Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-18-07, 10:47 AM   #1
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Did Red Robin double their prices in the last year?

Okay, you know I don't get to the big city very often, but Saturday I went. Wanted to eat at Outback at the mall but they don't open until 1 pm. How frickin stupid. If you don't want to open until 1pm, get a location that isn't at the mall. Anyway, so I go to Red Robin instead. Every burger seemed to be $10. Every salad was around $12. A regular drink was around $4.50. I was blown away. This wasn't downtown Seattle, this was the Vancouver Mall. So for my family and my brother in law and his wife, it ended up being $104. It seems like the last time we ate there, it was about half that much. Maybe a little more than half, but DAYAM!
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 06-18-07, 10:50 AM   #2
brooke789

They just opened a Red Robin near me in Jan/Feb. We went about a month or so ago and the prices were basically what you just said. My husband had a hamburger that was about $9 and I had a chicken sandwich that was about $10.

The non sandwich entrees were all $12 or so.

Wii -- 0283 5694 5792 5772
Old 06-18-07, 10:52 AM   #3
paulringodaman
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did you eat double the bottomless french fries?? I hope so for those prices. Or have they eliminated that???
Old 06-18-07, 10:52 AM   #4
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

$10 for a burger?

around these parts for that much money you get organic Kobe beef
Old 06-18-07, 10:53 AM   #5
brooke789

I think they still had bottomless fries when we went. I had a salad as my side...I love restaurants that let you get a salad w/o an additional cost!

Wii -- 0283 5694 5792 5772
Old 06-18-07, 10:58 AM   #6
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Hero

We just got our first RR here. Other than the pricing, which matches what you said, it is my new favorite place to get a burger. Yum.

I'll accept the $9 burgers and bottomless fries because it is so tasty, but I have a serious problem with $4 strawberry lemonade. They are free refills, but the two times I've gone the server is so slow with bringing and refilling that I only get 1 maybe 2 refills.

Now Playing
Infamous: SS | Almost Finished Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Old 06-18-07, 11:00 AM   #7
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

Where can I get a Kobe beef burger for $10? Old Homestead debuted theirs at $41, and that was four years ago. I don't even want to know what the price is now.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 06-18-07, 11:04 AM   #8
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't say it doubled in the last year, but prices have gone up.

I want to say that each burger has gone up $1-$2
The drinks went up $1

With all the people you had there, the extra couple $ adds up quick

I usually get water. It is amazing how just ordering water can take $10 off the check these days.

Many burger places around me slightly above the fast food level are $8-$10 for a burger/fries/soda these days. Red Robin isn't the only one.

I have been told, you ain't seen nothing yet. As the push to grow corn to make ethanol continues, ALL food prices will rise as a result. Gas/Diesel is going to get hit too, so to transport all foods will increase as well.
Old 06-18-07, 11:16 AM   #9
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Well, considering how rare it is that we go somewhere like that, I'll live. But it does seem like most people living in those areas would end up going a fair amount less. But then, I don't buy $3.50 coffee, either, and I hear that is big in the cities.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 06-18-07, 11:44 AM   #10
chanster
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

talk about price increases, Jimmy John sandwiches have gone up a lot. they used to be something like 2.75-3.00 for the normal ones, now they are 4.25 - they priced themselves out of the reason I went there.
Old 06-18-07, 11:46 AM   #11
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Well, considering how rare it is that we go somewhere like that, I'll live. But it does seem like most people living in those areas would end up going a fair amount less. But then, I don't buy $3.50 coffee, either, and I hear that is big in the cities.
That's with $1 off coupons. I stopped going to Starbucks regularly once I did the math on getting two $5 coffees/frapuccinos each time I was there.

Old 06-18-07, 11:48 AM   #12
Lateralus
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have seen the Red Robin increase as well, I only go there once or twice a year and I could tell the prices went way up. I don't see myself paying $10.00 for a burger and a smidgen of fries and a $4.00 drink.
Old 06-18-07, 11:53 AM   #13
El Scorcho
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG

I have been told, you ain't seen nothing yet. As the push to grow corn to make ethanol continues, ALL food prices will rise as a result. Gas/Diesel is going to get hit too, so to transport all foods will increase as well.
This is a secondary factor though. The real rise in Red Robin costs is just trickled down from having to pay 7 different high schoolers to greet you as you walk in the door.

Then one more to walk you to your table.

Then another to come by and let you know that (name) will be your server tonight and that they'll be by shortly.

Then the waiter/waitress.

Then the completely different person that brings out your food.

Then six other ones whose lone purpose is to sing the birthday songs.

Then the porters.

Then six completely different ones to say goodbye to you on your way out.
Old 06-18-07, 11:53 AM   #14
j123vt_99
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus
I have seen the Red Robin increase as well, I only go there once or twice a year and I could tell the prices went way up. I don't see myself paying $10.00 for a burger and a smidgen of fries and a $4.00 drink.
To be fair, it is unlimited fries and they are really good

sometimes all it takes is a slammin' hottie to make you dig down deep and discover who you really are - Scrubs
Old 06-18-07, 12:00 PM   #15
El Scorcho
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by j123vt_99
To be fair, it is unlimited fries and they are really good
Yeah but the ones that come with your meal are always luke warm. You need to pre-order a basket of refill fries as you order your meal.
Old 06-18-07, 12:01 PM   #16
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

I didn't know you could do that until I ate there last week. I usually go there 2-3 times per month and always have their Chicken Teriyaki sandwich. If you only have water, it's not a bad deal.

Old 06-18-07, 12:03 PM   #17
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

So you drove like 700 miles to eat at an Outback? How do you live where you do and not kill yourself?
Old 06-18-07, 12:03 PM   #18
devilshalo
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Wanted to eat at Outback at the mall but they don't open until 1 pm. How frickin stupid. If you don't want to open until 1pm, get a location that isn't at the mall.
Chik-fil-a has survived in a mall not being open at all on Sundays. And now they have their own friggin' place outside of the mall and they still won't open on Sundays.
Old 06-18-07, 12:04 PM   #19
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

- yeah, I would say that I eat out less these days too for lots of reasons, the cost being one. Taco Bell in general and Mcd's $1 menu are about the only cheap eats out anymore.

Even pizza has gone way up in cost. We use to be able to get 2 large 1 topping pizzas for $12.99 delivered from several delivery places. Then it went to $14.99, then $16.99, now it's $20 unless you get the crappy dominos $5 $5 $5 bullshit.

As for the $3.50 coffee, yeah I can make better coffee at home. I got one of those Toddy cold brew things due to a thread on here some time ago and I still love it. I get some coffee from a local Vietnamese store that is $3/can and that brews me enough coffee to last about 2 weeks. Since I love the Cafe Su Dan in the local Pho restuarants here, I just ask them to give me the coffee that would be used in making that and I have been given good stuff so far
Old 06-18-07, 12:05 PM   #20
devilshalo
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
This is a secondary factor though. The real rise in Red Robin costs is just trickled down from having to pay 7 different high schoolers to greet you as you walk in the door.

Then one more to walk you to your table.

Then another to come by and let you know that (name) will be your server tonight and that they'll be by shortly.

Then the waiter/waitress.

Then the completely different person that brings out your food.

Then six other ones whose lone purpose is to sing the birthday songs.

Then the porters.

Then six completely different ones to say goodbye to you on your way out.
So damn true!
Old 06-18-07, 12:11 PM   #21
El Scorcho
DVD Talk Hero

By the way, I once sent an email (out of sheer boredom at work) to Red Robin corporate complaining about the price increases at the one by my work. This was back in early 2002.

Their response (and I'm not making ANY of this up) consisted of saying that many restaurants in the area had gone up in pricing almost 400% since 9/11 and that their prices were a marginal increase due to increased costs.

I sent the girl a reply saying that I was still paying $8 for a burger at Old Chicago and have yet to pay $40 for one.
Old 06-18-07, 12:17 PM   #22
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

What restaurant has had a 400% increase in pricing?

Old 06-18-07, 12:21 PM   #23
SuperJim88
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Gas price. Everything bad that's happening to our lives can be attributed by the gas price.

Why is Palestinians fighting each other? Gas price.
Why Brad Pitt ditch Aniston for Jolie? Gas price.
Why is Paris in jail? Gas price.
Why did Kvrdave drive hundreds of miles for Outback Steakhouse only to find out it doesn't open until 1pm when he could've easily find out about the hours of operation online in minutes? God knows.
Old 06-18-07, 12:48 PM   #24
Hiro11
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like eating at Red Robin, but the sheer size of their burgers, combined with their refusal to publish nutritional information, makes it unlikely that eating there often is a good idea. Seeing as a Big Mac is about 600 calories, I'll bet several of their burgers push 1000 calories, minus the fries.
Old 06-18-07, 12:53 PM   #25
devilshalo
DVD Talk Hero

I just hate the service.. the food is fine, but like Scorcho said, all those people that work there (or seem to work there) and they never come by to take your order (seems like they all pass the buck), check on you for drink or fries refills (once your food comes they disappear for an hour), I have to track down whoever was our waiter/waitress to get the check.