Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-28-07, 01:21 AM   #1
scarredgod
DVD Talk Special Edition

jeopardizing job with a bumper sticker?

maybe someone could help me with this question.

I work at walmart and i am very interested in putting a couple bumper stickers on my car that says F*CK WAL*MART and I was wondering if I could get in trouble for that at work. It seems like I would have the freedom to do that but I dont know for sure.

does anyone know for sure? thanks!
Old 08-28-07, 01:32 AM   #2
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, you can get in trouble (probably fired). No, you don't have the freedom to do that. I'm willing to bet that you haven't really read your employee handbook very well, have you?

And why do you work for a place you hate to that extent? That's pathetic, dude.
Old 08-28-07, 01:32 AM   #3
DeputyDave
DVD Talk Legend

Quiting would send a better message.

I worked there for six months as a Department Manager when they opened a new store 12 or 13 years ago (we opened on Black Friday, that was a mess). I quit the day they informed me of my 10 cent an hour raise. I actually laughed in the store manager's face and droped my smock on the floor as I walked off.
I hold no hard feelings though, and actually shop at Wal-Mart once a week. If people are willing to work there for low wages so I can shop for cheap, then so be it. If not, quit and get a better job. I did.
Old 08-28-07, 01:50 AM   #4
Josh-da-man
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarredgod
maybe someone could help me with this question.

I work at walmart and i am very interested in putting a couple bumper stickers on my car that says F*CK WAL*MART and I was wondering if I could get in trouble for that at work. It seems like I would have the freedom to do that but I dont know for sure.

does anyone know for sure? thanks!
If it's the car you drive to work and park in the employee parking area, then the answer is probably "yes."
"Two guys in a bathroom stall ó it feels like the most important place in the whole world in that moment. I've actually gone into bathroom stalls with friends since I quit, just so I still have a little bit of that bonding." - Lars Ulrich
Old 08-28-07, 02:00 AM   #5
DeputyDave
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
If it's the car you drive to work and park in the employee parking area, then the answer is probably "yes."
Unless things have changed they don't have a lot they just have to park on the far side of the public lot.
Old 08-28-07, 06:58 AM   #6
fmian
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Most employee contracts stipulate that you can't do something that might be a detriment to your employer.
If they can determine that Walmart loses business because of your bumper sticker, they can probably sue you too. Regardless of whether you work there or not. That's how it is in Australia anyway.
I work in retail and I know that if I ever said something bad about my workplace on the internet, and head office found out, I'd get fired.

My Flickr Page
Old 08-28-07, 07:02 AM   #7
Venusian
DVD Talk Hero

who still puts bumper stickers on their car?
Old 08-28-07, 07:04 AM   #8
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

new yorkers who hate bush and cheney
Old 08-28-07, 07:10 AM   #9
starman9000
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy
Around here it's NRA members and hippies. But mostly anyone who needs to keep their bumper from falling off.
Old 08-28-07, 07:11 AM   #10
Brian Shannon
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusian
who still puts bumper stickers on their car?
Really, bumper stickers are lame.

I think you should put them on your blue apron
Old 08-28-07, 07:38 AM   #11
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

Just start greeting customers with, "Welcome to Wal-Mart... sucker!" That would be more efficient.
Old 08-28-07, 08:00 AM   #12
DarthVong
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Get a I <3 K-Mart bumper sticker instead
Old 08-28-07, 08:19 AM   #13
Minor Threat
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for putting something on your car I get to try and explain to my seven year old son who reads everything and anything he sees. I just don't think that displaying blatant profanity on your car for everyone else to read is "cool".....
Old 08-28-07, 08:32 AM   #14
bauermj

I would think a more meaningful stance would be quitting employment for their corporate wheel.
Old 08-28-07, 08:34 AM   #15
lotsofdvds
Suspended

If you can get fired for blogging about how much you hate your job, then yes, you can get fired for saying it in a bumper sticker.
Old 08-28-07, 08:35 AM   #16
nemein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Threat
Thanks for putting something on your car I get to try and explain to my seven year old son who reads everything and anything he sees. I just don't think that displaying blatant profanity on your car for everyone else to read is "cool".....

That brings up another point in that the OP should check local/state laws to make sure they won't get in trouble. I knew someone w/ a WV that had FUKNGRVN (or something like that) written on his car who went to SC one time. When he came back he had a piece of cardboard (on which he wrote "censored") taped over it that a state trooper made him put on there.

"When you look really deep, we are all kind of shallow" -- unknown

My Countdown Counting down to: End of the countdown clock
2258 days 22 hours 27 minutes
Old 08-28-07, 08:44 AM   #17
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy
And Bloomberg.
Old 08-28-07, 08:47 AM   #18
Toad
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Likely you're an at-will employee, meaning they can terminate you as long as the termination is not based solely on race, national origin, or gender.

People have been fired for less, so proceed at your own risk.

[P.S. If you really hate your employer, a better solution may be to quit and find a job you like.]
Old 08-28-07, 09:29 AM   #19
NCMojo
DVD Talk Legend

Good article here.

The author makes the (excellent) point that the First Ammendment simply defines the limitations of the government, or the public sector, in restraining free speech. It does not address at all the private sector, who are only bound by specific anti-discrimination labor law. When you add that into the "at-will work" statutes found in most states... you can (and probably will) be fired for putting that bumper sticker on your car, and there really isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

It is your right to put that bumper sticker on your car. But free speech isn't free. You have to be willing to pay the price.

The Official Cabinet
Old 08-28-07, 09:34 AM   #20
Seantn
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
And why do you work for a place you hate to that extent? That's pathetic, dude.
Agreed, although i'm guessing maybe you're just doing it so your co-workers will think you're cool - But still. If you hate Wal-Mart, just quit. It's sad to see people just settle for something that makes them so miserable.
Old 08-28-07, 09:37 AM   #21
lotsofdvds
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMojo
When you add that into the "at-will work" statutes found in most states... you can (and probably will) be fired for putting that bumper sticker on your car, and there really isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

It is your right to put that bumper sticker on your car. But free speech isn't free. You have to be willing to pay the price.
Yep. Employment isn't a right. Getting fired for being an ass is perfectly justified.
Old 08-28-07, 10:12 AM   #22
GoVegan
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Yep. Employment isn't a right. Getting fired for being an ass is perfectly justified.
Ain't you heard of the Declaration of Independence? Free speech and all that.
Old 08-28-07, 10:15 AM   #23
McHawkson
DVD Talk Legend

I work at Parts Plus warehouse and I wore Pep Boy and Auto Zone t-shirts, they didn't fire me.

Croc RULE!
Old 08-28-07, 10:22 AM   #24
RunBandoRun
Needs to contact Admin about multiple accounts

Location: Formerly know as"Vibiana"/Living in a van down by the river
"If you work for a man, in heaven's name, work for him. Speak well of him and stand by the institution he represents. Remember an ounce of loyalty is worth a pound of cleverness. If you must growl, condemn, and eternally find fault, why -- resign your position, and when you are on the outside, damn to your heart's content. But as long as you are part of this institution, do not condemn it. If you do, the first high wind that comes along will blow you away, and probably you will never know why."

--Elbert Hubbard
Old 08-28-07, 10:35 AM   #25
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Why in the world would you do that? I'm no walmart fan, but that just seems childish.

How old are you?
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Sponsored Links