Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-06-07, 09:13 PM   #1
j123vt_99
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

State Fair of Texas - Ever go?

Any of you guys ever been? I know today would've been the day to be there, but it seemed like too much of a mess... Anyway, thinking of going for the last weekend? Is it fun or is it just kind of stupid?

sometimes all it takes is a slammin' hottie to make you dig down deep and discover who you really are - Scrubs
Old 10-06-07, 09:22 PM   #2
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

OH yea...great fair. Highly recommended. Tho we generally go early in the day and stay away from the midway...but that is just a choice to beat the crowds especially on the weekend.

Home Theater Build
Old 10-06-07, 09:27 PM   #3
j123vt_99
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How much time do you need to do all the stuff?Thinking about driving up Fri night and then coming home Sunday.

Is it expensive? Do they nickel and dime you for everything? Is it a pain in the ass to get around?

Any other tips? Decent hotel near there to stay?

sometimes all it takes is a slammin' hottie to make you dig down deep and discover who you really are - Scrubs

Last edited by j123vt_99; 10-06-07 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-07-07, 12:03 AM   #4
shaun3000
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

State Fair of Texas, eh? Largest state fair in the country? I may have heard of it...

There is tons to do. It's like any other fair, though. Mainly there for people to show off their wares. There's lot of interesting stuff to see and many scheduled events take place each day, every day is different.

Admission is reasonable. I think around $15 or so. Other than the midway, they don't nickel and dime you. Food is a little pricey but not outrageous. You have to buy most things with coupons. A coupon is worth $0.25 or $0.50. (I can't remember which) Most exhibits and shows are free of charge, this includes all the concerts.

There are several nice hotels downtown and uptown.

Be sure and get a Fletchers corny dog! They introduced the corn dog to the world nearly 70 years ago. You're best off washing it down with a glass of Shiner Bock beer.

More: www.bigtex.com
Old 10-07-07, 12:10 AM   #5
zombeaner
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I went on the last weekend of the Fair about 5 years ago and the smell of the 6 week old oil used to deep fry ANYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF made me physically ill and I had to leave. Fun other than that. Fuck TX/OU Weekend though, as someone who used to live in Deep Ellum and has interest in neither football nor college rivalry.
Old 10-07-07, 12:15 AM   #6
Del Buck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombeaner
Fuck TX/OU Weekend though, as someone who used to live in Deep Ellum and has interest in neither football nor college rivalry.
Sir, please pack your shit and get the hell out of TEXAS.
Old 10-07-07, 12:18 AM   #7
Dr. Henry Jones, Jr.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

$15 admission for an effing fair?
Old 10-07-07, 01:03 AM   #8
Joe Molotov
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It was pretty awesome the last time I went, however I was 9 at the time.
Old 10-07-07, 09:56 AM   #9
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, a weekend would be plenty of time. I usually take about 6-8 hours stopping for a really long lunch.

You can find discounts. Newspaper, I think Dr. Pepper still does it.

We don't do the games. We watch the shows, go see all the crap they are selling which is fun. Of course the car show, which while very big, is not the ultimate. They don't usually show stuff that's not already known. They usually save that for Detroit.
Finally we like to walk through all the art stuff done by locals where they when a prize. Lot of fun and interesting stuff. Yea...you will walk through some "bed spreads" and stuff, but even them are sort of interesting.

If you are into music, check out the live music. Usually very good. My kids like the bird shows and we usually walk through some of the live stock and animals.

Home Theater Build
Old 10-07-07, 11:40 AM   #10
Wolf359
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatikk
$15 admission for an effing fair?

I don't know what you think of when you think Fairs, but this one is EASILY worth a measly $15. There is a TON of stuff to do and see. I would pay $15 just for the new car exhibits myself.

Plus where else in the world can you buy a fried Snickers bar?
Old 10-07-07, 03:55 PM   #11
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

I lived in Phoenix for 5 years and we went to the Arizona state fair. What a freaking joke. It was more like a grocery store parking lot weekend carnival compared to the Texas state fair.

Besides, like I say, you should be able to find dome discounts somewhere. But if not, still worth it.

Keep in mind that while we only have it once a year, it is a permanent location, with most of building permanent. Sure they bring in some tents and stuff, but by and large it is permanent. Huge a/c buildings....

Home Theater Build

Last edited by Sdallnct; 10-07-07 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-07-07, 05:06 PM   #12
shaun3000
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep. The fair is held at Fair Parl. Many of the structures were built for the 1936 Texas Centennial Exposition, which was a World's Fair, although the fair has been held in Fair Park since the 1880s. It's really a big deal; the local news stations generally do several of their broadcasts from the Fair, nearly every school in the area gives the kids a special day off for the fair, they even call it a Fair Day. It's an event that's on the scale of an old-time World's Fair, but they hold it every year.
Old 10-07-07, 05:07 PM   #13
shaun3000
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombeaner
Fuck TX/OU Weekend though, as someone who used to live in Deep Ellum and has interest in neither football nor college rivalry.
The Texan in me is offended but I have to emphasize with you. I bet that area is HELL during the various football games. (For those of you who don't know, Deep Ellum is the neighborhood that separates Downtown Dallas from Fair Park.)
Old 10-07-07, 05:14 PM   #14
Michael T Hudson
DVD Talk Legend

The last time I went a few years ago they had all the new cars as well. That was worth the price for me. It is also fun to people watch.
Old 10-07-07, 05:31 PM   #15
spainlinx0
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Plus where else in the world can you buy a fried Snickers bar?
Jersey? By the way, does anyone have a good Fried Oreos recipe? I had one down the shore and it was amazing.
Old 10-07-07, 06:22 PM   #16
shaun3000
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy
The last time I went a few years ago they had all the new cars as well. That was worth the price for me. It is also fun to people watch.
They always have the new cars but don't usually have any big unveilings. I think they might have had a couple, last year, but I don't remember them being anything too exciting.
Old 10-07-07, 06:47 PM   #17
Pope V
Cool New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun3000
Be sure and get a Fletchers corny dog! They introduced the corn dog to the world nearly 70 years ago. You're best off washing it down with a glass of Shiner Bock beer.
abso-freakin-lutely
Old 10-07-07, 08:19 PM   #18
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Shiner...good stuff...

Home Theater Build