he did apparently throw a fit. I can't see why he couldn't have been brought down by force and cuffed rather than what seems to me to be the lazier route for the cops, just taze him and cuff him. The guy who saw the tape said "From my observation, the interaction between the police and this individual, who didn't appear to me to be posing a danger to anybody at the time … was 24 seconds, roughly, before he was tasered."
Old 10-28-07, 10:34 AM   #21
sjrab16

I have no problem with house the police handled it. Tackling and holding the guy down could of resulted in his death also. It is not like using the tazer is certain death, it was a an accident. I would not call using a tazer the lazier solution I would call it the safer one.

When a cop asks you to do something at your house maybe even in your car, you could and maybe should ask for then justing bending over and taking it in the ass. But when you are in a public place where they are looking out for the safety of themselves, others and possibly even you then I believe you should listen. Just my opinion but I also have a brother who is a cop and I usually will side on the safe side for the cop and not the idiot throwing chairs and computers in an airport.
Old 10-28-07, 11:29 AM   #22
dieinafire
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Usually when I read about someone getting tasered, it's someone who was too stupid to listen, and they got what they deserved. In this case, it's not the same, since he did not understand English. Plus the guy did not seem to be some asshole, or anything like that. I don't really think the police did anything wrong, but it's an unfortunate situation.

You can only please a woman with a dick made out of chocolate that ejaculates money. -rehmus

It's like I got shocked and Awwwed by the pussy. -Larry C.
Old 10-28-07, 01:07 PM   #23
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjrab16
I have no problem with house the police handled it. Tackling and holding the guy down could of resulted in his death also. It is not like using the tazer is certain death, it was a an accident. I would not call using a tazer the lazier solution I would call it the safer one.

When a cop asks you to do something at your house maybe even in your car, you could and maybe should ask for then justing bending over and taking it in the ass. But when you are in a public place where they are looking out for the safety of themselves, others and possibly even you then I believe you should listen. Just my opinion but I also have a brother who is a cop and I usually will side on the safe side for the cop and not the idiot throwing chairs and computers in an airport.
Good points. Tasers are not "Lazy Weapons". They were initially recommended and approved by community leaders nationwide who wanted a less lethal way of dealing with people who would not comply. Companies made the taser, the police began using them, and now tasers are getting bad publicity because of a few incidents where discretion was debatable.

It's better than getting shot. I will say that. Because this would be an alternative to a person who would not comply with an officer. These days, it is simply retarded to think a cop should be physically handling a person who appears to be dangerous because it's too much of a risk on the side of the police officer. The major justification and logic behind this statement is the fact police deal with dangerous people several hours a day, several days straight, and the chances of being injured are extremely high--in fact, it's higher than a typical day in Iraq depending on the city you patrol in.

So, when we hear about one incident happening and we hear cries and moans and groans of rights being violated, we also need to be aware of their job specification. Some people think they only rescue kittens and help grandmothers across the street with their groceries, and when the situation comes along of a dangerous person, oh my goodness, why didn't the cop be nice like he was with grandma and the kittens?

For those that disagree, well, you have two choices. Comply or change the laws which take tasers away from cops, and give cops the opportunity to shoot you for being a dumbass. Personally, I'd rather be tazed. Bro.

...of course we'll have someone post a story of cops who shot someone when they could've tazed them, but we'll just have to take it as it comes...

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 10-28-07 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-28-07, 03:00 PM   #24
atari2600
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkPish
In this case do you think he deserved it?
i never watched it - my reply wasnt directed at this guy...just in general to all the people who get tazed. seems like often they were just assholes.
Old 10-28-07, 04:56 PM   #25
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
For those that disagree, well, you have two choices. Comply or change the laws which take tasers away from cops, and give cops the opportunity to shoot you for being a dumbass. Personally, I'd rather be tazed. Bro.

...of course we'll have someone post a story of cops who shot someone when they could've tazed them, but we'll just have to take it as it comes...
17 people died in Canada in the past 4 1/2 years after being tazered. If they had been shot instead of tazered, there would have been outrage. So why is there less outrage when death comes from tazering? Because cops and public security ministers keep repeating that "tazers do not directly cause death". Of course that's semantics bullshit and it should be rather apparent to anyone with half a brain that tazers do (can) trigger physiological conditions that can lead to death, especially when people are tazered multiple times. Of the six Canadians who died in 2005 and 2006 after being shot by police tasers, all were shot more than once.

I'm not saying ban tasers, but until more is known about the effects of tazering (especially multiple tazerings) police need to enforce much stricter limits on taser use. They should only be used as a last resort, as an alternative to deadly force (firearms), and that's certainly not what is occuring now.

Last edited by eXcentris; 10-28-07 at 05:09 PM.
Sponsored Links