Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-16-07, 03:46 PM   #1
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My truck was hit in the parking ramp, what should I do

I tried not to make a misleading title, I hope this was sufficient.

So, I come out after work and see a big black spot on my rear bumper. It appears somebody rubbed against my truck while parked. (pics to follow)

Surprisingly enough, this person left a note.

This being Michigan, it is a no fault state so I think I need to contact my insurance company, which would then deal with their insurance.

I don't know whether to try to clean the spot and see if it cleans up sufficiently, contact my insurance company, or see what the person wants to do.

I don't know what value to put up for the mark, because replacing the whole plastic bumper would be in the $300 - $500 range be my estimate, just for the part.

I don't necessarily want to make a claim, but I don't want a to make a claim either.

What would you do?
Old 08-16-07, 03:50 PM   #2
ukywyldcat
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd have the kind person who left you the note fix it no matter what.

If you can get rid of the mark with just a cleaning and a little wax, that's your call. I'd only consider that if it were a vehicle you bought rather than leased.

If it was a leased vehicle, I'd definitely have it checked over and fixed, so the creditor can't ding you when they take the car back.

You should do something nice for the person though, since they left you a note. That is rare these days.
Old 08-16-07, 03:52 PM   #3
Shoveler

If the person left a note, it seems like they're going to be willing to take responsibility for the damage, which is decent of them and lucky for you! I'd contact them first and see what they say. I suspect you could sue them rather than file a claim (what is your deductible, BTW?), so they might just pay for the damage. Definitely start by talking with them AND getting an estimate or two. Oh, and if its just a smudge and not a scratch or dent, trying to clean it up first would be a good idea as well.

I am officially creepy -- hilts
Old 08-16-07, 04:30 PM   #4
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It is a truck that I (almost) own. It is not terrible, but it is "in" the palstic.

Here are some pics.

Old 08-16-07, 04:32 PM   #5
brooke789

Not sure how that 'no fault' stuff works...I've actually never heard of such a policy.
Anyway, about 2 yrs ago my parked car was hit in a parking lot except the person who hit me did semi-major damage and did not leave a note. We called the police on the spot and filed the accident report. Then, we went to our insurance and the claim went under our 'un-insured motorist' policy (which is required in SC). So, we had to pay just $200 (the deductible) to have our $1000 damage repaired and it did not make our policy premium go up because it was not our fault. Anyway, unless your state is different because of the 'no fault policy' it shouldn't cost you a lot of money to have it fixed through the insurance. Car repairs costs can really add up fast even though they might not seem too serious.

Wii -- 0283 5694 5792 5772
Old 08-16-07, 04:32 PM   #6
ukywyldcat

Oh yeah, that looks like shit. I'd have them fix that.
Old 08-16-07, 04:38 PM   #7
bunkaroo
DVD Talk Legend

I had two different cars hit on the back bumper and crumpled in the past few years while in a parking lot. Neither left notes. Neither job was under $600.

Thankfully I keep a low deductible. I would definitely have the person pay for it to be fixed, because to have it done right it will almost definitely be over $500 if they have to paint.
Old 08-16-07, 05:14 PM   #8
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No paint involved.

I think I will email the person aand see if they want to pay out of pocket, or if I should file a claim.

Typically in MI, a driver's insurance will pay for their own repairs. I have heard that when legally parked, it is the other driver's responsibility.
Old 08-16-07, 06:16 PM   #9
ben12
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonw9
I don't necessarily want to make a claim, but I don't want a to make a claim either.
This line made me laugh.

Read Poop Office at http://nakedgrapecomics.com
Old 08-16-07, 07:14 PM   #10
Gambit
DVD Talk Special Edition

I doubt they would be able to repair that to the original condition. It would probably be replaced, maybe in the $400 range + labor? Contact the other person and let him decide if he wants to pay out of pocket or not.
Old 08-16-07, 07:16 PM   #11
Bacon
DVD Talk Legend

get some of the buffing gel and see if that works

-must be nice-
Old 08-16-07, 07:26 PM   #12
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

What would I do? Nothing. It's a cosmetic blemish. Big whoop. Then again, I don't idolize vehicles.
Old 08-16-07, 07:50 PM   #13
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
get some of the buffing gel and see if that works

-must be nice-

It is a textured plastic bumper, so there is no buffing.

I am dropping them an email to see how they want to proceed.
Old 08-16-07, 08:14 PM   #14
AGuyNamedMike
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numanoid
What would I do? Nothing. It's a cosmetic blemish. Big whoop. Then again, I don't idolize vehicles.
And it's a mere scuff. On the bumper. Of a truck.

On the other hand, even if you get it fully repaired, you'll know (you'll just know) that the damage was there. It will gnaw at you day and night, and in the end you'll have to sell it and get a new one. Might as well do it now.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 08-16-07, 08:21 PM   #15
mkdevo
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
what does idolizing have to do with wanting a piece of property that you paid for to stay in good condition?
Old 08-16-07, 08:28 PM   #16
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdevo
what does idolizing have to do with wanting a piece of property that you paid for to stay in good condition?
It's not a silver tea set, it's a vehicle. You drive it on tar, gravel, and dirt. You drive it in the rain, snow, sleet and hail. You don't clean your shoes off before you get inside, and you probably throw empty McDonald's bags in the back seat. So now it has a little black smear on the bumper. Oh no.

You know, they're called "bumpers" for a reason, right?
Old 08-16-07, 08:32 PM   #17
mkdevo
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well, maybe it's just me, but i don't treat my car like shit. much in the same way i don't treat my home like shit. considering those are the two most expensive things i own, i tend to take pretty good care of them both.

if something's broke, especially at the fault of someone else, it's going to be fixed.
Old 08-16-07, 10:08 PM   #18
Giantrobo
DVD Talk Hero

This is why whenever possible I park further away from other cars. At least the person left a note.
Old 08-16-07, 11:19 PM   #19
Ocelot
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:

same here... i got one of those bad days (tight spot and smudged the front bumper of a shitty sport car), i paid the guy $70 (he wanted $80 initially, but took $70 instead).

as for my car? sigh, minor dins here and there... you can't really avoid them if you park outside of your garage.

If the car is new, i'll leave a note too... but if it's so shitty, i don't give a fuck.
Old 08-16-07, 11:21 PM   #20
Giantrobo
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocelot

If the car is new, i'll leave a note too... but if it's so shitty, i don't give a fuck.
Wow... oh well.
Old 08-16-07, 11:49 PM   #21
Altimus Prime

I say get an estimate for a complete repair from your preferred body shop. If the other driver doesn't want to pay cash, then call his insurance company and file a claim. You shouldn't have to call yours.

And yeah, I take care of my vehicle, too. I've never damaged someone else's car. And I do my best to keep my car far away from others whenever possible because I assume most people are inconsiderate pricks and will ding it and whatever... I get a lot of exercise walking across parking lots.
Old 08-17-07, 08:06 AM   #22
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
You know, they're called "bumpers" for a reason, right?
Look, it's fine if you don't like Ukrainians, but there's no need for that kind of talk here.
Old 08-17-07, 08:31 AM   #23
wildman1037
DVD Talk Special Edition

In Michigan, you call your OWN insurance company. I don't know who your insurance company is, but with AAA if your car is parked, and it's hit by another car, you don't pay any deductible, and they can't raise your rates for filing a claim.

I don't know if this is true with other insurance companies.
Old 08-17-07, 09:12 AM   #24
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I check my email after praying to my vehicle this morning.

He person ( HUA, not sure if male of female?) already filed a claim with their insurance.

If I recall correctly from the past, my insurance would pay for the damages if I didn't know who hit me, and contact their company if I did know.

As for the damage, I would probably have been willing to shrug it off and clean it up for $50-$100, as it is "just a truck", on the other hand, it has gone 5 years and this would be the most significant damage (that has not been repaired). I don't idolize material things, but I don't like having crap either.
Old 08-17-07, 09:13 AM   #25
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
This is why whenever possible I park further away from other cars. At least the person left a note.
Not really an option in a ramp, but I will try to tuck further between other cars in the future.