Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-26-11, 12:34 PM   #26
Abelkems
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Pigeon Forge Tennessee - Give me some suggestions about vacationing there

There is also a big, new water-park resort just north of Pigeon Forge called Wilderness at the Smokies. I took my kids there in the Spring, and they loved it. It's crowded and overpriced, but so is everything else up there.
Old 10-26-11, 12:38 PM   #27
covenant
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose View Post
BUMP

What's the temperature like in May or June? How's the humidity? Planning on going next spring.
Mid 70s to mid 80s. Humidity shouldn't be that bad in the spring.

I suggested Volunteer cabin rental in a previous post. I'll add this one as well since I'm pleased with our experience with them.
http://www.countryoaks.com/
We went the first week of December last year and woke up on our last morning to a winter wonderland. Awesome.
Typical fucking yank, happy to flag wave and spout jingoistic freedom style bullshit about being proud to be an American, but pissed off when anyone else shows they are proud of their culture or heritage.
Old 10-26-11, 12:42 PM   #28
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

The Possum Cookbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dork View Post
This is some usage of the word "obviously" to which I have heretofore not been exposed.
Old 10-26-11, 01:06 PM   #29
Quake1028
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
How long will you be staying?
Should someone tell him? Guys?
Old 10-26-11, 01:11 PM   #30
superdeluxe
DVD Talk Legend

damnit
Old 10-26-11, 01:12 PM   #31
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

Old 10-26-11, 01:59 PM   #32
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 10-26-11, 05:33 PM   #33
Charlie Goose
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by covenant View Post
Mid 70s to mid 80s. Humidity shouldn't be that bad in the spring.

I suggested Volunteer cabin rental in a previous post. I'll add this one as well since I'm pleased with our experience with them.
http://www.countryoaks.com/
We went the first week of December last year and woke up on our last morning to a winter wonderland. Awesome.
We've been looking at Elk Springs Resort for a cabin in Gatlinburg. It's ranked #1 on Trip Advisor. My wife was initially reluctant to stay in a cabin because she thought it meant dirt floors and no fun, until she saw the pictures of some of them. Prices are comparable to regular hotel rooms too.
Old 10-26-11, 05:39 PM   #34
TomOpus
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
damnit

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 10-26-11, 08:42 PM   #35
joe_b
DVD Talk Special Edition

Growing up, Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg was the only destination my parents would take us to for vacation. Hadn't been there in years, but I finally returned with my dad and brother this past summer. Way, WAY too many overpriced tourist traps and gift shops for my taste. It was kind of depressing.

We decided to stop by Dollywood for old times sake. While we were in the lane to pay for parking, a giant rock the size of softball came smashing into the front of our car, narrowly missing the windshield. A park employee was using a giant riding mower a few yards in front of us. He was staring nervously as we got out to inspect the damage (it scarred up the front grill). The guy got off the mower and started giving it a look over. His nervous body language was a clear indication that he was aware he had ran over the rock that hit our car.

We spent at least two hours dealing with park security. We had the parking attendant as a witness to the accident, yet no one wanted to claim responsibility. We were treated like it was our fault. To get anything done, we had to open a report with the local police. A patrolman arrived, questioned the guy on the mower (who played completely innocent). They tried to re-enact the scene to see if someone could have thrown the rock from the hill above -- which was proved impossible. Dollywood security came up with every scerario in the book to avoid liability.

Finally, one of the managers came out and took our information. He said our case would be "reviewed" and they might be able to work something out. Eventually, we sent them a quote for the damage and their insurance cut us a check. Still, it was a very bogus ordeal and turned us off from ever visiting Dollywood again. The cost of the repair was less than we paid for three one-day admissions to the park.
Old 10-26-11, 10:21 PM   #36
MoviePage
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I live less than an hour away. It can be a diverting one-day destination, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it as a vacation spot. Some of the cabins available for rent are indeed beautiful.
Old 10-27-11, 07:37 AM   #37
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Hero

Gatlinburg is nice, but I was miserable the entire trip. I goofed and wasn't even thinking about allergies when I booked it. Not a good spring vacation if anyone in your group has allergies. Also the week(end) we went there was some car convention. Traffic was at a stand-still for days.

Now Playing
Infamous: SS | Almost Finished Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Old 10-27-11, 08:12 AM   #38
Cardsfan111
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Also the week(end) we went there was some car convention. Traffic was at a stand-still for days.
I've made a visit or two, and had friends who have reported a similar experience, but I think there's some kind of convention going on all the time. At least on weekends.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 10-27-11, 11:26 AM   #39
covenant

Every time I've went the main thoroughfare was bumper to bumper. A quicker way in and out (depending on where your coming from of course) is Hwy 73/321 out of Maryville. Hell, anyway would be quicker than the direct route to I-40.
Typical fucking yank, happy to flag wave and spout jingoistic freedom style bullshit about being proud to be an American, but pissed off when anyone else shows they are proud of their culture or heritage.
Old 10-27-11, 11:28 AM   #40
covenant

Quote:
We've been looking at Elk Springs Resort for a cabin in Gatlinburg.
The theater rooms in some of those are unbelievable!
Those are a little pricer than the ones we rent.
Old 05-11-12, 11:46 PM   #41
Charlie Goose
DVD Talk Legend

BUMP AGAIN!

I'm leaving for Tennessee tomorrow! Staying in a cabin facing Mount LeConte in Gatlinburg.

I'm pretty excited about it.
Old 05-12-12, 09:30 AM   #42
edstein
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Stay in the cabin and avoid pigeon forge.
Old 05-12-12, 10:19 AM   #43
TomOpus
DVD Talk Hero

Don't go in the cellar and start playing with stuff.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 05-12-12, 03:21 PM   #44
Charlie Goose
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Don't go in the cellar and start playing with stuff.
Sheeet, you're preaching to the choir. Don't think that's not gonna be on my mind the whole time.
Old 05-12-12, 09:13 PM   #45
seven
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've heard some people really like the new(ish) Titanic museum/attraction, but I haven't tried it. I too prefer just going to Gatlinburg and getting a cabin & staying there most of the time. Maybe go to The Peddler or Alamo for a steak.
Old 05-13-12, 11:07 AM   #46
creekdipper
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
Growing up, Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg was the only destination my parents would take us to for vacation. Hadn't been there in years, but I finally returned with my dad and brother this past summer. Way, WAY too many overpriced tourist traps and gift shops for my taste. It was kind of depressing.

We decided to stop by Dollywood for old times sake. While we were in the lane to pay for parking, a giant rock the size of softball came smashing into the front of our car, narrowly missing the windshield. A park employee was using a giant riding mower a few yards in front of us. He was staring nervously as we got out to inspect the damage (it scarred up the front grill). The guy got off the mower and started giving it a look over. His nervous body language was a clear indication that he was aware he had ran over the rock that hit our car.

We spent at least two hours dealing with park security. We had the parking attendant as a witness to the accident, yet no one wanted to claim responsibility. We were treated like it was our fault. To get anything done, we had to open a report with the local police. A patrolman arrived, questioned the guy on the mower (who played completely innocent). They tried to re-enact the scene to see if someone could have thrown the rock from the hill above -- which was proved impossible. Dollywood security came up with every scerario in the book to avoid liability.

Finally, one of the managers came out and took our information. He said our case would be "reviewed" and they might be able to work something out. Eventually, we sent them a quote for the damage and their insurance cut us a check. Still, it was a very bogus ordeal and turned us off from ever visiting Dollywood again. The cost of the repair was less than we paid for three one-day admissions to the park.

Sounds like you'd have had better luck arguing that Dolly stretched & popped a button off her blouse which became a potentially-fatal projectile.

Advice for Gatlinburg (for kids): Don't get your dad to buy a Mingo-style whip from a gift shop. You & your brother might rue that decision in the near future when you misbehave back home.

Pigeon Forge is good if you love outlet malls. Otherwise, just chill out in the mountains & enjoy nature.
Old 05-13-12, 11:38 AM   #47
Lone Wolf

Quote:
BUMP AGAIN!

I'm leaving for Tennessee tomorrow! Staying in a cabin facing Mount LeConte in Gatlinburg.

I'm pretty excited about it.
There is a tv/movie car museum in Gatlinburg. About the only thing they didn't have when I went several years ago was an A-team van. I may have posted them here before but I'll try to put up some pics from the place later.

www.starcarstn.com
Old 05-13-12, 01:52 PM   #48
Lone Wolf

A few pics. It's been around 5-6 years since I was there. The place is definitely worth checking out if you are a movie fan, which I'm assuming you are since this is dvdtalk.

some of the other cars

Dragula
Elvis' 76 Lincoln Continental
55 T-bird signed by the Beach Boys
Ecto 1
General Lee
KITT
Smokey and the Bandit Trans am
truck from Twister
Andy Griffith's patrol car
General Lee
Batman Returns batmobile
Old 05-18-12, 09:37 AM   #49
Charlie Goose
DVD Talk Legend

Got back late last night. Nice trip, although we got a lot of rain.

We did go to the Hollywood Car Museum, it was cool. There was a good ol' boy with single-digit teeth who got positively orgasmic when he saw the Andy Griffith police car with Don Knotts' authograph on the dashboard.

The cabin was beautifully decorated and very comfortable, although it was a little further from attractions than I thought it would be (20 minutes to Gatlinburg, 30 to PF). I guess that's what made it so nice, very quiet and remote. Didn't see any bears though.

Gatlinburg was less of a garish tourist trap than PF, although parking was a lot easier in PF.

Will post some pictures when I load them on the computer.
Old 05-21-12, 01:00 AM   #50
JesseCuster
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I grew up in Knoxville and lived there until my very late teens. I've been to Gatlingurg/PF many a time. I actually remember when much of the land between the Sevierville turn and the forest area before Gatlinburg was pasture. And this was in the late '70's, not the '40's. The area has exploded like no other I've ever seen. My advice...if you're in the area for nature or to relax, go to Gatlinburg or the Smokies and get a chalet in the winter. They're quite nice. But if you have to see something in Pigeon Forge, be warned. Unchristly traffic and a lot of stuff there that sounds better than it looks.

BTW, if you're a baseball fan and since it's the time of year, coming off I-640 (if you go that way out of Knoxville), if you take a left instead of a right toward Sevierville, you'll run right into the home of the Tennessee Smokies, the current home of I think the Chicago Cubs minor league AA affiliate. I say I think because they've been the affiliate of 3-4 major league organizations over the last decade. It's a beautiful stadium BTW.
Sponsored Links