Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-29-07, 03:15 AM   #1
Boba Fett
DVD Talk Reviewer

Anyone know anything about Retail Data Collection?

Whilst searching for a part time job in my area, I ran across this:
http://rdcapp.nielsen.com/PTRDC.html

Now, I know Nielsen is a very legit group. However, that job description just sounds odd. Is this a common thing in retail stores, someone coming in with a handheld scanner and going through the store? I would think some stores would kick them out, or is their some sort of arranged agreement between stores and Nielsen.

If anyone has had or knows someone whos had one of these jobs, would you recommend it? To me it sounds too good to believe, since I'm looking for really limited hours of work, but I guess for most its not even close enough hours to make a living on.
Old 07-29-07, 04:52 AM   #2
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

You probably would be scanning in the very late hours or the very early hours of the store's operation. I highly doubt you would be on the floor during regular consumer hours. And I am sure the store has an arrangement with the company doing the data collection. I highly doubt stores just let people with barcode scanners walk in and start scanning their inventory.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 07-29-07, 05:02 AM   #3
Boba Fett
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
You probably would be scanning in the very late hours or the very early hours of the store's operation. I highly doubt you would be on the floor during regular consumer hours. And I am sure the store has an arrangement with the company doing the data collection. I highly doubt stores just let people with barcode scanners walk in and start scanning their inventory.
The odd thing is I think I encountered someone doing this a year ago. They had a scanner and notebook and I asked them were a certain item was, but they replied "Sorry, I'm not a store employee."

The local ad the link was posted in said times of work would range between 8am and 5pm, M-F.
Old 07-29-07, 12:31 PM   #4
Sean O'Hara
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Most retail stores have outside auditors come in to check how the store's running -- sales items are priced correctly, clothes sized properly, enough registers are open, etc. Just make sure you're working for a reliable company -- Nielsen would be one -- because I've heard horror stories from people who've been given the runaround because the stores are slow in processing the data, and they can't get paid until that's done.
Old 07-29-07, 12:35 PM   #5
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett
The odd thing is I think I encountered someone doing this a year ago. They had a scanner and notebook and I asked them were a certain item was, but they replied "Sorry, I'm not a store employee."

The local ad the link was posted in said times of work would range between 8am and 5pm, M-F.
Interesting. I guess the type of work required doesn't matter if the store is full of customers or maybe the data collected requires it be during times of average daily traffic. Good luck getting the job, though.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."