Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-26-07, 05:35 PM   #1
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

Stores take a cut from "groups" bagging groceries.

Saw a piece on this on tv last night. I assume this is common in the US too but here, whether it's in grocery stores or other types of stores like Canadian Tire, you often see kids who are not actual store employees, bagging groceries because they are trying to raise money for some sort of activity. So it can be boy scouts, a boy's hockey team, a girls' soccer team, etc... What I didn't know is that the overwhelming majority of the stores take a cut on what these kids make. It's normally around 10% but, in the case of Maxi (grocery store chain) it can go all the way up to 25% based on the amount of money collected. Now in Maxi's case the cut they take goes directly into a charity for children they sponsor.

You could argue that, since the store provides an environment for those kids to make money, that taking a cut is ok, or that since it goes to charity anyway, it's not such a bad thing after all. But why do this secretly? Put a sign or something that says "10% of money given to these kids goes to charity X". As it stands, they are forcing me to give money to a charity without my consent.
Old 09-26-07, 05:39 PM   #2
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris
Saw a piece on this on tv last night. I assume this is common in the US too but here, whether it's in grocery stores or other types of stores like Canadian Tire, you often see kids who are not actual store employees, bagging groceries because they are trying to raise money for some sort of activity. So it can be boy scouts, a boy's hockey team, a girls' soccer team, etc... What I didn't know is that the overwhelming majority of the stores take a cut on what these kids make. It's normally around 10% but, in the case of Maxi (grocery store chain) it can go all the way up to 25% based on the amount of money collected. Now in Maxi's case the cut they take goes directly into a charity for children they sponsor.

You could argue that, since the store provides an environment for those kids to make money, that taking a cut is ok, or that since it goes to charity anyway, it's not such a bad thing after all. But why do this secretly? Put a sign or something that says "10% of money given to these kids goes to charity X". As it stands, they are forcing me to give money to a charity without my consent.
How is it without your consent? Are you paying the baggers directly?

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 09-26-07, 05:39 PM   #3
Mopower
DVD Talk Legend

Never seen that before in my entire life.
Old 09-26-07, 05:41 PM   #4
HN
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How are the stores taking a cut? Customers pay the baggers?

And when did X get a charity?
Old 09-26-07, 05:55 PM   #5
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I assume this is common in the US too
Your assumption is incorrect (AFAIK).
Old 09-26-07, 05:56 PM   #6
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I assume this is common in the US too
I guess my assumption was incorrect.

It isn't necessarily groceries, this happens in other big chain stores too like Canadian Tire. You mostly see this on weekends, i.e. it isn't store employees bagging your groceries/items, it's kids raising money for a school activity, some hockey or soccer tournament, etc... So they are all wearing their boy scout uniform, or hockey/soccer shirt, and THEY are the ones bagging your groceries/items. Next to them is usually some sort of container where you can deposit a buck or two if you want, before you leave with your stuff. So, at the end of the day, if the kids managed to collect $1,000 from customer donations, the store takes a cut, which varies from 10 to 25% in some cases, depending of the amount raised.
Old 09-26-07, 05:57 PM   #7
Trevor
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Must be a regional thing. I also have never seen anything like this (charity seeking baggers).
Old 09-26-07, 05:59 PM   #8
MadMark

Do grocery stores in Canada operate like they do over in Europe, where customers bag their own groceries (and pay for each bag)? Or like here in the US, where paid employees bag your groceries?
Old 09-26-07, 06:00 PM   #9
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

pretty much every store in the US except for warehouse clubs like Costco bag your groceries for you. and they give you free bags as well. and this applies to every retail business i can think of selling pretty much everything with the exceptio of cars, big screen TV's and other things that don't fit into a retail bag. a lot of stores even double bag items for security reasons
Old 09-26-07, 06:02 PM   #10
Seantn
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's a place near here where you bag your own stuff and they charge a bit less on all the groceries, since they don't have to pay any bag boys.
Old 09-26-07, 06:04 PM   #11
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

Like in the US. Except that on week-ends (I don't think I've ever seen this during the week, makes sense since these kids would have school) some stores let non-employees do the bagging for the reasons I stated above.
Old 09-26-07, 06:04 PM   #12
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

few years back costco put an extra person on each register to put your stuff in that huge cart they have when you check out. the reason is that they can check out more people and make a lot more money.

unless this store has very little customers or pretty much no waiting, they are idiots for being penny wise and pound foolish
Old 09-26-07, 06:12 PM   #13
adamblast
DVD Talk Legend

If I'm remembering right (NPR feature, months ago) in Mexico the major grocery stores have "unofficial" employees as baggers--basically unpaid volunteer street kids--and they expect to be tipped.

I hope we don't end up having to tip baggers in the US. Damn, I get tired of everybody reaching into my pockets.
Old 09-26-07, 06:19 PM   #14
devilshalo
DVD Talk Hero

If the store was responsible, either they have the charity or organization provide waivers and proof of insurance for the baggers, or they take the cut to pay for some type of coverage in case something ever happens to the bagger.
Old 09-26-07, 06:24 PM   #15
resinrats
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

We did this once in Cub Scouts. We bagged at the BX (military store) and we had a can there that people could put $$ into. Don't know if the BX took any of it. Probably not.
Old 09-26-07, 06:30 PM   #16
dork
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
It's normally around 10% but, in the case of Maxi (grocery store chain) it can go all the way up to 25% based on the amount of money collected.
Wow, it sounds like your Maxis are bleeding you dry.
Old 09-26-07, 06:38 PM   #17
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

I thought this was going to be like the guys who wash my windows at stoplights and expect compensation.

Here we have gas stations and fast food places allowing kids to use the parking lot for car washes for fund raising... and of course, girl scouts selling Thin Mints (yeah, they sell other cookies too, but who buys those?)

I don't see a problem with the stores taking a cut and putting it into another charity... they are not forcing you to do anything. Now if they were lining their own pockets with it, that'd be a little more fishy, but I'm not sure it'd be illegal.
Old 09-26-07, 06:57 PM   #18
OldDude
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

It isn't necessarily groceries, this happens in other big chain stores too like Canadian Tire. You mostly see this on weekends, i.e. it isn't store employees bagging your groceries/items, it's kids raising money for a school activity, some hockey or soccer tournament, etc... So they are all wearing their boy scout uniform, or hockey/soccer shirt, and THEY are the ones bagging your groceries/items. Next to them is usually some sort of container where you can deposit a buck or two if you want, before you leave with your stuff. So, at the end of the day, if the kids managed to collect $1,000 from customer donations, the store takes a cut, which varies from 10 to 25% in some cases, depending of the amount raised.
I've never seen that. What is common here is letting groups set up a table to sell candy, Girl Scout cookies, etc.
Old 09-26-07, 07:38 PM   #19
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDude
I've never seen that. What is common here is letting groups set up a table to sell candy, Girl Scout cookies, etc.
Here in New York we have groups of teenagers aggressively hawking M&Ms, etc. at street corners on on the train for their "basketball team".
Old 09-26-07, 07:46 PM   #20
Spicollidriver1
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I see if this at cub foods/supervalu all the time.
Old 09-27-07, 04:40 AM   #21
mndtrp
DVD Talk Legend

I've never seen this sort of thing before.
Old 09-27-07, 07:39 AM   #22
AGuyNamedMike
DVD Talk Legend

When I was a bagger for Safeway in my teens (early '80s) we actually had to go to a full day "courtesy clerk" class at the regional training center. There are very few right ways and a hell of a lot of wrong ways to bag groceries. I'd rather bag my own than have some kid too young to even get a job as a bagger mangle my purchases. Hell, nowadays the trained (theoretically) store employees do a crappy job of it anyway. Grrrr.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.

Last edited by AGuyNamedMike; 09-27-07 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-27-07, 08:23 AM   #23
johnglass
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:

It isn't necessarily groceries, this happens in other big chain stores too like Canadian Tire.
American tires don't fit in bags. That's where you went wrong.
Old 09-27-07, 08:25 AM   #24
Pointyskull
DVD Talk Reviewer

Haven't seen it with grocery stores, but I know our nearby Tweeter Center concert venue does that with the concession stands: local charities work the food booths and get a small percentage of the take.

My wife worked it once when she was with the Jaycees, and the workload seemed to far exceed the minimal amount of money raised.
Old 09-27-07, 08:42 AM   #25
starman9000
DVD Talk Legend

Haven't seen the baggin, but we always have kids doing carwashes in the parking lots of local grocery stores, I guess I would be a little annoyed if I found out some of the money was going to the store, regardless of what they do with it. On the other hand, I suppose you can just look at it as an expense the kids need to pay to raise their money. (for example, kids selling candy bars to raise money have to actually pay for the candy bars, it's not 100% profit for the charity)
Sponsored Links